UNBREAK | D.M (UNRAVEL BOOK 5)

By ixfixite_

*Completed* (SEQUEL TO UNKNOWN) UNRAVEL book 5: The last thing Aine Estoileon ever remembered was the sound o... More

[ 00 ]
[ 01 ]
[ 02 ]
[ 03 ]
[ 04 ]
[ 05 ]
[ 06 ]
[ 07 ]
[ 08 ]
[ 09 ]
[ 10 ]
[ 11 ]
[ 12 ]
[ 13 ]
[ 14 ]
[ 16 ]
[ 17 ]
[ 18 ]
[ 19 ]
[ 20 ]
[ 21 ]
[ 22 ]
[ 23 ]
[ 24 ]
[ 25 ]
[ 26 ]
[ 27 ]
[ 28 ]
[ 29 ]
[ 30 ]
[ 31 ]
[ 32 ]
[ 33 ]
[ 34 ]
[ 35 ]
[ 36 ]
[ 37 ]
[ 38 ]
[ 39 ]
[ 40 ]
[ 41 ]
[ 42 ]
[ 43 ]
[ 44 ]
[ 45 ]
[ 46 ]
[ 47 ]
[ 48 ]

[ 15 ]

19 1 2
By ixfixite_

The Great Hall was as mesmerizing as Aine had recalled. With the floating candles where flames never cease to diminish decorating the bewitched ceiling along with the starry skies, shooting stars occasionally zoomed past and milky ways that swirled and hypnotizes students with their beauty. Fire spreads across the sculptural scones, warming those within the hall and illuminating the space. If there was one thing Aine loved about her school, it was the fact that it wasn't just beautiful on the outside but on the inside as well. 

Four long stretches of wooden tables were lined up, each hosting students from each house— Slytherin, Ravenclaw, Gryffindor and Hufflepuff. Everyone had huddled close and had changed into their house robes for the night. A mixed jabbering and chortling washed over the clinking of cutleries as students caught up with one another with stories they had over the holidays. 

Aine sat next to Ginny and opposite Hermione and Ron, she kept looking over to the Slytherin's table and to the massive oaken door where two Aurors had stood on either side. The voices of her friends drowned out of her mind as she took a sip of her drink before eyeing back at the door. She taps onto the stem of her goblet, it had been nearly thirty minutes since the Welcoming Feast had started and both of her friends: Draco and Harry were still absent. 

The girl became nervous, just what was taking them so long? She thought to herself. 

Just what on earth did Draco do to Harry for them to be late? The peeking eyes around Aine's peripheral vision weren't helping the girl with feeling even more on edge. She could hear the thoughts of the people around her even when she had not met any of their eyes, all were either whispering about the news of her father's death or gossiping about the Battle in the Ministry a couple of months ago.

"Who are you waiting for, princess?" Aine heard Ginny asking her, wondering what was keeping the girl on the lookout for. When Aine stared back at her cup and her face tinting red, Ginny smirked. "Oho~ For your boyfriend?" 

Aine remained quiet, shooting her best friend a look that made Ginny tease her even more. The redhead leans back to Dean Thomas, her current boyfriend after she had broken up with Michael Corner. "Isn't she just the most adorable thing, Dean?" she giggles to him and the boy could only simper at her friend.

"I'm sure Malfoy probably got held back during the baggage inspection, don't worry too much Aine!" Dean said, giving the girl a thumbs up and a grin.

Aine gave a shaky laugh, nodding slowly. "Right..." her voice softens. That was what she was worried about, it was the fact that Draco had brought some artefacts back to school. Some were unnecessary baggage and useless, for example, his father's serpent cane which Aine wasn't sure why he had to bring it along. Though if there was something Aine was unsettled about getting questioned was the Cursed Necklace. Just thinking about it made the girl run her fingers through her black locks in frustration.

She could only pray that the Aurors would not question why a mere sixteen-year-old boy possesses a dangerous item. It was a good thing that when Aine had been searched earlier, the dagger she had concealed in her boot wasn't found. She was certain that the Auror that was checking on her had his wand pointed to her leg, the charm would have detected the dark artefact but to her surprise, he did not catch it at all. Aine however, did notice Snape's eyes on her boot when he was there to overlook the search.

