Lost Wanderers (Halbrand / Ri...

By lostgirlriddle1926

If he knew what awaited for him in the Middle Earth, he would have returned sooner. Halbrand is a man with a... More

ใ€Š There and Back Again ใ€‹
1 - The Language of Swords
2 - Wandering Souls
3 - The Legacy of a Name
4 - By the River Anduin
Note after episode 6
5 - The Power of a Promise
6 - World on Fire
Note after episode 7
7 - Even Morgoth Desired Her
8 - King of Ashes
Note after the season finale๐Ÿ’ฅ
ใ€Š Part Two ใ€‹
9 - Shadows in the Moonlight
10 - The Dying Lands
11 - Only Fire Can Bind
13 - The Realms Under the Mountains
14 - The Gathering Dark
15 - What Lies in the Shadows
16 - Still Something to Learn
17 - The One Ring, The One Promise
A/N - End of Part 2

12 - Walking a Tightrope

734 15 15
By lostgirlriddle1926

Leaving behind the burned lands made the march more enjoyable.
In front of them there were landscapes that Luthien had never seen before.

"So, what are you planning?" she asked as they camped around a small fire after the sun set.
"I think that if we can imitate what the elves did, giving power to men and dwarves, we have a chance to win".
She frowned, puzzled "How do we give power?".
"By making the rings that will contain that power, a power unseen in this world, but that the elves managed to find".
She struggled to understand how it could work "And how can we do that?".
Halbrand smiled at her confusion "Don't worry, we need to persuade the leaders to support us. I know enough of smithery and I caught enough details to understand how it works when I was in Lindon".
She looked at him with surprise "Were you a smith?".
"Yes. Can you imagine the wonder when you melt metals and create weapons and jewels?" he picked her sword and made it gleam by the fire. It looked like it was alive.
She smiled, hypnotized by the passion transpiring from his words "That's fascinating".
He placed the sword on the ground.
"And imagine combining different ores, making alloys. Each ore has unique qualities. Combining them can amplify those qualities" he grabbed her hand and entwined their fingers gently "Without forcing them, they are drawn together. And it creates real power".
"It's beautiful" she said simply, his innocent touch making her hyperventilate.
They were isolated from the world, he was taking care of her and she just wished to be in his embrace.
But his hand left hers and he seemed haunted by other thoughts to notice her unspoken needs.
"It really is. You will see" he sighed "And there's something I need to think of. My name and my title are too dangerous now. I need a false name".
"Do you have anything in mind?".
"Since I'll offer power to people, what about the Lord of Gifts? Annatar?" he smirked.
"Sounds nice" she repeated the name to herself, although he would be forever Halbrand to her and she risked to bring trouble to his disguise "Do I need a nickname too?".
"No. I don't think your name is dangerous" he smiled "You're weary. Take some sleep. Don't be afraid of the night".
She looked around and laid down, trying to find a comfortable position facing the fire "You need some sleep too".
"I fear I do. But I'm used to keep an eye open, so if something menacing approaches us, I'll wake you up".
He wrapped her fingers around the handle of her sword, then laid down.
Gripping the sword, the noises of the night lulled her to sleep.

When she woke and stood up, it was dawning and the first sunlight caressed the hills.
The view was something so beautiful that it felt sacred, so she avoided speaking.
Also Halbrand was in awe.
He noticed her staring at him and smiled, his hand searching for hers.
"The beginning of a new adventure".
She returned the smile and after packing, they wandered in those inhabitanted fields.

"Is it true that these lands are home to strange creatures?" she asked after a break to harvest some wild berries.
He shrugged "I think I haven't met them yet. We need to make contact with the dwarves realms".
"Does it mean we'll have to go.. underground?" she shuddered at the idea.
"If dwarves can live and prosper underground, we have nothing to fear" he assured her "Their realms are hidden to common wanderers like us. We need to guess where are the entrances to their dominions".
She walked with less confidence, imagining the complex world that was hidden under her feet.
"The elves would know how to find them. Dwarves are not friendly with men" she recalled bitterly.
"Not friendly if you have nothing to offer that might catch their interest" he corrected her "Don't tell me you'd rather deal with orcs than seeking the dwarves".
Luthien looked around with uneasiness "I don't know. Don't you have the feeling that there are orcs around us ready to attack us?".
He glanced at the trees and bushes, but didn't seem bothered "I'm grateful it's a sunny day and not a cloudy one".
They walked until suddenly the ground opened to a deep ravine.
"There's a bridge over there to get to the other side" Halbrand pointed to the scariest bridge she had ever seen.
"Are you scared of heights?" he asked her, seeing her hesitation and offering her a hand.
"I just never walked an a bridge like that" she grabbed his hand, finding some comfort in his confident grip.
They paused in front of the rope bridge.
She wondered how it could take the weight of two people when it seemed good only for the wild animals.
Halbrand was braver than her and led the way.
"Focus on walking. We will reach the other side in the blink of an eye".
She walked behind him, his hand still holding hers. The unstable bridge made her feel dizzy.
"I wish I can walk blindfolded then".
He looked back at her, still healthy and courageous, while she was getting pale and sick.
"You know that I wouldn't take you somewhere dangerous if I'm not sure that we can reach the other side, right?".
She thought back of their adventures.
They survived monsters and hell. They saw the world burning and got out of that in one piece. Walking on an old rope bridge seemed a joke in comparison.
She nodded and tried to stop staring at the emptiness beneath her feet and the sharp rocks on the bottom of the ravine.

