Showtime

By glowing_pheonix

Avni Mathur is a senior at East High, a third generation Indian and a Broadway star in the making. When her b... More

Cast
1. Auditions
2. Read- through
3. Wonderstudies
4. Blocking
5. Homecoming
6. What Team?
7. Thanksgiving
8. Tech Rehearsal
9. Opening Night
10.1. Act Two, Part 1
10.2. Act Two, Part 2
11. New Years' Eve
12. Typecasting
13.1. Valentine's Day, Part 1
13.2. Valentine's Day, Part 2
14. The Storm
15. The QuinceaƱero
16. Yes, And...
18.1. Most Likely To..., Part 1
18.2. Most Likely Too... Part 2
19. Spring Break
20.1. The Transformation, Part 1
20.2. The Transformation, Part 2
21.1. "Showtime", Part 1
21.2. "Showtime", Part 2
22. Second Chances
23. The Menkies
24.1. Camp Prom, Part 1
24.2. Camp Prom, Part 2
24.3. Camp Prom, Part 3
25. Let It Go
Continuation!

17. The Field Trip

111 4 0
By glowing_pheonix

[Avni: So, I found out that Ricky's incredible blow-up at Miss Jenn on Sunday was because of her dating his dad- I haven't talked to him about it. But he made it very clear that he doesn't want me pushing him to do something I think is right, so I'm just going to be supportive. Which is what I did with Gina, and it looks she's staying, so I guess it's paying off. Also, EJ and I became 'friends' which actually doesn't hurt as much as I thought it would- so maybe I am moving on? Or maybe I need to stop obsessing over what other people are doing and focus on what I can do instead.]

"Welcome to the East High Morning Show," Gina said dramatically. "I'm Gina Porter-"

"And I'm EJ Caswell. And we're co-hosting the first-ever East High Morning Show," EJ matched her tone. "Because I'm president of the AV club."

"I'm his only friend who agreed to do it." Avni laughed at that. She was.

"That's right. Back to you, Gina," EJ played it off.

"Thanks, EJ. Now, for our first-ever guest. You know her from The Rose Song that's been blowing up the East High Instagram." Oh, right.

"Oh, uh, quick reminder, tickets for Beauty and the Beast go on sale next week."

"Hmm, that's right, EJ. Now, please welcome Nini Salazar-Roberts."

"Hey, guys! Thanks for having me," Nini said.

"This just in... Nini's song has over 2500 views, making it the most viewed post in drama club Instagram history," he pretended he was wearing an ear-piece. Adora- no it's not.

"Are you serious?" Nini asked.

"Song writing skills, universal acclaim- Nini, how does it feel to be you right now?" Gina asked.

"Uh, feels good."

"So, what was the song writing process like for you?"

"Yeah, I was actually inspired by my-"

"Hey, is that Nini on the TV?" Big Red asked Ricky.

"Yeah, and she's killing it."

"Are you actually fine with the song not being a duet?" Big Red asked him.

"What else would I be? Hurt? Offended?"

"It seems that you're all those things," Avni noted.

"It's a show tune. It doesn't actually mean anything," Ricky shrugged it off.

"But it means so much to me," Nini said in the background.

"It's fine," Ricky said, but mostly to himself. "Besides, if Avni can be happy about EJ hosting the show with Gina, I can be happy for Nini."

Avni scoffed, "Gina's like the one person I'm not worried about. And I'm trying to get over EJ, so when he asked me, I said no, so it's fine."

"Everyone's in denial today," Big Red said.

"Shut up," Ricky and Avni said together.

♡♡♡♡♡

Avni ruffled through racks upon racks of expensive fabric, looking for a very specific piece of costume. They'd been looking for ages, with no success.

They were all currently in North High's costume room, with Gina as lookout. Why? Because those North High assholes stole their Beast mask.

Ugh.

"Okay, I need to sit down," Kourtney said from somewhere in the room. "These expensive costumes are bumming me out."

"You guys, my song has been viewed, like, 35,000 times now," Nini said.

Damn.

"I keep getting all these DMs saying I should start a separate account for my music," she said.

"Is that something you want to do?" Ricky asked in a fake- ass voice.

"I don't know. It seems scary, right?"

"I'm a little scared right now. Does that count?" he asked.

Avni finished the rack she was looking through, and then turned into the area where they were all standing around. Well, except for Kourtney, she was-

"Kourtney?" Avni said. "That box you're sitting on has beast fur sticking out of it."

Kourtney got up so quickly.

Everyone crowded around the box, hearts beating fast. Nini opened it hesitantly, to reveal- a bunch of wigs.

"I can't with this school's costume budget."

"So where's the Beast mask?"

"Hello, Wildcats," came an eerily familiar voice. "Bien venue."

Avni huffed, "Let me get Gina."

She walked out of the room and into the hallway to see Gina talking, with her back to the entrance she was supposed to watch, with EJ?

"We got caught," she called. Gina whipped around. "Ace job on the look-out guys."

♡♡♡♡♡

"It was nothing, I swear," Gina whispered to Avni as they warmed up in the theatre hall for a dance-off. "This guy was bothering me and EJ pretended to be my boyfriend to get him to back off. It was nothing."

"I know, Gina." Did I?

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

"So you're okay?"

"Ask me one more time and I won't be," Avni said. Gina mercifully backed off.

