A Game of Love and Betrayal

By crocus_ain5835

"I killed him. I just watched him die as he bled out. But I don't feel guilty. I was just protecting myself... More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14

Chapter 1

25 1 0
By crocus_ain5835

"This one. Show me the background of Skylar Brown."

The tall man in his late 20s wearing a black suit standing next to him nodded and started reading from a file in his hand, "Skylar Brown. She was in an orphanage previously after her family was murdered by robbers but then a man in his 50s adopted her when she was 7. Apparently, after a few years, that man got into complications with our gang and then this happened." He played a video on the projector screen in front of them. A video of 7 years ago.

Flashback from 7 years ago:

A 10-year-old little girl trembled in terror seeing the only man she ever knew that cared for her tied to a chair in front of her and knocked out, deep purple bruises and blood covering his face. A young man dressed in black with bright red hair spoke near her ear in an eerily calm deep voice, "I'm asking you nicely for the last time, little girl. Do you choose your own life or his ?"

The little girl spoke in a trembling, weak voice while tears rolled down her cheeks, "please let go of us. I beg you."

"I'll help you with your decision. C'mon let me tell you a secret," he whispered something in her ears and her eyes grew wide in surprise as more tears rolled down her eyes, a ragged sob escaping her throat.

"I don't want to die," she spoke slowly, between her sobs, looking back at the man's calm amber eyes. The man beside her placed a gun in her trembling hands carefully, making her back stiffen in shock and a gasp escaping her lips.

"Good. Then shoot him. Now," he patted her head softly and held her arms gently, pointing them at the man tied on the chair, "it's simple really. Just pull the trigger and your life will be spared."

"But... This isn't right," she whispered in a low, quiet voice, her eyes fixed on the gun.

"Nothing is ever right or fair in this world, kid. Think about the secret that I just told you and make your choice. Your life or his?"

After 2 seconds, a loud sound of a gunshot pierced through the air, while the 10-year-old girl looked at the dead body in front of her with dread and calmness. The little girl didn't break down in tears or scream in horror. She just stood there looking at the dead body and the carmine blood spreading on the floor slowly reaching near her feet, a sick heavy metallic smell filled the air. The man standing beside her smiled crazedly looking at her with sparkling eyes. The smell of blood and the sound of a clock ticking, everything seemed to make her feel sick to the stomach and nauseous. But that was the day she knew she always has to do what needed to be done to protect herself.

End of flashback.

"So, what's the condition of this little girl now?" The man asked averting his eyes from the screen on the wall.

"She was under our surveillance for a few months and she didn't show any signs of trauma or guilt. So she was chosen as eligible to train and be prepared to work for our gang. She is the type to do anything as long as it benefits her."

"Sweet. I want her on the team for this year's training game of 'The Crimson Arcane". You will take care of her. Right, Zion?"

"Yes, sir, I'll supervise all candidates of the elimination game this year to sculpt them into extraordinary gang members in the future."

"Excellent," he smiled approvingly.

Skylar sipped on her chilled energy drink can while sitting on the bank of a lake, gazing at the city lights. Her bare feet touch the cold water below relieving her stress. She pushed back her soft long hair from her face and inhaled the cold breeze gazing at the moonlight and city lights sparkling on the water. As soon as her phone rang her expression immediately turned into a salty one seeing the caller id.

"What do you want now? I completed my last mission just yesterday."

"You do know that you are too good at your work plus you have a pretty face. So I got a special job for you this time."

"You are too old now to be playing around with words. I don't even know why I'm so casual with the man who made me commit the first murder of my life."

"Seeing you back then was just amusing. Not a lot of 7-year-old kids are that calm after their first kill."

"I know I'm amazing. Tell me about the job. "

"Tomorrow at 4 AM at the gang's helipad. Be there and cooperate with what you are told. I would suggest you don't talk or get involved with the people you will be boarding with. I can't disclose further information."

"It's boring if you are being that secretive. If it requires me to travel somewhere far and spend a few days then the money amount must be good. I'm in."

Time skip.

Skylar leaned back on one of the comfortable large chairs arranged around a circular white marble table. She bit on a chocolate chip muffin while observing the strangers in the room sitting in the chairs around her. The room that they were seated in was modernly furnished as a meeting room, completely painted in beige, with a wall on one side made completely of glass overlooking the sea outside. There were 5 people in total, most of them helping themselves to snacks and not bothering to socialize. She had never been the type to initiate a conversation so she just gazed out of the window at the calming sea waves and at the pretty gradient of red and pink in the evening sky.

