The Divine Tears

By DavidFarberAuthor

Follow Daarion, a young boy on a path to gain the greatest power in all kingdoms. A gift from the divine drag... More

The Divine Tears
PREFACE
PROLOGUE
YEAR 1
YEAR 3
YEAR 5
YEAR 7
YEAR 8

PATH OF THE GREAT DIVINES

22 1 0
By DavidFarberAuthor

'Wake up, boy,' the angry voice of old Meekos pierced into Daarion's ear drums, jolting him from his peaceful rest in a way no other disturbance could ever quite manage.

'You've overslept again!' came the loud scolding of the old man.

Daarion slowly came to and wiped at his eyes, still a little confused.

'Go clean yourself up,' the old man continued. 'I need you to go into town for a sack of grain, the one they sold me last week has gone rotten.'

Daarion lazily sat up on his uncomfortably itchy straw-stuffed bed, a bed that was not fully suitable for a boy as young as him. Through his long dark wavy hair, he glanced over at the old man on the other side of the barn. Inwardly he thought that the grain couldn't possibly be as rotten as the grumpy old coot staring down at him, but Daarion knew better than to speak such things aloud.

'Daarion,' the old man growled once more at the weary boy. 'Did you hear me?'

It had to have been quite early still, for the sun had barely risen high enough to peek through the cracks of the crumbling old barn.

'Yes, sir Meekos,' Daarion nodded. 'I heard you, sir.'

The fog of sleep and his dreams still thick in his head.

'Then stand up and clean yourself up. Lady Rina has breakfast for you, go to her after you've washed yourself.'

Meekos marched out of the barn with his rake in hand without another word. Daarion stood up slowly from his bed, picking up the wooden bucket beside his bed, and took a sip of the cold water. The musty taste of the cold water swirled around his dry mouth, waking him further from his drowsy state. Sighing, he reached for his worn jacket that was drawn over the broken armchair and put it on, careful not to tear it further. He walked out of the barn with his bucket in hand. The sun was just beginning to rise, he was struck by an icy wind that his old jacket couldn't quite shield him from. But Daarion was no stranger to early cold mornings on the old farm. Hugging himself to preserve some of his own heat, he walked on towards the well, located not far from the barn. At the well, he pulled a larger bucket from inside and poured some of the water into his own bucket.

Back in his barn room he took off his dirty clothes and began the process of washing himself with an old rag he found in one of the barn stalls. This was not the best cleaning method Daarion knew, but it was all he had. He had no clean clothes, only two trousers, one shirt, a pair of leather shoes stitched up many times, and his beloved leather jacket, worn, but Daarion was not without sentiment.

After cleaning himself to a reasonable degree he went and gathered some hay from the bail beside his room and hopped to the horse's bail at the end of the barn. He placed the fresh pile of hay next to the elderly gelding who approached it slowly. The old boy didn't go outside too often these days but when Meekos wasn't around, Daarion would sneak the old brown horse outside until he saw the farm owner's return. Daarion loved the horse since it was the only friend he's ever had, and he named him Ash.

Every morning he would brush the horse with a soft brush he picked up outside the farm on the road, he thought it must've been a noble lady's brush, for it was beautiful and had a golden flower pattern engraved on it. Once he was finished, he went outside. The air was still cool but refreshing. Daarion took a moment to take in the beautiful scenery of the farmlands, sheep were gathered together, and chickens and overfed cows were roaming about. He made his way over to the house where Meekos, his wife Rina, and their young boy Kluss lived. The house was made of oak trees, sturdy but outdated. It was still a perfect home for a family of three with more room to spare, but Daarion was given his barn room and never was he ungrateful for what he had.

Rina was already busy cooking a stew on the flames of the fireplace. Kluss, the fiery-haired boy was half asleep on a chair at the dining table. Daarion never really spent time with this boy.

'Go ahead and sit down Daarion,' Rina said in a gentle voice that always made him feel right at home. 'The food will be ready in a moment.'

Lady Rina was an elegant woman, light brown hair cascaded over her shoulders and her movements were always so graceful. She was much, much older than Daarion, though she was also definitely too young for Meekos. Nevertheless, Daarion enjoyed being around her, for she was kind and Meekos was never too harsh with him whenever she was nearby.

She poured the stew into two wooden bowls; she also broke a piece of bread into two and put it into the bowls.

'Thank you, lady Rina,' Daarion began eating the hot stew with the piece of bread.

Kluss, still half asleep pulled his bowl closer. 'It's too hot,' cried the boy after taking a small bite.

'Then blow on it,' said Rina as she took a seat at the table with her own bowl.

Kluss moaned and did what his mother told him.

'Did master Meekos tell you what to do today, Daarion?' she said in her gentle voice.

'He told me to go into town for grain,' answered Daarion, clearing his throat. 'As the grain from last week has gone rotten.'

'Yes, but make sure you buy from our old merchant, this new one's reduced prices are no good.'

Daarion nodded as he finished the last bit of his breakfast. 'Thank you for the meal lady Rina.'

Daarion stood from his chair, took the bowl as he tried to clean up after himself.

'There's no need,' Rina took the bowl from Daarion with a soft smile, 'I'll clean up.'

Rina grabbed a satchel from the table, handing it to Daarion.

'Remember to take an apple from the tree down the road,' said Rina. 'It will help you on the road to the city. Oh, and there is an extra copper coin in there for a piece of bread for when you're hungry.'

