Thread of Gold

By JKMacLaren

A hidden princess returns to the castle to take back the throne from her usurpers. The only problem? Her grow... More

Season List for Thread of Gold
prologue
Ch. 1: the mermaid's scale
Ch. 2: ties that bind us
Ch. 3: from the darkness
Ch. 4: so rare and lovely
Ch. 5: until it bleeds
Ch. 6: the path unwalked
Ch. 7: the bottom of the sea
Ch. 8: love and hate
Ch. 9: fish on a hook
Ch. 10: life and death
Ch. 11: the hallow's eve party
Ch. 13: a beautiful dream
Ch. 14: bittersweet as orange peels
Ch. 15: to bend is to break
Ch. 16: dog with a sword
Ch. 17: darkness between the stars
Ch. 18: ghosts in the snow
Ch. 19: hand of the goddess
Ch. 20: grim's market
Ch. 21: only a boy
Ch. 22: what hunts in the shadows
Ch. 23: everything is poetry
Ch. 24: metal burned clean
Ch. 25: broken and breaking
Ch. 26: the forgotten princess
Ch. 27: a hint of cinnamon
Ch. 28: all that glitters
Ch. 29: first frost ball
Ch. 30: more lovely than flowers
Ch. 31: sweet agony
Ch. 32: of ashes and dust
Ch. 33: monsters we make
Ch. 34: nothing to me
Ch. 35: black ink in water
Ch. 36: brutal silver
Ch. 37: thread of gold
epilogue

Ch. 12: the king's toy

1.9K 126 54
By JKMacLaren

Too late.

She had been too late.

Anna stared down at the tankard. The ale had turned sour as cherry wine, and she realized what that silver glimmer near Tristan's pocket had been. Nightmare somnium. The effects hit her a moment later, and she stumbled.

Oh, shit.

She wasn't frightened. Nightmare somnium wouldn't affect her like most mortals. The average person lost their mind, caught up in a world of private torment. They clawed at their skin. They lashed out. Sometimes, they even died.

As a Nightweaver, Anna had some natural immunity to another weaver's somnium; given this small a dose, she'd see a few hallucinations. That was about the extent of it.

But nobody else knew that.

This, Anna thought grimly, was going to have to be the gods-damn performance of a lifetime.

White flames exploded, burning a path up her thighs. Anna didn't have to fake her flinch. Fire. Gods, she hated fire. Sophie had made her do this dozens of times before, but it never got any easier. She could feel the heat of the flames, smell the singed fabric. Her mind was using her own worst nightmares against her.

Tristan tucked the glass phial back into his pocket. "Something the matter, little healer?"

"What did you do?"

It was Ryne that spoke. His green eyes were hard as sea glass, and there was a heat in them that Anna hadn't seen before. He looked ready to seize the fire poker and whack Tristan over the head with it.

Tristan's lip curled. "I provided some entertainment."

"She had it coming." The blonde girl smiled. "That's what you get if you refuse to bow to the king of Wynterlynn."

Grayson scowled. "Oh, shut-it, Elsie."

Anna's heart sped up. The invisible flames kept spreading over her clothes. She let out a string of mental curses, so foul that Henry would have threatened to wash her mouth out. Could she make a run for it? But, no; people under the effects of nightmare somnium could hardly walk by themselves.

Don't panic.

Sophie's words. But they mocked her, now. Panicking was exactly what everyone in this tavern would expect her to do.

"Oh, dear," Elsie crooned. "Is your dress burning?" Her blue eyes sparkled. "Perhaps you should take it off."

A heartbeat later, Anna realized what Tristan wanted her to do.

Strip naked.

Fury swelled in her chest. That bastard. The entire tavern had stopped to watch her now, their expressions torn between horror and glee. Anna's stomach clenched. She was going to have to do it, wasn't she? Scream, and then tear off her dress. That was what they were expecting of her. That's what any regularperson would do.

Oh, to hell with it.

Anna screwed up her face into an expression of terror. She let out a blood-curdling scream, staggering backwards. Even as she hated him. Even as she thought about shoving Tristan's stupid, smug face straight into the fireplace.

She reached for the hem of her dress, and whoops exploded. Camille sprang forward, forcing her arms to the side. "Enough." Camille's voice was tight with fury. "That's enough, Tristan. Call it off."

"Too late." He shrugged. "You'll have to let it run its course."

"What's wrong, Camille?" Elsie's eyes danced. "Does it bother you to see people lose control like that?"

Camille paled. "Shut your mouth, Elsie."

The girl's smile widened. "Oh, I've seen whose mouth you like to think about. Does he know you think about him in bed? Does he—?"

"Shut it."

"Let the healer go, Camille," Tristan drawled, "or I'll make you let her go." His golden eyes were hard. "The king's new toy has a lesson to learn."

Ryne stepped forward. The entire tavern fell silent. "Get on your knees, Tristan."

"Excuse me?"

"Get on your knees," Ryne said softly, "and crawl to Anna."

Shock lanced across Tristan's face. "No. I won't."

