After (A Power Rangers One-Sh...

By CemeteryFaerie

Power Rangers old and new must come to terms with an unthinkable loss. This one-shot was written with love in... More

AFTER

160 10 26
By CemeteryFaerie

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This one-shot was written for the Ranger Nation in loving memory of Jason David Frank. It is intended to help the fandom process our own feelings about JDF's tragic death by seeing characters we know and love experience and cope with this loss. I want to honor JDF's memory and his contribution to Power Rangers while still touching on how much this loss has affected those he left behind, including the fans.

This fic will be emotional and may be triggering to some readers. There is mention of suicide, but the fic takes place after the event has occurred, so there are no graphic details. Please only read this if you are in a safe place mentally and believe you can handle it. I am including a list of suicide hotlines at the end of the story in case anyone needs help.

Ranger Nation, please remember we are here for each other. Know that you matter, you are loved, and your life is so important, even if it doesn't feel that way to you sometimes. If you are struggling, please reach out and talk to someone. I promise you, people care. I care.

AFTER

KIMBERLY
Somehow, she knew something was wrong. One moment, everything was fine. The next, for just a second, it felt like someone had sucked all of the air from the room.

She wasn't entirely surprised when her phone began to ring. Kimberly Hart took a deep breath and forced herself to be brave as she answered it with a nervous, "Hello?"

"Kim..." Billy Cranston began. In that one syllable was an enormous amount of pain. It sounded like he was holding back tears as he tried again. "Kimberly, something happened..."

"What's wrong?" She managed to ask.

"It's Tommy."

Just like that, the world stopped. She knew where this must be going, but maybe if she stopped Billy from continuing, she could tell herself it wasn't true. "Don't," she whispered.

"He's gone, Kim... He's gone."

Her legs gave out beneath her. There was no one there to catch her, and she fell onto her hands and knees as grief overwhelmed her. She couldn't speak... She couldn't breathe.

"Kimberly?" Billy called gently.

She wanted to reply. She wanted to tell him she was still there, and that she heard him. Instead, she let out a sob that only expressed a small amount of her pain. Finally, she managed to ask one thing; "How?"

Billy hesitated. "I'll be there in ten minutes," he replied.

It felt like hours passed and yet like no time had passed at all when Billy finally arrived. Kimberly opened the door and immediately broke down crying in Billy's arms as he stepped inside. He guided her toward the couch and sat there holding her, trying to soothe her despite obviously being upset himself.

"What happened, Billy?" Kimberly finally found the strength to ask.

"Kim..." Billy began. It was clearly difficult for him to say the words. "He killed himself, Kimberly. Tommy killed himself."

She stared at him in disbelief. "He couldn't have," she replied. "He wouldn't, Billy! Someone must have done this to him! He wouldn't leave us... He... He wouldn't..." She started sobbing again.

"I'm sorry, Kim," Billy said softly.

"It's not true... It can't be true."

"Katherine called me herself. She's pretty devastated, but she pulled herself together to tell me what happened... She had a bad feeling, but by the time she was able to check on him, it was too late."

"Kat called you?" Kimberly repeated. "Kat called... Kat told you... Oh God... Oh my God... It's true..."

"It's true," Billy confirmed.

This couldn't be happening, yet it was. Kat and Tommy weren't married anymore, but Kimberly knew they still loved each other. If Kat had called Billy, Kimberly could no longer deny it was real.

"Oh, Tommy..." Kimberly whispered as reality fully sank in. Tommy was gone. She'd never see him again.

Tommy Oliver, the first boy she'd ever loved, was dead. They had broken up when they were still teenagers, but he'd always remained one of her closest friends. Kimberly loved him dearly, and if he was gone, the world no longer made sense.

JASON

The last thing Jason Lee Scott expected when he answered his phone was to hear Billy start rambling in a shaking voice. He was speaking so quickly Jason couldn't understand him at first. Finally, he cut him off. "Billy, slow down! What's wrong? What happened?" He asked.

"It's Tommy, Jase..." Billy said softly. "Tommy's dead, and Kimberly's broken, and I have no idea what to do right now because there's no way to fix any of this."

He took a moment to process Billy's words. "I don't understand," he said after a minute. "How did he die?"

"It was suicide, Jason. Kat got worried and called the police, and they found him."

"How's Katherine?"

"She's trying to hold herself together. She called Rocky, so I know she's not alone."

"And Kim?"

"I've never seen her this broken."

"Where are you right now?"

"I'm at Kim's house. She cried herself to sleep in my arms."

"I'm coming. I'll be there in a little while. Just take care of her until I get to you guys, okay, Billy?"