The sun was already high in the sky when Daarion took off to the dusty road on his trip to town. He was pleased with being sent to town for chores, for then he did not have to do the tiring work Meekos put him through at the farm. Trips like those felt like a small getaway from reality to Daarion, and he relished in it.

A long way down the road a grand and lonesome apple tree came into view, the one Rina mentioned. The tree was lush with crimson apples, many within reaching distance. Daarion took only one apple but did not eat it immediately, he spared it until he came to a post at the end of the road. The post was quite old, worn and broken. The letters carved into it was nearly faded out, but Daarion knew by heart what was engraved there. At last able to rest, Daarion took a seat on a large flat rock that stood right beside the post, he pulled the apple from his pocket and dug his teeth into it. He spat the seeds on a broken piece of the post in the shape of a pointing hand and on it stood "Enolia."

Back on the road, the scenery became lusher with shrubs, greenery, and tall maple trees, the flora of many colours grew on either side of the road.

A distance off, Daarion spotted a cart on the road with a horse dragging it, the man on the cart greeted Daarion with a nod and a friendly smile, Daarion returned the gesture with an awkward smile of his own and glanced over towards the goods that were visible within the cart. He smelled the aroma of sweet wine from the three barrels on the cart upon his passing. It wasn't a long walk thereafter that Daarion finally came close to the capital city.

The trees, bushes, and flowers gave way, and the magnificent capital city of Enolia came into view. Daarion stood at the edge of the forested road he just passed through, he had a look of pure wonder and awe plastered on his face as he took in the view of the grand city, even though he has seen it multiple times before, he's never seen any sight like it before.

A city that had great tall stone walls and in them were thousands of marvellous houses, shops, buildings, and at the very end a glistening and mighty castle with towers tall enough to kiss the heavens above, protected by an inner wall. The structure was encircled by numerous bright red flags boasting the symbol of a proud golden dragon, it stood tall and overlooked the city below.

The ocean was a mere arrow shot away from the outer walls of the capitol, down a steep cliff. Surrounding the city were many rich farmlands that Daarion now walked through on the road which led to the city entrance. He made his way to the giant gates, mumbling apologies as he bumped into many people who were coming in and out in loud bustling crowds.

The city was busy today, much busier than Daarion had ever seen it. The shopkeepers were shouting, all of them desperate to make sure the people heard how their products were better than the others beside them. Greed hung high in the air in the streets of Enolia. The rows of different vendors led down the city's market area as far as the eye could see. Anything and everything worth buying were sold here. As Daarion strolled past all of these vendors he was drawn in by the wide variety of goods being sold. He was especially intrigued by a man with a strange accent selling bizarre, multicoloured and odd-looking lizard-like creatures. And although they were small in size, Daarion was certain they wouldn't stay that way.

The stall located next to the man with his strange creatures was manned by a ragged-looking old woman with feathers in her grey hair who had on display many different odds and ends. Small bottles were placed on the table before her which contained liquids of different sorts that Daarion did not recognise, however, they smelled lovely.

As he walked further down the alleyway, he caught a familiar smell of the same aroma of sweet wine. A few strides later he smelled the baking of fresh bread and his stomach gave a low grumble in reply. Beside the baker stood the vendor selling the grain which he needed to buy. Daarion approached the man who stood at a small table with sacks of grain piled up behind him.

'A sack of grain please,' Daarion asked in a small voice.

'What did you say, boy?' the merchant asked with a loud voice. 'You'll need to speak louder,'

'A sack of grain, please,' Daarion said louder, feeling the blood run to his cheeks.

'Oh,' said the merchant. 'Your master decided to come back to me after all then? I told him he should not buy that poor grain from that other man with his ridiculous prices.'

Daarion was silent.

The merchant fetched one bag of grain and threw it on the table.

'That will be ten copper coins, pay up boy,' said the merchant in a flat tone.

Daarion nervously pulled the satchel from his pocket and counted down ten copper coins, handing them to the merchant.

'Why's the city so busy today?' Daarion asked, curiosity finally winning the battle against his own nervousness.

'You haven't heard? asked the merchant with a look of genuine surprise. 'It's the time of Valkans of course.'

Daarion's eyes lit up. He grabbed the sack of grain in both hands, mumbled a quick thank you and then he was off, rushing through the crowds towards the castle. He rushed through an alley, took a sharp turn and without paying proper attention, ran straight into another young boy.

'Watch where you're going!' the boy exclaimed angrily.

'Sorry,' Daarion flushed as he helped the boy up from the ground.

Daarion saw a long line of children who stood all the way from the merchant shops right to the steps of the castle. He then jogged past the long row of children all the way to the castle steps. At the end of a line sat a very old man with a long grey beard, attired in wizard robes. Before him stood a simple wooden table, a single crystal ball was placed atop of the table as well. Two fearsome looking paladins clad in grey armour, with a dragon head carved into their chest plate, along with their open-face helms were guarding the wizard on either side. As Daarion watched, a young girl came up to the table before the wizard from the row of children waiting behind.

'Place your hand on the crystal, girl,' said the old wizard.

The girl placed her hand over the crystal. The fog within the crystal turned a bright shade of leaf green.

'No good,' said the wizard while shaking his head, 'you have elvish blood.'

'I'm no elf,' declared the girl loudly with arms folded defiantly. 'I'm from a noble family that serves the King.'

'I said you have elvish blood, child,' the wizard answered with mild exasperation. 'You are unfit, now move along.'

