Showtime

Oleh glowing_pheonix

Avni Mathur is a senior at East High, a third generation Indian and a Broadway star in the making. When her b... Lebih Banyak

Cast
1. Auditions
2. Read- through
3. Wonderstudies
4. Blocking
5. Homecoming
6. What Team?
7. Thanksgiving
8. Tech Rehearsal
9. Opening Night
10.1. Act Two, Part 1
10.2. Act Two, Part 2
11. New Years' Eve
13.1. Valentine's Day, Part 1
13.2. Valentine's Day, Part 2
14. The Storm
15. The Quinceañero
16. Yes, And...
17. The Field Trip
18.1. Most Likely To..., Part 1
18.2. Most Likely Too... Part 2
19. Spring Break
20.1. The Transformation, Part 1
20.2. The Transformation, Part 2
21.1. "Showtime", Part 1
21.2. "Showtime", Part 2
22. Second Chances
23. The Menkies
24.1. Camp Prom, Part 1
24.2. Camp Prom, Part 2
24.3. Camp Prom, Part 3
25. Let It Go
Continuation!

12. Typecasting

138 3 0
Oleh glowing_pheonix

[Avni: So New Year's Eve was a mess. But- I feel much better now- because I have a goal. After regrouping, I have realised that the Menkies are really a fast- tracked way to success- and I will be putting myself in the front seat. I'm talented, and the world's going to know it. Screw everyone who gets in the way of my journey.]

Avni stayed shy of the theatre table at lunch. She didn't want to get carried away in the drama like last time. She wanted the lead, but not at anyone else's expense. She would work hard at auditions, and earn the role fair and square.

"Ricky's not auditioning," Gina plopped down in front of her. "EJ's not doing the lead either. Ashlyn's going for composer. Carlos is also auditioning."

Well, there went that plan.

Avni sighed, "I don't want to get involv- Wait did you say neither Ricky nor EJ are actually auditioning for the lead?"

Gina shook her head.

"Who's going to play the beast?"

Gina shrugged, "I have no idea."

"You have prod at Ricky," Avni said.

"I don't think that's a very good idea."

"You did it last semester. He didn't mind. He thanked you. He yelled at me, but he thanked you. Though, I daresay I deserved it."

"For the record, I don't think everything he said was accurate," Gina said. "But maybe I can tell him to not give up. Maybe."

"Maybe's all I need," Avni said. "Tell him he's our best shot for Menkies. He'll eat that up," Avni added as an after-thought.

"Ooo, are we plotting for the play?" EJ asked, sitting down at the table.

"Oh, for fuck's sake," Avni groaned.

Gina grinned, "You might leave the scheming, but the scheming won't leave you."

♡♡♡♡♡

"Hi," Gina said happily as she took a seat beside Avni. Auditions were starting in five minutes.

"You're happy," Avni noted.

"Yeah, I talked to Ricky, and I think I got through to him. We'll see."

"That's good."

"Also, I've been thinking," Gina said, her tone dramatically different. Avni turned to look at her. "I don't think I'm going to audition for Belle today."

Avni furrowed her eyebrows, "Why not?"

"I don't wanna go up against you."

"Gina-"

"No look, hear me out. It's your last musical here, I've so many more where I can play the lead. I told you we'd go through this together, and I meant that-"

"I did too. But Gina-"

"Look, I don't know what's going to happen at the end of this semester. I don't know if I'm going to be able to stay here, and I just want to leave happy. I've been thinking about it for a while now, and Ashlyn gave me this trio she wrote and honestly, I'm going to give that a try."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah."

"Plus, Carlos kind of asked me to be co-choreographer."

"Oh my god, what?"

"Yeah, I'm going to give it a shot."

"Yeah, okay," Avni grinned, hugging Gina.

"Okay, okay. You know- if Ricky's going to audition, he'll be a front-runner for sure. Maybe you should make up with him?"

"Yeah, I know. I have a plan."

"I'm sorry, what's that? You have a scheme? Is that what you said?"