The bridge swinged dangerously and she bit her tongue.
Halbrand kept walking carefully, until he noticed a shadow by the end of the bridge.
Luthien almost bumped against his back. She moved to a side to see beyond his massive body and spotted a tall man with an axe in his hand. And that axe was dangerously close to the ropes that held that bridge.
Luthien felt dropped into a nightmare. They were in the middle of the bridge.

"You are not welcome here" the stranger said with a mocking tone.
He didn't look older than Halbrand and his clothes made him look like a wealthy hunter.
"Who do we have the pleasure to talk to?" Halbrand said amably.
Luthien admired his calmness. If she had voice, she would have shouted insults to the stranger.
"Reveal your names first, before this bridge will bring you down to an unpleasant flight".
Luthien leaned closer to Halbrand, tempted to wrap her arms around him before the emptiness beneath their feet could swallow them.
"I'm Annatar" Halbrand said placing a hand on his heart.
"And you bring a lovely lady" Luthien shuddered at the unpleasant look that she felt on herself "There's a price to pay to cross my bridge".
"Your bridge? Who are you?" she snapped before she could think twice.
"You can call me Captain, beautiful" the stranger shot her a grin that made her blood boil in her veins.
"Captain of what?" Halbrand inquired, taking small steps forward to cut their distance.
"Of these lands?" the stranger suggested as if it wasn't obvious.
"Of bare lands. No people?" Halbrand retorted.
"What can you offer to pay?" the stranger asked, tired of that discussion "The lady can keep me company. She'd be queen of my lands".
Luthien widened her eyes and hid behind Halbrand's back.
"She's with me. Surely she is not interested in being queen of nothing" Halbrand took some more confident steps, until he was just few steps away from the stranger "I can offer you what everyone desires, Captain".
The stranger scoffed "And what is it? Immortality? Eternal youth?".
"Power".