"I will," Billy promised.

As Jason hung up the phone, he took several deep breaths. He and Tommy had always had a strained relationship. They were friends, and they always would be, but there had been a lot of tension between them over the years. They'd competed against each other in Martial Arts and in life, often battling for the role of leader of the Power Rangers. In the end, Tommy had won that fight, taking control of not only their team, but all teams, acting as a mentor or ally whenever there was a battle to be fought against evil. Tommy's entire life was about being a Power Ranger. It basically defined his existence, and he embraced his role in the Universe with pride.

Tommy could be stubborn and even arrogant at times, but at his core, he was a good man. He cared about others, and he gave everything he had to take care of them. The fact that he'd killed himself didn't make sense to Jason. It went against everything Tommy stood for. How had he reached a point where suicide seemed like the only answer to him? Why hadn't anyone noticed? Why hadn't someone tried to help him before it was too late?

Jason grabbed his phone and threw it across the room. It hit a ceramic vase and knocked it to the ground. As the vase shattered, Jason let out a frustrated scream. "Damnit, Tommy!" He shouted. As tears filled his eyes, he softly repeated, "Damnit..."

BILLY
His chest ached with grief. Billy sighed as he stroked Kimberly's hair while she slept with her head on his shoulder. She'd passed out from sheer exhaustion after crying until she had no tears left.

It seemed impossible that they were doing this again. It had been two decades since their teammate Trini Kwan had been killed in a car accident. That had nearly broken Billy completely. He'd been very close to Trini, and her unexpected demise had devastated him in a way he hadn't known was possible. Now, Tommy was gone, too. Losing a teammate wasn't any easier the second time around.

He tried to take comfort in Kimberly's presence as he continued gently stroking her hair. Kimberly and Billy had helped each other heal after Trini's death, and now they would have to get each other through losing Tommy, too.

The doorbell rang. Kimberly woke up with a gasp. She looked at Billy and her face fell. "It wasn't a dream..." She mumbled.

"I'm sorry, Kimberly," Billy replied. "I really wish it was."

"Who's at the door?"

"I called Jason. He said he would come by."

She nodded before blowing her nose. "You can let him in," she said as she tried to put on a brave face.

Billy stood and opened the door. "I figured you wouldn't mind if I brought a guest," Jason said.

Billy smiled as he spotted the person with Jason. He opened the door wider. "Zack!" Kimberly squeaked in excitement as she spotted Zack Taylor. She ran to the door and flung her arms around Zack and Jason at once.

"Get in on this, Billy!" Zack said, motioning for him to join the hug.

Billy came up behind Kimberly and joined the group hug. "I missed you guys," Jason said.

"Look at us... The OGs are together again!" Zack declared with a grin. His grief was clear, but as usual, Zack seemed to be focusing on lifting everyone's spirits.

"I wish Trini was here," Billy admitted.

"She is," Kimberly replied firmly with a slight sniffle. "I feel her right here with us. Don't you?"

"I always feel Trini," Zack replied. "I know she's watching over us."

They stood in a comfortable but sad silence for a moment. "Sit down and make yourselves at home," Kimberly said. "I'll make some snacks."

It seemed to help Kimberly to have a task to focus on, so the others let her go alone. They made small talk until she returned with enough food to feed an army. "Damn, Kim, you were only gone for fifteen minutes!" Zack said with a laugh.

"I just figured we could all use some comfort food," Kimberly replied.

"You're an angel, Kimberly," Jason replied as he grabbed some of the food.

Billy was surprised how normal it felt to just sit with his old friends and eat as they shared funny memories and laughed. It was like no time had passed. He nearly forgot why they were there until he inevitably thought about the fact that Tommy wasn't sitting there with them.

Kimberly seemed to sense where his mind had wandered. She subtly squeezed his hand. Her familiar touch was soothing and it grounded him.

He found strength in the sound of Kimberly, Zack, and Jason laughing about their many misadventures as the original Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. They'd lost Trini, and they'd lost Tommy, but they still had each other, and as long as that was true, their memories would live on forever.

KATHERINE
She was still in shock, but was trying her best to function by making lists of everything she needed to do. Tommy was dead. They'd gotten divorced a few months ago, but Katherine Hillard still cared about him very much. How had this happened?

The events replayed in her mind. She'd seen Tommy earlier that day and something seemed wrong. He wasn't acting like himself. He was trying to act positive and full of energy, but it was obvious something was bothering him. She'd taken him aside and tried to talk to him, but he'd put a big smile on his face and insisted everything was fine.

