What are men to rocks and mou...

By RedShirtEnterprise

December 1st, 1944. Lieutenant Havers leaves for the new North-Africa front, but never returns alive. Leaving... More

The beginning
The arrival
The revelation
The Inspector
The reunion
The library incident
The letter
The language of the flowers
The embrace
The nerves
London
The bridge
The acceptance
The Garden
The fields
The confidant
The letters - part two
The Time-travellers' story
The return
The Time-traveller's apprentice
The hour that was
The hour that wasn't
The plan
The end

The other man

66 3 0
By RedShirtEnterprise

There was only one week left to the party, and the pressure had started building at Button house. The house was now nearly all decorated- and the past week had been uneventful for them, a fact that Alison couldn't be more grateful for. There weren't a lot of uneventful days at Button house, but the ghosts now had William to entertain them alongside her, and she'd made it very clear she didn't want to be bothered while planning this event. Luckily they'd listened for one, which meant they would only bother her when William was at work or if they needed her specifically for something. It was simply blissful, having some time for herself- and Mike. They'd finally gotten to have a movie night a few nights ago, just the two of them, and Alison had slept through the entire week without being disturbed at 9 AM by over enthusiastic Kitty's or Poetry-reading Thomas's.

Julian had been dreading the event, probably more than anyone. The fact that a big company had chosen to rent out the entire house to throw an extravagant party was something that was all too familiar to him, so much so that he'd brought it up during one of Pat's clubs. It was good that the others had managed to calm him down somewhat, but he still felt more uncomfortable as the day of the event drew nearer. Kitty on the other hand, couldn't be more excited. They'd spent the last few days all collectively sighing at the hyper girl's imaginings of the party, and what she would wear if she could, and what food there was going to be.

It was a good time for everyone, but most of all for William and Teddy- who had been spending most of their time in the garden together. Though the cold December winds could be a bit mean sometimes, the sun was out most days, which was unusual for England this time of year- but neither of them had complained about it. The weak sunrays gave off just enough warmth for them to sit comfortably on a little bench with a cup of tea on the backside of the house, facing the garden where William's flowers had now fully started to bloom.

"The garden really does look lovely, William." Theodore commented, taking a look at the black tulips that had started to peek their heads above the surface of the cold dirt. William gleamed at the compliment, a blush forming on his cheeks- which were already rosy from the cold wind. He gently leaned in a little closer to the man, letting his head fall onto his shoulder and brushing his hand against the Captain's. His hands were cold, and strangely felt a little too smooth, texture less. But William didn't mind, and after a second he wound his fingers through Theo's- whose breath hitched a little at the action. For one, blissful moment it was just them, enjoying the sunrise together in a world where nobody else existed. Theodore never wanted it to end. But then William replied;

"Thank you, Teddy. But without Dave's advice I don't think I would have got them to grow as they have." He replied- to which the Captain frowned and looked at him.

"Dave?" He asked, confused. He'd never heard that name before, at least not that he knew of. He released William's hand, putting it firmly back on his swagger stick.

"Oh, haven't I told you about Dave yet? He's my co-worker at the flower shop. But he's become a very close friend to me." He said. The Captain watched as a fond smile grew on William's face, and his heart dropped a bit. "You know," William began again, looking back at the Captain. "He's like us. You know..." He faltered, unsure of the best way to say it. He was still kind of uncomfortable saying it out loud, but he also wasn't sure what word to use. Homosexual? – Too old fashioned... Gay? – Meant something completely different in his time...

"He isn't interested in women." He eventually settled on. The Captain's figurative heart jumped at that. A hint of jealously instantly wormed its way into his head, planting a seed that wouldn't go away, no matter how much he convinced himself there was probably nothing going on between the two men. Havers had confessed his feelings towards him just a few days before. He wouldn't have done that if he'd been interested in this Dave.

"Ah, that's splendid. Jolly good." The Captain said, trying to hide the fact that he didn't think it was splendid at all. But Havers seemed to buy it, because he turned back to the garden briefly, before checking his watch. It was nearing half past 11, which meant Dave was going to be here any minute to pick him up from work.