Ryne's jaw tightened. Golden threads slithered down from the lamps overhead, twining around Tristan like a glittering cocoon. Tristan let out a shout, struggling against them, and the threads wrapped tighter and tighter, suffocating him. Then they vanished. Tristan blinked like a sleepwalker awaking from a dream.

"Anna." Tristan's expression was dreamy. "My gods. Anna."

He surged towards her. There was something wrong with Tristan's face, Anna realized, her blood running cold. He was looking at her tenderly. Almost lovingly. A dopey smile stretched across his face, threatening to split his face.

"No, you want to crawl to her." Ryne's voice was tender as a caress. "Get on your knees and crawl, Tristan. You want to kiss her feet, don't you?"

"Yes," Tristan whispered, sinking to his knees. "Yes, I want that."

Ryne smiled and horror surged through her. Stars above. Ryne was the one doing this. He had cast a web from more than five feet away. The fire was fading away — whatever nightmare somnium Tristan had used, it was weak — but it was replaced by an icy chill.

Ryne was powerful.

Really powerful.

"Ryne," Isaac said, thunderstruck. "Ryne, stop it."

Ryne ignored him. "Crawl."

Tristan did so. He scrabbled across the dusty floor, ignoring the rusted nails that pricked his hands, breaking the skin until it bled. Behind her, Camille had gone limp. "Ry, stop. What on earth are you doing?"

Tristan lay his head down by Anna's feet. Warm lips brushed her toes, and a barmaid made a choked noise. Elsie looked like she might be sick. But Ryne just kept watching with those same hard green eyes.

"Now beg her," Ryne said calmly. "Beg Anna for her forgiveness."

Isaac's face drained of blood. "Ry."

"Beg her, Tristan."

"Please," Tristan gasped. "Forgive me." There were tears in his eyes, turning the gold to molten liquid. "I'm so sorry. You're the best thing in this world, and if you don't forgive me... I can't stand it." His hand found a knife on the table. "Say that you forgive me, Anna. I can't live with myself if you don't. I can't—"

"Ryne!" Isaac gripped his shoulders. "You've made your point. Now stop." He shook him. "Stop."

Ryne staggered backwards, as if Isaac had slapped him. The spell broke, and Tristan dropped the knife, staring at his empty hand in shock. He knelt on the dusty floor, looking up at Ryne with an expression of total astonishment. He looked very young. Young, and a little lost.

"Ryne?"

"The thing about my toys," Ryne said, his voice dangerously low, "is that I'm very protective of them. And I don't take kindly to other people playing with them."

And with that, he stalked out of the tavern.

This, Camille thought, was terribly awkward.

Camille stared at the tavern door. Most of the crowd had dispersed, now; Ryne and Isaac had stormed out first, then Anna had vanished. Penny had muttered something about needing air. Tristan had gone after her, and then Grayson. None of them had come back.

Leaving only her and Elsie.

Well.

Camille wasn't about to put herself through that. She gathered up her shawl. Normally, she'd make up some polite excuse, but given Elsie's behaviour this evening, she didn't feel all that bad about leaving. She rose from the table.

"You love him, don't you?"

Camille paused. Elsie's blue eyes glittered.

"No, don't answer that; I can see that you do. I thought it was a silly little crush at first, but it's more than that, isn't it? It's your deepest desire. Your deepest secret."

She stiffened. "If you tell him—"

"Where would be the fun in that?" Elsie's lips curved. "I'll enjoy dangling it over your head far more. We're going to have such fun, you and I."

Camille gripped her shawl. Once again, she was painfully aware of how beautiful Elsie looked; she was wearing a short black dress this evening, her tanned legs on full display. Several men were gazing admiringly at them. Elsie didn't seem to notice.

Then again, Elsie was probably used to the attention.

Camille swallowed. "I can see why he's so captivated by you. You're beautiful, and you're sophisticated. You're popular." Not like me, she thought. Not like I could ever be. "Do you love him?"

Elsie's smile slipped. "That's none of your concern, Ash Princess."

"Don't break his heart," she said. "That's all I ask."

Elsie cocked her head. "But you're hoping that I do, aren't you?" She leaned forward. "You're hoping that I break his heart, and you'll be the one to pick up the pieces. Saintly little Camille Dufleur."

Her cheeks burned. "I never said that."

"It won't work, you know." Elsie's smile turned smug. "Pushing him out of my bed won't be enough to bring him into yours."

Camille felt the words like a slap. Elsie pushed back from the table, pausing. Her breath was warm on her neck. "Oh, and for the record, Isaac's wonderful in bed. It's a shame that you'll never get to experience it."

And with that, Elsie sauntered out of the tavern.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

33.3K 3K 74
The parallel lives of two princesses living a millennium apart are bound together in the most unlikely of ways. Princess Aebbé of Ardam, haunted by...
6.2K 701 30
*COMPLETE* Lady Maren is a Light Wielder; her magic is illegal. She must appear at court, and to her horror, an ill-timed sneeze forces her to expos...
8.7M 351K 47
Highest rank - #1 in Vampire ** In a world far beyond human imagination, into the deep roots of the vampire realm he ruled. For over a century, he's...
29.8K 1.9K 24
"The two people connected by the red thread are destined lovers, regardless of place, time, or circumstances. This magical cord may stretch or tangle...