She hadn't wanted to leave him, but she had little choice. If Tommy wouldn't talk, there wasn't much she could do to help. She'd considered calling Kimberly or Jason or anyone who might be able to get through to him, but in the end, she had decided to just check on him herself.

"Why did I wait?" She asked aloud. She had tears in her eyes as she clung to a photo of the two of them on their wedding day. "I should have called the police sooner... I knew something was wrong."

"Kat... This isn't your fault," Rocky DeSantos said gently. He took her hands in his and held them. "Tommy wouldn't want you to blame yourself."

"We had our issues, Rocky, but I loved him... I'll always love him," Kat replied.

"He knew that, Kat. Trust me." He sighed.

"I have to call the others... There are so many people who need to know. He had so many friends... So many people loved him... Everyone loved him. I called Billy, and you, but... I have to call everyone else. I need to start making arrangements for the funeral..." Her voice cracked on the last word as the full weight of what was happening began to sink in.

Rocky wrapped his arms around her. "I'm here, Kat. It's alright. You aren't alone. We'll get through this together."

"Tommy's dead, Rocky... He's dead. He's... He's dead!" She felt like a truck slammed into her as she finally began to process what had happened.

"I know," Rocky said soothingly. "I'm so sorry, Kat."

"I left him, Rocky. What if...?"

"That doesn't make this your fault. He hasn't been okay in a long time. You left him because he hasn't been himself and he wasn't the guy you married anymore. You would never hurt him, Kat."

"I loved him..." She broke down in his arms, sobbing freely. "What if there was something I could have done to save him?"

"He shut you out. There wasn't anything anyone could do if he wouldn't admit he needed help. You went back, Kat. You brought the police and you tried to help him."

"It was too late! He was already gone..." She shook her head. "He's gone... Tommy's gone." The words still made no sense to her, so Kat did what she always did when something was impossible to process... She went back to focusing on making lists.

"We'll need to find a big enough space... Tommy touched so many lives... The funeral will need to be huge to let everyone say goodbye... We'll go all out. The other Power Rangers will all want to attend, I'm sure, and we'll need to have his family, and the students from the Dojo, and all of his friends... He had so many friends..." She began mentally ticking off everyone she'd need to notify. Everyone deserved a chance to pay their respects. There were a lot of people she'd need to call. "I'd better get started..."

"Katherine..." Rocky sighed. "I'll help. Just give me a list of everything you want to do, alright? I'll start making phone calls. I'm sure Adam will help, too. He's really good at organizing things."

She looked at him in surprise. "Thank you," she said softly.

"Like I said, Kat... You're not alone in this. I'm here to help. We all are."

She nodded numbly before saying, "Let's get started."

TJ

He was laying in bed with his wife Cassie Chan-Johnson curled up on his chest when the phone rang. TJ Johnson was reluctant to answer it, but something told him it was urgent.

Cassie groaned in sleepy protest as he shifted to answer it. "Hello?" He said.

"Teej..." Justin Stewart replied in a shaking voice.

"Justin? What's wrong?" TJ asked, immediately awake. Cassie opened her eyes at the urgency in his tone and was obviously paying attention.

"Teej, something happened..."

"Alright, what is it?"

"He's dead... I can't believe it... It can't be real..."

"Whoa, back up, Justin. Who's dead? What's going on?"

"Tommy," Justin said before he began crying openly. "Tommy's dead, Teej... He killed himself."

"That's impossible."

"Rocky called me. He's with Kat... She's a wreck."

"TJ, what's going on?" Cassie asked nervously.

He shook his head. "I'll tell the others, Justin," he promised. "Just try and calm down, okay? Call me if you need anything. You know me and Cassie will be there."

He hung up and stared at Cassie, trying to find the words, but how could he? Tommy had chosen him as his replacement on the Turbo Power Rangers. They'd battled together. They'd teamed up with other Red Rangers, and they'd both returned for other battles over the years as well. Tommy had been his friend. Tommy had believed in him. He'd chosen him. He'd always been there for TJ, but somehow, when Tommy needed him the most, he hadn't realized it.

"TJ, talk to me. Tell me what's going on. You're scaring me," Cassie said.

"Tommy's dead," TJ said softly, trying to make it make sense.

"What?" Cassie's face fell as grief filled her eyes. "I don't understand... How? How could he be...?"

"Suicide," TJ whispered as tears filled his eyes.

Cassie started to cry, too. She pulled TJ into her arms and held him. In typical Cassie fashion, she pulled herself together to be strong for him. "We'll tell the others together," she said. "I'll be right here by your side, TJ. I promise."

He nodded, finding strength in her. "I love you," he told her.

