UNBREAK | D.M (UNRAVEL BOOK 5)

By ixfixite_

*Completed* (SEQUEL TO UNKNOWN) UNRAVEL book 5: The last thing Aine Estoileon ever remembered was the sound o... More

[ 00 ]
[ 01 ]
[ 02 ]
[ 03 ]
[ 04 ]
[ 05 ]
[ 06 ]
[ 07 ]
[ 08 ]
[ 09 ]
[ 10 ]
[ 11 ]
[ 12 ]
[ 13 ]
[ 14 ]
[ 15 ]
[ 17 ]
[ 18 ]
[ 19 ]
[ 20 ]
[ 21 ]
[ 22 ]
[ 23 ]
[ 24 ]
[ 25 ]
[ 26 ]
[ 27 ]
[ 28 ]
[ 29 ]
[ 30 ]
[ 31 ]
[ 32 ]
[ 33 ]
[ 34 ]
[ 35 ]
[ 36 ]
[ 37 ]
[ 38 ]
[ 39 ]
[ 40 ]
[ 41 ]
[ 42 ]
[ 43 ]
[ 44 ]
[ 45 ]
[ 46 ]
[ 47 ]
[ 48 ]

[ 16 ]

14 1 0
By ixfixite_

In the coming days, Aine spend most of her time catching up with her academics again. Her schedule became packed to the brim once again and now more than ever when she had been elected as a prefect. She had to juggle her homework from classes, prepare for her O.W.Ls, patrol around Hogwarts, along with mending the Vanishing Cabinet that she has yet to find with Draco and potentially having to murder a certain powerful wise wizard.

It has been a couple of weeks since school resumed, and during the course of these few weeks, both Aine and Draco have been trying to sneak away during their prefect duties at night to look for the Room of Requirement. It was the number one choice in their minds of the whereabouts of the Vanishing Cabinet. However, since they were both prefects from different houses and had gone on their rounds with a partner, it was hard to just casually slither away. It was especially harder for Draco since Pansy was always stuck next to him like glue, even when he had told her off that he wished to be alone. He was successful a couple of times but subsequently, he failed to shake her off, which had been a huge obstacle and hassle for the Slytherin boy.

Aine, on the other hand, did her rounds with Hermione mostly. The brunette's former partner, Ron has gotten lazy to do his role, occasionally forgetting or getting too tired to perform his tasks when he has been trying to land a spot in the Gryffindor Quidditch Team. Aine didn't mind doing her job with Hermione, but it does get a little tedious trying to evade and lie to her friend that she just needed some time to slip away to visit the Room of Requirement. Thus, marks the end of the first month of not being able to meet their little magical cabinet.

Thankfully, after Hermione had confronted Ron about doing his part, she managed to get the Weasley boy to continue his duties. This was a good thing for Aine since it meant that she had time to be alone and possibly be up to some improvements for her 'other' task.

Halfway through her Herbology Class, Aine had found herself being whipped away by the Head of her house, Professor McGonagall. "Professor Sprout, do you mind if I borrow Estoileon for a moment?" she politely interrupts the class.

Professor Sprout glanced between her colleague and her student before nodding, "Sure! Yes, go ahead, Miss Estoileon!" she urges.

Aine exchanged looks with Ginny who had peered over to the stern face of McGonagall. "Am I in trouble?" she asks softly while rising from her seat to leave. 

The redheaded girl rolls her eyes. "The world will end on the day I hear Aine Estoileon causing trouble," Ginny remarked, nudging her friend to go get her 'punishment'. Ginny winks at Aine and gave her a small wave, "It can't be worse than Umbridge's punishment, don't worry!"

Aine scoffs back, "I'm not worried at all!" she followed McGonagall out of the Greenhouse. Just before she exited, she turned back to see Ginny still staring at her back, "Have fun~" she mouths to her friend, grinning.

Ginny groaned and turned to the front to continue the theory lesson on the Chinese Chomping Cabbage. She was already dozing away with the lesson and now that her best friend was away, she was feeling even more bored. Ginny slumps her head back onto her desk, resting her chin on her arms as her eyes slowly grew heavier. She wished the class would end soon...

With paced steps, Aine trailed behind Professor McGonagall into her office. When she arrived, her professor offered her a seat in front of her desk before sitting herself. She then offered Aine a cup of tea and the girl took a sip of it warily.

