The Tree of Blacks (English v...

Por ValentinaMontuschi

Alya Merope Black, twin to Sirius, beloved sister to Regulus and daughter to Walburga and Orion Black. The co... Más

Prologue
Number twelve, Grimmauld Place
The Noble House of Black
Alya's Dreams
Toujours Pur
Merope
Parseltongue
The Arcturus Black's Manor
Ophiucus
Checkmate
Koboro
The Muggle House
The Two Prophecies
Sirius in Trouble
Choosing wand
On the Hogwarts Express
The Sorting Ceremony - part 1
Potions and Dreams
The Slytherin Locket
The Forbidden Forest
Another Slytherin
Snakes in the Grass - pt.1
Snakes in the Grass - pt.2
Prophecies and Divination
Confessions in Waltz Time
Palms of Hands and Ponytails
Arguments in Grimmauld Place
The House Beyond the Gravestones
Under the Beech Tree
Punishment and Revenge
Forbidden Fruit
O.W.Ls Results
Expecto Patronum
Back to Hogwarts
First Date
Moonglow
Playing Cat and Mouse
Snake, Rat, Stag
Missing Snape
The Sirius' Escape
Ritualis Evulsionis
Prongs
Somnia Videns
At Hogsmeade
Valentine's Day
In the Owlery
Trophy Room
Amortentia
Stags
Paper Butterflies and Onyx Snakes - pt.1
Paper Butterflies and Onyx Snakes - pt.2
Unexpected Solutions
Dreams, Maps, Treasures
Threats From the Sky
The Secret Ingredient
Golden Sand, Scarlet Drops
New Scars, Old Wounds
Flying Lesson
Childhood Notes

The Sorting Ceremony - part 2

851 35 8
Por ValentinaMontuschi

The Sorting ceremony continued, but Alya was so immersed in her sad thoughts about Sirius that she barely noticed what was happening around her.

She heard Professor McGonagall call out the names on the list undeterred, but her voice seemed extremely distant. More applause followed, more groups of students cheering for the newcomers. Alya didn't even notice that her friend Melyssa had been sorted in Slytherin, noticing the girl only after several minutes that she was sitting next to her.

Alya recomposed herself, leaving aside her gloomy thoughts about Sirius. She concentrated on the selection.

"Potter, James!" announced Professor McGonagall.

Emerging from the group was Sirius' thin friend, whom Alya had already met on the train. He reached the stool with an air of arrogance and put on the hat. The word GRYFFINDOR echoed once more throughout the room and the little boy reacted with a mocking smirk, as if to say it-couldn't-be-anything-else. James Potter joined the Gryffindor table and took a seat next to Sirius, who gave him a resounding pat on the back.

The look of complicity the two exchanged gave Alya an immediate surge of envy. So, Sirius preferred the company of that dishevelled little blowhard rather than that of his twin sister. The realisation caused Alya fierce anger to mount.

Alya cast another quick look at the Gryffindor table and noticed that, not far from Sirius, sat the red-haired girl, who had been crashing into her on the Hogwarts Express. Another fit of pique took hold of Alya: apparently the Gryffindor table was full of hateful people.

She looked away in disgust and shifted her attention to the Slytherin table. A certain Severus Snape had just been sorted into Slytherin and Alya saw the yellow-skinned boy, the red-haired girl's friend, join them.

After a few minutes, Philippa Travers joined Melyssa and Alya at the Slytherin table. Both welcomed her enthusiastically.

When Professor McGonagall finished the names on her list, she went to join the other teachers behind her. The whole Great Hall vibrated with great excitement, invaded by chatter.

From the table of teachers emerged an old wizard. He was the headmaster of the school, Professor Albus Dumbledore. He was a decidedly out-of-the-ordinary person: he had very long, white hair and beard, and his eyes sparkled with a blue intelligence from behind his half-moon glasses. He wore a long, bright purple robe that he sported proudly.

Nevertheless, as bizarre as his appearance was, Alya couldn't help but sense the immense magical aura the Headmaster exuded by simply standing in the middle of the Hall. Without a shadow of a doubt, he must have been a very powerful wizard.

As soon as Dumbledore managed to capture everyone's attention, he lavished the entire audience of young wizards with his warmest smile, giving them a jovial welcome to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. After a short speech, he launched the long-awaited banquet.

Immediately, the large golden trays placed along the tables were filled with food, looking inviting. Alya, who only then realized how hungry she was, dived on the food like all her schoolmates.

