Running Red: Lost Moon

By shadelostwolf

-Slow Burn- -Slow Build- Levi Sharpe just wanted to get out of high school without causing trouble for his mo... More

Chapter 1: Get Started
Chapter 2: White Ceiling
Chapter 3: Wake Up
Chapter 4: Blue Smoke
Chapter 5: What Are Friends For
Chapter 6: Autoshop
Chapter 7: Hot Cocoa
Chapter 8: Records
Chapter 9: Concentrated Dream
Chapter 10: Light In The Dark
Chapter 11: Walls Have Ears
Chapter 12: Congrats It's A Werewolf
Chapter 13: Patch
Chapter 14: Breathe
Chapter 15: Recover
Chapter 16: Find Answers
Chapter 17: Loss
Chapter 18: Human Element
Chapter 19: Echo
Chapter 20: Snowfall
Chapter 21: Circles
Chapter 22: Take a Turn
Chapter 23: Watch Your Step
Chapter 24: Fall
Chapter 25: Photos
Chapter 26: Time
Chapter 27: Just A little Broken
Chapter 28: Leaving
Chapter 29: Split Paths
Chapter 30: Home Trouble
Chapter 31: Impressions
Chapter 32: Scars
Chapter 33: Contacts
Chapter 35: Hidden
Chapter 36: Tunnels
Chapter 37: Jump
Chapter 38: Panic
Chapter 39: Underground Damage
Chapter 40: Dirty Skin
Chapter 41: Protection
Chapter 42: Heart Shield
Chapter 43: Backlash
Chapter 44: Darkwater
Chapter 45: Anchors
Chapter 46: Mirrored
Chapter 47: Endure
Chapter 48: Stone Explosion
Chapter 49: Will That Burns
Chapter 50: Before The Storm
Chapter 51: Cold Rage
Chapter 52: Broken Sparks
Chapter 53: Good New, Bad News
Chapter 54: Healing
Chapter 55: A Meeting

Chapter 34: Lookout

1 0 0
By shadelostwolf

The burning pain in his shoulder was the least of his concern as his body hit the water. The water's cold icy grip seemed to pull him further under as he struggled to swim to the surface. His head hit the underneath of a boat. His nails tried to scrabble for something to grip as he tried to find the surface. It was getting harder to hold his breath.

The cold water was sapping his strength.

He was getting tired.

His shoulder burned.

Everything was growing dark.

Then there was a hiss.

He wanted to live. He needed to live. They were going to take her. Please!

His head smacked hard against the boat when something hit him in the back. Another hiss as bubbles erupted from his mouth, and water quickly replaced the air in his lungs.

'I can save you if you agree to help me.'

He knew better. Please! Help her!

'I am expecting your help when I ask for it.'

He didn't care someone needed to help her.

Arms hooked under his shoulders.

'I expect the help when you are at your strongest.'

His head broke the surface, but he couldn't breathe. The world tilted as he was dragged onto the dock. He couldn't breathe, and a hand started to pat his cheek.

"Breathe."

His brother knelt over him.

Breathe.

Breathe!

0

Laik sat up, gasping for air. He crashed to the floor, wheezing and gasping as the voice hissed in his ear. 'Your stalling!'

"I'm busy!"

'You still owe me!'

"I will help as soon as I'm off probation!" There was a snarl in his ear, and he flinched away. "I can't leave the pack grounds!"

'You are weak! Are all weres this weak now?'

Laik let out a growl as he looked over at the mirror on his closet. "Fuck you!" His next words were cut off when the door to his room opened, and Kevin was looking for him.

When Kevin found Laik on the floor, on the other side of his bed, wheezing, he looked around the room, "Who are you yelling at?"

Laik dropped his head, trying to catch his breath, "Nightmare." He pressed his forehead against the floor. It took him a moment to realize he was gritting his teeth together from the chills his body was being wracked with. It's been so long since he felt a chill this deep.

Kevin crossed the room to kneel next to him. "Laik, you need to talk to someone."

He shook his head, "I have two more years. I can do it. Just two more."

"Laik, you need help."

When he shook his head again, Kevin sighed. Laik had to hide his face. He didn't like this either, but he couldn't. They made it sound like they were going to lock him away. He couldn't do it, not after what happened to him.

