CANAISIS ∞ Chronicle One ∞ 2:...

By -NikaRave-

Book 2 of CANAISIS ∞ The Last Living Ship trilogy (Chronicles of Canaisis 1) Can a ship, born to sail the oce... More

Chronicle 2 ∞ A Captain's Journey
45 ∞ The Promise
46 ∞ From Rage to Mission
47 ∞ Dreaming Memories
48 ∞ The Crisis Point
49 ∞ Touched By Lightning
50 ∞ Awake But Not Awake
51 ∞ All For Nothing
52 ∞ Double Reboot
53 ∞ Slag and Holes
54 ∞ The Two Hundred
55 ∞ A Decision To Make
56 ∞ The Cart Ride
57 ∞ A Specific Mindset
58 ∞ An Unusual Artist
59 ∞ For the Sake of a Little Girl
60 ∞ The Leaving
61 ∞ The Response
62 ∞ A Breakthrough
63 ∞ Stuck in His Ways
64 ∞ The Hazard of Polygamy
65 ∞ Thermal Anomaly
66 ∞ The Welcome Back
67 ∞ Raw Wound
68 ∞ Flashes of Knowledge
69 ∞ Possible Mutiny
70 ∞ To Piggyback a Pulsar
71 ∞ Wind and Water
72 ∞ Feeling of Thunder
73 ∞ Her Mission
74 ∞ The Empty Apartment
75 ∞ Recalled for a Call
76 ∞ A Bargain Struck
77 ∞ Looking Up
78 ∞ Security Breach
79 ∞ The Intercept
Dear Reader (2)
80 ∞ Overstepping Bounds
81 ∞ The Promise Made
82 ∞ So Little Time
83 ∞ A Standing Still in Time
84 ∞ A Crazy All of Its Own
85 ∞ The Temple of the Goddess
86 ∞ Into the Lair
87 ∞ Under Fire
88 ∞ From Fire to Black Hole
90 ∞ Three Years
91 ∞ Home Stage
92 ∞ Illegal Request
93 ∞ Final Exchanges
94 ∞ Goodbyes and Introductions
95 ∞ Captain's Duty
96 ∞ The Progenitor
Chronicle Three ∞ A Shard Of Code

89 ∞ Going Through the Motions

162 22 12
By -NikaRave-

Shortlisted Week 11 and Day 00010 Mission Nilex 

Gareth gazed out the window of a slow commuter shuttle back to the station. The seven silver pearls had just risen over Earth's horizon, yet he felt nothing. Harlin shifted in the seat next to him to get a better view out the window, but his safety harness prevented him from leaning forward too much. Rules were rules when in zero-G.

Harlin didn't speak. He just stayed with Gareth, a constant presence. Gareth didn't have any feelings about the matter one way or the other. In fact, he'd been indifferent to everything over the past month. He just went through the motions expected of him. It was what he did since being revived.

After the doctor stabilized his crisis, she'd insisted on keeping him for weeks. For observation, he was told. During that period, she'd run one test after another until he was exhausted at the end of each day.

To Gareth, it seemed Dr. Travaine's intense examinations of him had bordered on obsessive. In addition to the medical exams, the psychology experts also took their share of his time. Council sessions, psychology tests, therapy sessions, and then more tests.

Harlin had stayed by him, patiently pushing his wheelchair and waiting in hallways during doctor's exams. Or participating in the physical endurance tests, until Gareth began exceeding normal Human parameters and Harlin could no longer keep up.

Harlin explained his constant presence was to help Maat in evaluations. But that didn't justify the meals. He was always there, sharing breakfast, lunch, and evening meals, going out of his way to be helpful, but always silent. Gareth went through the motions required of him, indifferent to Harlin's presence, but aware of him. Harlin never acknowledged his emotional detachment, nor seemed to let it bother him. He was just there, never expressing judgment.

It was during one of those nights of sharing their evening meal in the hospital room that Harlin broke into their silence. Gareth was sitting up in the hospital bed, a swing tray with plates of food before him, while Harlin sat in the chair beside the bed, eating from a folding table. Harlin had finished his meal and not moved for several moments. Then he turned to face Gareth.

"Gareth, I know you don't want to talk, but I need you to know something."

Putting down a fork of tasteless food, Gareth turned to give Harlin his attention without a word.

"Gareth..." Harlin started, before starting again, "Gareth, I watched you die... I watched you die as the doctors did everything they could. Even cardio shock and adrenaline didn't bring you back. They had sensors all over your body, and a tech kept saying he couldn't access your Nanos' program. Dr. Travaine, she kept yelling for data readings and demanding he try different program modes as she kept compressing your chest.

"You were turning white and your lips blue, Gareth. Dr. Travaine was getting ready to cut your chest open to massage your heart, but another doctor argued it was over. He wanted her to stop and declare time of death. She ignored him and kept prepping your chest, arguing as she did so. But it was clear to me, everybody else in the room agreed with the other doctor." Harlin swallowed.