"Hey," an absolutely gorgeous guy walked up to Avni. Oh, shit.

"Uh- hi," she said. "You're the choreographer."

He smiled, "And you're Belle." Wow.

"Yeah," she breathed out.

He stared at her for a second too long, and then huffed. "I'm sorry. Lily," he pointed behind him. Lily was talking to Ricky. "Told me to come by and intimidate you. And she's really scary- so I didn't argue. But as you can see-" he leaned forward. "I'm terrible at this."

Avni chuckled, "I can see that. Do you want any tips?"

"Let's have it, then."

She quirked an eyebrow and put on her mean girl face- high chin, pursed lips, general disgust. She made a noise of protest- "Do you think I'm stupid?" She took a step forward, "I'm onto you- your second hand charm and innocent act aren't going to get under my skin. If you think that your little charade is going to get you a win, you're more delusional than your thirst traps," she ended with a quick once- over.

He faltered, but then recovered quickly, "Oh wow. You're worse than Lily."

Avni laughed, "That's 'cause I do it right."

"Okay, everyone," Lily called. "Warm-up is over, gather around. I will now press shuffle to choose the song."

"After which, I will prepare a dance remix of the song, since I, on occasion, DJ," The French kid said.

"Ah, of course he's a DJ," Big Red said salty-ly.

"Non, monsieur, I DJ, but I would not say I am a DJ."

"Thanks for the clarity," Big Red scoffed. What's happening there?

"Everyone ready?" Lily asked, as she pressed shuffle on her phone. "And it's...The Mob Song."

Avni groaned, and so did everyone else. Well, everyone but EJ.

"I knew you all didn't like The Mob Song," he pouted.

"It's not really a dancing song."

"It's fine, guys. We're East High," Gina said firmly. "We can make anything work."

"Yeah, we can."

♡♡♡♡♡

"Through the mist, through the woods, through the darkness and the shadows- It's a nightmare but it's one exciting ride..." Ricky sang, guitar in hand, circling North High's beast- who was wearing a mask. Why?

"Say a prayer, then we're there, at the drawbridge of a castle- and there's something truly terrible inside..." the beast sang.

They went back and forth for a while, until the beat dropped, and Avni stepped forward into the clearing to show off her moves- adrenaline coursing through her veins, letting her body move with the beats of the song- until Hrithik cut her off, taunting her with his seamless steps.

God, can this boy dance.

Everyone circled around them, pushing them together. He smells so good. Hrithik just grinned at her, and she rolled her eyes as she mounted the steps to slip into their group choreography.

"Light your torch, mount your horse, screw your courage to the sticking place- we're counting on Gaston to lead the way..."

They moved down the stage, and the North High kids took their place on the top of the stairs.

"It's a Beast! One as tall as a mountain- we won't rest till he's good and deceased..."

"Sally forth, tally ho, grab your sword, grab your bow, praise the Lord and here we go..." they harmonised as they climbed up the stairs to the top of their ridiculously grand stage.

"No one's safe until he's dead, he'll come stalking us at night," their Lumiere stalked down the stairs.

"Set to sacrifice our children to his monsters' appetite," Carlos sang.

They went back and forth again, until the song picked up again, and the North High and East High kids went face to face in identical choreographies- it all felt incredibly surreal.

"We don't like what we don't understand- in fact, it scares us, and this monster is mysterious at least. Bring your guns, bring your knives, save your children and your wives- we'll save our village and our lives..."

"We'll kill the Beast!"

The beat dropped again and the group circled up again for a face- to- face battle, this time Gina on the East High's side- and she slayed.

Hrithik winked at Avni from his place on his side of the battle. This time, Avni spared him a smirk- and then diverted her attention to Lily singing, starting to climb the stairs. "Hearts ablaze, banners high..."

Avni walked way downstage and found a stair-well to the top of the stage.

"Raise the flag, sing the song, here we come with fifty strong and fifty Frenchmen can't be wrong...." She went high, facing Lily.

"We'll kill the Beast!" Lily sang viciously in her face. Caught off- guard, Avni took a step back, but her heel caught air, and she fell backwards-

A strong hand wrapped around hers, catching her before she fell.

Hrithik pulled her onto the stair. Not letting go of her hand he asked, "You wanna hang out sometime?"

Her cheeks flushed. From the exertion.

"Yeah," she said. "I would."

"You have my Instagram," he said, walking away.

She frowned after him, before she realised, I mentioned the thirst traps.

________________________________________________

A/n

New character?!

Btw the H in Hrithik is silent- so basically it's just Rithik /ree-thee-k/

Also I'm so sorry for not updating for the last 2 days- my aunt is getting married and I was really busy-and I completely forgot to warn you guys beforehand.

Please comment and vote!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

9.7K 250 10
"It's winter break but we'll never break apart..." In which Nini tries to tell Ricky about her Y.A.C acceptance over Winter break.
58.7K 1.3K 41
Both Ricky and Nini are excited for their freshman year at their new high school: EAST HIGH!
22.5K 363 38
Nini just moved to Salt Lake from Boston and is starting her junior year at East High. Ricky was going on his third year at East High but he had a fe...
140K 2.9K 84
same old background :) ricky and nini have been best friends since the beginning. ricky has always had these underlying feelings for nini, but what c...