Ever since the last Aine had seen him, she was having difficulty trusting the man again. At times he seemed like he was ready to rat both her and her brother to the Dark Lord, but other times, it also looked like he was doing his best to prevent them from getting killed by the other Deatheaters. The actions of Severus Snape had greatly confounded Aine, and she pondered if he was on Voldemort's side or not. Perhaps he was simply playing both sides, which Aine had to admit, was a clever move on his part and risky at the same time.

A small commotion at the Gryffindor table snapped Aine from her thoughts and the girl tore her gaze away from the entrance of the hall to Hermione. She was judging Ron's lack of concern for their missing friend. The red-head boy was happily gobbling his second bowl of red jello, impressed with how it had tasted despite the questionable appearance of the dessert. It was sweet and creamy at the same time which had suit his tastes. Gosh, he missed Hogwarts food so much. 

It was until Hermione couldn't tolerate seeing him so absorbed in his food than his best mate anymore. "Will... You— stop— eating?" she fretted, hitting him with her book. Annoyed by his behaviour, she scolded, "Your best friend is missing!" 

Ron winced as he rubbed his shoulder. Aine's gaze diverted to the jelly that had spilt from his spoon to the table. She cringed and Ginny groaned, shaking her head. "Oy! Why won't you turn around, you lunatic?" he retorted, jerking his chin to the door.

Walking into the Grand Hall where Harry and Luna, were guided in by two Aurors who had strayed towards the corner of the massive hall. They surveyed the surroundings within the castle and outside of the windows, wands at the ready as if ready to strike if needed. There have been a handful of Aurors who were placed around Hogwarts grounds this year. No doubt deployed by the Ministry after what happened a couple of months ago after they had witnessed the return of He-Who-Should-Not-Be-Named.

Aine gave her Ravenclaw friend a small wave before Luna returns the gesture, her usual dreamy expression slathered onto her rosy face. She then skips towards the Ravenclaw table next to the Gryffindors. All four Gryffindors trailed over to their friend walking over, a tissue stuffed in his nostrils as his face scrunched up, crimson painting across his nose.

"Bloody hell—" Ron swore under his breath, his brows cocked up in confusion.

His little sister darted to her friends, "He's covered in blood again..." she sighs, clearly upset by Harry's unkempt appearance. "Why is it that he's always covered in blood?" she questions.

"We left him for an hour and he's already found some trouble!" Hermione pointed out, unable to believe how well Harry had attracted trouble. The boy is a walking magnet for getting himself into a ton of mess.

In a distance, Aine spotted Draco entering behind Harry, Snape by his side. The Slytherin boy looks around the hall before his eyes found Aine and the girl huffed. 

'What did you do now..?' she asks him, speaking through thoughts.

'Nothing much, love. I just accidentally broke his nose because he was eavesdropping. Very bad manners, Potter has.' Draco replies coolly, taking his seat with his friends.

'Accidentally? Goodness, Draco!' Aine shot him a deadpanned look but the boy had shrugged across the tables, acting like he hasn't done anything wrong.

'I was simply putting him in his place, Aine. Correcting his bad habits!' he defended with a cheeky grin and Aine rolls her eyes. Not wanting to argue with him any further, Aine snaps back to Harry and scooted aside for him to sit down next to Ginny, facing Ron and Hermione. Eyes targetted at him from all corners of the room, and whispers began to form, talking about what happened to him, coming to the Great hall all bloodied up.

 "Where have you been? What happened to your face?" Hermione interjects, appalled by the nasty broken nose. 

"Later..." Harry mumbles, pinching the bridge of his nose as he winks at the numbness.

Aine handed him her handkerchief to change the already-bloodied tissue in his nose. She recoiled back when it was still bleeding. "Keep it, Harry. You keep that—" she told him, referring to the handkerchief. It was already soaking up the mess and Aine and her friends were glad that they had already eaten. Ron, on the other hand, stopped eating his jelly, having lost all appetite when he realize that the dessert was the same colour as his friend's bloodied nose.