"I know," she replied. "It's always nice to hear you say it, though. I love you, too." She kissed him before wiping away his tears with her fingers. She quickly wiped her own away as well before grabbing her cell phone. "Come on," she said. "Let's call our team."

HAYLEY

It couldn't be true. Hayley Ziktor kept trying to tell herself that it was a mistake. Tommy couldn't be dead. He was her best friend. If he was dead, the world would stop. It wouldn't keep spinning... Yet she knew it was true. Katherine's hysterical phone call meant Tommy really was gone. Hayley would never see him again.

She wanted to cry, but she was too numb, and there was no time for that. She had something far more important to take care of.

Her wife had offered to come with her, but Hayley knew she needed to have this conversation alone. After all, she'd been protecting the secret of the Power Rangers for a very long time. She couldn't stop now.

She walked into the Cyberspace Cafe and waited for the people she'd called to arrive. They all still lived in Reefside, although Kira was often out of town performing at concerts or shooting music videos.

Conner McKnight was the first to arrive. He rushed inside and greeted Hayley with a big smile. "Hey, Hayley," he said. "What's the big news?"

"We should wait for the others to get here," Hayley replied. "I'll get you a drink in the meantime."

She busied herself with the familiar routine of preparing drinks for the kids. They might be adults now, but to Hayley, they'd always be her kids. She still knew their favorites and she focused on preparing one for each of them.

Ethan James walked in while she was still working on that. "So what was so important, Hayley?" He asked.

"She's not talking until we're all here," Conner replied.

Right on cue, Trent Fernandez-Mercer walked in with Kira Ford. They were laughing over some inside joke and it reminded Hayley of when they were younger.

How can I tell them this? She wondered. How can I break them when they're so happy right now?

"What's up, Hayley?" Kira asked.

"It's great to see you," Trent added.

"Guys... I have to tell you something, and it's bad," Hayley began as she handed each of them their drink.

"What's going on?" Kira asked seriously.

"Katherine called me today. There isn't any easy way to say this... Tommy passed away."

They stared at her, none of them quite believing it. "Doctor Oliver's dead?" Ethan asked, clearly trying to make it make sense in his mind.

"I just talked to him last week," Kira protested. "He was fine."

"I don't understand," Conner said in confusion.

"That's nothing new," Kira teased him automatically. It was obvious she needed to cling to sarcasm and snark because accepting this news was too hard.

"He was having a hard time, but he didn't want anyone to worry about him, so I think he kept his struggle private for the most part," Hayley said.

"Hayley... Are you saying what I think you're saying?" Trent asked.

"It was suicide," Hayley admitted. "Tommy took his own life."

"But... Doc O wouldn't do that," Conner protested. "He's not a quitter. He keeps fighting until the very end."

"Kept," Ethan corrected him softly. "He kept fighting until the very end."

Kira stood up and started walking toward the door in silence. "Kira? Where are you going?" Conner asked.

She didn't reply. As she walked out the door, Conner moved to go after her.

"Conner... Let her go," Hayley said softly. "She needs time."

Trent had tears in his eyes. "I need time, too," he said softly. "Thanks for the drink, Hayley. I'll see you guys later." With that, he left.

"Should we head out, too?" Ethan asked.

"No," Hayley replied. "Stay as long as you like. I'll be right here with you."

She couldn't do anything more for Tommy, but she could take care of his Rangers.

TRENT
He wasn't sure where he was going until he arrived. Trent looked around with fresh tears in his eyes. Once, this place had been his sanctuary, the very place the Dino Thunder Power Rangers called their base. Now, it was full of memories that suddenly hurt beyond belief.

"You saved me, Doctor Oliver," Trent said softly. "You were the only one who could fully understand what I was going through. You started out as an evil Power Ranger just like I did, but you became one of the greatest Rangers in history. You encouraged me and made me believe I could choose to be good, too. You helped me find my strength. I'm so grateful to you. I just wish I could have helped you somehow."

Trent shook his head as he continued exploring their old base. Tommy had kept it almost exactly as it had been when they were actively using it, and the memories flooded Trent's mind as he touched old weapons and other technology they'd left behind when their time as Power Rangers had ended.

There were photos of all of them from high school. They stood smiling, laughing, and embracing each other. Trent picked up a photo of Tommy standing with the entire team and smiled sadly.

How did we get here? He wondered. If anyone had suggested back then that the infamous Tommy Oliver might kill himself, Trent would have called them crazy. It seemed impossible. Still, he understood that the loving mentor in the photo was just a remnant from the past. A lot had changed in the last eighteen years.

"I'm sorry," Trent whispered. "I wish I could have saved you. I wish you would have reached out." He wiped away the last of his tears and tried to pull himself together even though it seemed impossible.