"It was horrible to stand there and be able to do nothing, thinking I was responsible. But, Gareth, I didn't know any other way to tell you than to just spit it out.

"But then... I heard a beep. I couldn't believe my ears, Gareth, because I swear you were gone. Then the heart monitor beeped again. One slow beat after another, it beeped... until it became the steady rhythm of your heartbeat. Seeing your chest rise with that first breath... your color returning... I can't describe what a relief that was. For me, for everyone there, really. We all took a deep breath ourselves. But it wasn't until later, when Mayfine sent for me in a panic, that I understood what that miracle meant."

He'd hesitantly informed Gareth of the Living Ships' intervention. That a data burst had cut through all the military safeguards and firewalls, penetrating the station's systems. Heading straight to the Medical Division, it dominated control of every system in the entire wing. Before the staff or techs even had a chance to panic, Gareth's Nanomed program had been rewritten.

The data burst had come and gone in less than a second, but incidental side effects were still causing trouble. One was the military generals and the project programmers who still couldn't get a good night's sleep. The ease of the 'attack' had them frightened to the point of panic, and the world A.I.'s were called in to audit every system on the station for threats.

Another was that patients in the Medical Wing found themselves healing extremely well due to changes in the treatment regime or Nanomed programming. The Medical Division was still finding such changes and cataloging them with great excitement.

"That data burst emanated from the Living Ships as a group. But I know who it really came from. It came from Canaisis, Gareth. Of that I have no doubt."

Harlin reminded Gareth that he'd himself reached out and completed the Hierarchy bonding with Canaisis, that he was her Captain now. It was apparent his life mattered to Canaisis, and Harlin pleaded with him to not turn away from that.

Gareth had thought about it, remembering the silent, aching void in his chest, and grudgingly accepted the fact that he owed his life to a ship named Canaisis. Something inside him had heard and acknowledged the life debt, even as he resented it. But Harlin's words were also in accord with a desire Gareth hadn't known he had.

He remembered that moment with crystal clarity, regarding Harlin with his face blank of any emotion. But inside, there'd been furious shiftings of the dynamics of his mind. He'd examined each data point as if it were a puzzle, examining every angle, then put it all together to ponder the completed puzzle as a whole. Like a math equation with a solution, he found a new insight. It would require him to take on a duty, just one more time. Assuming Captaincy was solely a price he had to pay.

The look on Harlin's face as he turned away would be etched in Gareth's mind forever. Harlin hadn't been able to keep his discouragement hidden. His eyes spoke of disappointment, believing his words had fallen on deaf ears. Although the words didn't have the effect Harlin hoped for, they had been heard.

Harlin ignited a purpose in Gareth. He would have been pleased with that, even if it wasn't the purpose he'd intended. But all Gareth could do was watch Harlin turn away. Gareth couldn't move, couldn't offer any words, or even acknowledge comfort from Harlin's effort. After several moments, he'd simply resumed eating his meal. Without a word, Harlin got up to take his own dishes out of the room.

The emptiness of the room sank into Gareth, and he paused as an intuitive thought came to him. He looked up at the optic sensor over the door and regarded it for a few moments.

"Canaisis." He didn't know what channels the A.I. was using to keep an eye on him other than on his health, but he was pretty certain the message would reach her even if Maat had to relay it. "I accept."

Ever since then, he'd been going through the motions everyone expected of him, of appearing normal. They had to believe he was able to assume his duties, for they stood between him and Canaisis. Between him and his desire to leave Earth and all that it ever meant to him behind.

A layer of glass separated him from the world. He feared feeling anything. Feared his emotions would shatter the glass. He often felt like he was looking out at the world from another dimension. The world he saw seemed alien in some subtle, unseen way. The visit from Mr. Mayfine was when Gareth came to be thankful for its protection. Mayfine offered his condolences, his regrets at how things had turned out.

"Son, I know there's nothing I can say or do to make anything better." He'd spoken softly. "But I am going to do this. I had a talk with the medical examiner. Your wife's cause of death is from complications caused by the onset of Ahron's disease. And... that's all anyone is ever going to know or say. You have my word on it."

Gareth heard the words, but they hadn't touched him. He was safe in his dimension. The sympathy and compassion in Mayfine's words would have shattered him if they had.

More days passed before the doctor was satisfied with her tests and released him. Mayfine immediately arranged for Gareth's return to Earth, and Harlin stayed by his side like a constant shadow.

On planet-side, Gareth refused to go home to his apartment, instead taking a hotel. Harlin arranged for an exclusive one with tight security, since Gareth's survival and his wife's death were global news. He was officially the first Captain ever to be assigned to a Living Ship, and a widower.