When he was well adjusted in his seat, Harry met the looks of his peers who still wore horrified expressions. He gulps, turning to Aine for a brief second when he is reminded of what happened on the train earlier in regard to a certain Slytherin girl. He cast a quick look at Pansy Parkinson, humiliated and enraged in her seat. She was seen glaring daggers at the back of Aine's head. Then, he went back to staring at his raven-haired friend who stared back.

Aine squinted at him, wondering why he was gaping at her like that. Was there a mark on her face or something or had the enchantment in her hair worn off? As a reflex, Aine casually reached to the wavy ends of her hair to play with it. She held her breath, becoming self-conscious of herself. Yet, none of her friends seems to have shared the same look as him. Everyone had acted normally and from the reflection in Harry's glasses, Aine was positive her hair was still black.

Harry then glanced away, finally realizing the fact that he was looking at her too long and too rudely. He took a big gulp of water before asking his friends, "What did I miss?" 

Ron was kind enough to enlighten him, "The Sorting Hat says we ought to be brave and strong in these troubled times." He stole a glimpse to check Hermione's reaction to check if he had gotten it right but the brunette girl remained unfazed. "Easy for it to say, though. It's a hat, isn't it?" he added with doubt.

"A hat with brains that the four founders had placed," Aine reminded him of the song the Sorting Hat had sung a few years ago. The red-headed boy visibly gagged at the imagination and she snickered. 

"I don't need reminding for that, Ai..." he groans, trying to erase the image in his mind.

The Owl Podium ahead suddenly screeched, the metal bird spreading its wings as the Headmaster took his stand. Professor Dumbledore gave a scan of the faces in the Great Hall, scrutinizing through the many heads that had peered over at him. Aine shifted in her seat when she saw the older man's eyes twinkle behind his half-moon glasses at her. The vaguest smile sent in her direction made her want to look away when she remembered her 'task'.  

"Very best of evenings to you all!" Professor Dumbledore greeted and the school went quiet and attentive. All forms of chattering had ceased and he had gained all eyes on him with one line. 

"Thanks..." Harry muttered when Ginny had helped him with the little blood left on his face, he felt his body stiffen when he was aware of how close their faces were. His cheeks flushed and he looks away, getting sheepish.

"First off, let me introduce the newest member of our staff— Horace Slughorn! Professor Slughorn, I'm happy to say, has agreed to resume his old post— as Potions Master," Dumbledore announced.

A series of applause and cheers erupted from the four tables along with the teacher's table when Professor Slughorn stood up to bow. 

"Well thank the founders that we don't have Umbridge back," Ron stated and Dean sniggered, agreeing.

Professor Horace Slughorn was a tall, old and rotund man. He had a friendly-looking face and had seemed very approachable, having little to no part of appearing stern or austere on his features unlike many of Aine's professors. He was already beaming from ear to ear as he gave a small bashful wave to his students, he genuinely seemed to like children too. Though, it reminded many of Umbridge in that manner. Umbridge was a woman who had thought of wanting to 'parent' her students, correcting their wrongs so that they align with her beliefs. Whereas Slughorn had come across as wanting to be 'friends' with his students instead.

The new Potions Professor also had an unusual style of attire, adorning a mortarboard hat that was slightly tilted on his head. He also wore old-fashion clothes: a tweeted waistcoat and a matching jacket and trousers with golden buttons and pins embedded on his outerwear. There was also a brown bowtie on his neck, reminding Ginny and Ron of their father, Arthur Weasley.

"He seems... Friendly and nice?" Ginny commented, appreciating the new addition of the professors. To most, having Slughorn as their Potions Professor was way better compared to Professor Snape. 

