Everyday Hero

By Cleria2000

Sure, Richard "Dick" Grayson has saved many people as Robin and now Nightwing. But in the uniform he can use... More

Hero
Support
Diagnosis
My Son...
Secret? Not Anymore...
Progress?
Crippled
Family Problems
Visitors
Discomfort
Say Something
Miracle?
Struggles
Spoilers
Let's Try It
Time To Go
Baby Steps
Come To Me
One Of Those Days
Back Again
Taste Of Freedom
So That Secret...
Nightmare Scenario
Tough Decisions

If Only

398 19 6
By Cleria2000

Dick glanced up from his current book as Alfred entered the living room from the kitchen, carrying two cups of tea and some blueberry scones with him, Dick's favorite.

It's been a few days since Dick received the forearm crutches and since then this has become their nightly routine, starting at--

Dick glanced at the clock and hummed to himself.

8:30 pm, right on time. As soon as Alfred took his place next to him, Dick turned his head behind him and glanced toward the hall leading to the elevator, a longing look taking over his face. Bruce and Tim went out to patrol just over half an hour ago.

Alfred noticed his wistful look but decided not to say anything, it wouldn't do anything anyway. It's best just to help him try to relax.

And perhaps tonight it would be easier, as Barbara decided to take the night off of patrol and stay with Dick. She just had to finish up homework for one of her college classes and she would be right over.

Since Dick had gotten the crutches he's become a bit more restless. He's repeatedly said he wants to go down to the Batcave as he insists he can at least work on the computers, besides it's just an elevator anyways.

Which is all true of course, but it's well known that Dick has a stubborn streak and all too often can get in way over his head. They didn't want him to risk straining himself... or more accurately, to risk temptation on Dick's part.

But of course, no one was going to say that last part to his face... even though they were all thinking it.

But in all honesty, maybe they, or mainly Bruce, were being a bit too paranoid.

Seriously, what harm was there in him going to the Batcave?

At least, that was Dick's thoughts on the matter.

Dick was pulled from his thoughts when Alfred turned the TV on, flicking through a few channels.

He let out a gentle sigh and cautiously crossed his legs before putting the book down on the armrest and trying to focus on the show.

Ah well, it wouldn't do him good to linger on these thoughts, not when he was supposed to be relaxing. Besides, Babs should be coming soon.

A smile started to grace his face as this thought occurred to him and his muscles started to relax.

But that didn't last long.

The show was suddenly interrupted and changed to the local news station as breaking news flooded in.

"Oh dear..."

Dick's fists clenched the armrests.

The reporters were currently covering a hostage situation at Gotham National Bank. Apparently a robbery gone horrible... however Alfred and Dick knew it was more likely tied to the mob.

There was a quick streak of black quickly followed by red near the ceiling... no doubt Batman and Robin.

Dick looked over to Alfred with a nervous look in his eye but Alfred was already on the phone, likely with Barbara.

Fine...

Dick's eyes returned to the screen, but he quickly put the footrest down and grabbed his crutches, moving himself to the edge of his seat, barely noticing Barbara when she entered the house and nearly ran down to the elevator.

He hated just sitting here. He wanted to help, if only he could--

But his mind froze when a loud boom and flash came through the feed.

His eyes widened and his heart started racing, all you could see was a cloud of smoke and dust. But when the smoke and dust cleared a bit, only about a quarter of the building was still standing.

But still Dick's mind was frozen. Until he heard the screams coming through the feed.

His brain and body immediately woke up again, he grabbed his crutches and forced himself to his feet trying his best to ignore the harsh stab of pain. He stumbled just a bit before righting himself, his legs not used to the sudden force.

Alfred quickly put a hand on his shoulder and looked for a moment like he was going to tell Dick to sit back down... but instead he merely helped him walk as quickly as possible to the elevator and quickly opened the door.

The ride to the Batcave only took a few seconds but might as well have taken an eternity to the two men.

Once the elevator stopped, Dick nearly tried to run to the computer, held back only by Alfred talking sense to him. He would be no use to anyone if he caused himself to fall.

Before Dick had even sat down he was already pulling up a four-way comm. system.

The communicators in Batgirl, Batman, and Robin's suits were connected to one in the computer, allowing an occupant of the Batcave to talk to each hero at the same time, and allow them all to talk to each other at the same time as well. It was also possible for Dick's suit to do this as well... but he'll have to settle for the computer. Along with the comm. system he pulled up the current live feed of the scene. The screams have gone silent... he tried not to think about what that might mean.

"Batman, Batgirl, Robin-- this is the Batcave. What's your status?"

Batgirl is the one who immediately answered.

"... Nightwing?"

Dick swallowed.

'I guess...'

"Yes, what 's going on?"

There was a brief moment of static on Barbara's end followed by a harsh cough from her before she was able to answer again.

"A bomb, unsure what kind right now. Four civilians dead so far..."

A short pause before a muffled curse.

"Make that five."

Dick's brows furrowed.

"No survivors?"

"Not so far... oh God. There's a kid in here. Can't be any older than ten."

Alfred came up behind Dick and rested a hand on his shoulder.

"Batman and Robin are not coming through, is there any sign of them?"

Another harsh cough from Barbara and then a slight muffled sound as if she was kneeling down.

"No..."

Dick frowned and looked over to a button on the computer terminal.

If he presses that he can get in contact with the League. Hopefully Clark is available... that is if he hasn't already heard--

"Wait-- the kid is still breathing!"