"You could meet him? He's an amazing chap. He's coming to pick me up for work in a few minutes." Havers replied, pulling at the soft sleeves of his hoodie. He hadn't liked most of the modern clothes, but these hoodies he could live with. It was like wearing a pyjama and a jacket at once- he could see why Mike loved them so much. He'd begun to dress more casually over the last few days as well, having already gone through most of Mike's dress shirts. And although he didn't like most of the clothes per se, he had gotten more comfortable in them.

The Captain didn't reply, but he had a far-off look in his eye, staring past William onto the driveway of the manor. That's when William's phone began to rang, startling both of them. He quickly fished the phone from his pocket with a sheepish smile. "So sorry... Oh, speak of the Devil." He said jokingly, flashing the Captain the screen stating 'Dave' in bold letters. "Is it okay if I take this?" He asked the Captain, who quickly shook his head. "No, no. Go right ahead. Can't keep young David waiting."

William fumbled with the touch screen a bit, but managed the pick up the phone, a smile appearing on his face as he presumably heard Dave's voice. The Captain zoned out, it wasn't exactly good manners anyway to listen to someone's telephone calls. His mind wandered off to the man, what kind of person he was, why William seemed to taken with him. They must have gotten close at work...

"Alright, see you in few minutes then. Goodbye." William said, bringing the phone down from his ear and frantically pressing the button to stop the call. When it left the call screen, he looked back to the Captain. "He's a few minutes later."

The Captain huffed at this, mumbling; "Wouldn't have been necessary to telephone over that."
William either didn't hear it or ignored it, stepping towards the back door of the manor.

"Well... I'll guess I get ready then." Havers said, excusing himself with a quick smile at the Captain, who didn't seem to hear him, lost in his own thoughts. After getting inside and gathering his things he could only just make out the shape of a car pulling up in the driveway through the big windows in the study. He grabbed his coat of the rack and hurried outside, just about spotting the Captain before turning to Dave, who was standing outside of the car with one of his bright smiles aimed directly at William.

"Bill! How is it man?" He asked, opening his arms- expecting a hug. Dave loved hugs, as William had come to find out over the past couple of weeks. It was still a bit strange to Havers, who had grown up in a time where it was taboo for men to hug... well anyone. Let alone another man. But he couldn't say he hadn't gotten used to it, Dave gave the best hugs. He gratefully accepted the hug and shot Dave a friendly smile, greeting him back.

"So, you ready for today? Got a big delivery of pots coming." Dave said teasingly. It was always hard work when they had to unpack deliveries, but usually they would put on some music and have a nice talk while doing it.

"Well. We should get going then, we're not getting any younger." William replied, jokingly.

The Captain was still at the edge of the garden, watching them as they got into the car. Before William got in, he shot him a quick loving smile, giving a little wave. After that they were off, driving through the gates and off towards the village.

He decided he didn't want to go inside just yet, and absentmindedly walked over towards the driveway, soon finding himself at the edge of the property and instinctively hesitating- before realising there was no more need. He crossed it without a second thought, slowly walking down the small road. He didn't have a destination, he just let his feet carry him wherever- his mind was somewhere else anyway.

The Captain sighed, feeling an ache starting to form in his chest as he remembered William's words from earlier.

"We're not getting any younger."

He wouldn't. He'd grow old someday, he still had his entire life ahead of him. The possibilities were endless for him. He could accomplish his dreams, career goals, hobbies... He'd be able to grow as a person, beat his record lap around the house with a bit of training, no cold air needed. And it was something that the Captain would never be able to partake in.

He'd begun to doubt if someone else, maybe someone like that Dave might make William happier. It felt like he was an impostor. Like he'd been hired for a job where there were dozens of people more qualified for than him. Dave would be able to grow old alongside William. They'd be a nice, normal couple- living their lives in tandem, learning and developing together. And although jealously burned the back of his mind at the thought of Dave being with William, he couldn't shake the feeling that in the long run Dave would be able to give William more than he ever could.

Yes he could touch things now, but the fact remained that there was no air leaving his lungs, no blood pumping through his veins, no heart beating in his chest. How could he possibly get into a proper relationship if didn't even have a heart? How would it even work? Other people would never be able to see him... Havers would look like a crazy person anytime they'd go out together.

He had spent so long wishing for William that he had never stopped to think what might happen after he'd gotten him. And no matter how much he might have wished otherwise, one of them was still very much alive, while the other was decidedly not. Could he be so selfish to keep playing charades? To keep pretending that one of them was literally no longer a real person? That their relationship wouldn't be incredibly dysfunctional? That it could never realistically work?