McGonagall brought out a piece of parchment in front of her before she looks at Aine, all toughness from her features softened away. "How are you doing so far, Aine? Are you managing your studies well?" she asks the younger girl who blinks back her surprise. 

Aine smiled down at her tea, "I'm doing great, professor. The curriculum schedules are a little tight but I'm handling it well." she replies. 

The older woman exhaled with relief, she leans back and took a moment to study her student. There was just so much resemblance with Aris that it feels like Aine's mother was right in front of her eyes again. Especially the eyes, those golden topaz-coloured pupils were identical to Aris; shining so brilliantly and yet they swirl of mysteriousness too. She spots the subtle shadows under the girl's lower lashes and frowns. "I know it's probably not a very good time to ask but how are you coping with..." she pauses, wondering if it was alright to go on.

"My father?" Aine finishes for her, she knew somewhat the question was going to surface one way or another. Everyone has heard about the news, her friends, her schoolmates, there was no doubt that the professors know too.

"Yes," McGonagall answered. "You don't have to force yourself to talk about it if you don't want to—"

"It's alright, professor," Aine said. Her attention drifts to her teacup's handle and she strokes it, "I'm... Well..." she stammered, giving a small dry chuckle. "It does get hard to carry on and pretend that everything is fine when the hole he left behind is big. But I guess I'm still coping with it. I'm sure he's in a better place now anyways." 

She reminisced about the field of flowers, the massive blossom tree, and the last she had seen her father in a place she had wanted to be. A realm of eternal sunshine, warmth, peace and freedom without any shackles. If that wasn't heaven, Aine didn't know what it was. Either way, her father had looked at peace and contented there.

McGonagall reaches for the girl's hands and gave them a small pat. "I'm sure Elliot will be very proud of you. This brings me to ask you next... As you know you are taking your O.W.Ls this year, correct?"

"Yes, professor."

"Have you given any thought about what you would like to pursue as a career after your studies?" McGonagall inquired, she conjured out a scroll from her wand and peers at Aine's academic summary.

Aine furrowed in her thoughts, "I've always thought of becoming either a Healer or Potioneer..." she told her House Head. 

A grin crept onto McGonagall's face, she silently bobbed her head. "Just like your father, hm?"

The girl smiles shyly, "Yes. He is my role model and I've always aspired to be someone like him. I want to help people too, be it by treating their sickness or even providing some form of healing to those in need."

"That sounds like a lovely goal," McGonagall stated, "I'm sure you'll be able to achieve that someday. Considering your grades so far, I'm sure you'll be able to apply for both options." She placed the scroll onto her desk and showed it to Aine who glanced at it while McGonagall explains to her the requirements she needed to get in her O.W.Ls and N.E.W.Ts. 

In order to become a healer, Aine needed at least an Exceeding Exceptional score in Transfigurations, Potions, Charms, Herbology, and Defense Against the Dark Arts. To say the least, she would be able to attain the career if she carried on maintaining her grades this year and the next. The conditions for becoming a Potioneer were slightly different and much more challenging as she needed to acquire not just an Exceeding Exceptional score in Charms and Transfiguration but an Outstanding, the highest grade one can achieve in a N.E.W.T exam for Potions, Herbology and Defense Against the Dark Arts.

Aine could already imagine the strenuous studying she needed to do in order to become a Potioneer. However, she was highly motivated. It wasn't just Aine's dream but it was also a promise to her father.

"Why don't you pay Professor Slughorn a visit during your free time? I'm sure he'll be able to help you with your studies. He is, after all, a well-known Potion Master along with Professor Snape. Perhaps you can speak to them so you can grasp an understanding of what it's like to have a profession like theirs?" McGonagall suggested.

"I'll do that, professor," Aine replied with a smile. The two chatted for a little longer before the bell had rung, ending another period. It was when Professor McGonagall dismiss Aine so that the girl could carry on with her day. 

Just before Aine had reached the door, McGonagall calls out to her again, "Aine."

"Yes, professor?" Aine turned to meet the older woman. 

"If there's anything you need that we can help with, just know that we are all here. I'm sure your friends are too, so do not think for a moment that you are alone in your grief," McGonagall remarked. Even though Aine had not shown much sadness, anyone could see it hidden within those deep golden eyes of hers. 