One quiet night, Harlin told him that the donation funds had raised enough to keep Caitlin frozen for eighty years, even if Gareth hadn't survived the ENS integration. Gareth looked up from reviewing the funeral contracts and spooning tasteless food into his mouth to process Harlin's words.

"Buy the mausoleum and as much grounds around it as you can. If anything is left over, donate it towards Caitlin's research foundation."

It was one of the few times he'd spoken to Harlin. Then he resumed reading the contracts as he ate.

Days later, under a bright and clear sky, Gareth found himself distantly amazed at the crowds that came out for the funeral. He hadn't expected his situation would cause such a spectacle. But then, he hadn't really listened to Harlin as he laid out the planning of the event.

Barricades had been set up to keep the roads clear of the people lining the sidewalks. As the funeral procession made its way to the cemetery, Gareth read the signs people held—words of condolences, compassion, encouragement, support. But nothing touched him across the barrier to his dimension—he was safe from feeling.

Inside the cemetery, only crowded news people, government officials, dignitaries, and representatives of the project team and The Two Hundred greeted them, respectfully distant and hushed. Harlin stayed a step behind him as they walked down the path toward the mausoleum.

Gareth registered the shafts of light slanting through the trees to strike the green grass. They shifted and moved with the occasional gust of wind from the nearby lake.

Something crunched underfoot when Gareth passed under a tree. He halted and took a step back to look down, urn clutched in one arm. Acorns lay scattered on the ground, seven of them. Without thinking, he'd stooped to pocket them, including the one he'd stepped on, with its broken cap, before standing up. No one acted as if anything was out of the ordinary, though they had to wonder as he continued walking.

After Caitlin's internment, he'd been expected to make a speech at a podium outside. Not considering himself a speechwriter, he'd thought it had been acceptable. He told them of his wish to have these burial grounds dedicated to spacefarers and their families. So that they could rest on Earth after striving for the stars for Mankind.

He described his dream of growing old with Caitlin on another world, then promised to find such worlds for others so they could carry on his dream. The press transmitted his words across the globe.

Outside the cemetery, he'd heard the crowds clapping in the distance. It should have meant something to him. At one time, it would have. But he felt nothing—he was doing what was expected of him. He just wanted to set sail, to leave this world behind. He would continue to go through whatever motions he had to, to achieve his desire and goal.

After several days of settling his affairs, Harlin had asked about his belongings at the apartment.

"Send someone to box everything up," he'd answered. "Send them to a long-term storage unit, and put the apartment up for sale."

Harlin's face pinched, as if feeling pain at Gareth's pronouncement, then he nodded. "I'll see to it."

Many hours later, Harlin returned to the hotel, and that was when Gareth realized he had left. Intuitively, Gareth knew Harlin had gone to the apartment personally to do the packing. Gareth could tell by the look in Harlin's eyes that he knew what Gareth was thinking. Still, no emotion came, so Gareth only acknowledged Harlin with a nod.

Dr. Travaine continued keeping a close watch over Gareth through the sensors on his nape, so his orders were to take as gentle a return flight as possible. Harlin had made the arrangements, and here they were, watching seven pearls shining in the pure sunlight of space.

Gareth broke away from the sight and caught his computer pad leaving his lap. The strap around his wrist kept it from floating away. He wasn't quite following the rules about loose objects in zero-G, but being an LS captain did have its privileges. He had studying to do, and he had no idea of what to expect from the next three years of training. But learning about the basic Living Ship's design couldn't hurt. In his opinion, knowing your ship inside out was a requirement to be a good captain.

He was startled out of his thoughts by Harlin's hand patting his arm. Gareth glanced at Harlin but neither said anything. Then they both returned to their thoughts in silence.

Gareth was three years away from leaving this solar system, and nothing was going to stand in his way. He would go through whatever motions it took. There was nothing left here for him—no past, no future. He longed to sail in the black between the stars, for in cold sleep, time stopped and thoughts froze.

Lina sat on the edge of the pool with her feet immersed in the warm water. Her back was getting a little stiff from leaning over, but she ignored it. Although Ayla seemed to be secure on the contoured ledge bench under the water, there was no way Lina was going to chance her sister's head slipping underwater. She kept one hand under Ayla's neck and stroked her cheek with her thumb.

Ayla was deep in her Journey, Lina could feel. The distant sadness inside her broke Lina's heart. Lina tried to comfort her as much as she could and sensed Ayla's recognition.

A rustling in the trees and brush behind her sounded just as Lina felt Ahmid's presence. She turned her head to look, waiting for him to appear. He stepped out onto the grass moments later and stopped in mid-step, taking in the waterfalls before noticing Lina at the pool.

Lina couldn't resist as he hurried to her. "You should see your face. Does your jaw hurt after hanging open like that?"