TWO DAYS LATER...

GIA
She had pulled every black outfit out of her closet. They were sprawled across her bed being useless as she stared at them waiting for one to inspire something in her.

"I have nothing to wear today," Gia Moran declared in frustration.

"Gia, there are, like, twelve different things here that would be fine," her boyfriend, Jake Holling, replied in confusion.

"Fine? Fine? This is Tommy Oliver's funeral, Jake! Fine isn't good enough!" Gia shouted in response.

Her best friend, Emma Goodall, intervened before Jake said anything that might make Gia throw something at his head. "Come on, Gia," she said gently. "I'll help you find something perfect." She motioned for their team leader, Troy Burrows, to lead Jake, Noah Carver, and Emma's boyfriend, Orion, out of Gia's bedroom. Troy took the hint, and soon it was just the two girls on the Super Megaforce team left staring at the pile of clothes.

"What about this dress and these boots?" Emma asked, picking up a fairly cute ensemble.

"No, that's not right at all," Gia replied with a sigh.

"Alright... What about this?" Emma pulled together a top that had previously been paired with a skirt and paired it with black dress pants instead.

"It's still wrong..."

"How about this? You love this dress, and these shoes are your favorite pair."

"It's not good enough."

"Gia... I'm starting to suspect this isn't about the clothes," Emma said gently.

"Of course it is. This is just a really important day and I need to find the right outfit."

"There isn't an outfit that will magically make everything okay, Gia. No outfit will change what we have to do today."

Gia sighed as tears formed in her eyes. She quickly wiped them away with the back of her hand. "I hate the way you always know what's really going on in my head," she said softly. "It isn't fair... None of this is fair."

"I know." Emma hugged her tightly.

"I mean... It's Tommy Oliver, Em. He always took care of all of us. He was there any time there was an emergency. He was there for our biggest battle, fighting right along with us... But when he needed help, none of us were there for him."

"We would have been. I think he knew that. He didn't ask for help, and we didn't know he was struggling, but we definitely would have helped him. All of the Power Rangers would have stepped up to help if we knew he was in trouble."

"This sucks, Emma."

"You're right," Emma agreed. "It does suck." She picked up a beautiful black sweater with a v-neck and a short black skirt, then held them up over a pair of black combat boots and asked, "What about this?"

"It's perfect," Gia replied with a sad smile. "Thanks, Em."

"No problem. Let's get you dressed, and then I'll help you do your hair."

They went through the motions of getting ready for an event no one could truly be ready for... It was time to say goodbye to the one hero who'd always seemed invincible.

ADAM
He stood at the podium watching the crowd that had gathered in the cemetery. There were too many people to meet at what would become Tommy's final resting place, so they had brought the casket to the spot they used for large services. It was a large cement circle surrounded by trees and flowers. Hundreds of chairs had been set up and almost every single one was occupied.

Adam Park was unsurprised by the turnout. Everyone had wanted to pay their respects. Tommy had meant a lot of things to a lot of people. Some seats were occupied by members of the community who'd valued his contributions as a philanthropist, a scientist, a professor, a mentor, or a dinosaur expert and enthusiast. Others knew him as a Power Ranger, one of Earth's greatest heroes. Still others simply considered him a friend or part of their families.

Anton Mercer and Elsa Randall sat beside each other toward the back of the crowd. A few rows up from them, Adam spotted two of Tommy's former students, Cassidy Cornell and Devin Del Valle, sitting together. Cassidy was crying on Devin's shoulder. He had tears in his eyes as well. Adam realized how big the impact Tommy had had on his students must have been to reduce them to tears so many years after they'd graduated.

Adam had brought Alpha Six to the funeral, and he stood close to the trees with two figures that were unexpected. Ninjor and Dimitria were trying not to draw attention to themselves, but even they had come out to pay their respects.

He noticed Bulk and Skull sitting beside each other and sobbing their eyes out dramatically. Spike Skullovitch sat next to his father and even he looked like he was going to cry despite not ever having met Tommy to the best of Adam's knowledge. The sight of the two former bullies from Angel Grove High grieving openly for someone they'd generally had an antagonistic relationship with was strange, yet it made sense to Adam. They may not have gotten along with Tommy, but he was a major part of their lives in high school. His loss was one that they'd feel deeply, even if they weren't entirely sure if they liked him or hated him.

Tanya Sloan moved beside Adam as he tried to figure out where to begin. "Are you okay?" Tanya asked softly.