Aine's lips curled once more before she dips her head, "Thank you, professor. And thank you for the tea as well. Have a lovely day!" and with that, she exits her Transfiguration professor's office to resume her schedules of the day.

A few days later, she decided to pay a visit to her new Potions professor during her free time. Ever since her career talks with Professor McGonagall, Aine had scheduled an appointment to speak with Professor Slughorn in regard to her career path. 

It was a Friday and she did not have any classes as it was reserved for the fifth years to do their own revisions. Her time at Hogwarts had been rather ordinary so far, with the Weasley twins no longer continuing their studies, their presence and fun were left out of many students' lives.

There weren't many jokes lately too and since her three friends: Harry, Hermione and Ron were much busier now that they had to prepare for their N.E.W.Ts, they had more classes and studying to do. Ginny, on the other hand, was also occupied with training new Quidditch recruits as well. Even Luna was missing, for the most part, and Aine figured that her dreamy Ravenclaw friend was surely looking for new tiny creatures around the school grounds.

Probably Nargles and Wrackspurts...

Standing outside of the Potions Classroom, Aine was waiting patiently for the class to be over. She rests her back on the wall and closes her eyes, letting the afternoon Sun comfort her. She could hear the faint sounds of glass clinking and knives chopping on the board. The girl tries to let her hearing tell her what kind of potions they were brewing today. It was only after some time, she heard a large explosion from the classroom that she jolted awake. She could only wonder what went wrong in the brewing stage.

Clearly, somebody had not followed the instructions well... 

Closing her eyes once more, Aine eases back into meditating her mind. Lately, she had suffered a couple of migraines out of nowhere. They would come and go without hinting at the girl and each time, she could hear the soft whispers followed by a high-pitched screeching. It was similar to the time when she had visited Borgin and Burkes. The painful piercing noise was parallel to someone clawing at a glass pane with a fork or knife. At times, it would also sound like it was a person's voice. However, the girl could not recognize who it belonged to.

Aine reels her head away, brows knitting together when she felt the surging ache in her arm again. She mentally cursed at the Dark Lord, it was as if every time the Dark Mark stung her, it was Voldemort reminding her of her duties. Frankly speaking, it was getting annoying that the pain would just increase over time. It felt like her arm had been carved apart by a dagger and then getting infused with rubbing alcohol. Aine took a deep breath, muting off her surroundings to focus on neutralizing the discomfort. 

Not realizing that the class was already over and students began scattering out of the classroom, some of the students had given Aine looks. Many wondered what was she doing outside the Potions classroom, with her eyes closed, she even looked like she was dozing off while standing.

"What are you doing here, my love?" 

Slowly fluttering her eyes open, she was met with Draco. His disgruntled frown dissolved away almost instantly when he saw Aine. The anger and frustration he had bottled up inside him from the class he had earlier diffused away. 

Aine gave him a sheepish smile, "Why hello, M'lord," she greeted. She didn't know Draco had Potions today.

Draco smirked back at her, "Hello M'lady. What are you napping off here for?" he asks, reaching for her hand to rejuvenate himself of strength. Aine clasps onto his hand that had fit nicely in hers and they both smiled at the thought of it.

She retorted back, "I wasn't sleeping. I was waiting for the class to end because Professor Slughorn wishes to see me." Aine went on telling him about her career talk with McGonagall and how she had suggested she should go look for their Potions teacher to have some chat and see if there were any advice he could give her.

Draco's mouth formed an 'O' while he listened to Aine. He told her about his experience with Snape last year and how it went. All Draco could remember was that he simply told him to do well in his studies and he'll be able to pursue whatever he wishes. Deciding a career was always tricky for Draco since his passion often changes. When he was a young boy, he wanted to be a Hogwarts governor just like his father, he had respected Lucius Malfoy for the longest time he could ever remember. After attending Hogwarts and joining the Slytherin Quidditch team, he then thought of becoming a Quidditch player. As he grew older, it varied from wanting to be an Auror to a Healer or Potioneer now. 

