COTE: What If - Alternative

By c0mplex_

1. What if Ayanokoji was placed in Class A? (15k words) 2. A different chess match with Sakayanagi and a chec... More

Average Student vs Class A (1/?)
Average Student vs Class A (3/?)
Average student vs Class A(4/?) Trial (1/2)
Average student vs Class A(5/?) Trial (2/2)
Kushida was expelled and Tsukishiro never interfered in chess
Ryueen changed leaders

Average student vs Class A (2/?)

1.4K 66 26
By c0mplex_

"G̶o̶o̶d̶ m̶o̶r̶n̶i̶n̶g̶, Y̶a̶m̶a̶u̶c̶h̶i̶!̶" 
"G̶o̶o̶d̶ m̶o̶r̶n̶i̶n̶g̶, I̶k̶e̶!̶"
Oops, wrong class.

The day of the introductions, the class had divided itself into two factions: one headed by Sakayanagi and one by Katsuragi. While I was loosely affiliated with Sakayanagi, I haven't formally joined any faction. And Sakay - Arisu, as she always reminded me - never asked.

Katsuragi tried, though. Multiple times. 

His own faction had 23 out of 40 students, which was rather impressive considering he hadn't yet shown anything except his charisma, while Sakayanagi's faction had investigated the S-system thoroughly and presented us with many likely-to-be-true theories. 

However, I was totally fine on the sidelines. Participating in class activities was an obligation, but fighting between factions? Pass.

The mention of a class hierarchy and the likelihood of every other class vying for our position made it clear that we mostly should not expect great inter-class relations. I was glad, because I didn't feel up to the task of approaching strangers from other classes. My social skills were simply not good enough; I really couldn't keep a conversation going.

Hashimoto could probably introduce me to all the potentially important figures in our year, but I was fine with whatever relations I had built here. I didn't want to be too associated with him, either. It was likely he'd report back everything to his princess.

Now, for the first time since that day, our class felt united once more.

"This pool is insane!"

"Apparently it's temperature regulated."

"I'm so glad I came to this school!"

This changed atmosphere was cheerful and infectious, in total contrast to the internal cold war of the last few days. Even I was starting to feel the slightest bit excited.

As we headed to the changing rooms, I caught some whispers about seeing Nishikawa Ryouko in a swimsuit. I couldn't exactly fault them, part of me was looking forward to it too. A wave in my peripheral vision caught my eye. I looked to see Sak - Arisu in the gallery sitting next to Kamuro, who was her... I didn't know how to describe her.

Bodyguard? Personal assistant? Slave? Whenever I ask her, she just says, "Masumi-san is my second dearest friend. After you, of course, fufu."

She had basically become a replacement for her limbs after we saw her shoplift a can of beer from the convenience store on our way there. It was impressive how quickly she adapted to the phone's recording system. She recorded another scuffle later between a red haired boy and three seniors and sent it to me 'just in case'.

I felt bad because the boy had been extorted rather harshly after having, in his own words, run to the dorms and back to the store, just to be provoked into violence in front of a camera. 

However, I didn't feel like searching through the all 2nd and 3rd years to find the culprits, nor did I want to submit this to school and risk getting targeted by their leader, if they had one.

The first day had already drawn too much attention to me. I really didn't want any more.

I shook my head, waved back to Arisu and proceeded inside. My eyes widened slightly when I saw them just take off their shirts like it was par for the course.

Satonaka, our resident ikemen with visible muscles in a swimmer's build, winked when he noticed me observing his body. "Don't worry 'bout it, dude. You were probably studying quantum physics while us toddlers were playing around in the pool."

I heard quite a few people snickering. I really didn't mind. The reputation of an exceptional student, even in a class as academically cutthroat as ours, gave me a lot of leeway in terms of behaviour. While being in a class full of honor students made sure I didn't stand out too much.

I was confident that if anyone else looked out of the window half as much as I did, they'd get shouted at by most of the class.

"Nah, I'm not worried about that" I shrugged. "Don't you feel weird about..?"

Katsuragi shook his head "Don't think about it. Just follow the crowd if you don't want to stand out. I've heard this is common in sports teams." A few people affirmed his statement, so I nodded and began taking off my shirt, while the boys crowded around the muscular ones.

"How many private points to make you muscleheads wear a rash guard from now on?"

"Holyyy, what's your training regimen?"

"I'm just built different."

"What the fu-" Suddenly, all eyes followed Satonaka's finger to where he was pointing.

Me. Oh great.

"No way, what on Earth.."

"I didn't know you could go above 6 packs..!"

"I'll eat my tie if that isn't the work of steroids!"

"So this is why the princess was so obsessed with you, hmm?" Hashimoto smirked widely, but even his expression had been gobsmacked just seconds ago.

"I just have good genetics. And I-" They didn't let me finish.