"I volunteered to handle most of the funeral service so Kat didn't get overwhelmed, but now I'm kind of overwhelmed," Adam admitted. "I'm not sure what to say. I mean, what if I say the wrong thing and just make everyone feel worse?"

"Just speak from the heart, Adam," Tanya suggested. "Your heart's never led you astray before."

He found strength by looking into her eyes. Adam and Tanya had always been close, and when life got too complicated or hard, Tanya excelled at helping Adam find his way through the storm. "I just don't want to mess this up," he said. "It's Tommy, you know?"

"I know," Tanya replied. She took his hands in hers and added, "You can do this, Adam. I believe in you, and I'll be right over there if you need me." She motioned toward where the other Power Rangers were sitting.

Adam nodded and took a deep breath before moving closer to the podium. "Thank you all for coming today," he began. "Tommy Oliver was so important to so many people that it's not surprising so many of us are here now. I want to start by saying we've all suffered an incredibly difficult loss. Whether you loved him or hated him, Tommy affected the lives of everyone he met. He changed us all in one way or another, and I think we're all grateful to have known him."

Several people nodded in agreement or smiled sadly. Adam noticed various generations of Power Rangers sitting in the crowd. They sat with their teams, and he mentally listed them all, checking them off of his list. At the very front sat the members of the Mighty Morphin', Zeo, and Turbo teams. The second generation of Turbo sat between the originals and Andros and Zhane. Adam noticed Carlos Vallerte and Ashley Hammond were both crying openly. Justin looked lost and overwhelmed, almost like he was a little boy again. Beside Andros sat his sister, Karone, and her team, the Galaxy Rangers. The Lightspeed Rangers sat behind them, followed by Time Force, Wild Force, Ninja Storm, S.P.D, and Mystic Force. Cole Evans was in tears, and Wes Collins and Eric Myers both looked like they were about to follow suit. Operation Overdrive sat behind them, and Adam recalled the time he and several other Rangers had helped that team when they briefly lost their powers. Next sat Jungle Fury, RPM, Samurai, and Megaforce. The Megaforce kids looked especially devastated. Adam knew all of them had looked up to Tommy and viewed him as a true legend. The ten Dino Charge Rangers took up a good part of the next row along with the Ninja Steel team. The Grid Battleforce and Dino Fury teams were in the row after that. As the newest and youngest team of Power Rangers, the Dino Fury Rangers had never met Tommy, but they still looked heartbroken. Every single Power Ranger knew who Tommy Oliver was, and this loss was inconceivable even to those who hadn't met him in person. In the very back of the crowd were the Rangers of Aquitar, which made Adam smile. Even they had come out to say goodbye. Finally, to the side of the casket, the Dino Thunder Rangers sat with Hayley. They were all in tears, but Adam was surprised to realize one seat was visibly empty.

Where's Kira? He wondered. Kira had been his teammate when they helped Operation Overdrive. He was very fond of her and he knew how close she'd been to Tommy. If anyone should be there, it was Kira, yet she was missing. He couldn't help but worry as he resumed speaking.

"No matter what Tommy meant to you, I want you to know this... He loved each and every one of you," Adam said firmly. "I know that sounds cliché, but it's the truth. Once he decided you were one of his people, that man loved you with his entire heart. He wasn't perfect. I think we all know how forgetful he could be, and he was easily distracted because he had such a strong enthusiasm for all things in life, but when it came to being there for the people who counted on him, he always dropped everything and showed up, no questions asked." He paused. "There aren't words to do him justice, because Tommy was always a bit larger than life, but anyone who wants to speak is welcome to come forward to help us honor his memory today."

The eulogies began. Several people got up to speak, starting with Jason. Zack, Billy, Rocky, Aisha Campbell, Tanya, and Katherine also stood up to pay their respects. They each shared their memories of Tommy being there for them, or making them laugh, or just stories of happier times when they were young and still together. Katherine broke down in tears halfway through her eulogy, and her former teammates rushed to stand beside her and offer their support. Looking at them, she found the strength to keep going until her eulogy was complete. It had been decided that Kimberly would go last, so she waited patiently for everyone else who wanted to speak to take their turn.

Hayley gave a passionate eulogy that perfectly expressed how goofy but lovable Tommy could be. Cassidy spoke of him as a teacher and explained how he taught his students so much more than science. She'd always had a way with words and storytelling, and her eulogy was beautifully written and delivered with just the right amount of emotion. Conner and Ethan each spoke before Trent stood up and delivered a eulogy that left everyone in tears as he talked about how Tommy had helped him find his strength and become a better person. TJ explained that Tommy had believed in him so much that it made him believe in himself. Justin sobbed as he talked about how Tommy had been like his big brother when he needed a family so desperately. Cole spoke about how much Tommy had inspired him to fight no matter how bad things got. Noah stood at the podium and fanboyed over Tommy's incredible history, gushing about how much of a hero he was and how he hoped to be a fraction as great as him one day.