Perhaps it was partly due to Aine's influence that his dream had changed. There was no lie that he had an interest in Potions as well, just like her. Not to mention, he had an aptitude for the subject too. His beliefs took a drastic change when he saw how keen she was in medicinal studies and not long, he found himself studying alongside her too. He could converse with her using terms that not many of his friends knew and she would understand it. He thought it was wonderful to be able to save lives. It made him feel needed. He wanted to feel like he was needed and that with his power, he could help others. Be it as an atonement or just to see those in pain heal and smile again.

Which was also an irony, considering the fact that they had to take a life now.

When the first group of students had dispersed from their stance, Draco took a forward step towards Aine and placed his arm on the grey walls behind the girl. She took a step back, feeling the heat in her cheeks when she realize she was trapped in Draco's towering figure. Her back pressed against the cold wall and she gulps at their intimacy, it wasn't anything new but there were times Aine couldn't help but get bashful about it. 

He leans to her ears and whispered, "By the way, do you think you'll be able to evade Granger during your prefect duties? I think I can sneak out for a bit around ten. Perhaps we can go check the Room of Requirement together?"

Oh.

So that's what it was.

Pretending she wasn't the least flustered by his bold action that had caused her heart to skip a few beats, she replied before the silence could cloud the air. "I'll try... Where do I meet you?" she whispers back.

Draco drew back so he met with Aine's face, his lips twitched when he detected the rosy blush on her face. "Astronomy Tower," he said with a smoky voice, sending Aine to look away.

"Got it!" she replied brightly, unable to meet eye to eye in fear that her face would become redder.

The boy finally realized their stance, to others who passed by, it might appear scandalous. But they were a couple, who cares what the others think? A smirk tugged onto Draco's lips and he admires Aine. He could hear the very soft beating of her heart and the pulse in her fingers from their intertwined hands. "Your heart is pounding very quickly, love," he teases.

Aine's eyes widened momentarily and she squeezes his hand without noticing that their hands were still laced. "I'm not."

"Feeling shy, are you?" 

The girl gave a scoff, turning back to meet his eyes. She saw Draco's silver pupils dilate and she jerks her chin up, playing it cool. "Do not tease, Draco Malfoy," she warns, mimicking his smug grin. 

"But you're so adorable when I tease you," Draco said, moving his elbows away so that there was more space between them. He reaches to play with her side braids, not being able to stop the smile on his face. Just being next to her made everything feel fine again. Even though just a while ago, he was feeling utterly crappy for not being able to brew a proper Draught of Living Death and earning the Liquid Luck that would prove beneficial to their mission. It only made him feel even more awful when Harry had managed to do it when he was better than the Chosen One when it comes to Potions.

"I need a ranting session with you later," he muttered, pouting his lips. 

Aine blinked, confounded by his sudden mood swings. "Did something happen?" she asks, concern laced in her words. 

Draco rolled his eyes and groaned softly. He sweeps her waist to him and rests his head on her shoulder, allowing Aine to stroke through his soft, fluffy platinum locks to loosen the styling. "Kinda, but it's nothing much to worry about..." he mumbles, needy for consolation which Aine was more than willing to give.

Aine smiles a little, giving him a hug as she caressed his head. Just minutes ago, he was giving her butterflies and now he was gentle like a little child. As if already knowing who it had been the one who made him this way, Aine went on, "Do you need me to give him a little scolding?" 

"It'll be good but not necessary. I don't want to look petty about it," Draco responded glumly, his words muffled when he snuggled into Aine's embrace again. She swayed their bodies, offering some comfort to him and before she could open her mouth to say something. She heard her name being called, making her jump back to her proper self.

"Miss Estoileon!" it was Professor Slughorn, who had taken a small peek out of the door to them. He gave a jovial smile to the girl but when he saw Draco, the older man became embarrassed. He wondered if he should have waited another minute until he intruded on their moment.

"Aine?" 

The two turned to the voice and Draco immediately stiffens up when he spotted the Gryffindors. Aine tilted her head when she saw how messed up both Hermione and Ron looked. The brunette's hair was dishevelled, her curls poofier than usual while Ron has smudges of dirt here and there. Harry, surprisingly was the only one out of the group who had looked the most normal. There wasn't a hair sticking out from his usual jet-black locks and not a single spot of filth on his face.

Her eyes drifted to Dean, Neville and Seamus who walked out behind them when they spotted the younger girl. All three boys waved a greeting before turning their heels to head back to their common rooms.