He sighed deeply, trying to relieve some of the heavy feeling on his chest.

It didn't work.

"Well, I've got to be honest and tell you that I've never really liked Poetry. I preferred getting on with my electronics. Most I've read were the manuals for the radios I built, but those were hardly poetic." Pat stated, in response to the question what their favourite poetry was. Thomas had brought up the idea for a poetry club last week- an idea that wasn't instantly welcomed with open arms, but that he had insisted on every single day since. So Pat- being the good guy he was, decided it was best to just get it over with.

Thomas gave a dramatic gasp, offended.

"You must be pitching the gammon. You mean to say you've never heard good poetry?" He asked, putting his hands to his side and staring Pat down. Pat glanced around the room, seeing the other rolling their eyes already.

"Well... yeah- kinda." He replied, shrugging his shoulders slightly. Thomas fumed at this, huffing offendedly as he turned up his nose.

"Well sir, I shall take that to mean you find my poetry appalling." He said, turning around and starting to walk off, presumably towards the lake. Pat hesitated for a second, debating whether or not to go after him. He turned on his heels a few times, before running after the regency ghost. "No Thomas, that's not what I meant!-" "Poppycock! You made your sentiments quite clear..."

As the voices disappeared down the hall, the others remained in the library, silent. That was until Julian spoke up. "Well. That was certainly an interesting turn of events. Well, as the Captain would say: Any other business? Yes. This party." He said, using his hands to emphasize his problem in that very MP way he always does. The others could only groan in anticipation of what was coming.

"Oh come on Julian, you know Alison want this to go well-"
"-Ah, ah, ah, ah, ah! No! This house is a democracy, you know. She is not Rémi. She's not alone on this world. This is not Without Family-"
"Oh for goodness's sake Julian. We are not helping you mess up Alison's party." Kitty snapped, obviously annoyed. Her mind had instantly gone to the last time when the Coopers had almost sold the house. Fanny hummed in agreement from across the room, giving Julian a stern look as she did so.

"Yes. And I better not see you planning anything. This is a very important event, with very important people coming. I'll not have you ruin the first high-class party this fine house has seen in decades. I'll be keeping my eye on you, young man." She said, standing up and promptly leaving the room. Kitty followed with a huff, after which Robin and Mary walked out as well. Julian remained, rolling his eyes to himself.

"Very well... challenge accepted." He mumbled, fixing his tie and coat with a sly smile before leaving the room as well.

Havers had been at work all day, moving boxes of the new stock with Dave. The man hadn't been kidding when he said it was a big delivery. But, he still had great fun unpacking everything and putting it away in the small storage unit behind the shop. They'd made a bet who could unload the most boxes the quickest- a bet that Dave had naturally won. He'd been doing this for years. But Havers had given him a good run for his money, it was a close call.

When he finally stepped back into the house after Dave dropped him off, he tiredly let himself fall onto the couch, utterly exhausted. He stayed there for what felt like hours, just breathing into the cushions and enjoying the peace and quiet- until he heard footsteps coming down the hall and into the sitting room and then a surprised; "Ah! Will!"

He looked up from where his face was buried in the cushions, seeing Pat standing next to the sofa. He bounced on his feet and gave him a small wave, giving him one of his signature happy smiles as he bent down a little to get on Haver's level.

William sat up, facing the scout leader with a curious look, shooting him back a smile.
"Hi Pat, what's up?" He said, a bit awkwardly. He'd picked the phrase up from Dave last week, but hadn't really had the chance to use it yet. Pat paused for a bit, seemingly debating the best way to phrase whatever he was going to say.

"Have you seen the Captain anywhere?" He asked eventually. William shook his head, he hadn't seen him since that morning when he left with Dave.

"No I haven't. You haven't seen him all day?"

Pat shook his head in response. "No, I thought he might have told you something. It was his turn to pick the movie tonight, and he's never missed it before." He said, glancing out the window, as if he were to find the Captain miraculously there. William stood up, grabbing his coat from where he'd thrown it across the edge of the sofa.

"You've checked the house?" William asked Pat, who nodded. "Yeah, positive he's not inside. I'm getting a bit worried though, you know... maybe he got sucked off..."