"Ahh, understandable... As if!"

"Do you really expect that to fly?"

"So good at academics AND physical ability? Someone hit the lucky draw." No, I really didn't.

"So, how many private points to make you muscleheads wear a rash guard from now on?" Zero. Trust me, zero.

Katsuragi cleared his throat. "His physique is certainly impressive, but considering his introverted nature it's probably not a pleasant feeling for him. Please don't bombard him." Was this genuine or was he just trying to get me to join him? I appreciated it either way.

I'd just lose the attention by coming in middl-

"Well, cancel the betting, I guess. First place is already taken." No, no. I've never gone swimming in my life. You'd easily beat me.

"Yeah, second place too. By me."

"You mean, me?"

"Heh, let's just bet for second now. Adapt, improvise, overcome."

"Guys, I'm not really good at-" My classmates really had it out for me today. I couldn't even finish a sentence.

"Just shut dude, it's not even a contest."

"Let me guess, Darwin-kun, you're gonna come first place and say your swimming technique was also genetic."

"Unless... you really did take steroids." Yahiko narrowed his eyes at me. Turning down his leader repeatedly must have soured his impression of me.

"Nope, nope. Genetics and slight exercise." Being known as a steroid user would be extremely detrimental to my reputation. I'd rather be liked than hated, at least.

"Slight? Yeah, and your performance on the entrance was just average, am I right?" This was bad. My cover was being blown far too quick. I really had no way to explain them plausibly.

Luckily, at that moment, the swimming instructor barged in. His face was a mix of annoyance and puzzlement.

"What are you all chattering about? This is the first time the girls of a class have come out before the boys!"

"Ah, sorry, sorry. We were just coming out." Machida bowed and began walking out with his clique. He was one of Katsuragi's closest confidants and was one of the few in class with knowledge of martial arts.

The swimming instructor didn't move though. He noticed everyone's gazes, then noticed me and seemed to come to a conclusion. "I see. Well, I expect a great performance from you. Not exactly a swimmer's build, but those muscles are still perfect." He turned around and began walking out.

On the way, I got a lot of slaps on my back. Was this bullying? I was half-considering reporting them but they'd likely receive a deduction in private points and then blame me. That, and I had already drawn too much attention. Way, way too much attention.

When the girls began staring at me, I immediately knew that my peaceful life was now unsalvageable.

"Did you tell them you were taught swimming by professional instructors, Ayanokouji-kun?" I glared at the giggling Ari - Sakayanagi. Right, Sakayanagi.

"Didn't he say he was a novice at it?"

"No, I swear he said he didn't know how to swim?"

"Ayanokouji's the kind of guy who pretends he doesn't study and then aces the exam." But I really don't...

I could only sigh. I wondered how she'd react if I brought her to the special annex, stole her cane and precious beret, and just ran away.

If she could pull stunts on me, well, turnabout is fair play.

_____________

Click. Our swimming teacher stared at the stopwatch for a full second in shock.

"Ayanokouji Kiyotaka, 21.76 seconds!"

Louds cheers from every direction. Wait, are they lifting me into the air? And was that Kamuro lifting my leg? "Fufufufu" I could faintly hear a little girl laughing maniacally. Katsuragi was staring at me in shock. Contrary to his physical appearance, he wasn't actually good at sports.

Haah. I sighed yet again. I was sighing way too much these days.

At least the 5000 private points were decent compensation?

________________

A/N: I'm actually having fun writing this

Next chapter may take longer. I'm bored of the usual Sudo trial but I don't wanna jump straight into the island exam. Midterms would be boring too, because Class A is the bastion of nerds. I'll try putting a creative spin on the trial.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

81.9K 3.8K 42
[ 𝐏𝐚𝐫𝐭 𝐈𝐈 𝐨𝐟 𝐭𝐡𝐞 𝐬𝐞𝐫𝐢𝐞𝐬 '𝐀𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐋𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐌𝐞' ] ‼ 𝐏𝐥𝐞𝐚𝐬𝐞 𝐫𝐞𝐚𝐝 '𝐀𝐧𝐨𝐭𝐡𝐞𝐫 𝐋𝐢𝐤𝐞 𝐌𝐞 (𝐂𝐨𝐓𝐄 𝐱 𝐎𝐂)...
12.2K 588 26
THERE ARE MORE BOOKS, BOTH BEFORE AND AFTER THIS VOLUME. READ VOLUME 1 FIRST AND THEN ADVANCE I'm bad at descriptions. The beginning has only started...
75.1K 3.1K 145
This story is my own take on COTE year 2. Some volumes will remain similar to the original, while others will be completely different. Some events fr...
9.8K 456 40
READ VOLUME 1 TO VOLUME 4.5! SORRY, THAT IT's SEPERATED INTO DIFFERENT BOOKS! Ryuen has begun starting his attacks against Class C- slowly but surely...