"Bloody hell, what happened to you guys?" Aine questioned, still cringing a little at the sight of Seamus's burnt hair behind her friends' shoulders. Is that a bald spot that she had seen too?

"Don't ask..." Hermione spoke. she stole a peek at Harry. Her gaze was full of envy directed at him and then to the old book in his possession.

Ron quickly changed the topic, he had noted Hermione's lack of cheerfulness from just now. "Hey, Ai! What are you doing here? Do you—" 

"I'll see you later, alright?" Draco interjected, sending the last smile to Aine as the girl mirrored his expression before he excused himself coldly away from her friends.

"Git," Harry secretly commented under his breath. When he looked up, he swallowed when he found Aine's eyes locking on his. She narrowed her eyes at him, hearing the remark he had just uttered.

The tension between Harry and Draco was back and it feels like things were far more fractured than before. Aine could only wonder if there was a way to mend the two boy's relationship, if anything, she wanted them to have a mutual relationship. Was it really impossible after all?

Aine then bid her friends goodbye before carrying on her career talk with Professor Slughorn in his classroom. She managed to steal a glance at the cauldrons which still had some residue left from her peers' brewing. A snicker left her when she spotted the small patch of soot left from someone's experiment that had gone terribly wrong.

She decided to assist Slughorn in cleaning up the classroom as her professor let her on some of his experiences as a Potioneer. It was a win-win situation that Aine found out Slughorn liked, she had gained some advice in regard to the job she was interested in and in return, Slughorn had some help in getting the classroom back to its perfect state. 

Her eyes then landed on a small vial on his desk that had been propped up in a retort stand. "Professor, what is this?" she politely asks, standing over the water-like potion. It was transparent but upon a closer look, there were fine golden speckles in it that had sparkled.

"Ah!" Slughorn shot her a grin, he walks towards it and unclamps the vial and brought it into the air. "This... Miss Estoileon— Is Liquid Luck," he reveals.

There was a glint in Aine's eyes that Slughorn had caught a glimpse of. A flicker of curiosity and fascination. "Liquid Luck..." she muttered, staring at the small tear-drop bottle as she tries to bring up some information in the encyclopedia in her mind.

"Felix Felicis—" she states and Slughorn claps in delight at her for knowing the name of the potion. "It allows the drinker to feel lucky for a period of time and makes an ordinary day become an extraordinary one. However, one should be warned that it should be used sparingly otherwise it may cause giddiness, recklessness and dangerously overconfidence. It is one of the most difficult potions to make and disastrous if brewed wrongly," she recited confidently, the words pouring out of her lips smoothly like honey. Every word she had spoken was identical to the excerpt she had read in books.

The girl geeking out had greatly awed Professor Slughorn. He could only beam at her ability to know such an advanced potion and describe what it was without a single mistake. No doubt she was Elliot's daughter, she not only inherited his brilliant mind but his passion and gift of potions. Oh, he was very tempted...

Tempted to have her collected on his shelf of honourable, talented, students who had the potential to be successful and famous. 

"... And anything that they attempt to do will be successful..." she trails off, understanding what it meant for her. This potion— If she could brew it successfully, it would serve as a very useful tool for their mission.

"I had the students brew a potion during my class earlier, and whoever could successfully cook one will be given one vial of Felix Felicis," Slughorn told her.

"Brewing a Draught of Living Death potion?" Aine commented and Slughorn's brows rose at her. 

"You continue to surprise me, Miss Estoileon! That is correct. How did you know that?" he questioned, intrigued at the girl.

Aine pointed to the bottles of ingredients sprawled across tables in the classroom, "There are Powdered roots of Asphodel, Wormwood infusions, Sloth brains and chopped Sopophorous beans right there."

Marvelled at Aine's perception of noting the ingredients and how she managed to come up with the correct answer, Slughorn gave brief applause to the girl. 

She's a smart girl...

"But it's easier to crush the beans to extract the juice instead of chopping them though," she casually said.

"Why do you think so?"

"The beans will bounce when you puncture them with a silver knife. It is far easier and more efficient to simply crush them with the flat side of a knife to obtain the juice. You also get more of it," Aine tells him and Slughorn's lips curl.

"Very impressive!" Slughorn complimented her. However, Aine did not say it to earn commendations. "Not many of my older students earlier know that, and I'm sure that you can guess what happened."