Luthien saw the stranger being caught by surprise by the unfaltering confidence in Halbrand's voice.
He looked between the two of them "What kind of power can two lost wanderers offer?".
"A power greater than you can imagine. But we still have to work a lot to achieve that".
"You sound like a dreamer, Annatar. But you seem sincere enough. Be my guests" the stranger stepped aside and let them reach the end of the bridge.
Luthien let out a sign of relief when her feet touched the ground again and she felt so sick that she almost fell on her knees and threw out.
She felt the stranger's hungry gaze on her and wished to be far away from him, not to be his guest.
"How long have you been travelling?".
"Several days" Halbrand said dismissively "Where's your home?".
"Not too far. Follow me" he preceded them and Luthien walked closer to Halbrand, wishing to ask him if it was wise to go with someone she felt as wicked.
He noticed her pleading eyes and gave a weak nod of encouragement.
The stranger turned to them, his eyes harassing her again.
"Just the two of you with so little supplies? No horses?".
"If you can borrow us a horse, you have our gratitude" Halbrand said sternly.
The stranger scoffed "I don't like horses".
Luthien narrowed her eyes as she caught another of his stalking glances to her.
She disliked everything about him. How his ice blue eyes promised troubles. How his dirty blond hair crowned his pale face. His teasing voice. His arrogance in thinking of taking advantage on wanderers.
"So what is your name?".
He turned, walking backwards, and smirked as he scanned her figure "What do you offer me in exchange for that knowledge?".
Her fingers wrapped around her small sword and were tempted to aim it at him.
"I won't carve your eyes out of that silly head" she spat, unveiling her lack of sympathy for a man who had menaced to cut the bridge under their feet.
He chuckled and turned to Halbrand "Now I know why you can't let her go. I'm Calandir, my lady".
He placed a hand on his chest with a mocking bow.
"Numenorean?" Halbrand asked faking disinterest.
"How did you guess? From a name?" Calandir chuckled with bitterness.
"What is a Numenorean doing in these abandoned eastern lands? Living on his own? Exiled?" Halbrand guessed.
Calandir turned his back and fastened his pace "Being a hermit keeps me close to the gods. Or to my power".
Luthien shot a worried look to Halbrand, who touched her arm to encourage her to keep walking.
They crossed a wood with high bushes and suddenly a glade appeared, revealing a large building.
Luthien halted, confused. That was a bad location for a castle.
Calandir turned and appreciated her reaction "I'm glad to see you like it, my lady. Welcome to my humble home".
Her instinct was screaming at her that something was wrong and that they weren't safe.
The least Calandir could do was trapping them into that beautiful cage and using his axe on them to feed himself.
"We would appreciate some water" Halbrand said, moving closer to her to hold her in case her legs failed her.
"I can offer you more than that" Calandir walked to Luthien to offer her his hand, but she leaned towards Halbrand, who placed an arm around her shoulders and guided her towards the front doors.
Calandir hurried to open them.
"It's a rich castle for a lonely soul like you" Halbrand commented as they entered the building and were surrounded by luxury.
"Being lonely has its advantages. And you saw that I can protect my land" Calandir bragged and threw his axe in a corner, the noise making Luthien startle.
"It's rare to have company. I feel it's my lucky day" Calandir clapped his hands and showed some of the rooms "Feel at home, my lady. You can take a bath and change into better clothes. And you can eat and rest, until you don't want to leave this place anymore".
Luthien stared at him, petrified.
There was nobody else in that castle. She recalled how her palace was full of people and light.
While in that castle there was a sinister silence. And no sign of other people living there.
Just a dim light came from the windows. The tall trees surrounding the glade casted their shadows on the building.
Halbrand patted a comforting hand on her shoulder "Accept what our generous host is offering. Take your time. You will find us here discussing of business".
"Better for you that you can keep your promises, Annatar. Or I'm going to keep something precious to you for myself and kick you out of my lands" Calandir told him in a warning tone, then spoke sweetly to the woman "I'm afraid I didn't catch your name, beautiful".
"Her name's Luthien" Halbrand replied for her.
Calandir's grin almost earned him a loud slap on his face.
Luthien had to clench her fists tight to avoid showing that harsh reaction.
"Luthien. Yes, it truly suits you. Just as it suits you a home like this" he opened a door that revealed a large room "You shall find everything you need. If you need something more, just let me know. We'll be in the dining hall".
Luthien looked at Halbrand.
The idea of being separated for him scared her and she hoped he would intervene.
Instead he took some steps away from her, holding her worried gaze and nodding.
Luthien shot a heavy look at her host. If he meant to separate them so he could take advantage to butcher them, she hoped that Halbrand would be the first to cut him to pieces. She didn't doubt his skill. He had killed Adar and survived hords of orcs.
Calandir was just a man who didn't know what he was doing.
Luthien stepped into the room and heard the door being closed behind her.
The guest room was larger twice her own room at home.
And a big tub filled with water was inviting her.
Luthien hesitated, feeling trapped into a dream that was too beautiful to be real.
Being surrounded by the comforts she had left behind at home to follow Halbrand in his missions.
Luthien felt too shy to undress, but was also tired of the ragged and smelly clothes she wore for days.
Removing them gave her more relief than she wanted to admit.
She touched the water and felt it incredibly warm.
That seemed even more bizarre than the situation she was trapped in, but she surrendered and immerged herself into the tub.
She found perfumed soaps within her reach and used them to get clean.
She lost track of time, but she wished to enjoy the bath forever.
When she noticed that the room was getting darker because the sun was gone, she picked some towels and stepped out of the tub.
She eyed the large bed, but resisted to the need of laying on there and rest. She moved to the wardrobes and opened them, until she found some feminine clothes.
A blue dress seemed too precious, but once she spotted it, she couldn't help but taking it and wearing it.
Suddenly she felt like the daughter of the Stewart of Pelargir again. Maybe even more. Maybe even like a princess.
She hanged her sword by her side to wash away that feeling.

She found the men discussing in the dining room.
They were talking about the realms living in the near lands.
They both stopped talking and turned to look at her.