When everyone was finally full, with bellies stuffed of delicious food and pumpkin juice, Dumbledore again took the floor. The Hall fell silent.

"Just a few words now we are all fed and watered. I have a few start-of-term notices to give you. First-year students should note that the forest in the grounds is strictly forbidden to all pupils. I have also been asked by Mr. Filch, the caretaker, to remind you all that no magic should be used between classes in the corridors.

"I must also inform you that, during the summer, a magnificent example of Slapping Willow was introduced into our grounds. It's a tree as old as it is admirable. However, I also must advise you to not enjoy its proximity and the shade of its foliage. It has quite a temper and tends to express its emotions with a certain... zeal." explained Dumbledore eloquently and, perhaps, mildly amused by the stunned faces of the students listening to him.

"Quidditch trials will be held in the second week of term. Anyone interested in playing for their house teams should contact Madam Hooch.

"Good. That's it. And now, bedtime. Off you trot!" finished Dumbledore in a cheerful voice.

In no time, the Great Hall was invaded by a dense horde of students flocking to the doorway. The Slytherin first-years gathered around one of their House prefects, a tall student with a pointed face and platinum-blond hair-he was the boy with whom Narcissa was chatting honeyedly during the Sorting Ceremony. He had a cocky expression, all strutting around in his long black robe, giving himself airs of great importance.

"My name is Lucius Malfoy and I am Prefect of Slytherin House." he introduced himself in a mellifluous voice, pointing with his finger to the pin pinned to his chest in the shape of a glittering P."I will escort you to your dormitories. Please follow me."

The new students followed Malfoy through the cahttering crowds, out of the Great Hall and down into the castle dungeons, where a damp darkness enveloped them. They proceeded to a wide stone wall, in front of which Malfoy stopped.

"Access to our Common Room and dormitories requires a password." Malfoy admonished them earnestly. Then, his face relaxed into a reassuring expression.

"But fear not, a simple word has been chosen in anticipation of your arrival at Hogwarts; I doubt you will forget it." he said, with a dismissive smile sketched across his pale face.

"Pureblood," he pronounced decisively.

Suddenly, a door hidden in the stone wall slid to one side, revealing the entrance to the Slytherin dormitory. The newcomers hesitantly and hastily entered the Common Room: it was a large, underground place, all built of stone. From the ceiling hung, from black chains, round lamps which poured out a clear greenish light.

On one of the walls, a large marble fireplace stood out, adorned with elegant elaborate statues, mostly depicting skulls and snakes. A warm fire crackled inside, and around it, numerous students had already taken their seats in the black leather and carved chairs. From the tall windows that propped up the wall, the dark depths of the Black Lake could be seen. Some aquatic creature peeped out, peeking curiously through the windows.

Malfoy pointed to a spot toward the right.

"There you will find our precious library, full of ancient manuals. Some even belonged to the glorious Merlin." explained the blond, proudly. Alya's eyes sparkled: it would surely be her first place of exploration.

Then, the Prefect mentioned a tall mahogany spiral staircase that led to the upper floor. As Malfoy explained, it led to the student dormitories.

"If you have any needs, you will have to turn to us Prefects," the boy finally concluded, pointing his pompous finger again at the glittering P pinned to his chest.

After that, with elegant bow he took his leave to join his classmates, seated at a long table placed near the library. The first-years stood there in the middle of the common room, dazed by all the wonders that surrounded them. Then, a few quickly made their way to the large windows, to better observe the watery movements of the lake.

Alya, Melyssa and Philippa, on the other hand, took a seat on a small black leather sofa near the fireplace, ready to exchange first impressions of that first evening at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Immersed in excited chatter, Alya gasped when she felt a hand rest on her shoulder. It was Narcissa.

"Alya, may I talk to you for a second? In private." she said without preamble. Alya nodded, smiling at her amiably -- she was glad to see her cousin.

Quickly, she stood up and followed Narcissa to sheltered spot in the room.

"First of all, I congratulate you on your Sorting. Your parents will be happy to know that you have been faithful to our tradition of belonging to the Slytherins. Remember to send them a letter to inform them as soon as possible." recommended Narcissa. Alya nodded vigorously.