Aine, for one, seemed to have mixed reactions to the change. She had enjoyed Snape's potions class even though he was dramatic at times and awfully moody nearly every lesson. The girl had thought he was a great teacher which was why when she heard of the new modifications, she felt a little bummed. She had heard Hermione rambling on about the stories she has heard and collected about Slughorn's excellent talent in Potions but Aine has yet to sit in class. Even so, she held an open mind and looked forward to his classes, she prayed that his lessons wouldn't disappoint her.

"Don't jinx it now," Ron grumbles in response. Then he lit up when the revelation hits him, "Hang on... If he's taking over Snape's role then what about Defense Against the Dark Arts?" 

The dread on the Trio's face along with Ginny and Dean nearly made Aine burst out laughing. "Pease tell me it's not who I think it is..." Neville remarks softly from the side and everyone looks at him, and all excluding Aine held their breaths.

Dumbledore continued after the applause died down. "Meanwhile, the post of Defense Against the Dark Arts... Will be taken by Professor Snape!"

"For fuc—" Ginny started and Dean quickly clamps his girlfriend's foul mouth before she could finish saying it. 

Harry and Ron looked like they were ready to throw arms to protest about it but Hermione glared at them in their places. She too wasn't quite happy about it but that was the last thing that she was worried about.

The crowd was hesitant to cheer but as soon as the Slytherin house was first to celebrate, students began joining along to clap. However, the applause was quick to die down, turning to anxiety when many realize what this meant. Aine raised her goblet, congratulating her professor for getting the job he had been eyeing for years. 

Well, at least he's finally getting his dream job...

She downs her drink before resting her chin on her hand, staring blankly at the empty silverware on the table.

The Headmaster went on with his opening speech, "As you know, each and every one of you was searched upon your arrival here tonight. And you have the right to know why." He took a pause, almost wary about what he was about to say. But it was needed to get it out to his students, ever since the incident in the Ministry. Everyone had the right to know what was approaching, everyone including his precious students. 

"Once, there was a young man. Like you— sat in this very hall. Walked this castle's corridors. Slept under its roof. You see, to all the world, a student like any other. His name— Tom Riddle.

Students started clamouring about themselves and Aine could see the blood in her friends' faces draining away. She felt her stomach churn from hearing the name, feeling revolted. Even though Voldemort was not here in Hogwarts, Aine could feel him crawling under her skin. Literally. She closes her fists under the table, her nails etching crescents into her palms. 

Aine fluttered her eyes closed, she took a shallow breath to calm her pounding heart. What she hoped was comfort upon seeing nothing, ended up making her even more disturbed. Very softly, she could hear the faint hissing at the back of her skull, and the bone-chilling whispers that had belonged to Voldemort. 

Taunting her...

Breaking her...

And driving her insane very, very slowly but surely.

She didn't know why she was hearing him, it felt like she was connected to him more than ever and she wasn't sure if the cause of it was the Dark Mark under her sleeves.

Aine had her mind closed up. The metal gates fenced over her thoughts to protect herself. All that training she had done in the previous months with her mind was useless now. He was tainting her, defiling her of the little light she has left locked up inside, desperate to not let the darkness corrupt her.

Dumbledore's voice became grave, he now wore a grim expression. Further stressing the importance of the danger they were advancing on. "Today, of course, is known all over the world by another name... This is why as I stand, looking out upon you all tonight, I'm reminded of a sobering fact." He took a second to study two students, his eyes softening. 

"Every day— Every hour— This very minute... Perhaps Dark forces attempt to penetrate this castle's walls. But in the end, that greatest weapon... Is you," he stated and Aine looks up to the Headmaster. The fire within her setting her heart ablaze and she caught the tiniest twitch in his deep eyes. "Just something to think about. Now off to bed! Beep beep!" he finishes, attempting to lighten the gloomy mood.

"That was cheerful," Ron noted with sarcasm.

And with that, the Welcoming Feast had ended with many conflicted minds. However, many had decided to brush off the unnerving feeling that was weighed on their heads. It was the first day back to school and there were far more important things to worry about for now. For instance, preparing themselves for the studying and revisions, quidditch practices and matches, wondering how much more intense Defense Against the Dark Arts was going to be again this year or in other, rare cases—

Finding and mending a Vanishing Cabinet and plotting an assassination.