Kevin placed a comforting hand on Laik's shoulder. "I will stand with your choices Laik. But as soon as it becomes dangerous, I will have to take you to them."

"I'm fine. I won't hurt anyone. I won't." When Laik looked up at Kevin. Kevin was faced with the same defeated look Laik had given him when he had first shown up on his doorstep. "Just two more, and I'll see anyone you pick. Just not through the council." Laik slowly sat up. "You and I both know they're waiting for a reason to hold something over your head after you basically told them to stuff it on their proposition."

Kevin shrugged. "I never wanted to be a part of their little club anyways." He sighed and stood up. "Fine. I can't get mad at you for what you did. I've done just as much, if not worse, to survive when I was your age. I was lucky to have been found and taken in like I was. But you need to talk to someone, even if they aren't, a professional."

"I'll be fine. It's two more years." He gave a weak smile. "I can handle it."

"I'm taking your word for it."

Laik watched as Kevin left the room, and he slumped against the bed. There was a low growl from the mirror, and Laik turned to the mirror. "Do your worse. You've seen what I went through." He covered his ears when the growl turned into a snarl. It's better to just let him throw the tantrum. The shadow in the mirror will finally leave him alone for a little longer. He was just so damn tired.

0

Levi was slowly looking through the journals, his eyes skimming over words looking for things that stood out and could help. At one point, he rubbed at his eyes when words started to blur together. He was doing everything he could to ignore the old photo of his biological father tucked into the back of the journal. When the words kept blurring, he closed the journal and dropped his head into both of his hands.

He felt like he was drowning. The longer he stayed in the Alpha's house, the more he felt like he was sinking further. Levi stood up to pace the spare room he was set up in. He wanted to scream. Stopping, he looked at his open door and quickly peeked out.

When he didn't hear anyone, or see anyone, he glanced down the hall towards Kevin's closed office door. The office door was always closed or open ajar. He could hear talking, but the words were too low and half the time muffled. Glancing the other way, he saw the front door. Maybe a walk. He just needed some space to breathe. Grabbing his coat, he started for the door when Echo asked. "Where are you going?"

Levi jumped and slowly answered as he backed off towards the front door. "Just a walk around the block."

"We're supposed to stay inside."

"I know, but it's a lap around the block. Hell, I'll take sitting on the front porch right now. I need air." He started for the door with Echo on his heels. "I need to stop feeling like I'm suffocating."

He glanced up the stairs listening. Who was he kidding? Laik moved around the damn house like a ghost. Levi craned his head towards the living room, and found a blanket tossed over the back of the couch with a discarded book. He turned to lean into the dining room and found it empty. Levi moved to the front door to find Laik's shoes still there. Laik was still inside, so he should be fine. He quickly crammed his feet into his boots. Once outside, Levi managed to close the door without it making a sound. When he turned from the door, Levi jumped with a strangled shout.

Laik was sitting on the railing around the porch with an amused look on his face. "I would be impressed if I hadn't heard you pacing the room and you hit the creaky floorboard in front of the bathroom."

"I..." Levi threw his hands up. "Fuck it! I'm going crazy in there, and if I don't get some fresh air, I'm going to scream!" And then he threw both hands in his direction with an aggravated, "And you need a damn bell!"

Laik's expression changed, and he sighed as he hopped down off the railing, "Stay here for a second."

He disappeared into the house, and Levi frowned. "What the hell was that about?" He looked at Echo, who shrugged. Levi huffed and walked over to the porch swing to flop on it.

The sound of a throat clearing had him looking over at the stairs. The man had a closed off demeanor. He was standing there with a frown on his face before he finally spoke, "It's good to finally meet you, Levi."

Levi gave him a wary look. "And you know me how?"

"Thaddeus."

It finally clicked, "You're Wyatt."

"I am."

"What are you doing here? Shouldn't you be out looking for Tad?"

Wyatt pulled his hand out of his pocket to show Levi a set of keys. "That's why I'm here. I found Tad's car two towns over."

Levi shot to his feet. "Did you find him?"

Shaking his head, Wyatt answered, "No. It's why I'm here. I was on my way to ask the alpha if there is anywhere he could think of that could hide hunters and wolves."

"If I can help..." When Wyatt shook his head again, Levi frowned. "Please."