Luthien felt so embarassed that her cheeks burned.
Calandir stood up to meet her.
"Ah, you're exquisite".
He offered her an arm and accompanied her to sit between him and Halbrand, a rich table offering food and drink.
She felt so hungry that she started to eat without thinking twice.
"I'd like to meet the dwarves kings first" Halbrand said, sipping some red wine "They can contribute with the ores that are needed".
Calandir let out a heavy sigh as his shameless eyes lingered on the young woman "I'm afraid the dwarves are not so eager to be found. I don't like dwarves. I'm afraid I can't help much with them".
"If you can help with the nations of men, it will be appreciated anyway. We need all the allies we can gather".
"I'll surprise you. It will be harder for you to surprise me" Calandir shot a challenging grin and scanned his guest's look "Isn't it your turn to get clean, Annatar?".
Luthien shot her companion a worried look. She couldn't handle to be alone with the weird host.
"Let me enjoy this rich meal a little longer. Then I'll share a room with Luthien to spend the night. I wouldn't suggest you to try to corner her if she doesn't want your company. She can take care of herself".
Luthien felt so relieved that Halbrand put so much faith in her and in her abilities, that she turned to shoot a mischievous grin at their host.
"I don't doubt him. I just can't help being mesmerized by your presence" Calandir winked at her.
"It's because you isolated yourself and you don't get enough guests here" Halbrand suggested.
"I'm afraid you're right, my friend. I'm just a lonely fool".
"Maybe you're not. You just need some proper training" Halbrand replied softly.

When their appetite was satisfied, Calandir showed them another large guest room and bid them goodnight.
"Do you think we are safe to spend the night here?" she asked as soon as they were alone.
"I think I've offered what he was unawarely needing. A purpose. He knows enough of the nations living these lands and can help us bring them to our cause" Halbrand said examinating the furnished room.
"There's something about him that doesn't convince me" she admitted, sitting on the large bed.
"Just do no trust to everything you see".
"A lonely man owning a polished castle like this... is he one of the strange creatures that dwell in these lands?".
Halbrand's eyes stopped wandering to rest on hers "You may be right. Tomorrow we'll resume our journey. Enjoy these comforts. We can't know how long it will take to be hosted into a comfortable place like this".
He dropped his weapons and removed his shoes.
She eyed the tub near him "I can wait outside if you want".
He smiled "Just sleep, Luthien. There's enough room for us here".
She swallowed hard and took one side of the bed to lie down, giving her back to him so he could have his privacy as he took a bath.
She forced her eyes close, but her ears were careful for any soft sound, imagining all what she didn't want to see. Him undressing, him immerging in the water, him scrubbing himself.
She barely remembered how to breathe properly when she heard him approach the bed and climb on the other side.
The bed curved under his weight and she felt almost slipping towards him, like he was gravity itself.
"Goodnight, Luthien" he murmured, knowing she was still awake.
She turned her head slowly to take a peek of him.
He was gorgeous, with his damp hair and in a clean shirt.
He blew at the candles and darkness fell in the room, stealing him from her captured eyes.
She closed her eyes and tried to relax. Being very tired and lying on a soft bed helped her fall asleep anyway.

When she woke up it was already late in the morning.
"Good morning" Halbrand said. He was filling bags with stuff from the wardrobes. He already dressed up for travelling.
"Can we take what we want?" she asked feeling like they were overstepping in taking advantage of the generosity of their host. Unless Calandir was the first to have stolen all of that.
"I'm sure he won't mind. This stuff is more useful to us than to him".
She looked at her dress "I should get changed".
He waved to a pile of clothes on a chair "You can try those. But bring that dress too. It may turn out useful".
She blinked confused by his request "Like we will get invited to a party or to a ball?".
"If we're lucky, we will meet the leaders of various nations. You probably are aware that leaders enjoy a nice look too".
She agreed and pressed the dress into her bag.
They reunited with Calandir, who offered them a rich breakfast that lasted until lunch, then Halbrand insisted on their departure.

"Someday I'll have the luck to join your company" Calandir said accompanying them out of the castle and out of the woods, halting where they could get a good view of the landscapes.
"For now I'll try to play my part" he tried to kiss Luthien's hand but she moved away.
"We are thankful for your help, Calandir" she said offering him nothing more than a smile.
"Remember to use discretion" Halbrand recommended "Joining our mission means also sharing our enemies".
Calandir shrugged "I never liked the piked ears anyway. Say hello to the dwarves for me".
Luthien couldn't tell if she'd rather bear Calandir's presence or face the grumpy dwarves.
She followed Halbrand, nervous for the staring she felt at the back, but soon they were isolated again.
Just wilderness surrounded them.

"We moved too much to east, so now we go north or north west until we spot the Misty Mountains. If we're lucky, we will find Moria".
The legendary Moria.
As they marched at a steady pace, Luthien tried to recall all she'd learned about the dwarves realms, although most of them had to be legends.
When another day ended, they camped and eased the weight of their bags eating the food and water that Calandir had offered them.
Luthien hoped that they would find the dwarves soon and to get a similar wealthy welcome, or their escorts and supplies wouldn't help them for more than few days.

