Too Late To Say Goodbye | Tom...

By helpingthemind

~1923~ In which Tommy's life seems to be falling into place. Business is expanding, the family is thriving... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.
54.
55.
56.
57.
58.
59.
60.
61.
62.
63.
64.
65.
66.
67.
68.
69.
70.
71.
72.
73.
74.
75.
76.
77.
78.
79.
80.
81.
82.
83.
84.
85.
86.
87.
88.
89.
90.
91.
93.
94.
95.
96.
97.
98.
99.
100.
101.
102.
103.
104.
105.
Author's Note

92.

3.5K 136 7
By helpingthemind

The night was finally here.

The night of the boxing match.

Bella sighed as she looked herself over in the mirror. The dress she has on didn't fit the way she wanted it too, thinking it made her look even bigger than she already was.
She always struggled with her self and although she loves being pregnant, the toll is was taking on her body was now effecting how she perceives herself.

"Bella, doll, you ready?" Polly's voice echoed as she walked into the room

Bella turned to her with a sadden look, "does this dress look okay on me?"
She felt silly asking such a pointless question. How she looks shouldn't matter, especially when they needed to be on high alerts at the match. But she couldn't help.

And Polly knew this.

The dress Bella had on was black with rhinestones sewn into the design. It was a beautiful dress and she was glowing. But at times Polly knew Bella struggled believing that, no matter how many time Tommy and herself tell her otherwise.

So Polly walked over to the girl, holding her at arm's length as she smoothed down her wavy hair.
"You're Beautiful, Bella. Always have been and even more so now that you're carrying your child...and I know Tommy would agree, he's been smitten with you since the moment you met and I don't see that ending any time soon."

Bella felt her bottom lip wobble as she nodded at her aunt.

"Oh stop that, none of that today." Polly spoke again before Bella could let her emotion come out.
"Come, the women are waiting for us."

Polly took her arm and helped guide her downstairs. Where Linda, Ada and Lizzie were waiting for them.

The group was dressed to the nines and ready to head over to match.
Linda, Ada and Lizzie walked arm in arm down the street, with Bella and Polly doing the same a few feet in front of them.
From an outside perspective, they looked powerful.
And they were.

The women walked right past the line of hundreds of men waiting outside to be checked before entering.
The group, especially Bella and Polly, showed that they were here for business and not to be fucked with.

Bella gave Johnny Dogs a nod as they passed him. He was at the entrance, padding down the men for any weaponry before entering.

Inside was huge and much grander than Bella ever could've imagined. Hundred of chairs were set up on the floor and balconies, surrounding the boxing ring that was presented in front of a giant British flag.

And standing in the middle of the ring was the one and only Thomas Shelby. He was speaking with Arthur and Aberama.

Bella smiled when he glanced at her from the side of his eye and smirked.
He looks handsome in his full suit.

To her side Polly also smirked watching the silent interaction. It only proved her point of what she was telling the girl earlier.

A moment later, Tommy clapped Aberama on the shoulder and made his way to the edge of the ring. Leaning on the ropes right above Bella as he smirked down at her.

"Hello Tommy." She smiled up at him, taking a step closer. Noticing how boyish he looks as he looked down at her.

"Hi peach, you look stunning."

Bella huffed and rolled her eyes as she grabbed part of her dress, looking down at it.
"Really? Because I feel like I'm about 500 pounds."

Tommy hated when she felt like this. He wanted her to know how beautiful she really was. Pregnant or not.
So instead of responding, he climbed under one of the ropes and jumped down from the raised platform.
Before she had time to say anything else, he gently pulled her face to his, kissing her passionately.
Sometimes words aren't enough.

Bella was surprised at first, but soon melted into it, kissing him back with the same amount of passion, forgetting about why she was so upset. All she needs is her Tommy.

"Alright you two, I suppose I'll make sure everything runs properly while you are busy." Polly interrupted their moment, the smirk still evident on her face.

Bella pulled back to look at her aunt with a smile. "Sorry Polly." She said While Tommy still held her face, not looking away from her.

"Come with me peach. We have someone to meet in the back." Tommy told her, getting her attention back.