"How fun~" Aine blurted dully out of nowhere as she, along with Hermione and Ron who were at the back of the line of first-year Gryffindor students. They were following behind the group that was leading their juniors to their common room. 

"What? This?" Ron said, referring to them doing their prefect duties.

Aine hummed, not giving him an answer but Ron had thought she enjoyed performing their roles.

"You're weird, Ai. How is it fun following along with a bunch of tourists who can't stop gawking around?" Ginny commented, she smirked when a first-year boy jumped when a portrait surprised him.

Hermione gave her a look, "You do know that we were once like those tourists when we started Hogwarts, right?" she nonchalantly brought up. Ron snorted at the brunette's remark, he almost tripped on his steps when he turned to see his little sister's reaction. However, Ginny merely took it cool and shrugged it away.

"Didn't you say it was a hassle?" Harry claimed, not realizing what his words had meant.

"Did you now?" both Hermione and Ron said in unison. Ginny tilted her head, it was the first she had heard of it.

Aine's lips curled slightly, "Did I?" she mused. 

"Yeah... On the train earlier—" Then it hit Harry late, and he immediately shuts his mouth. He had completely mixed up the times he was under the disguise of the Invisibility cloak earlier when he was standing outside of the cabin Aine and Draco were at. Just moments before he used the Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder as a smokescreen to infiltrate the cabin to eavesdrop on Draco, to see if he could find out anything about why the boy was at Borgin and Burkes with a bunch of Deatheaters and criminals.

Aine could see the panic in Harry's eyes, the way his pupils wavered before he looks away to the moving staircases. He stole a peek at Aine after a few seconds, to see if the girl was still eyeing him. Unluckily, she still was.

Her golden irises penetrated through his gaze, boring into his skull as she awaits his answer. 

"Well... I must have been mistaken!" he quickly replied, giving an embarrassed laugh.

Aine stifled a simper, she shook her head and decided to let him get away with it. Just as he had things to hide, so did Aine. But perhaps the thing she was trying to conceal was far more dangerous and bigger than his. One that was pressuring her as the days went by, it would always weigh rooted in Aine's shoulders reminding her every second, minute and hour that it was all going to depend on how well she and Draco were going to do.

If anything, it was also the fact that she had to do it for the sake of her brother, Draco and Narcissa. For they were the only ones who had understood and know how she had felt...

Her hands were already stained with blood and sullied with the creeping darkness. Even if Draco was not able to do the deed, she had to...

No matter what.

─── ⋆⋅☀⋅⋆ ───── ⋆⋅☀⋅⋆ ───

Alright, hear me out. This is just the beginning of a very long destruction that is going to happen. Aine is... Well, although she may be powerful and intelligent, brave and courageous, she IS still a flawed character. I don't intend to make her perfect (even though at times she is, I mean... But humans aren't perfect anyways!), I do have plans to just see her fail which I have shown before. We see her being a genius potion student but when it comes to saving her father from some 'curse', she wasn't able to find a cure for it. That's probably one of her biggest regret and harder failures. 

She will fall, she will fail but she's also a very determined character who would do anything to hide her flaws and vulnerability until she no longer can. How long can she hold herself together? We shall see.

What do you think of Aine? Do you have any theories about her? Do leave your thoughts in the comments! 

Upvote if you liked this chapter~ ^^ Thank you for reading~ 

- Zeneria

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

171K 6.2K 69
~ Year five ~ Warning: This is the fifth book in a series!!! This also will journey through all of the books / movies so if you want a quick read, o...
10.6K 363 19
"She could always help me find light in the darkness." -- Draco Malfoy |Drastoria| "They weren't thinking of the broken, fractured world they were...
1.1K 90 34
*Completed* (SEQUEL TO UNVEIL) UNRAVEL book 3: Now, as things have started to change, the challenges Aine had faced in her second year at Hogwarts we...
801 50 19
I didn't want to be here with him. I didn't want to have to do this with him, let alone FOR him. And then I did the stupidest thing of all. I fell...