Avni pushed Gina playfully, "Shut up."

♡♡♡♡♡

"As you all know, this year's auditions will be a two-step process," Miss Jenn said. "One, a group vocal warm-up to the classic song Belle, and two, a song of your choice. Whatever shows off you the best. Okay, circle up. Take your neighbour's hand for a moment of silent reflection."

"Certain as the sun Rising in the east, tale as old as time, song as old as rhyme, Beauty and the..." Miss Jenn began her usual start of audition-

The door to the theatre flung open, revealing a disarrayed Ricky.

"Guess he decided to come after all," Miss Jenn said.

"Is this Mamma Mia? 'Cause here we go again," Carlos said.

Avni and Gina just grinned at each other.

♡♡♡♡♡

"Five minutes till solo auditions," Natalie called.

"You sounded good during warm ups," (Lily?) said to Avni.

"Thanks. You too. For someone who's never done theatre before, you are a natural," Avni replied genuinely.

"Oh, I meant I had never done local theatre before. You know, with, um, this kinda crowd."

The hair at the back of Avni's neck stood up. "What are you trying to say?"

"That we both know we're the only real contenders for the lead here. So, may the best Belle win. Smiley face emoji."

Did she just say that in a real-life conversation? "Actually... my friends are incredibly talented."

"Oh, um, I'm sorry. I thought this was an audition, not a friendship circle," she said.

Avni fake-smiled at her. "Good luck."

Ugh.

"Girls," Avni said, coming up to the trio huddled up in a corner, practicing. "All of us better bring it. There's no way in hell I'm letting Lily get a role in this musical."

♡♡♡♡♡

Guitar in hand, Avni took the stage nervously. It was definitely hard to follow that amazing trio Gina, Kourtney and Ashlyn just performed, and there was more at stake on this song than a role in the musical.

She breathed out, "I wrote this song about something beautiful I lost recently. Here's to hoping I can earn it back. Also, shout-out to Ashlyn for helping me with the melody. I love you, girl," she paused. "Okay, here it goes."

"Was never the right time, whenever you called. Went little by little until there was nothing at all.

Our every moment, I start to replay, but all I can think about is seeing that look on your face."

Avni glanced at Ricky. He was watching intently, and he seemed pained.

"When you hurt under the surface, like troubled waters running cold.

Well time can heal, but this won't."

Avni paused before she started the chorus.

"So, before you go, was there something I could've said to make your heart beat better?"

She continued the song, all the way to the end, losing herself in the melody and the meaning behind the words.

"It kills me how your mind can make you feel so worthless, so before you go."

She strummed the last note and was met with loud applause- but she only cared about what Ricky was doing.

He smiled slightly at her, and it felt like a crushing weight had lifted from her heart.

♡♡♡♡♡

"Clear," Carlos said as he put up the cast list.

Everyone crowded around the board, eagerly looking for their name on the paper.

"Guess we're the leads now," Ricky said, coming up to Avni.

"I guess we are," she smiled up at him.

___________________________________________________

A/n

Song featured is Before You Go by Lewis Capaldi, but I started from the second verse because it fits better.

This chapter's but the next one is all drama :)

(It will be in two parts though- sorry.)

[Did I make Avni play Belle out of spite for the Ariel thing? Yes, yes I did.]

Lanjutkan Membaca

Kamu Akan Menyukai Ini

28.6K 573 32
Nini Salazar Roberts is a new girl at East High academy. Ricky Bowen a popular boy sees Nini and immediately develops a crush on her. What happens...
34.9K 816 54
AU where ricky and nini meet on tinder, don't fall in love, become best friends and then fall in lOoOoOve :)))) very cliche story but hey, I love cli...
140K 2.9K 84
same old background :) ricky and nini have been best friends since the beginning. ricky has always had these underlying feelings for nini, but what c...
22.5K 363 38
Nini just moved to Salt Lake from Boston and is starting her junior year at East High. Ricky was going on his third year at East High but he had a fe...