the silver lining playbook...

By fratboyharry

every cloud has a silver lining, and i suppose every man does too More

silver lining playbook|| a.irwin
chapter one
chapter two
chapter three
chapter four
chapter five
chapter six
chapter seven
chapter eight
chapter nine
chapter ten
chapter eleven
chapter twelve
chapter thirteen
chapter fourteen
chapter fifteen
chapter sixteen
chapter seventeen
chapter nineteen
chapter twenty
chapter twenty-one
chapter twenty-two
chapter twenty-three
chapter twenty-four
chapter twenty-five
chapter twenty-six

chapter eighteen

77 4 2
By fratboyharry

"Ms. Collins, it is so good to see you with us," Mr. Robald, the official supervisor of the board who had spoken to me before told the table, as if it was something to show off, "good thing that Ashton has finally seen what a bright mind you actually are."

Ashton chuckled from next to me, "Yes, but what exactly do you mean? I've always known she is an intellectual girl."

"Well, did you know that she received a score of 1580 on her SATs?" Mr. Robald spoke as-matter-of-factly. It was as if he was the only to know.

Ashton tensed up as the meeting began. But I had a feeling that it wasn't because he had to speak about a budget.

As some intern spoke about the corporate surroundings or whatever, Ashton whispered into my ear, moving forward for a second, "A 1580 would imply an almost perfect score in at least one subject."

"You're correct. I suppose I do good in math," I whispered back, making Ashton chuckle and sit back, listening to the rest of this girl's pointless presentation.

The rest of the presentations passed me by almost unannounced, but once Ashton was up, my eyes were on him.

"Very soon, we will be travelling to London to meet with an old friend of mine that wished to make a generous offer to buy the Baltimore Ravens."

"Have you already tallked numbers?" Mr. Robald said, brekaing the silence and interrupting Ashton in his presentation.

Ashton nodded, "Yes, I just want to make sure the offer is still on the table. Once I know that it is, I will get back to you with the official number."

"Who will be your team during this opperation?" Mr. Robald questioned, and Ashton's eyes met with mine for one brief second and then looked away.

"Miss Layla Collins, due to her nearly perfect mathematical SAT scores, her stellar performance in the last six months, and being one of the few people that knows the inside and outs of Microsoft Exel, I believe she is the one to both supervise and assist me on this trip." Ashton blurted out.

"Does the board agree with Mr. Irwin's decision?" the man secrtetary sitting next to Ashton spoke. Everyone but the intern agreed. All throughout this time, Ashton never lifted his gaze off of me.

"Well then," Mr. Robald said, a powerful smile on his face as he stood up, gathering his papers ans such, "Ms. Collins pass by my office with the agenda you will be following. Meeting adjourned."

I grinned as the room filled out. Once I saw Mr. Robald approaching me, I stood up. He smiled down at me with his green eyes and spoke, "I remember when you were just a young intern and how worried you were to begin working for Ashton. But look how far you got. You've done wonders to him- to this team. And I thank you."

"It is my job, Mr. Robald," I chuckled at his flattery.

"I know it is much more than that. See you later, miss."

As soon as the room cleared out, Ashton came back inside after shaking hands with everyone that had once been in a chair, and came towards me as I cleared the place of all the coffee cups and the papers people had left behind.

Ashton stayed quiet for a second, I began to wonder why, but soon after I realized a group of intern girls had been passing by with their LA accents and their beach blonde hair.

Once they were out of our sight, Ashton came behind me and embraced me, making me spin around as he held me close in his arms, "I'm so glad I got away with that."

"With taking me all the way to England to see the buyer?" I asked, teasing him.

He laughed, his chest vibrating under my hand, "Basically. We leave tomorrow morning."

"Tomorrow?" I widened my eyes, the smile falling from my face.

I had promised Logan that nothing was going on. And I had a date with him as well. But that happened to be tomorrow night and by then, I would already be in one of London's best hotels.

I shook my head 'no' and looked down at my feet, "I'm afraid I can't, Mr. Irwin."

"Why not?" he asked, Ashton's hands trailing up and down my back.

"Yesterday, I called Logan to pick me up and I was drunk and mad and we kissed. And he asked me on a date." I explained, and Ashton looked down at me with careful eyes.