The girl threw up her nose and stormed off. After her the next child approached, he placed his hand on the crystal, and in answer to the touch, the crystal turned a shade of yellow so deep it could've been mistaken for gold.

'Dwarven blood,' said the wizard and shook his head once more. 'Move along.'

Daarion watched with curiosity as many more children who touched the crystal were turned away. Each time the crystal lit up either green or yellow.

'Interesting, isn't it? asked a boy behind Daarion.

Daarion glanced over at the boy and then back at the children. 'It is.'

'It turns out pure humans are hard to come by,' said the boy with a smile. 'I wish I could try.'

'Why can't you?'

'I'm too old. In order to try and become a Valkan you must be between the ages of ten and fourteen. I'm only a mere year off.'

They both watched on as another child failed, this one having elvish blood.

'What's your name?' asked the boy.

'I'm Daarion. And yourself?'

'I'm Milos.' said the boy, shaking Daarion's hand.

'And how old are you, Daarion?'

'Twelve.'

'Why don't you try? If you're very lucky, you could become a Valkan yourself someday.'

Daarion did not answer, for he was already lost in thought at the possibilities of what his life could be if he indeed were lucky enough. No more words were exchanged after that and both boys continued looking on in silence as many more children failed the trial of purity. Finally, a boy came up, and as he touched the crystal, it slowly turned a bright white that soon shifted itself into a noticeably light blue colour.

'At last, a pure human,' the old wizard smiled and pulled a large book from his lap. 'What is your name, child?'

'Erwan, sir,' said the light-haired boy in a small but sure voice.

'Family name?' the wizard asked as he began writing down the name.

'Reid, Sir.'

'Erwan Reid,' the wizard raised his eyes from the paper after writing the boy's name. 'Well done, Erwan Reid. In the moment of becoming a Valkan you shall rebuke the name of Reid; do you accept this condition?'

'I accept, Sir.'

'Good. If you would make your way up to castle Enolia, a paladin shall receive you at the entrance, should you choose to move onward from here on.'

Erwan gazed up at the towers and then back towards his parents, standing on the sidelines. With tears in his eyes, he smiled and waved farewell to his parents. His mother sobbed as she held on to her husband for support. And his father, with a look of pride, waved back at his son as Erwan began walking away.

'I've been waiting here for nearly four hours for this to finally happen,' said Milos. 'Look at the people, the collective pride they share for this kid.'

But Daarion did not take his eyes off Erwan as he made his way up the stairs. He imagined himself ascending those very same stairs.

'You should try, Daarion,' Milos put a hand on his shoulder which startled Daarion back to reality. 'All the children from across the realm have come for the trials. It only happens every twenty years, so you'll be an old man when the next Valkans are chosen. Just imagine, the power of a dragon.'

'I can't,' said Daarion. 'My master would not approve.'

'Your master? You're not a slave, are you? If a paladin learns about that, then your master would lose his head for such an act.'

'No,' said Daarion as he nervously picked at his fingers, 'I'm no slave,

'You have no excuse then,' said Milos, giving Daarion an encouraging squeeze on his shoulder.

Daarion turned, and put out his hand, shaking Milos' hand. 'I will keep what you said in mind. A pleasure to meet you, Milos.' Daarion smiled, releasing his hand, threw the bag of grain over his shoulder, turned on his heel and began his journey back home.

On the road, Daarion couldn't help thinking back to the wizard with the crystal, Erwan, and most of all, Milos' words. His thoughts were running miles ahead and journeying much further than the pace he was walking.

Why shouldn't I try? Daarion thought, watching the ground as he walked the pebbled littered road, absentmindedly kicking at the small rocks with his worn shoes. He doubted anyone would know where he went if he had decided to turn back and return to the city. But was he prepared for the consequence if he indeed did fail the test and was forced to slog back home? Meekos would be furious. And he knew firsthand what happens when old Meekos got angry. Simply asking him would provoke said anger.

Daarion was so busy battling his own thoughts that he walked past the post he rested at in what seemed like no time at all, barely noticing the time it took him. The seeds from the apple were all dried up. This time Daarion did not stop for a rest on the flat stone beside the post, for his thoughts were far too troubled for much rest to be had. So, he walked on. Soon he arrived back at the apple tree, he plucked another apple since he forgot to buy a piece of bread during all the distractions in the city. After he ate the apple, he pulled the one remaining copper coin from the satchel and stuffed it into his shoe for safekeeping.

The sky was coated in a shade of orange, and the sun said its farewell as it began its descent behind the high mountain peaks. When he arrived at Meekos' farm, all was eerily quiet, but Daarion paid no mind to this as he walked through the fields towards the barn. Once there, he opened the barn door, threw the bag of grain in one of the stalls, and made his way to greet his only friend. After giving the horse more hay for the night and a quick brush, Daarion went to his room, fell on his itchy straw bed, and slept until morning came. He woke with the sound of the rooster's call. Daarion would not go back to sleep and hoped to escape his reality within the comfort of his dreams.

When Meekos emerged from his home Daarion was already up and working in the fields. He surveyed the ground with a shovel in order to make place for the grain that he bought.

'Finally decided to wake up at an appropriate time?' Meekos said in his growly voice.

Meekos turned to fetch the plow. Daarion stayed silent and kept to his work. However, Daarion did not know if what he was doing was correct, but he was in no mood for the scolding that was sure to come should he ask.