"Beans were darting and ricocheting, aren't they?" she chuckles, recalling when she heard chopping noises outside the classroom.

"Indeed," Slughorn chortles. He sat on the edge of his desk and pondered. "You exude an exceptional aura, Miss Estoileon. I have no doubt that you'll leave a great mark in the Wizarding World with your skills. You will definitely be successful in the future if you were to pursue Potion-making as a career."

"You flatter me, professor. I simply like to read a lot of such books and my father— Has been a pivotal inspiration, I would not have been able to be where I am without his help and guidance," Aine replied, smiling sadly down at her charm bracelet. She fiddles with the dark blue stone her father had given her.

"Would you like me to mentor you in your father's stead?" Slughorn offered, taking a leap of faith in hopes that Aine would take it. He wanted her in his circle to proffer about. She was an exquisite young witch, far brighter than anyone of her age.

Aine studies her professor's features, his eyes widened slightly and they stopped blinking. He was looking at her as though she was an ornament, captivated and with desire. "I would like to respectfully decline, professor. You see, Professor Snape is already my mentor," she said, lightly laughing to ease the atmosphere. Although she had a new Potions professor, it was still thanks to Professor Snape's nurture and guidance that she gained knowledge and enhanced her mastery of Potions. He was brooding most of the time but she improved with his help. "But thank you for thinking highly of me and offering me to be your mentee."

Though Snape had confused her about his allegiance and attitude, she still had some loyalty and respect left for him.

Slughorn frowns with disappointment, he hadn't expected her to say 'no' since his past students had taken his offer without hesitation. They wanted fame and connection just like him but Aine was different. She didn't need fame or connections. She simply wished to do her job well and help those in need even if it meant that she had to start from nothing. She had the fiery ambition and determination within her to achieve her goals.

"Then would you then be interested in joining my very own club where I host social dinner events during out-of-hours with a group of talented individuals like yourself? You might be able to meet and interact with some of your friends who share the same hobby and talents as you!" he presents.

"I..." Aine started. She has already had a lot on her plate and she wasn't sure if she was fit for a social event. She was a socially-introverted person too after all... She wanted to refuse his offer but seeing the plea in Slughorn's gaze made Aine feel bad to decline him. She has already rejected his proposal of being his mentee earlier and she was getting free advice from him about becoming a fully-fledged Potioneer.

"I'm sure you'll fit well in the group! Some of your friends are also in it so you don't have to worry about being out of place! There will also be meals and desserts served in sessions! It's just some casual conversations over dinner, that's all!" 

Aine furrows, thinking of his offer deeply. She could see the desperation in his glistening wrinkled eyes and after a thorough thought. She finally gave in. 

It's just dinner anyways, and some dessert... Desserts are good so there's that! And chatting... Well, what could go wrong right..? It's just some casual chitchat, that's all! She reassures herself.

However, it wasn't just some casual dinner like she had expected. But Aine wouldn't know that until she had gone to her first Slug Club dinner. 

And that's another task added to Aine's list of never-ending activities: Attending the Slug Club during out-of-hours. 

Fantastic! Aine cheered with a lack of enthusiasm in her head. She was going to burn out sooner than later with such hectic schedules. 

Her fifth year was indeed going to be one hell of a busy one...

─── ⋆⋅☀⋅⋆ ───── ⋆⋅☀⋅⋆ ───

A rather long chapter for yall! I'm sorry if it's meh because I kinda ran out of ideas to continue it to the next part ;-; But I added some sweet cute moments with Aine and Draco, so I hope you enjoy that! 

Do give this chapter an upvote if you liked it~ 

Love ya lots! <3

- Zeneria

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.3K 388 30
Various Harry Potter (girls) x Modern! fem reader *Warning⚠️ β€’ Grammatical error β€’ Foul language β€’ All I published with pictures came from Pinterest...
5.3K 206 55
Daisy Malfoy is Draco Malfoy's younger (adopted) sister. she was adopted by the Malfoys because she became an accidental horcrux. She is an innocent...
298K 8K 63
Anna Green's life was going just fine before he came along. Her friendship with the golden trio and Ginny Weasley was family-like. She loved having f...
19K 503 44
May 23. 2021 - June 14. 2021 ~ I don't want any trouble just want to write, so if any mistakes are made or if certain credits aren't given that I may...