He has been anxious and running around all day. Making sure there was enough men, and security in case Changretta actually does send men here tonight.
But as soon as he saw Bella walk in, dressed like the most elegant woman he's ever seen, all his attention went on her.
He had plans to make sure she didn't leave his side the entire night. It was too risky and he didn't trust her with any one but himself.

She turned back to him, giving him a nod and taking his offered arm. Allowing him to lead her in the right direction.

They walked down the long hall until they reached a small room. It was a bench room, where the boxers would prep for the matches. But this one was empty, empty except for one man when they walked in.

"Alfie!" Bella greeted him, letting go of Tommy to hug her friend "it's good to see you decided to come."

"Ya ya love, not staying to watch." Alfie answered with quick pat on her back, then stepped back to sit on the bench. His hands rested on his cane.

Bella, confused, sat down next to him. "Why?"

He shrugged "why stay when I know who wins? Besides bout time I leave innit?"

"Alf, I don't understand what you're saying." She asked still confused on what he was talking about

He turned to her, giving a small nod "see love, took yer advice. My body's sick and it's time for me to rest. Margate. A peaceful life on the beach."

Bella smiled at the realization. Alfie was retiring. He deserves it especially with his condition. "I'm happy for you, Alf. I really am. But you still need to keep to your promise of visiting when they're born." She said while rubbing her belly

Alfie let out a chuckle laugh, knowing she'll never let him forget.

Tommy still stood in the doorway. He's learned to let them have their small catch up conversations when they get to see each other. But they were on a time crunch and Tommy already spent some of it with Bella.
It was time for business.
So he cleared his throat and sat opposite of them.

From under the rim of his hat, Alfie looked over at him.
"You need to do the same, mate. Buy yourself some time, sell every ounce of gold you got and rest."

Tommy watched him as he spoke, then looked at Bella, who was looking down at her hands.
For her, he wishes he could do that. But he knows that'll never be possible for him or Bella, their minds can't handle the rest.
"So you're moving to margate?"

"Aye, that I am. No point in staying now. The Italians are here, aren't they?"

Tommy slowly nodded. His fingers twitched begging for a cigarette, but he won't smoke around Bella.
"We suspect they will be."

Alfie leaned forward on his cane more, looking Tommy straight in the eyes. "Lemme give ya a piece of advice here Tom."

"And what may that be?" He asked. Bella sat quietly next to Alfie watching the two. It almost felt as if they both knew something she didn't, and the thought was begging her to learn more.

"Big fucks small...and there's another fight out there between big and small, but...big. Will always. Fuck. Small." Alfie told him, the simple phrase held many meanings.

Tommy listened, then stood up. "Well, Alfie, I wish you well in Margate. But I have a new acquaintance here tonight to help make sure that, that is not the case."

Alfie let out an airy laugh "and who may that be?"

Tommy motioned for someone to walk in. Bella confused as to who it may be as well sat with her eyebrows scrunched waiting for the person to enter.

"Fuckin' hell, you really went and done it." Alfie breathed out, upon seeing who walked into the room with them.

Bella sat in shocked and confusion as she watched Alfie stand up to give Vinny a hug.

Bella stood up as well, standing a few feet behind them, looking between the three men, not understanding.

Is this some kind of joke? A trick?

Tommy looked at her and gave a small nod as the other two men pulled away.

When they did, Vinny's eyes instantly went to hers. Alfie noticed and looked at her as well, he didn't think he'd ever see the day the two were in the same room again.
Alfie also noticed Tommy looking between the two, seemingly on edge. So he turned to him.
"Well mate, why don't you go show me who me nephew is up against tonight."

His comment snapped Tommy out of his daze, looking at him then at Bella.
She couldn't take her eyes off Vinny, still in shock. But after a second she looked at him and gave him a small nod.

Then Tommy hesitantly followed Alfie out of the room, leaving the two alone. Although he didn't want to, he knew Vinny would never do anything that could harm Bella.

"I-I don't understand." She whispered
Last time she spoke to him, she was convinced he would've killed Tommy on sight. So him being here now, apparently helping them didn't make sense.

Vinny stood slightly awkwardly, running a hand through his hair before putting them in his pockets, taking a step closer to her.
"...I came to a realization."

"And what was it?" She cautiously asked, sacred for the answer.