Meekos marched back with a strong horse with a plough strapped to it. He began plowing the field.

After working for some time, Lady Rina came from the house.

'Why don't you go look for eggs from the chicken nests, child?' Meekos asked.

'I already did, sir,' answered Daarion.

'Good morning, Daarion,' said Rina with a friendly smile. 'You can come inside for breakfast.'

'He will come when he's milked the cow,' said Meekos in a demanding tone that resonated finality.

'I also did, sir,' Daarion said. 'I placed the bucket at your doorstep.'

'Did you now?' Meekos halted plowing and raised a questioning eyebrow. 'How about you go into the barn and clean that shithole over there then?'

'I did that as soon as I woke up, sir,' Daarion's voice became faint.

'Leave the child be,' Rina brushed her hair from her face. 'He hasn't had breakfast yet and he must be starving. Come now, Daarion.'

'Sir, lady Rina,' Daarion said hesitantly as he waited for more protests from Meekos before he spoke further. But after receiving only a blank stare from Meekos and a warm smile from Lady Rina, Daarion felt more confident to continue. 'I've done all of my work today and then some. Is there any chance that I can go to the city and take my chance in the Valkan trial?'

'Yes,' said Rina, revealing her teeth with a large smile. 'Of course, you-'

'No!' Meekos yelled out clutching his fist. 'You most certainly will not. Not after all I've done for you, you ungrateful child. I feed you every day. I gave you a home after your weak, cowardly father died. I gave you a chance to live and this is what I get in return? You'll just run away and try to become a Valkan? Let me tell you now-boy. You will fail, that is all you will ever be, a failure. This is where you are useful.'

'Meekos!' Rina pulled her husband's shirt, looking him in the eyes with anger boiling from hers. 'How dare you talk to a child like that? He has a right to partake in the trial. A right to his own choices.'

'Not under my roof he does not,' Meekos retorted, just as angry.

Daarion felt ashamed and out of place, his confidence from earlier was now long gone. He stared at the ground, unable to look at them.

'Come Daarion, your breakfast must be cold by now,' Rina stretched out her arm, grabbing Daarion's hand with her cold glare still firmly on Meekos, who was now blood red in the face from either anger or embarrassment.

The fireplace had a faint burn to it. Lady Rina poured hot stew from the pot that dangled above the faintly burning wood. She handed over the bowl. Still feeling ashamed, the boy did not move. He did not take the bowl or thank lady Rina, he only sat on the chair, motionless.

'What a foul man,' said lady Rina as she emptied out the last bit of stew from the pot. 'That was uncalled for. Don't you agree, Daarion?'

He did not answer.

She sat opposite Daarion. She gently took his hands and clenched them. 'I will not let this opportunity slip away from you. I will make certain you arrive at the city today. Finish your food, then we shall take the horse from the barn and that old wagon and ride to the city. After all, Meekos won't be able to kick us both out of the house.'

Daarion glanced up at the fair lady with her soft motherly smile. The look on her face filled him with warmth and hope.

He did as she said, he finished his meaty stew and went on to the barn.

Once there he pulled out the dusty wooden wagon from one of the stalls. The wagon looked as if only made for a single person. He then opened the stall for the old horse. Ash hesitated before stepping out, it stood frozen as if in shock, staring at the lands and the forest surrounding the farmlands. The gelding neighed and bolted, it ran across the fields, stretching its old legs. Daarion grabbed a dry rag, dipped it into the horse's water and wiped the dust off the wagon. He then whipped the dust from a harness in Ash's bail.

The horse awaited Daarion outside the barn, the clinking of the metals and the pull of the leather from the harness called the old horse.

Rina came from the house with high boots digging in the mud and stretching her leather gloves, it seemed strange for Daarion to see her in that sort of attire-with her dress that she held up, avoiding the mud all ladylike. She took the harness gear from Daarion and strapped it expertly on the horse.

'Where did you learn to do this so swiftly, lady Rina?' Daarion asked.

'You would not believe it, Daarion,' she answered. 'I was quite the horse rider when I was younger, I even won a handful of tournaments.'

'I would never have expected. Why did you stop? I've never seen you ride.'

Rina finished strapping the harness on the horse and hooking it on the wagon.

'Well, Daarion,' she said in a soft voice, 'a day came where a horse fell on my leg, it broke, and I was never the rider I was before. I had an arranged marriage with Meekos and I had a son. For me, my life changed the moment that horse fell on me.'

She knelt before Daarion, then took his face in her hands. 'If there is any chance that you won't end up like myself, even if it means that I might not see you again, I will give that to you in a heartbeat.'

'What is this?' Meekos grunted and rushed over, furious.

'I am taking Daarion to the city,' Lady Rina stood, shielding Daarion.

'You shall do no such thing,' Meekos said quickly.

'I shall,' Rina walked over to the miserable old man, meeting his face. 'Climb on up Daarion.'

'No!' yelled Meekos. 'I am the master of this farm, both of you will obey me.'

'I am not your slave,' Rina fired back quickly. 'Neither is Daarion.'

She hopped on, taking her seat on the wagon, Daarion did the same.

'If what I am doing is so wretched,' said Rina again. 'Then exile me, shove me out of our home, leave our son to live here without me.'

Meekos for once said nothing.

'As I thought,' Rina's voice was cold.

She shook the reins. The horse pulled the wagon as it walked on to the road.

The wagon jerked and bounced but not once did it seem as if the wheels would break.