William choked on his breath at the words, launching into coughing fit as Pat stood there sheepishly, miming a pat on William's back as he rode it out. "Sorry, I meant moved on. Seems Mary's been rubbin' off on me." He said with a small laugh. William nodded, giving a weak chuckle as well, before putting on his coat- glad to have an excuse to leave the awkward air in the room after that misunderstanding.

"I'll see if I can find the Captain outside then, I might know a place or two."

Pat nodded, raising his hand. "Thanks Will! I hope you'll have more luck than me."

William trotted through the long hallway, taking in the setting sun through the small window above the front door as he reached the foyer. He slipped out the door, taking in the fresh air as he did so- somewhat grateful for the cold. He crossed the gravel, the grass (he was lucky didn't notice him walking across her precious lawn), and made his way over to the side of the house, where the gardens led out to the lake and the woods behind it. It used to be a getaway place for the Captain. Whenever he had things to think about Havers would find him at the lake. Standing there for hours consumed by thoughts, watching the sun reflect onto the muddy waters.

Havers had the sneaking suspicion he would be there, suspicions that were confirmed when he saw the familiar straight back, swagger stick clenched in both hands behind his back. His face was grim, his eyes narrow, and he hadn't spotted William until he was standing close enough to read out and touch the man.

He jumped a little, when he finally realised he wasn't alone- spotting someone from the corner of his eye. His stick flew from behind his back as a defence mechanism, but once he realised it was only William, he relaxed a bit- a relaxation that didn't last long, because he tensed up again almost immediately.

"Oh- hello Havers. Didn't expect to see you here." He said, composing himself ever so slightly- never one to like looking like he isn't in control of any given situation. William gave him a small smile, trying to make him feel more at ease.

"Pat told me nobody had seen you all day. We were a bit worried."

The Captain shot him a glance, eyes squinted and tried his best to give him a smile. It didn't seem to convince his ex-lieutenant of its authenticity though, as the man's smile fell and his brow furrowed. It was hard, seeing the man concerned like that. But his realisation from earlier that day had broken something in the Captain. Where before he was looking forward to every future smile William would shoot his way- every day they would spend together in the future... would now be barred by the knowledge that William would grow old and die alone. From the moment he realised there was no future for them he had made up his mind. Just because he couldn't life his own life any longer, didn't mean he couldn't- in good consciousness- let William live his. William would be better off without him

"Ah, thank you Havers. I've just been enjoying the weather." He said shortly, attempting to distance himself from the man, both mentally by acting coldly and physically by taking a few steps back. It was already so much harder than he'd anticipated as he glanced back at his former lieutenant and he saw the man was already staring at him, puzzled. He didn't take the hint though, because he stepped closer, and grabbed the Captain's hand.

"Teddy, if there's something wrong I-" He began. He could tell there was something on the Captain's mind. He'd been like this before, and it was usually something he felt like he couldn't share, something he couldn't figure out by himself but was too stubborn for to ask for help with. William tried stepping closer again, and grabbed the Captain's hand like he'd done that morning, but this time the man shook his head slightly and pulled his hand back.

William's face fell as he awkwardly stepped back, looking at the Captain with a hurt expression.
"No, no. Everything's absolutely fine Havers." The Captain began, trying to at least stop him from worrying while he still could. He wanted to take a step back from William, give him the chance to explore his relationship with this... Dave. See the world with a person that could give him the life he deserves. But he and William had only just grown closer... he'd have to do it slowly- act as if he'd lost interest- or Havers would never believe him. Maybe it would be easier too, for the both of them, to drift apart 'naturally'.

His non-existent breath hitched as he took yet another step backwards, away from Havers.
"Well, I'll head inside then." He said shortly, promptly turning around and walking back towards the house, leaving William standing next to the lake with an open mouth.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

588K 32.5K 40
the king of the richmond reunites with the prince of crime.
3K 74 21
How does someone fall out of love and then fall back in love with another person in just the span of two weeks? Ask George, he did it. **** WARNING...
30.2K 1.1K 37
When Finley Bowers decided to study abroad in England, he wasn't expecting to fall in love. But when Harlyn Evans shows up in his life, he brings a w...
5.6K 397 16
YINWAR FAN FICTION War had a long-term boyfriend, but he ended up getting sick and died, and now he sees someone who looks like his long-term boyfrie...