✧The Earthe of the Elves✧

By StoriesbyAvery

"Upstairs!" I hear a yell and pounding footsteps. I crawl out of the window until I'm hanging from my hands... More

Note + aesthetics
1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34
35
36
37
38
39
40
41
42
43
44
45
46
47
48
49
50
51
52
53
54
55
56
57
58
59
60- Epilogue
3 & 4 - Knox
28- Knox
30 - Knox
59 - Knox
Extra chapter:)

17 - Knox

62 2 1
By StoriesbyAvery

Knox's POV

--------------------

Tonight I head to the alcove, my favorite spot to think. I found that I couldn't sleep, no matter how much I tried. I kept tossing and turning until I finally decided to just get up.

Sitting on the floor, looking out over the city of trees, a peacefulness washes over me. I love looking out over Bhailewood- the view never gets old. But even as I watch the last elves head home for the night, I can't help but replay the events from earlier today.

Most of all I feel guilty.

It's hard to admit, but I feel bad for yelling at Mia. She has a right to be angry, and she probably still is. I didn't tell her about the Cin watching her mom, but what was I supposed to do? Tell her, which would make her want to come with me? Bring her with me, and let her get taken by the Cin? No way. She's barely trained, not even trained with weapons yet. I could defend her against a few Cin, but a whole onslaught of highly trained, hundred-year-old elves against a 18-year-old elf- who is highly trained, but still- trying to protect himself and a half-blood with barely any training? It would for sure get us caught if we were spotted. I just couldn't risk it. I'm not sure what kind of fate brought Mia here, but she's here for a reason. Something important.

I make a mental note to try and figure out what that reason might be. But for now, I just know that I need to protect her. If the Cin get her- I shake my head, ruling out that possibility. It's too dark to think about right now. And by 'dark' I don't mean sunlight. I run a hand through my brushed-out blond hair, deep in thought. The stars blur as my thoughts take over my senses.

A few minutes later I hear footsteps, so quiet they would be undetectable to anyone but an elf. I keep looking at the window, figuring it's probably the guards. But as they get closer I realize it's the sound of a teen, not an adult. When she breathes out a surprised gasp, probably at the beauty of the view, I know who it is.

Mia is standing in the hallway, and when I shift to look at her she looks over at me, startled. She's wearing long night pants and a white and black jacket, the same one she wore when I first brought her to Earthe. It must be one of the only things from her home she has now. Her hair is a bit tousled but flows softly down over her shoulders.

"Oh, I can- sorry, I can go if you want-" Mia starts to say.

"No, no it's fine," I reply quickly, almost automatically, "I just come here to think sometimes."

She nods and walks over, standing by the couches for a second, as if hesitating, before padding over to where I am, sitting across from me and looking out at the view. We just sit there, looking out the window.

I glance quickly at her every once in a while. With the fire at her back, her face is cast in shadow, but the glow of the moon shines a white-blue glow on her face, a soft light that just barely highlights her green eyes, mapping out her cheekbones and lips. I look away just as quickly. When my eyes fall to the wood floor I, oddly, find myself wanting to look up again. Instead, I decide to break the silence first.

"Couldn't sleep?" I ask.

"Nope," Mia says softly, continuing to stare out the window. "You couldn't sleep either?"

"Nope."

"It's so pretty here."

"I know. It's my favorite spot in the tree."

She nods, looking around with more wonder in her eyes that I've seen in a long time- maybe ever. It lights up her whole face despite the darkness, a half-smile on her face.

"I'm sorry."

I look over, wondering what she could possibly be sorry for.

"I was angry, I shouldn't have yelled at you earlier. I know it wasn't your fault."

I turn to face her, searching her eyes. I've been thinking about what to say to her for a few minutes, and I suppose I should start with an apology as well.

"I'm sorry too," I say, "I didn't have to get frustrated, I know what you're going through must be tough. And maybe we could've talked about it..."

Mia laughs a quiet, breathy laugh that sounds loud in the silence of the night. The fire pops behind her.

"No, you were right. About not telling me, I mean. I guess it was easier to know after. I probably would've gone insane if I knew what you were doing when you were gone."