'That was brave,' said Daarion.

'I thought it might be about time,' Rina sat straight in her seat beside Daarion, assured of herself.

'Never have I seen him speechless like that before,' Daarion glanced over to Rina. 'I enjoyed it.'

The Lady smiled faintly and pulled her nose up proudly.

The road was peaceful, bird songs filled the silence, the wind brushed through the trees as the two on the wagon smelled the fresh damp scent of the forest.

'You know Daarion,' Rina finally said. 'When it turns that you're a pure human I won't be able to see you for an awfully long time.'

Daarion took his eyes off the trees and stared at Rina. 'But what if I have elvish or dwarven blood? What am I to do then? Meekos would certainly not have me live there any longer.'

'I'd look after you, Daarion. But I have a strong feeling you would pass the first trial.'

Daarion was quiet.

'And when you do pass the first trial, you may never under any circumstances give up. There will be harsh training in combat and education for eight years. You may never give up. Do you hear me, Daarion?'

Daarion nodded.

'Good,' Rina's voice became softer. 'I don't want to see you come back to us. I wouldn't bare to see you fail. The next time I look at you, you better be a Valkan.'

She took Daarion's hand and squeezed it, her eyes were watery. Daarion had a feeling of wanting within him, a feeling that someone cared for him. A feeling only a mother can give.

There was silence.

They passed the broken post.

'How come you know so much of Valkans?' Daarion asked.

'Well,' Rina relaxed her hands on the reins, 'since I was a child, I always wanted to become a Valkan, but when the time came for the first trial it turned out I have elvish blood. That is when I went into horse riding.'

'Elvish blood? Is that why you look so young, m'lady?'

Rina smirked and gave a short laugh. 'Oh, my dear Daarion. I appreciate the compliment, but no. Only pure elves are immune to ageing.'

The sun was high when they reached the capital. At the entrance of the tall stone walls, there was a large barn where people would leave their horses until they finished their business in the city. Rina halted at the barn and gave a silver coin to the stable boy. The stable boy escorted the horse into the barn to rest.

The city was just as busy as the day before, if not more. Rina inspected stalls of different goods; she even bought a small red bottle of perfume.

They went through alleyways, reaching the long queue of children.

'Take your place here, Daarion,' said Rina. 'It seems we might be here for some time.'

Although they were quite a distance from the castle gates, the queue moved steadily forward. Now and then, Rina would venture back to the vendors for food and drink, she also managed to snap up some delicate copper hair pins and a bracelet adorned with fine colourful beads. She did not have many opportunities to buy goods for herself, this was a great opportunity for her to indulge in the festivities of the city.

She returned to Daarion's side with a basket of sweet bread and salted fish. Daarion loved the sweet bread, eating most it.

'It's almost time for your turn,' said Rina.

There were only two more children ahead of Daarion.

'What did I tell you?' she asked.

'Never give up,' answered Daarion.

'Good,' Rina looked over at a child failing the first trial by having elvish blood. 'This might be the last time we see each other, my dear Daarion. I have not always been there for you but be sure that I've always cared for you.'

She tucked the boy in her arms. Tears crawled down her cheeks.

'Come visit me in eight years,' she let go of Daarion and grabbed his shoulders, kissing his cheek. 'Go on.'

A child failed, walked off the stairs. A paladin beside the old wizard signalled at Daarion to come closer. Daarion took to the steps. His heart thumped. The wizard was half asleep, with his eyes nearly shut and his hands in his long white beard. Daarion hesitated, a chill rushed through his body.

'Come child,' the wizard said. 'Many await after you. Place your hand on the crystal.'

Daarion's hand was shaking. He touched the cold, foggy crystal. The crystal's white fog moved slowly in a circular motion. Some colours came and went, some were dark, others were light, too light in fact, but nevertheless they all passed and gave Daarion some more unneeded nervousness. The fog slowed, swerving into a cyclone, like a small hurricane within the crystal. All colours were faded, and for a moment Daarion nearly had lost the little faith he had in himself. But then it happened, a faded blue crept from deep within and consumed the whole of the fog with a light blue colour.

Daarion took a breath, grinning, a grin he'd not had for a long time. He threw his head back. Rina, with more tears, her hands clenched up on her chest, nodded at Daarion, as if like a proud mother.

'A pure human,' the wizard's eyes widened. He pulled the book from his lap and dipped a feathered pen in a quill on the table. 'Well, child. What is your name?'

Daarion pulled his head back towards the wizard.

'Daarion, sir.'

'Family name?'

'I'm not sure, sir.'

'You're not sure? Did you forget your family name, child?'

'No, sir. I never knew it.'

'You're an orphan then?'

'Yes,' Daarion looked down in shame.

The wizard noticed the child's remorse. 'There's no need to be ashamed of being an orphan, child. I was one myself, and this paladin on my left, he was one as well.'

Daarion glanced over at the paladin in fierce armour. He looked at Daarion through his helmet and winked at him, aiding in a slimmer of assurance.

'See child,' said the wizard. 'An orphan can become something great. Now, let's move along. In the moment of becoming a Valkan you shall rebuke your family name, do you accept?'

'But I don't have a family name,' Daarion murmured.

'I have to ask it,' the wizard scratched his eyebrow. 'Say yes, child.'

'Yes,' Daarion nodded.

'Very well. If you would make your way up to castle Enolia, a paladin shall receive you at the castle entrance.'