The tributes continued. Suddenly, just when it seemed like everyone except Kimberly had spoken, someone came running into the funeral. Adam realized who it was and felt relief wash over him. She'd made it after all.

KIRA

She had debated not attending the funeral at all. A funeral meant it was real, and Kira wasn't quite ready to face that. Still, she had to go, or she'd never forgive herself. She had to say what was on her mind. She marched toward the podium and took a deep breath, ready to get everything off her chest before her head exploded.

"I'm furious right now," Kira said. This caused everyone to fall silent and watch her, curious where her speech was going. "I hate you! I hate you so much, Doc O."

"Kira..." Ethan said, moving to get her away from the podium before she could say anything else that seemed inappropriate.

"Let her speak," Conner said as he grabbed Ethan's arm to stop him. "She needs this."

"You were our teacher... You were our mentor. We looked up to you! Everyone looked up to you! You're so selfish! How could you do this to us?" Kira demanded.

No one dared to speak or move as she paused. Finally, tears formed in her eyes. "How could you do this? How could you leave us? We loved you! You were always here for us, and we would have been here for you. Why didn't you call me? Why didn't you call anyone? We would have done anything to help you!" She started speaking softer then as her tears began to flow freely. "We loved you. I loved you. You were our hero... And now you're lying in a box and we'll never get to tell you how much you meant to us and we're just left behind, not knowing what to do with any of this."

She moved beside the casket and touched it, trying to process the fact that he was really inside. "Doc O..." She said, her voice cracking with emotion. She sank to her knees as she let go of her rage and the full weight of her grief finally hit her. She draped her arms across the casket and continued to cry.

Strong arms wrapped around her. Trent gently helped her back to her feet and hugged her tightly. Conner and Ethan quickly joined the hug, wrapping Kira in their arms and not releasing her until her breathing evened out and she could function again. Hayley stood beside them looking concerned.

"Are you okay, sweetheart?" Hayley asked with sympathetic eyes.

Kira nodded. "I think I will be," she replied.

Katherine slowly stood up and walked toward them. "He loved you kids so much," she said softly. "Especially you, Kira. You were like a daughter to him."

Kira didn't know what to say, so she simply nodded and hugged Katherine. "If you need anything, please call me," she finally said. "I think he'd want us to look after each other."

"Thank you, honey," Katherine replied. "And the same goes for you. Don't be a stranger. Call me any time."

Hayley guided Kira and the rest of her team to their seats. It seemed like that was the end of things until someone suddenly teleported into the cemetery. Despite the Power Rangers having secret identities, no one seemed surprised by the arrival of an alien life form at this funeral. Kira took a deep breath, wiped away the last of her tears, and waited for whatever was coming next.

ZORDON

His heart had broken when news of Tommy's death reached him. Zordon knew that, no matter what, he needed to make an appearance on Earth. The Power Rangers needed him.

He stood with Alpha Five by his side. Alpha had become quite emotional at the news of their fallen friend and had insisted on returning with Zordon.

"Hello, my friends," Zordon began as everyone watched him closely. "For those who do not know me, I am Zordon, of Eltar. I am here today because, like all of you, I am in mourning. Tommy Oliver was a force of nature. He was unstoppable in his quest to help others, and I am honored to have known him since he was a young man. The loss we have suffered will leave a void forever, but I want you all to remember that we still have each other, and we always will. The best way to honor Tommy's memory is to live our lives with honor, love, and empathy for others. This is a dark time for each of us, however, together we can find the light once more."

He paused as his words sank in. He saw hope in the eyes of the Power Rangers despite their pain as they looked around at their teammates. He knew his message had been received. They would never give up, and they would be there for each other.

Once a Ranger, Always a Ranger, he thought.

Kimberly smiled at him sadly. He knew she was ready to stand up and take her turn. He motioned for her to join him. As she reached the podium, Zordon hugged her. "I missed you, Zordon," she said softly.

"I missed you as well, Kimberly," he replied. "I am so proud of all of you."

She smiled before saying, "I'm really glad you made it here today."

"Thank you, Kimberly. I believe you are ready now?"

"As ready as I can be," she replied.

He nodded. "Go on," he said gently. "I'll be right here if you need me."

Kimberly took a deep breath. "I knew I wouldn't be able to get through a proper eulogy today without bursting into tears and being unable to speak coherently," she began. "There really aren't words for what I'm feeling or for what Tommy meant to me anyway... So, I decided to do things a little bit differently."