More muffled sounds came through the speaker followed by a few short gasps and small cry.

"He's breathing but it's labored. Covered in blood, bleeding from the mouth... definitely has a collapsed lung. Hey, hey shh. It's okay, I'm going to get you out. Don't talk okay? Just keep breathing and don't fall asleep okay?"

Dick ran a hand over his face and sighed deeply.

'Good God... come on Bruce, Tim. Check in.'

"Nighwing, I got to get this kid out. I'll come back and check for more survivors once he's taken care of."

Alfred suddenly walked away, likely to prepare the medical area.

"Right, I'll try Batman and Robin again."

His eyes glanced at the button again and moved the chair closer to it.

"Batman, Robin, can you hear me?"

Only static came from their ends and Dick had to work to keep his nerves at a minimum. So useless...

Dick was about to give up and call for Clark when he heard a slight wheeze from Batman's end.

"Batman? Are you there?"

A moment of silence passed. Then...

"Yes... Nightwing."

Dick had to close his eyes and take a deep breath, having to restrain himself from snapping at Bruce about taking his sweet ass time to respond.

"What's your status?"

There was a short cough on the other end and shuffling.

"I'm fine, but I'm sending Robin back in the Batmobile."

Dick's stomach flipped, memories of Jason's death flashing in his brain before he was able to reel in his thoughts.

"What--"

A muffled curse came from the other side along with the sound of a wall crumbling.

"He's unconscious and his head is bleeding... it may not be too serious but I'm not going to take chances. The blood seems to be from a cut across his forehead and I believe he was hit with a piece of debris."

Okay...

"... he's on the way."

Good, thanks to the Batmobile it should only take a few minutes... got to love auto-pilot.

"What happened? The mob or burglary?"

"Neither as far as I know... it was actually a suicide bomber."

'Suicide bomber... at the bank?'

"At... the bank?"

Batman muttered something before speaking up once more.

"Apparently his girlfriend, well ex-girlfriend, worked here."

"Is she... dead?"

A short pause from Batman's end before he answered again, his tone darkening even more.

"Most likely. I have to go Nightwing. Gordon is here."

He didn't say another word before he disconnected.

Dick leaned back in the chair and rubbed his face, trying to calm the new wave of anger coursing through his body.

Suicide bomber...

'That son of a bitch... you didn't need to take anyone else with you.'

His eyes snapped open when he heard the door opening and wheels screeching on the floor.

He grabbed his crutches and pulled himself up as quickly as he dared.

When he made it to the car, Alfred was already peering inside, talking to Tim... talking?

He... was awake.

"I'm fine Alfred... just got knocked out for a bit. And head wounds bleed a lot, you know that."

But Alfred was having none of it.

"We shall see Master Tim, put your arm around my shoulder... that's it. Now come, we're going to get you fixed up and that's that. You and Master Bruce are incredibly lucky your Kevlar protected you like it did."

Despite the circumstances, Dick let himself smile a little. He thought for sure he was going to find his little brother dead. He reached into the car and pressed a button on the dashboard, basically a 'return to sender' type button. This way the auto-pilot will drive the car back to Bruce's coordinates.

Once the car took off, Dick happened to glance across the cave to where the uniform cases were. Only his Nightwing suit and old Robin uniform were left.

Dick merely scowled and turned away to follow Alfred and Tim.

If he hadn't been hurt all those months ago he would have been with Batman and Robin tonight... he could have helped them. And the civilians...

--------------------------------------------

James's eyes were glued to the TV screen, his young son, Danny, sleeping peacefully in his arms, completely oblivious to what has just happened.

His wife, Mara, came to sit beside him just as Batgirl came out of the rubble, hurriedly carrying a young child to the waiting paramedics.

A sharp gasp came from her mouth and she quickly laid a hand on her son's head, gently stroking his hair back.

A young woman with soot covering parts of her body came back into view with a microphone, apparently the reporter who was covering the hostage situation before the bomb went off. Luckily, she and her team were far enough away to prevent serious damage.

"It... it appears the only survivor so far is a young child below the age of ten. The adults who were around him are believed to be his parents and are now known to be deceased. As far as we know this was a deliberate act by a suicide bomber and the police force is still working on finding more survivors. Batman and Robin arrived at the scene just moments before the bomb went off... it appears Batgirl arrived just moments after..."

Mara made a light humming noise, as if pondering something.

"That's odd... where was Nightwing at? He should've been there helping."

James was quiet for a moment before carefully getting up without waking his sleeping child, he merely kissed Mara on the head before heading to Danny's room, saying he'll put the boy to bed.

He gently put the boy in his racecar shaped bed and tucked him in before bending down to give him a soft kiss on the forehead.

He stared at his son for a moment before sitting in the rocking chair next to the bed.

'So many dead and now a new orphan...'

He was still for a second before a heavy sigh shook his body and he covered his face with his hands, a tear escaping his eye.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

294 1 20
Dick Grayson, who looked like an ordinary rich boy at the first glance, hides a big secret. Even from his most beloved girlfriend- Kylie Walker. Howe...
5.5K 191 11
Nightwing finds himself in a difficult situation. Unable to ask for help, Nightwing must make a life or death decision. Dick went into this thinking...
2.1K 84 6
Things have been going pretty well with his family so far. He has a place he can call home, brothers who will answer his every call regardless of the...
572 41 10
Bad things happen in Gotham all the time. Damian really shouldn't let what happened get to him. But when he sees the newly orphaned Dick Grayson tryi...