I smile a little, looking back out the window. I suppose she has a point. When I look back she is looking out over the trees again, and I take a brief moment to study her in the darkness and silence.

Her skin is glowing from the moonlight, her shiny hair falling down around her, framing her face perfectly. There's something different about her... Something that takes a second of looking at her to sink in. When it does, I smack myself in the forehead mentally for not figuring it out sooner. I noticed it when I first saw her. It's because she's not an elf- not completely, anyway. She's not perfect, and that's what makes her unique here.

With elves, everything is perfect. Flawless skin- Mia's skin is smooth, but there is always a red hue to her cheeks. It makes her seem more alive.

Elves always have nice hair, it's always smooth and shiny- Mia has obviously just gotten out of bed, and her hair is a little roughed up, not the perfect sleek I'm used to seeing.

Her body isn't perfectly muscular like most elves are from a lifetime of training. Her nose isn't perfectly straight and her posture isn't tall all the time. It's the fact that she's not perfect that makes her actually pretty beautiful.

The minute the thought pops into my head I blink in surprise. I've never blatantly said that, even in my head, about her. But I push the thought away quickly. Mia is here to help us possibly win a war. I think. And you have more important things to be thinking about right now. Even as I tell myself this, I almost feel another part of me shaking my head.

As Mia turns away from the window I notice a shadow of sorrow cross her face.

"What?" I ask, my voice soft. I am genuinely curious as to what she's upset about. Yes, obviously I have friends, people I care about outside of the palace walls, but I've never met anyone like Mia before. I've seen humans from far away on my visits to Earth, but I've never been this close to one- well, half human. I've never quiet met someone like her besides the human part too. She's gone through more than most of my friends, and in a complete different scenario- knowing nothing about what's going on. But she's been strong, stayed positive- most of the time. She has to be one of the strongest people I know. She rivals Elanil in kindness as well.

Mia shrugs to my question, a tiny movement of her shoulders.

"I just thought about going home. To Earth. It's gonna be weird, after being here. Earth seems pretty lame compared to this."

The laughter that follows is short-lived.

"Yeah... But hey, don't get too focused on going home yet." I meet her eyes, waiting for a response.

"Why would you need me here though? I mean, when will I be able to go home if the Cin are there?"

I'm a bit stumped by her question. I don't know the answer. I look over her shoulder, into the dancing orange flames behind her.

"I don't know. I honestly don't know."

After that, we fade into silence, but a comfortable one- not tense. I came here to think, considering I couldn't sleep. I didn't want company. I didn't think I did. But having her sit across from me now, it's not that bad. We're both just looking out over the city, only lit by the lanterns far below. Both just sitting in silence and enjoying the presence of another elf- or do they say person?

Nobody ever comes into the alcove this late. Nighttime is quite a vulnerable time for elves- for me, at least. I don't have any weapons on me, I'm tired and not dressed for anything but sleep. But then again the same goes for Mia.

I can tell she's tired when she starts to get up- my acute senses pick up how her gait is different as she stands, the fogginess of her usually alert green eyes. I have to admit I'm pretty tired as well.

"I'm gonna go," She says, yawning. I nod, standing with her.

"I'll walk you back to your room," I reply. After what happened, I don't want to risk anything happening. I don't have any weapons on me right now, but I can still fight a lot better than Mia. It's also just a nice thing to do.

I stand gracefully and walk with her, the silence engulfing us as the crackle of fire fades.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

135 22 25
For over a hundred years, humanity has lived in fear of the monsters that roam the streets, lurking in the drains below. Women and their daughters hi...
116K 7.3K 45
#1 in Reverse Harem and #2 in Harem on 08/28/2021 #4 in Harem on 9/30/21 #17 in Romance out of 1.91 million stories on 1/16/22 #4 Paranormal 12/11/22...
11.9K 742 39
Born an elf into a world where elves are hunted and killed, twenty-two year old Faeda fears she may be the last of her kind. Hiding amongst those who...
29 6 5
**My debut novel is available for pre-order with all major online retailers from 11/03/2019** This is just the first five chapters, which are also a...