She paused to pull out her guitar. "Tommy... This one's for you," she said before she began to sing, "Down the road, we never know what life may have in store... Winds of change will rearrange our lives more than before."

"But you'll never stand alone my friend," Zack walked over and joined in, harmonizing with Kimberly as they both continued singing. "Memories will never die. And in our hearts, they'll always live, and never say goodbye."

Everyone applauded as Kimberly and Zack hugged each other. Kimberly had tears streaming down her cheeks, but she pulled herself together as they walked back to their seats.

Adam returned to the podium and said, "That was beautiful, guys. Thank you." He paused before continuing. "I know Tommy would appreciate everyone who came here today, and I'm sure he's with us, hearing every word and feeling all of the love we have for him. Tommy left this world a better place just by being in it, and I think I speak for everyone when I say how grateful we are for everything he did while he was with us. Our lives are never going to be the same, but we'll keep going, and we'll find strength in each other."

"Well said, Adam," Zordon said with pride. He smiled at his Power Rangers sadly and knew that, somehow, they would get through this loss together and come out on the other side even stronger than before.

THE END.

AUTHOR'S NOTE: If you are in a dark place and need help, please don't be afraid to reach out. People care. Remember, Ranger Nation: We will always have each other. I hope this fic has helped you in some way. I love you all.

Special thanks to Aura MacKenzie, my Muse, who put up with me while I was stressing out over writing this and helped me edit a couple of things I missed, and to Pararaptorgirl and Dragonflydart, who both patiently listened to me rant and ramble as I worked on this project and tried to figure out how to get it "just right." I really appreciate all of your help and support.

SUICIDE HOTLINES:

UNITED STATES
Phone: 1 800 273 TALK (8255)

AUSTRALIA

Phone: 13 11 14

AUSTRIA

Phone: 147

BELGIUM

Phone: 1813

BRAZIL

Phone: 188

CANADA

Phone: 1 833 456 4566

CZECH REPUBLIC

Phone: 116 111

DENMARK

Phone: 70 201 201

FINLAND

Phone: 09 2525 0111

FRANCE

Phone: 09 72 39 40 50

GERMANY
Phone: 0800 111 0 111

GREECE

Phone: 1018

HONG KONG

Phone: 2389 2222

HUNGARY

Phone: 116 123

INDIA

Phone: 91-22-27546669

ISRAEL

Phone: Free call within Israel: 1201

ITALY

Phone: 19696

LATVIA

Phone: 371 67222922

LITHUANIA

Phone: 116 111

LUXEMBOURG

Phone: 454545

MEXICO

Phone: 55 5533-5533

NETHERLANDS

Phone: 0800 0113

NEW ZEALAND

Phone: 0800 111 757

NORWAY

Phone: 815 33 300

POLAND

Phone: 116 111

PORTUGAL

Phone: 213 544 545

RUSSIA

Phone: 007 (8202) 577-577

SERBIA

Phone: 0800 300 303

SINGAPORE

Phone: 1800 221 4444

SOUTH KOREA

Phone: 02-3706-0500

SPAIN
Phone: 902500002

SWITZERLAND

Phone: 143

UNITED KINGDOM/IRELAND

Phone: 116 123

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.1M 40.6K 93
๐—Ÿ๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ ๐˜„๐—ฎ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ถ๐—ธ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๐—ณ๐—ถ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ, ๐—น๐˜‚๐—ฐ๐—ธ๐—ถ๐—น๐˜† ๐—ณ๐—ผ๐—ฟ ๐—ต๐—ฒ๐—ฟ, ๐—”๐—ป๐˜๐—ฎ๐—ฟ๐—ฒ๐˜€ ๐—น๐—ผ๐˜ƒ๐—ฒ ๐—ฝ๐—น๐—ฎ๐˜†๐—ถ๐—ป๐—ด ๐˜„๐—ถ๐˜๐—ต ๏ฟฝ...
1.1M 37K 63
๐’๐“๐€๐‘๐†๐ˆ๐‘๐‹ โ”€โ”€โ”€โ”€ โi just wanna see you shine, 'cause i know you are a stargirl!โž ๐ˆ๐ ๐–๐‡๐ˆ๐‚๐‡ jude bellingham finally manages to shoot...
1.3M 57.3K 104
Maddison Sloan starts her residency at Seattle Grace Hospital and runs into old faces and new friends. "Ugh, men are idiots." OC x OC
558K 8.5K 85
A text story set place in the golden trio era! You are the it girl of Slytherin, the glue holding your deranged friend group together, the girl no...