Daarion began his way up the steps. He halted, looking back. Rina, like a proud mother, waved at him fiercely. He waved back, though he had sadness within him, and he felt it creeping up within his throat and to his eyes, which turned watery. He seized one last look at the woman who took care of him all those years before turning away.

Daarion proceeded to walk the steps. Rina adjusted into the wagon and began her journey back to the farm. The young boy's heart sank at the thought of poor Rina returning all alone to a fuming Meekos, but he had to look forward and focus on the task ahead of him.

Just as the wizard had said, a paladin with fierce armour and a sword on his left hip stood at the castle entrance to greet him upon his arrival.

'Greetings,' said the paladin in a stiff but friendly tone.

Daarion only gave a slight bow, unsure how he was supposed to respond.

'If you would follow me,' the Paladin turned.

The paladin opened the large wooden castle doors. There was a hallway to another large wooden door that led to the main hall. There were two hallways as well to the left and right. Daarion's eyes grew wide in shock at the massive interior. The paladin took to the left and Daarion followed, afraid of falling behind. Torches illuminated the hallway in a brilliant orange light, accompanied by enormous glass windows to the left. Every glass window was fragmented into hundreds of multicoloured pieces, skillfully assembled into brilliant depictions of different dragons. Daarion drew in a breath and stopped in his tracks, it was by far the most captivating sight he had ever seen. On the right side of the hallway were carvings within the wall, depicting soldiers, dragons, elves and dwarves.

'What are all these carvings, sir?' Daarion asked in a small voice. 'It seems as if it's telling a story.'

The paladin halted, staring intently at the carvings.

'This,' the paladin rubbed his fingers across a soldier carving, 'this is the history of our land, the history of the first great war and the first Valkans. In time you shall learn from your classes what these carvings mean.'

The paladin's hand left the wall and proceeded to walk on. Daarion examined the wall one last time, his eyes lingering on the dragons a little longer, then he turned on his heel and quickly followed behind once more.

The paladin opened a thick wooden door. The smell of the ocean and fresh soil was the first to hit Daarion's nose, second came the sound of seagulls that struck his ears. The sounds and smells were both pleasant and overwhelming to Daarion at the same time. A campus boasted before him, virtuous, quiet, and intimidating. All seemed like a dream to the young boy.

'This campus is where you'll live for the next eight years,' said the paladin. 'If you succeed in all your trials of course.'

'This place is all for me?' Daarion looked up at the paladin with the eyes of a child, filled with wonder.

'Well, not only for you,' he answered in a tone with a little more humor to it, perhaps a little sympathy for Daarion. 'Hundreds of other children will live here as well. You see that large building that stretches far, that is where you'll live. That tall building with the glass dome on the left beside the wall, that is where you shall be educated by the same wizard that you met at the castle steps upon your entry here.'

'Educated about what?' Daarion asked without hesitation, for this was a whole new world full of curiosity which suddenly unfolded before him. There had always been so much he wanted to know, the thoughts of adventure already burning within him.

'Those carvings on the wall you saw, the history of our land-what it means to be a Valkan, and the preservation of peace,' the paladin took a breath. 'And in the later stages when you're older, you'll learn about creatures, battle strategies and war. And let's not forget about the dull elvish and dwarvish culture.'

'What if someone is unable to read or write?' Daarion inquired as he nervously began picking at his fingers.

The paladin's eyes softened before he answered. 'There shall be extra lessons for you then, you'll also be provided with texts that will aid you.'

Daarion gave a small smile, a little bit more confidence stoking within.

'Enough of that abominable building,' continued the paladin. 'That open area with the pillars and white sand that overlooks the ocean, that is where you'll train and where your true mettle shall be tested. You'll gain many scars and bruises but, with years of training under a Valkan, you'll be forged into an unstoppable warrior.'

'A Valkan will train us?' Daarion asked, still in awe.

'Aye. He's a tough man, fought many battles, killed many creatures, but his true calling turned out to be training others to be even greater than himself.'

Daarion already imagined himself training under the sun, with the ocean breeze blowing through his hair.

'Furthermore,' the paladin pointed to the back of the campus, 'there is quite the large forge at the far back, beside the back wall. That is where you'll learn how to forge your own armour and weapons. Careful not to get on the wrong side of the dwarvish bastard who will be teaching you, he's got quite the temper on him that one.'

The paladin rested his hands on his hips. Daarion studied the campus.

'Why the large walls?' asked Daarion.

'To protect all of the inside of course. It is also a part of the castle after all. Any other questions?'

Daarion turned and faced the castle towers, curious as to what the inside must look like. 'Are we allowed to enter the castle?'

'Only the first hall where we came from,' the paladin put his hand on Daarion's shoulder and smiled. 'But should you venture onward, be wary to not get caught. Now come, let me show you to your living quarters.'

They walked on a grey stone pathway leading to the hostel. Flowers of many sorts were blooming in bright colours on either side of the pathway. Daarion brushed his hand softly over the flowers, admiring their beauty. He took a deep breath, inhaling the pungent aroma, noticing he felt all the calmer. Further on the path, they reached a door which creaked loudly of old age as the paladin pushed it open. They entered a broad hallway, lit with even more torches. Perfectly aligned on the right as they were on the left, their fire reflected brightly off the stone walls, illuminating the hall as far as the eye could see. Many doors were visible here which all led to different rooms on each side of the great hallway. The hostel was quiet, save for the light chatters that could faintly be heard from the dimly lit rooms where some of the doors were left slightly ajar. Daarion glimpsed into a room with two children throwing a ball that looked quite worn out with age, yet they seemed to be having fun, nonetheless. In the next room, a child was lying on a bed intently studying a thick leather book with worn-outt pages. Proof that the words held within were soaked up by many eyes over many years before. The other child slept with his head dangling from his bed, clearly exhausted by some activity or another.