That was until a man entered the room with a bright smile on his face. He looked like he is in his early 30s. Tall, dark brown eyes, not-so-bad smile. He looked handsome enough but she couldn't care less about it at the moment. He spread out his arms gesturing a grand welcome and started to speak, as everyone turned their attention to him.

"Welcome to the training game this year held by the 'Crimson Arcane.'" he smiled warmly as deep dimples formed on his cheek and his thick British accent flowed throughout the room, "The first test for you 5 will take place on this tropical island and I'm in charge of supervising y'all throughout your stay here."

"Get to the main part. We all know it's just a cruel game to see who survives," one of the boys in the room spoke. He sat with a cold gaze, his tatted arms crossed over his broad chest. His all-black outfit, pupils a color darker than ruby but just as luminescent and glinting with mischieve, and a silver lip ring on a side of his bottom lip radiating an intimidating vibe.

"I was told that it's a mission though. And I would be paid. That's all?"

"Ah Skylar, actually you are a potential candidate for the exam so your supervisor lied to you so you participate. This is an exam that the gang holds every year for competent members to train them. The amount of money will be luscious if you can pass and of course, that includes rising up the ranks too."

"I'm not interested. It's a hassle. What if I refuse to participate?"

"We will just have to kill you. So it's better to give it try, right?" Zion smiled at her as she rolled her eyes and cursed under her breath. "The exam is simple really. You all spend some time on the deserted island, collect points, and complete tasks. The points that you earn will each be converted into a million dollars at the end. But of course, you can choose high ranks within the gang in exchange for a certain amount too, or basically, any of your realistic wishes can be granted."

"Sounds sweet. But to what extent will our wishes be fulfilled?" a boy with dark blonde hair and icy blue eyes asked with a smirk on his face.

"May I ask you to elaborate on that question, Landon?"

"I mean, say, if I manage to earn enough points and wish to kill you. Would that be granted?"

"Always too curious, aren't you?" he gave a small scornful smile, "We will discuss that after you manage to get to that point. Any other question?"

"And what did you mean by 'some time'? How long do we have to stay here exactly?"

"That's a surprise for you guys and completely up to me to decide."

"Tch. It does sound like a game," Landon muttered scrunching his nose in disdain.

"Sort of? That also means you guys can just have fun with it. As long as you don't die that is,"  Zion reassured and continued to explain, "Everyone gets a digital watch and you can see all updated tasks or evaluations of skills of other persons. Also, there are 5 people which means you will have 2 pairs and one person will be solo. Wear your watches and you may choose whom you want to partner up with."

Everyone wore their watch and checked the evaluation charts of other candidates in the room. It included their name, age, speed and agility, and psychological skills. Psychological ability was calculated based on critical thinking and decision making, adaptability indicating one's fluency to adapt to a new situation and their ability to think on their foot, and combat skills which include specializing in a particular weapon or such. Roughly an overall chart so everyone can get knowledge about others to know whom to choose as a partner.

"I would suggest that Karma takes the exam alone. He is most skilled here so not only he is more than capable himself but also I think partnering up would just be a burden for him. Right, Karma?" Zion suggested.

The candidates in the room except for Karma glanced at his overall evaluation on their watch. The abilities were marked as points from a range of 1-5.

Name: Karma.

Age: 18

Agility and speed: 4.9

Adaptability: 4.8

Psychological skills: 4.9

Combat skills: 5

"I don't need your suggestion, Zion," Karma looks up from his watch ignoring everyone's gaze on him. Everyone in the room had a rough idea of his abilities and evaluations so it was a given fact known to everybody that he will be a formidable opponent.

Not paying heed to any of the intense curious stares, Karma spoke, "Skylar Brown, be my partner."

"I'm not arrogant or dumb enough to reject the offer but why me? My abilities are just average compared to everyone in the room," Skylar glanced at her own evaluation chart and let out a small sigh because it was just as she expected. She had always been just a little above average in everything in her life.

Name : Skylar.

Age: 17

Agility and speed: 4.8

Adaptability: 4.5

Psychological skills: 4.7

Combat skills: 4.8

"I just think I can make good use of you. The first pair is settled then," Karma turned his head away, immediately losing interest in the conversation, and stared out at the beach waves and sipped on a glass of cocktail casually.

Naturally, Skylar knew that it was a good thing to be his partner but she couldn't just read him. His eyes are attractive and mysterious, with well-defined cheekbones and jawline, and a well-built physique. Pupils as dark red as the color of red wine, tempting but at the same time, hollow and empty like they lost interest in reality. Skylar wondered about the secrets in his eyes.  It's obvious that any girl would like him because of his attractive appearance and intimidating aura though.