"Thaddeus would tase me within an inch of my life if I put you in danger."

"But..."

"I'm sorry."

When Levi sagged back on the porch swing, he sighed, "Can you let me know when you find him?"

"You'll be one of the first to know. I'll be bringing him here since the alpha's son is a doctor."

Levi reached out to scratch at Echo's head when he rubbed his cheek against Levi's arm. "How bad is it?"

"I'm sorry." Wyatt's cold demeanor seemed to break as he shook his head. The worry was real as he dug his hands further into his coat. "The sooner I find him, the less likely he is to hurt himself beyond what his body can handle."

"What is... wrong?"

Wyatt shook his head. "That's for you and Thaddeus to talk about."

"I see." Levi rubbed his arm through his coat. Just then, the front door opened, and Laik looked at Wyatt and then at Levi.

"Is everything okay?"

Levi nodded. "Just talking about Tad."

Laik looked at Wyatt, who was watching Levi's slumped form. When he met Laik's eyes, he then asked, "Is Alpha Lowell busy?"

"I'll go let him know you're here. Levi." Looking up, Laik tossed him a set of keys. "Can you get the car warmed up?"

"Sure." When Levi went to pass Wyatt, he held his hand out to Levi. Levi paused to stare at it.

"I wish we could have met differently."

Looking Wyatt in the eyes, he asked, "As Tad's boyfriend or Andrew's son?"

When Wyatt's hand fell to his side, he gave Levi an amused smirk. "I can see why Thaddeus liked you."

"Tad liked me for more than you think. Excuse me while I go start a car." Levi pressed past Wyatt and made his way across the snow to the car Laik drove. He climbed into the driver's seat and worked on getting the car warm. Echo was watching him from the backseat. His hands clutched at the steering wheel as he took in a deep breath and slowly let it out. He let his head rest on the wheel as he fought to keep from screaming.

A knock on the window startled him. Looking up, he found Laik looking at him with concern. Opening the door, he shooed him. "Move over. I know where we're going."

Levi climbed over the center console as he asked, "Where are we going?"

"You'll see."

"You're not making me feel safe here."

Laik rolled his eyes. "Trust me, you'll like this place."

"Your lucky I trust you even after that snow stunt you pulled."

Laik pulled away from the curb as he grumbled, "I figured you'd like a good old snowball fight to blow off steam. I didn't expect you to be a stick in the mud over snow."

Levi shot him a dark look as Laik raised an eyebrow in challenge. "Whatever."

"I also shouldn't have been pushy over what I saw. Even if you should talk to grandpa about them."

"I'm not talking about them."

"Okay. Not talking about them."

"You are."

"No, I'm not. Just pointing out a thing that involves them."

Levi looked out the window with an angry huff. Then he remembered something. "Let's make a deal."

Laik gave him a wary look as they pulled to a stop at a red light. "What kind of deal?"

"I'll talk about the scars when you talk about why you hardly eat."

The silence was deafening in the car as Laik met Levi's stubborn glare with his own. Looking back at the road, he finally answered Levi. "Touché. Fine."

The rest of the ride was quiet as Laik turned that car down a tree lined road.

00

Levi watched as the trees passed, wondering where they were going. He rested his forehead against the cool glass. He had never gone down this road. Maybe after everything was done and over, he would explore the town and get used to where everything was at. It was starting to make sense where they were heading when Laik pulled into a small parking lot. Levi could see the path tucked away.

Levi climbed out of the car to look around as Laik walked around the front of the car. "Where are we?"

"You said you wanted space. This is a good place." Laik started to walk for the pathway.

Echo squeezed past him, "I'm curious about this place."

Levi sighed, "Yeah, okay." He closed the car door and quickly followed after Laik. The pathway was well taken care of. Its long stone steps were scraped of snow and dead debris. As he climbed up the steps could feel the salt crunching under his feet as they walked.

The town was already quiet, but as they walked further away from it up the slowly inclining hill, he started to feel nervous about how quiet it was. "I don't like how quiet it is," Levi muttered to himself.

Laik turned to look at him. "What about quiet?"

Levi sighed. Is this how his parents felt about him eavesdropping? "It's quiet."