They were blessed with another tranquil night, then with another warm day that was good for marching.
"We should be too far from one of the realms" Halbrand said with his usual optimism.
Luthien felt her motivation faltering and suspected that they were simply lost. Or the world was too wide for them to travel it all on their feet.
Her legs were sore and she just wanted to sleep on a soft bed for days ro recover from that endless march.
"We need to find some signs. Try to guess what is a good location for a door to the underground" Halbrand explained.
She had no clue on how to find those signs and observed him scanning every detail around them.
He stopped by a large hill that according to him could hide one of the realms they were seeking.
Noticing how weary she was, although the day was still young, he told her to sit down and let her legs relax while he explored the surrounding.
They dropped their bags and although Luthien didn't want hem to be separated, she didn't complain and sat on the trunk of a fallen tree, her eyes following his tall frame as he examinated trees and rocks on his way.
He was a better hunter than her.
Luthien grew nervous as he moved further until she saw him finding a cave hidden under a wall of ivy and he stepped in to explore it, without turning back and calling her, so she guessed it was nothing of importance.
Her fingers wrapped around the handle of her sword to feel less vulnerable.
Birds were singing around them but she found the noise annoying. She couldn't hear clearly if other sounds had to alarm her or if someone called her.
Growing restless she stood up and walked back and forth, until she heard singing.

Of drink I have little and food I have less
My strength tells me no, but the path demands yes

Her mouth dried recognising the music. She hadn't been singing for a long time and suddenly she wished to reply with her voice, but it was dead in her throat.
She looked around but didn't see anyone.
She grabbed her sword and tried to find the source of the singing voice. It had a weird accent, but it was definitely the song she knew and that she always wanted to know where it came from. And she hoped that finally she was close to have that answer.

My legs are so short and the way is so long
I've no rest nor comfort, no comfort but song

Luthien walked but the song was carried away by the wind, until she couldn't hear it anymore.
She looked around, seeing an unfamiliar landscape.
She tried to walk back to where she had been waiting for Halbrand and left her bag, but she couldn't find it.
Tears started to run down her face as she started to panic.

Sing to me
Sing to me
Lands far away

Her soul was singing aloud, begging those foreign lands to help her, but no answer came.
She was all alone. And she was lost.

A/N

Friday 10th November 2022

Hand in my hand
And we promised to never let go
We're walking a tightrope

I really had no idea on how to title this chapter, until I remembered this underrated song 🎶
Everyone remembers Rewrite the Stars from the Greatest Showman movie and not this one 😄

So I risk it all just to be with you
And I risk it all for this life we choose
...

Never sure, will you catch me if I should fall?

Well, it's all an adventure
That comes with a breathtaking view
Walking a tightrope

He is going to kill her when he finds out she followed music in the wind 😂
Or wandering away is saving her?

I've got lost into the woods once as a child and it wasn't a pleasant experience when you live it.
If I kept walking I would have bumped in some house or towns eventually even with my lack of orientation skills (or at the bottom of a ravine), but feeling lost was really really awful.
Just when I finally found the right path to go back home, I laughed about it and called it an adventure 😂
Although sometimes there are still people who wanders into the woods of my valleys or the near Alps mountains and get lost and don't get a happy ending...

And do you remember how life was without GPS and Google Maps?

So, who's going to find Luthien?
And any idea about Calandir? An ally or a villain?

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

60.3K 1.6K 43
โžค๐˜‰๐˜–๐˜–๐˜’ 2 โžค๐˜ˆ๐˜ณ๐˜ข๐˜จ๐˜ฐ๐˜ณ๐˜ฏ ๐˜น ๐˜ณ๐˜ฆ๐˜ข๐˜ฅ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ ๐˜น ๐˜ฎ๐˜ช๐˜ญ๐˜ฅ ร‰๐˜ฐ๐˜ฎ๐˜ฆ๐˜ณ 60 years have passed and Sauron is coming back more powerful than he has ever been...
186K 5.3K 29
Once there was a Hobbit who set out on a quest to reclaim the homeland of the Erebor Dwarves of old. Never did he know where his journey would take h...
13.7K 701 26
"Look, Mila. The star is shining for you." Mila, a 21st century girl managed to save Middle Earth from destruction and rewrite history, changing the...
4.6K 214 21
She followed the dark for so long, she forgot who she was. Years after being initially captured by what Middle Earth knows them as the 'Blue Wizards'...