"I'll do it alone. I'm not too confident but I like to do things in my way," Damien said with a small, sweet, and convincing smile. His gesture seemed warm, and friendly, giving off a cute vibe, but his tall and muscular figure said otherwise.

'I bet he is the type to kill someone with a smile on his face. He has a pretty decent evaluation chart so, of course, he won't have any problem on his own,' Skylar thought as she rolled her eyes.

Name: Damien.

Age: 18.

Agility and speed: 4.7

Adaptability: 4.8

Psychological skills: 4.8

Combat skills: 4.8

"I guess we are the final pair meant to be then," Kathy said to Landon with a smile. She swayed her long black hair gently giving an elegant and attractive aura around her.

Name: Kathy.

Age: 18.

Agility and speed: 4.3

Adaptability: 4.8

Psychological skills: 4.7

Combat skills: 3.9

"Woah this should be fun now with a pretty girl on my side," Landon smiled at her and looked back at Zion, "You can continue and finish the explanations now." Landon's cold yet charming icy blue eyes met Skylar's eyes once. He smiled at her as soon as their eyes meet but she looked away focusing on Zion.

Name: Landon.

Age: 17

Speed and agility: 4.8

Adaptability: 4.5

Psychological skills: 4.6

Combat skills: 4.9

"Ok let's keep it short. The days that you will spend on the island, you are completely up to yourself in means of survival.  You will collect points by killing the natives you see on the island. They will have a red batch on their left wrist which will be activated only after they die. Collect them, and scan the QR code with your watch for collecting points. This island is abandoned but there are old houses or factories that you can use. Dungeons and seabed temples from where you can collect gems or for extra points, or things like food, medicine, and water. Some dungeons might also be empty with nothing for your benefit. Depends on your luck. In the end, the one with the highest points will be granted a wish or an enormous amount of money. If it's a pair then, one gets a wish and another gets points. Wear your watch at all times and don't die. That's all."

"When does it start?" Damien asked.

"Tomorrow morning. Tonight you can stay in this mansion, eat, rest, sleep whatever. The mansion is on the outskirts of the island so you won't need to come here at all during the exams. Everyone gets their own room. Have a good night then. And oh, the scheduled time duration or details for the exam may change at any time. Keep an eye out on your watches for being notified. "

"You are leaving out a lot of details about the game," Karma blurted out coldly looking at Zion.

"You all aren't kids. Figure the rest out on your own. I'm sure you would be first to do it anyway."

Time skip.

After dinner in the mansion, Skylar got out of her room and walked along the lush beige-colored walls and white marble-floored corridor to meet someone. She knocked on the door of Karma's room and waited for a while. The door opened after a few seconds revealing a shirtless Karma with his midnight black hair wet and only wearing his comfy trousers. His body proved his athletic and well-trained features with those toned and well-defined abs. Her eyes roamed around his torso subconsciously and she had to admit that it was quite a sight.

"I know that any girl would love checking me out but I suppose that isn't why you are here?" His honey-deep voice had a hint of amusement to them as his eyes met hers.

"Ah right. I just wanna talk about something." Karma nodded and motioned for her to go inside. She entered and he locked the door behind her. "You seemed to know more than everyone about the exam," Skylar leaned her hands on the window frame, looking outside at the view of the sea and inhaling the fresh night breeze, with the sound of sea waves crashing on the large rocks, "I'm your partner for the exam so mind telling me your secret?"

"No. I got the plan covered."

"Can't you just-" Skylar let out an annoyed chuckle and walked close to him looking sternly into his eyes, "Look, something like this is about cooperation too so-"

"I didn't choose you as my partner for that. I can do it by myself but you simply seemed amusing."

"Amusing? Be serious."

"I am. You are hot, fairly skilled, and got a pretty face. So just obey my orders if you wanna get through this."

"And what if I don't?"

"Then forget the exam. I'll take my sweet time playing with you."

Skylar slid her hand into her back pocket and took out a knife that she sneaked out from the dining hall earlier. Karma's lips twisted into an amused smirk predicting her next move and how she would make the exam a whole lot more interesting for him.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

361 36 30
Unable to age, unable to die. So many people want me, but they can't have me. They want to experiment on me and use my blood to make more people like...
47 0 26
[On going] Follow the life of Skylar and her journey to find where she belongs in this crazy world she calls life. Running away from home and getting...
601 65 26
Paranoia... has become my constant companion. Ahh... Danny, what've you gotten yourself into? Thought I was doing something... thought I was gonna g...
2.2K 212 44
Seventeen year old Skylar Midnight always thought she'd been an ordinary girl; she knows exactly what to expect when it comes to a person with causal...