"Just to make sure," Ashton said, stopping his movements, "you don't like him, do you?"

"No, Mr. Irwin. Not at all," I smiled.

"But," Ashton said, the smile returning to his face, "he's obsessed with you. Move the date to tonight. Tell him you must leave."

It was four in the afternoon already. But I was sure that Logan woudln't mind.

"Yes, sir."

"Oh, shut up," Ashton smiled, pressing his lips onto mine softly.

Until we heard the clear of a throat.

Both of us jumped back and pretended to be doing something else. But the guy that had seen us laughed, "I saw that."

As I swished around, I saw the one and only Luke Hemmings, standing in legitimately jeans and a dress shirt. He spoke once again, "Pretty sure that is not in her resume, boss."

"What do you want?" Ashton asked roughly, in a way I could never imagine he could speak.

"I believe we have business to discuss."

Ashton chuckled, getting his briefcase, "I have a busy schedule."

"Then make some time, unless you want the picture I just took of you two to go to Mr. Robald himself."

-/-

Ashton was in his office with Luke, for three hours. Hell, he had apparently ordered delivery into his office, and I wasn't allowed anywhere near. Last time I checked, Luke wasn't this good with negociating. I don't know, maybe it was that he had a soft spot for me.

I had finished the agenda around an hour ago, and I took the time to color-code and even delivered the schedule to Mr. Robald coming out of his next meeting in the next building. Ever since, I have had absolutely nothing to do.

Once I had heard the door open, I shot out of my seat and caught Luke walking out of the door, "Luke."

"I have to get going. Thanks for the talk the other day. You saved my life," Luke said, kissing my cheek and hugging me. Then, he walked away, as if he had somewhere to be.

The lights had dimmed outside my window, and by now it was night time and I was so glad that I hadn't messed up my make up during the day because this is how I would be going on a date. I know, no need to tell me.

I knocked on the door that was already open and walked in, shutting it behind me. Ashtonwas rubbing both his temples with one hand as he closed his eyes, but once he heard my footsteps, he looked up and tiredly smiled, "Hey."

"Hi, Ash," I said, looking down at him and placing my hand on the arm of the sofa he was sitting on.

Ashton chuckled, "Ash," then, he grabbed my hand and pulled me down so that I could sit on his lap, my back on Ashton's chest, "I like it when you say it."

"What is going on?" I asked, looking down at him as he held my hand.

"Well, " Ashton began saying , "Luke must have read Business for Dummies or taken a course behind my back because he put up a hell of a deal. He had the picture of us and threatened to expose it, not to Mr. Robald but to the press. It could ruin everything."

"Well, what did he ask for?" I asked, playing around with the buttons on his shirt.

"A five year contract with the Ravens," Ashton ssaid simply, but it was like he needed something else to say.

"Well, that's easy he's a good playe-"

"No, a five- year contract for all the players. That is why we took so long. We had to go through every player," Ashton let out a breath, avoiding my gaze as much as possible.

"Hey," I lifted his head with my hand, "I know it has been a rough 24 hours for you. But it's okay. Tomorrow we'll be off to London."

"And I couldn't be more excited," Ashton said, but his shoulders dropped, "but I won't see you for at least twelve hours."

"Well, then look at it this way. In 12 hours you'll see me," I giggled.

Ashton scoffed, "That's what I just sa-" then he stopped himself, making me look up and lock eyes with him, instead of looking at his shirt as I had been doing ffor the last second, "can I please send Charles to pick you up from the date; you could sleep over?"

"I don't know," I said truthfully, watching the hjope drain from Ashton's eyes, "I mean last time I went to your house-"

Ashtpn responded, almost as if he had planned out this conversation already (which wouldn't surprise me), "I know. But if we are gonna be in London in the same hotel room, we better know how to behave, don't you think?"

"Normally, I would say no," I told him, but then, I saw his eyes fill with that same hope as I uttered the words, "but you do make a hell of a business man, Mr. Irwin. So I suppose I can make an exception."

"Good."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2.6K 110 39
I'm here on a mission and I will not fail. [COPYRIGHTED ALWAYSMANAGEMISCHIEF 2015-2016]