"But I didn't call you here for that. I wish to give you some useful tips on how you should behave here at Hogwarts." the girl's expression suddenly became harsher. "It's essential that you always remember who you are and where you come from. And, above all, you must remember what your real goal is. As long as you are at Hogwarts, your duty is not just to grab a few excellent grades and win the sympathies of the teachers. As a descendant of one of the most prominent families of pure magical blood," Narcissa stamped special emphasis on the last three words "It's your fundamental duty to make sure you make the right friendships, with the people who really matter. Consider it an investment in your future, which will benefit our entire family." the girl then shot a fleeting glance toward Philippa and Melyssa, and let a slight sigh of relief escape.

"As for that aspect, I see you can handle yourself, however. The Travers and the Bulstrode are really good pureblood families. Keep these friends close, Alya." Narcissa let out another sigh "I can't say the same for your brother Sirius -- ending up in Gryffindor, what a bummer! That would be bad enough in itself -- but at a time like this, I could call it a tragedy!" whispered Narcissa, distraught.

Alya looked at her questioningly.

"What do you mean, Cissy?"

"They haven't informed you about Andromeda yet, I guess," replied the blonde, elusively. The little girl nodded.

"Well, Andromeda run off with a mudblood two weeks ago. A real elopement. You can imagine the terrible consequences this aberration will bring to our family. My father and Bellatrix are beside themselves with rage, of course. My mother is wracked with despair." Narcissa raised her blue eyes to the ceiling, exasperated.

Alya listened, wide-eyed; she could not believe her ears. Andromeda running away with a Muggle-born? What on earth had she been thinking?

"What will happen to Andromeda now?" asked the little girl, worried.

"I suppose my parents will proceed with the Ritualis Evulsionis as soon as possible. There is no other choice, if they want to save face." replied Narcissa with a cold shrug.

Alya shuddered: the extirpation ritual consisted of the cruelest condemnation, in her opinion, among the traditions in her family.

"One last thing," Narcissa said, interrupting her cousin's stream of gloomy thoughts. The girl's voice had become as faint as a breeze. "It would be wise for you not to reveal to anyone that you can speak Parseltongue. You must not mention it to a living soul, do you understand? No one. Not even to your friends." the blonde claimed, alluding to Melyssa and Philippa.

"Is it so bad that I can speak it?" asked Alya, desolate.

Narcissa's blue eyes softened for a moment.

"No, Alya, as far as I am concerned it is not. It's a rare gift, undoubtedly. Unusual. But, you see, it's not like at home here. Not everyone would understand. Not even among the Slytherins. Therefore, I think it's best that, as long as you're at Hogwarts, this information stays between us. I'd like to avoid any more uncomfortable gossip about our family. Do you understand?"

Alya nodded silently. A sudden grip pregnant with anxiety and a sense of responsibility began to grip the pit of her stomach.

"I think I've told you everything. You can go back to your friends. And, remember, your only goal is--"

"Honor our family," concluded Alya, serious. Narcissa looked at her approvingly.

The two cousins parted and Alya returned to Melyssa and Philippa, who had been waiting patiently for her on the sofa. The three little girls chatted about this and that for another half hour, until wide yawns peeped from their lips.

Thus, they went to the dormitories, clambering up the mahogany spiral staircase, whose handrail featured sumptuous snake inlays, the famous emblem of Salazar Slytherin.

Alya, Melyssa and Philippa entered their bedroom; their eyes once again filled with awe. A large, opulent room appeared before them, with four large four-poster beds, surrounded by green and silver curtains, and armchairs of the same colors. A soft, greenish light, identical to that in the common room, enveloped the dormitory.

As promised, the trunks left on the train, had been delivered and placed in the room: Alya recognized her own luggage placed next to one of the outer beds, the one closest to the glass window that overlooked the depths of the Black Lake.

The girls put on their pajamas and quickly slipped under the silver-green blankets.

Alya barely managed to mutter a mumbled goodnight to her mates, before sinking into a deep sleep, lulled by the soothing sound of the lapping of the lake waters, which were lightly banging against the room's large window.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

7.2K 130 25
Sirius Black has a twin sister who always want to impress her parents. So when they get accepted into Hogwarts their parents are happy for them. So w...
9.4K 236 54
(CHAPTERS WITH ONLY A '~' AT THE START WITH NO NUMBER ARE BEING REWRITTEN.) Elladora Walburga Black was the twin sister of Sirius Black, elder sister...
1.5M 60.4K 116
"Words, Black. Words and sentences..." Adelaide Rose Fawley, member of the sacred 28, The Pureblood Princess, heiress to the Most Noble and Ancient H...
166 1 9
Alcyone is the youngest daughter of the noble and most ancient house Black. Just like her sisters, her parents had her fate arrange by agreeing on an...