'This will be your room,' the paladin stood at the door, spreading his arm out to the left, leading an immensely nervous Daarion inside.

None other than Erwan Reid jumped from a chair, a look of excitement on his face.

'Erwan,' said the paladin in a stern voice, clearly practiced over many years of the same routine. 'This will be your room companion. You both should start getting properly acquainted, it'll be weeks before the other rooms are filled, and I expect no squabbles.'

'Don't you worry, fine paladin,' said the light golden-headed boy cheerfully-a little mischief in his smile. 'We'll be quick friends.'

The paladin stared at Erwan, releasing a sigh. 'One of the servants should be making their way here momentarily to introduce herself. I'm off, best of luck to the both of you.'

The paladin bowed, as is customary in the mannerisms for all paladins, and then he made his way back to his post at the castle doors.

'I hope you don't mind,' said Erwan once the paladin was gone, 'I already picked this bed near the door.'

Daarion examined the room, there were two beds against both walls, cozy looking and clean, unlike the sleeping arrangements he was used to at Meekos' barn-straw had a sneaky way of sticking into unwelcome places no human would be comfortable with. Nuzzled between the beds a small but workable fireplace caught Daarion's eye, and right next to it slightly covered by a curtain stood a small but sturdy wooden bath.

'This bed is perfect,' Daarion grinned with absolute glee and pushed his hands down onto the soft bed, which felt just as comfortable as it looked. Daarion plopped himself onto the bed, closed his eyes, and grabbed a soft feathered pillow, pushing his head against it. A relieved sigh escaped his lips. This was home now, and Daarion couldn't help but think about Rina, feeling thankful for the kind woman. And also hoping she returned home with not too much trouble.

'Tired hey?' Erwan lounged on his own bed. Daarion, still lost in his own thoughts simply nodded with a wide smile that revealed the dimples on his cheeks 'This is quite exciting, isn't it? To think, we might become some of the best warriors in the whole entire kingdom. Maybe even the whole world!'

Before Daarion could answer, a knock came from the door, and a small elderly lady entered. Her hair was long, mostly grey, and her face was covered in wrinkles, but her expression held a look of kindness.

'Welcome dear children, she said in a gentle voice as she placed her hands formally together, 'I am one of the servants that reside here. Feel free to call me Senna. If there is anything you boys need, be sure to call on me.'

Daarion felt instantly at ease by the warmth that came from her, and so asking his next question had him feeling much less nervous.

'There is one thing,' said Daarion pushing himself up from the bed. 'The paladin said there would be texts provided to us if we can't read or write. Is there any chance that you might provide it for me?'

'My dear child,' Senna said with a smile tinged with comfort, yet had clarity of humour. 'If I do provide it for you, how would you learn from it if you yourself cannot read?'

'Oh yes,' Daarion threw his face back onto the pillow.

'I will teach him!' the halls echoed with Erwan's proud declaration. 'I'm no poet, nor an expert with words, but I do know the fundamentals that comes to reading and writing, in fact I need to have something to keep myself busy while the rooms fill up. Daarion might be quite the novice when our first educational lessons make its way.'

'Very well. You boys just be sure to let me know if there is anything else. I will come by again once dinner is ready to escort you to the hall' With that settled, Senna grabbed her dress at the sides and gave a curtly bow before turning on her heel to leave.

'Why would you help me?' Daarion asked while hugging his pillow to his chest. He was not used to kindness from strangers. Except for lady Rina, but she was no stranger to Daarion.

'Like I said,' Erwan leaned against his bed. 'I need something to keep myself busy, but also, isn't it what a Valkan is supposed to do? To help one another and whoever they can?'

Daarion stood up, straightened himself and stretched out his hand. The two boys shook hands, both grinning ear to ear. But little did they know at that moment, and in that small room, that a bond of friendship was born.

Two months passed since Daarion arrived at his new home. Daarion was given three sets of clothing by Senna, one was comfortable, which they would wear for normal off days and educational days. The other was sturdy clothes that wouldn't get easily burnt or damaged. The last set of clothing was a black and white formal set, which they would only wear for special occasions.

'I think that's enough teaching for today,' Erwan pounded a large old book close.

Daarion stood up from his bed. He put the feathered pen into a quill that was placed on the chair he's been working on. He neatly placed all the papers atop one another on the chair. Many untidy words and sentences were written on the pages, as if a young child scribbled on it.

'I think I will be taking a quick nap,' Erwan yawned heavily. 'How I miss this quiet hall with empty rooms. I would say it's about half full, wouldn't you?'

'Hmm,' Daarion stretched himself, 'I'd say it's a bit more than half, but I think I'll have some fresh air.'

Daarion opened the door to a hall filled with chatter and laughter.

'Hey, Daarion,' Lyra, the energetic honey-blonde girl across the hallway called over, 'how're the teachings going?'

'Well, I can form sentences better,' Daarion stood in the doorway. 'But my handwriting still looks horrid.'

'You shouldn't be overworking yourself,' said Yara, a short girl with chestnut locks and dark eyes as she scanned over a book about creatures of the land.