When Laik paused in his walking, Levi gave him a confused frown. His head was cocked to one side with his eyes closed. Echo was pawing at something on the side of the path in the snow. Levi watched as he seemed to perk his head up and take off after something. He left Laik and Levi to stand on the path. "It's not that quiet."

Levi turned to look at Laik, who was watching him. "Yes, it is."

It took a minute, but then Laik let out an amused huff causing Levi to narrow his eyes. "Come on, city boy, it's further up."

"What's that supposed to mean!?"

"It means the noises out here are different than in the city." Laik continued up the hill as he pointed off to the side. "There are some mice in the snow that Echo is currently chasing. If you listen, you can hear the birds in the distance. We're safe."

Levi paused in his walking as he remembered something. "Animals avoid you? Don't they?"

Laik hummed as he thought about it. "It's not avoid, more like they keep their distance. Animals can sense things that are typically missed or overlooked by humans. I'm not a threat, so why would they stay quiet."

"But when I was chased..." Levi rubbed at the back of his neck. He could still feel those eyes on him at times.

"Because he was a threat and hunting." Laik tipped his head towards the path. "Come on. You're safe here. It's protected. Plenty of the pack cross paths near here."

Levi dropped his hand and continued after Laik. A thought bothered him, Kevin's house was supposed to be protected.

When they finally reached the end of the path, Levi was breathing a little harder than he would like. Laik looked at him, "You okay?"

"I'm fine, still getting my endurance back to normal."

Laik nodded as he walked over to where the edge was fenced off. Levi moved over to the only bench to sit down and catch his breath. The view was of the town below. With the mountain range in the distance had the large waterfall the town was named after. He sank further onto the cold bench. "What is this place?"

"I quiet place for thinking."

"Dude."

Laik laughed at Levi's annoyed tone. "It doesn't have a name. It's just a lookout point." He leaned against the railing to look out at the town. Turning, he walked over to the bench to flop next to Levi. Levi tucked his hands into his hoodie pouch as he sank his chin into the thick fabric. Laik leaned to the side and motioned to the bench. "Take a look at the bench."

Levi twisted to find a brass plaque with a name engraved.

"Who is Alice Lowell?"

"My grandma. She passed from cancer a few years ago." He got comfortable on the bench and looked out at the town. "This was her favorite place to sit and read. When it became harder for her to walk, we would take turns helping her up here."

Levi looked out at the town. "It's a nice view."

"It is. She would bring the younger kids up here if they got too restless."

"Does that include you?"

"Yeah. I was late to shift. The noise was too much at times, and this was how she would help. Granted, by then, the cancer was getting worse. So most of the time I was here alone or with my younger sister."

"You have a sister?"

"Two actually. You'll most likely meet them this summer."

"Why did you bring me up here?"

Laik leaned his head back as he shushed Levi. "Relax, breathe, enjoy nature."

Levi rolled his eyes. It was better than sitting in the house all day. He just wished it wasn't so freaking cold. The hoodie that was held out to him had him staring at it in confusion.

"I can feel you shivering."

"Oh." Levi took the hoodie and draped it over himself as he relaxed on the bench. "Thanks."

Laik let out a hum as Levi looked at Laik in a long sleeve shirt and jeans. "Will you be okay?"

Laik looked at him and grinned. "I don't get cold anymore. Not since I almost drowned."

"Uh..." He looked out at the town. "I don't know what to say to that."

Laik laughed, "It's fine. I was fifteen. It was a long time ago."

"I almost died." When he saw the curious look on Laik's face, Levi added. "My scars. I almost died. Twice, in the alley and on the table. Three different surgeries and bed rest for over six months. I'm lucky I didn't get held back a year." He was staring at his hands as he waited for Laik to say something. When he didn't, Levi looked at him. He was looking up at the sky when he took a deep breath and slowly let it out.

"Some foods make me sick. It could be a smell or a texture, and I just get sick. I don't know why. I don't know how to stop it. It is what it is."

Levi couldn't help the grin. "Is that all?"

Laik frowned, "Yeah."

"I can't eat dairy. I will throw it up or get a bad stomachache."

"Is it an allergy?"

"Nope, sensitivity, just can't eat it. My body absolutely hates it. And it sucks because I miss macaroni and cheese."

"At least I don't feel weird about having a hard time eating now."

"Could be worse."