Ahmid knelt down beside them and looked Ayla over, touching her submerged shoulder. Satisfied, he let go a huge sigh of relief and straightened up. "Enough with you, Lina. Tell me what happened."

Lina shrank back and reined in her mischievousness at his tone, recognizing he'd assumed his role of Leader, and could not be swayed to soften his position.

"Well, she wanted to come to the Garden, as you know. I came, and she seemed fine. We stayed well clear of the Oak tree. She wanted to come here."

"Why here?"

"The Captain granted her permission to swim."

"This is for swimming?" Incredulous, Ahmid looked around once again.

"Apparently. The ship even provided towels."

"It did?"

Lina held up a finger to her lips. "Hush, she'll hear you. She doesn't like being referred to as an inanimate object."

"Yes, I know that. I spoke out of turn." He looked up and spoke louder to the air, "My apologies, Canaisis."

They both waited for a response. None came.

Lina glanced out at the center of the pool, but nothing stirred out of the water to form an animated statue. Ahmid was watching her when she turned back, and her intuition told her to keep quiet about Canaisis' appearance. It was too hard to believe.

"As I was saying, we went swimming. The waterfalls are different temperatures, by the way," added Lina to distract Ahmid. His stare had been too intense, as if he suspected something. "And everything seemed fine except for one sharp moment when Ayla had me really worried. After that—"

"Sharp moment? What do you mean?"

"It's hard to describe... It felt like when she went into crisis, but it was gone in an instant. After that, she was okay, and we got out and dried ourselves off. Ayla asked some questions talking to Canaisis—that's what seemed to be the trigger."

"Talking how?"

"What do you mean, how?"

"Talking out loud or not? You know darn well what I mean."

"Oh, I see. Yes, she can talk to Canaisis in her head, but she didn't this time. We were talking out loud. Or rather, she was, and I was mostly listening."

"I see." Ahmid sighed. "And what was she discussing?"

"At first, it was about her ability to talk to Canaisis. But that led to the Nanos inside her. She asked how long she would live, only Canaisis wouldn't give her an answer. She told her to ask the Captain."

Ahmid let out a huff of frustration. "I'm very familiar with that answer. I had a long conversation with her when I looked after the Captain in his cabin. You cannot work around to get an answer, either. Canaisis is smarter than any computer system we have. Okay, what happened next?"

"It seemed to trigger something in her. To me, it felt like something was waiting for the opportunity. She started getting desperate, as if fighting it. It was like... It was like the Lost was calling her back. Then she used some kind of override command on Canaisis."

"She did what?" Ahmid blurted. He straightened himself erect on his knees. Lina could easily feel his anger simmering.

"It didn't work! Canaisis denied it! I can only assume Ayla pulled the knowledge from her Journey."

Ahmid ran his fingers through his hair. "No wonder the Captain was so angry and cold. I've got to smooth this over somehow."

"The Captain never mentioned it. I don't think he knows."

"Oh, he knows. What do you think brought him down here? I'm sure this ship would have informed him immediately, and it explains what he said to me."

Fear spiked in Lina. "What did he say?" she asked in a small voice.

"He said we're to enter cold sleep immediately. To get everything prepped sooner rather than later. Then he walked off after telling me where to find you two."

She drew a deep breath. "What about Ayla?"

"I don't know, Lina. But I'm not going to let her be the reason for earning that man's displeasure. We've sacrificed too much at this point, and I definitely don't want us to have to go back to the Citizens. We've got to fix this somehow."

They both looked down at Ayla's sleeping face.

"There's more you should know, Ahmid," stated Lina quietly.

Ahmid closed his eyes. "Oh Gaia, preserve me." Then he looked at Lina, waiting for her to continue.

"Ayla never got the chance to touch the Tree. The Captain tackled her before she could."

Ahmid's eyes flickered to Ayla in confusion. "Then... what? I don't understand."

"She called the Gift when she kissed the Captain."

Lina couldn't get the words out of her mouth fast enough, as if that would lessen the impact. But she would have laughed at Ahmid's reaction if the matter hadn't been so serious. His eyebrows shot up his forehead as his eyes widened into white circles.

"Gaia, preserve us all!"

≈ ∞ ≈

©2023 by kemorgan65 and RavenRock2112

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

2K 83 17
Transported hundreds of years in the future, Jasmine Sharpe must learn to live, and cope, in a world vastly different from the time she left. Aliens...
228K 9.6K 34
When an Alien ship came to anchor just outside Earth's atmosphere and contacted humans for the first time, the whole planet was in an uproar. People...
63.6K 1.4K 33
After years of ups and down, Ryan William is left all alone even though he's surround by a lot of people. Choosing his love over the girl everyone th...
61.4K 3.3K 34
After the Ship Masters arrive Violet seizes her chance to experience life beyond the Farm. She learns that a planet nestled in the stars is waiting f...