He took a deep breath, just like she always does, then looked at her.
"I spent a lot of time thinking about what happened...I was angry that you weren't here waiting for me, like I thought you would be. I was angry that you were pregnant with another man's child. I was angry that you were somehow involved in this whole vendetta. But I should've guessed, you always liked this lifestyle, so it shouldn't have been a surprise that you were drawn to it again...but most of all, I realized that all I've ever wanted was for you to be happy and safe. Since the day I found you, I vowed to make that happen. Even if I'm not the man you're with, I still want that for you and to help you get it."

Bella stood listening to his confession, tears coming to her eyes but she tried her best to push them down.
"So-so you went to Tommy?"

He sighed as he nodded, looking down then back up at her. "I did...I told him I can't promise anything. But I will try."

Now she felt her bottom lip start to wobble. This was the Vinny she remembers, the Vinny she fell in love with.

He took another step and continued speaking. "Changretta knows I'm here. He plans to send men here tonight. I don't know who or when, my job is to report back to him. Tommy knows and I'll do my part to help."

She nodded, not trusting her voice. It was hard to believe this was real.

He took another step, now only about a foot in front of her. She watched as his eyes looked her over, but still stayed silent as they made eye contact again.

He gave her the tiniest smile, "I always knew you'd be even more beautiful while pregnant."

Now she felt that strike in her heart again
"Vinny..."

"No, it's okay Bella. It really is." He stopped her before she could speak. "I spoke with Tommy. He's a good man."

She nodded slightly, agreeing with him. So much relief was flowing through her. For a long time she knew one of them, Tommy or Vinny would get hurt during this vendetta. But with all of them fighting for the same side, they might actually have a chance.
So she leaned up, wrapping her arms around his neck tightly.
"Thank you, Vinny...I can't explain how much I've missed you."

He held onto her too, rubbing her back slightly.
"I've missed you too. You're going to be a wonderful mother."

She finally let him a go after a few moments, kissing his cheek then wiping a stray tear that fell.

"We should go, before that fiancé of yours comes for my head. I don't believe he trust me with you quite yet." Vinny joked with her

She laughed through her tears, but agreed knowing Tommy was probably anxiously waiting for them.

And she was right. Because as soon as they left the room, Tommy pushed himself off the wall he was leaning on, instantly putting out his cigarette when Bella came in sight.

She made her way to him and pulled him in for a hug as well. Whispering 'Thank you' to him as well.

Tommy nodded, putting an arm around her waist and turned towards Vinny who watched from the doorway.
"You know what to do?"

Vinny nodded "I'll be back here during the match."

Tommy gave him a single nod as a thanks then started to guide Bella back towards the main room.

Before they got far Bella looked back at Vinny, mouthing 'Thank you' to him, which he smiled in return.

This new dynamic gave her a new hope. A hope to see the end of this vendetta.

She just hopes everyone is okay tonight.

***Author's Note***
Surprised?!
Lmk what you think of everything that's happening!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

169K 2.6K 44
At the age of 19, finn shelby is the baby of the family. But not for long. As a face from the past comes back to haunt him and brings with her a litt...
79.4K 2.1K 22
Before the war, when Tommy and the Shelby family were simple bookmakers that just dabbled in criminality, John was not the only one who married early...
26.2K 844 6
do i look like the kind of woman who dies? π—Ώπ—²π˜€π˜‚π—Ώπ—Ώπ—²π—°π˜π—Άπ—Όπ—» peaky blinders: s1 tommy shelby x fem!oc time frame...
61.3K 3.1K 33
π™‘π™žπ™˜π™š: π™žπ™’π™’π™€π™§π™–π™‘ 𝙀𝙧 π™¬π™žπ™˜π™ π™šπ™™ π™—π™šπ™π™–π™«π™žπ™€π™ͺ𝙧 𝙀𝙧 𝙖 π™¬π™šπ™–π™ π™£π™šπ™¨π™¨ 𝙀𝙛 π™—π™šπ™π™–π™«π™žπ™€π™ͺ𝙧 𝙀𝙧 π™π™–π™—π™žπ™©. π™‘π™žπ™§π™©π™ͺπ™š: π™—π™šπ™...