"I don't want to think about worse." Laik let his head rest on the back of the bench. "Let me know when you want to go back."

"Okay." He looked at Laik and then back at the town. "Quick question."

"I might have an answer."

"How good is a wolf's hearing?"

"Depends."

"On?"

"It just depends." Levi tossed his hoodie at him and took off to the edge of the cliff. Laik scrambled to his feet. "What are you doing!?"

Levi caught the railing to stop himself as he let out a loud scream. The top bar dug into his stomach as he leaned forward into the scream. The birds in the trees took off into the air as other creatures scurried away. Laik stared at Levi in bewildering confusion as Levi turned around to look at him with a crooked grin. He jogged over, "Okay, I'm good."

"Are you serious?" Laik's phone went off, and he yanked it out to answer. "We're fine." He hung up the phone. "No, really, what was that for?"

"Sometimes you just need to scream to get the pressure off your chest."

Laik dropped onto the bench as his phone went off again, and he sighed as he dropped his head into his hands. When he looked up, Levi looked a lot more like his usual self. Answering his phone, he sighed at the worried tone. "We're fine." Then hung up. He stood up and pointed a finger at Levi. "You are going to be trouble."

"I mean, I did almost get kicked out of school for fighting." Levi headed for the path. "We should head back just in case someone calls Kevin."

Laik scrambled after Levi. "Wait, you almost got kicked out of school for fighting!"

"Yes."

"But you don't..." He stopped as Levi kept walking forward. "How?"

Levi turned to look at Laik. He gave a shrug as he answered. "Because someone hurt my best friend."

That bad feeling came back. Laik needed to talk to his grandfather now. "Let's head back. You might be right on that calling grandpa."

"Okay." Levi turned back just as Echo came crashing onto the pathway.

"Is everything okay?"

"Yep." Levi stooped to scoop up Echo, who draped himself over Levi's shoulder in his house cat form. "Just needed to scream."

"Did it help?"

"For now."

Laik frowned. He really had a bad feeling about this.

0

Kevin looked up to see Laik standing in the doorway. He raised a brow at the worried look on Laik's face. "I heard about the yell on the lookout."

"Yeah." Laik winced. "Uh, we need to talk. About Levi, preferably with Rhea."

Kevin frowned as he set his pen down to pick up the phone. "What's wrong?"

"Did you know Levi was almost kicked out of school for fighting?"

With a sigh, Kevin dialed a number. "I'm not surprised. I should be surprised. But I've met his biological parents. I know what one is capable of doing, and I've seen firsthand what the other can do. Both are not the type to always use logic in situations. Rhea, are you busy? I have some questions."

Laik dropped onto a chair with a loud sigh. His bad feeling was getting worse.

0

Wyatt rested his head on the steering wheel. The picture clutched in his hand crumbled more as he squeezed his fists. This mess was his fault. Someone was now in danger who should have been off limits. He should have said no. Wyatt should have turned him in after the first signs. Everything could have been prevented if he hadn't been so agreeable to him. He looked at the crumpled picture.

Wyatt didn't need to straighten it out the image was seared into his brain. And he was mad. He'll make sure they'll pay for this. They want to try and force his hand, they'll see who was better at outsmarting who. He pulled a thumb drive out of his glove box. Slipping it inside Tad's pill bottle, he shook it, making sure the drive was hidden.

Looking at the picture, he straightened it out and looked over the image. The sight of his brother tied to a wooden beam and Sean there next to him. He'll kill Sean.

He just needed a way to get them to lower their guard.

Better to ask for forgiveness than permission.

"I'm sorry, Tad. But your safety comes first."

Wyatt started his car and pulled out of the diner parking lot.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.2K 220 12
Have you ever had to make a choice? One that you knew would hurt not only you but so many others you loved, that it would never be forgiven? Not so l...
176 4 20
Louis is hopelessly and desperately in love with his best friend Jacob. He manages by pining from afar, but unfortunately, those feelings finally ove...
21 1 7
"Your betrayal cut deeper than any wound, but from the ashes of your deceit, I'll rise. And mark my words, every joy you hold dear, every love you've...
3.4K 411 38
Riverly trains as an apprentice healer. Every day, she works tirelessly to mend the broken and bloodied Imperial soldiers who protect the Empire fro...