'I think that's the main reason Erwan halted the lesson for today,' Daarion pulled away his wavy black hair from his eyes, saying under his breath. 'The nap may just be an excuse.'

'Either way,' Lyra spoke fast, 'all you two do all day is rot in that room and learn and teach.'

'Don't you two fuss over us,' Daarion bared his teeth, grinning. 'We're having the remainder of the day off.'

'Good,' Yara didn't pull her eyes from her book. 'You wouldn't want to be tired from those late nights when our classes commence.'

'Yes, oh wise ones,' Daarion gave a very formal bow.

'Oh, just go,' Lyra flicked her hand at Daarion.

'As you wish,' Daarion smiled as he pulled himself away from the girls' room.

The past two months in his new-found home had inspired an unusual confidence in Daarion. Meeting so many new faces and learning the skills of reading and writing allowed him to grow and flourish more than he had in years. The boy felt at home, a home that he's longed for.

Daarion strolled out of the dorms into the grand courtyard in the centre of the campus. The calming sounds of the dense waves breaking at the bottom of the cliff permeated the air, it mixed with the sweet scent of flowers blooming along the sidewalk. It was a peaceful afternoon and Daarion decided to take a closer look at the training arena. He couldn't wait for the day that he'd be able to learn how to fight.

The arena resembled a massive colosseum made with large white pillars standing twenty feet apart. It was filled with stark white sand that shone brightly under the midday sun. Daarion removed his new shoes and dug his feet deep into the sand, searching for the cool sensation that lay just below the hot surface. Leaning against one of the pillars, his eyes took in the ocean view. The white sand contrasted beautifully with the cerulean waters and the painted sky. There were large ships with drawn sails that rested in the port and smaller fishing boats dotted the horizon.

He drew his attention to the castle towers on his right. He hardly ever saw a person on a tower balcony while he took strolls, thinking that other matters are more important than a fine view. He took a long breath, dusted off his feet and pulled his shoes back on.

Laughter and chatters dampened as he neared the castle doorway. The door creaked open, echoing in the silent hallway. Daarion walked slowly, rubbing his hands on the carvings on the wall. He stared intently at the dragons fighting alongside the elves, dwarves and humans. As he wandered, a large carving caught his eye, a carving of four dragons in a battlwithen a larger, horrific fire breathing dragon. His thoughts raced, thinking up stories for this very battle.

A door slammed open. A white dress. A young girl, raven hair, the eyes of the sky. She halted at the sight of Daarion.

Daarion couldn't move, he was transfixed at the sight of her.

She grabbed her white dress at both sides, skipping her way towards the boy.

'You've come to see the dragons as well?' she asked soft and blissfully.

Daarion stood unmoved, unable to conjure up a sentence.

'Did you hear me?' the softness faded.

'Yes,' his voice broke. 'Yes, I've come to see the dragons.'

'They're beautiful, aren't they?'

'They are.'

'Someday I will meet one of them,' the softness in her voice returned. 'Are you one of the children from the campus? One that might become a Valkan?'

'I am.'

'How exciting. Oh, how I wish I could become one. But the law says I can't.'

'You have elvish or dwarvish blood?'

'No,' she said and placed her hand on the cold carvings. 'You see this dragon, do you know who this is?'

'No,' he answered.

'This is Zûl. The most feared and vile dragons of all. And these four here, do you know them?'

He shook his head, impressed by her knowledge.

'They are the four divine dragons,' she spoke proudly, 'the ones who created the world. Zûl was a divine dragon, but he desired power above all, and he fell-not only in battle, also in name.'

Daarion leered at the carving of the horrific dragon. 'You know quite a lot about the dragons.'

'I adore them,' she squeaked. 'They are the most magical, beautiful beings.'

A door slammed open. Loud voices. A man with ravishing armour, grey hair, a full beard, and a sword at his side burdened with lavishing gems came marching. Two guards accompanied him; they were both knights.

'Tessriel!' the man with the beard sauntered fiercely. 'The whole castle is in search of you, young lady.'

'I'm fine, Azil,' Tessriel scoffed.

'Has this boy been bothering you?' Azil growled with fury.

'No,' her calm voice became loud and stern. 'He's only been company to me.'

Azil purred with narrow eyes.

'Very well,' Azil stepped aside, making way for Tessriel.

Tessriel turned to Daarion. 'May I have your name?'

'Daarion, my name is Daarion.'

'Daarion,' she pinched her dress at both sides and bowed like a lady. 'I had a pleasant short time with you here, Daarion.'

Daarion replied with his own awkward bow, demonstrating his lack of class.

She turned and made her way back.

'Now young girl, your mother has told you many times not to run off like this,' Azil implored Tessriel.

Daarion stood for a moment.He thought of her, the name of the girl. He would never forget her or her name.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

14 0 4
From different walks of life, four young women have always dealt with the burdens of their circumstances, believing their misery to be a sentence the...
147K 15.6K 77
In a politically volatile kingdom, Noah is tasked with finding the catalyst, a magical artifact rumored to greatly enhance the potential of the wield...
12.3K 630 9
Magic is a powerful yet fleeting thing. Those blessed with its presence are given a choice: to do good for their fellow man or to be corrupted. Tobia...
1.3K 65 23
Young Nomas always knew he was different. With ears and a tail making him an outcast from birth, there is little doubt that he isn't quite human. Loc...