The Summer I Won't Forget

By chroniclesoftatiana

[COMPLETED] Zoe likes Kaito. Kaito likes Zoe. Summer has arrived in Japan, and so has Zoe's ex. Now, Kaito is... More

Author's Notes
Places Mentioned in This Book
One: The Great Kaito
Two: So Beautiful
Three: Someone She Loved
Four: Confess
Five: You Know Why
Six: That's Not Me
Seven: One Day
Eight: Touch You
Nine: For the Record
Ten: Head Over Heels
Eleven: We're All Friends
Twelve: A Nobody
Thirteen: I Like You
Fourteen: My Own Person
Fifteen: The In-Betweens
Sixteen: You and Me
Seventeen: Stay Close
Eighteen: Tell Me
Nineteen: Can I
Twenty: Be Cool
Twenty-One: Never Again
Twenty-Two: I Hear It
Twenty-Three: A Deadly Arrow
Twenty-Four: Save Myself
Twenty-Five: Stick it Out
Twenty-Six: The Question
Twenty-Seven: No Longer Untrue
Twenty-Eight: The Only Way
Twenty-Nine: I Am Now
Thirty: The Lucky One
Author's Final Message

Thirty-One: She is Free

53 4 25
By chroniclesoftatiana

Zoe's body feels leaden, sadness tearing at her chest. She incessantly rubs her swollen eyes as they wait at the bus stop near Don Quijote. She promised herself she wouldn't cry, but she missed Jesse and Marie the second they departed the lodge. And in a couple of days, she and Kaito will also say goodbye to Naoki and Taylor. To the land of the rising sun.

Despair clouds Kaito's features as well. He has treated Japan as his second home, after all. Besides, Nanako is going to stay there, and it's the place where he met the love of his life. Tokyo will eternally mean something to him.

But all things—either good or bad—must come to an end, for time is forever in motion. The world goes on, just as the sun sets and rises as the earthly forces demand every single day.

And good things ending may also lead to wonderful beginnings, doesn't it?

"Moving on doesn't mean forgetting."

Zoe glimpses at Kaito. "Hm?"

The bus halts, and the folding doors open; several passengers climb aboard. Before Zoe can get on, Kaito seizes her elbow.

"Do you want to take a walk instead?"

Her eyes brighten, then she nods eagerly. "I'd love to."

With their fingers entwined, they saunter away from the bus stop, dodging commuters and people loitering in the area. Kaito stalls when they reach the intersection, and the lights ding, indicating they may cross. Zoe tilts her head.

"Kaito?"

"Sorry, I just remembered the first day I saw you in Kichijoji station." He grins, breaths slowing down. "Have I ever told you I'm so glad we both live in Mitaka?"

She pouts, cheeks flushed. "That was embarrassing. Why would you remember that?"

"Because I followed you until you reached this exact intersection. I watched you, Zoe. You stood across from me, and you didn't move when I walked past you. I couldn't resist looking back. My instinct compelled me to check and make sure you knew what you were doing. Then I saw you dragging your suitcase back to where you came from, and you seemed like you were about to cry. I couldn't just leave you there. I had to step in."

The lights turn red.

"I often wondered if you regretted that, Kaito. I really felt like I burdened you."

"I didn't. Never. It was me who offered help. So you weren't a burden." Kaito kisses her knuckle. "It was a decision I made in a split second, but it was what changed my life."

Heat expands in her chest. The choice he made both changed their lives, and she wouldn't have it any other way.

He looks around. "Let's not cross. Come on."

Zoe follows Kaito, and they walk side by side, giving enough space on the sidewalk for cyclists. They arrive at Inokashira Park.

"The hanami was fun," Zoe says quietly, visions of the cherry blossom trees flashing in her mind.

"It was. It was beautiful."

Zoe quizzes, "Um, Kaito, I wasn't sure, but were you... Were you avoiding me that day?"

He scratches his temple, uncertain whether to feel amused or flustered that she noticed. "Kinda."

"I knew it! Why? What did I do?"

"You didn't do anything wrong, Zoe," he confesses, wincing. "I was just confused because I think I was developing a crush on you, and back then, you were with Seth."

Zoe chuckles. "I see."

"I'm sorry."

"Don't be. I get it," she replies. "I didn't want us to start on the wrong foot, too."

The two resume walking and then pauses in front the Ghibli Museum.

"In the end, we couldn't visit this museum. Such a shame," Zoe states, squirming.

The group spoke about buying tickets, but they were constantly sold out.

"We'll go when we return."

Her face glows. "Yes. When we return."

They depart the museum.

The ball of fire is not as blazing compared to a regular summer day, as if the universe is kind enough to grant Kaito and Zoe the chance to experience and appreciate the tranquil streets of Mitaka one last time.

They hear bells ring from behind, and the two get out of the way of three elementary children riding their bikes. One of them yells, "Sumimasen!"

(Trans: Excuse me!)

"I really miss riding our bikes," Zoe murmurs.

"Me, too. Those times were special."

"Yes. I don't know how, but it became my favorite part of the day."

Kaito's lips quirk upward. "Same here. I looked forward to it."

"Just you and me."

"Yes. Just you and me."

The walk to the dorm takes them an hour because they stop at every block to reminisce and memorize the route, the residences, the market, the retail stores and everything in between, afraid that some pieces they miss will consign to oblivion.

If only there is a way to immortalize every single place, every word, every sound, every feeling—maybe moving away won't be as heartbreaking. But the pictures they'd taken and her musings written in her journal could only capture so much.

Only time can tell.

"We're here," Kaito utters as they stop at the dorm entrance.

Zoe takes a good scan of the old residential buildings and mutters, "This place is pretty far, isn't it?"

"It is."

"But I liked the bicycle rides and the commute with you," she says. "I loved getting to know you. I loved having our own little moments, Kaito." She leans her head on Kaito's shoulder. "I didn't expect to love my stay here, but it gave me the peace, the lessons, and everything I needed. I'll never forget this experience. This opportunity to meet wonderful people. I've lived the best time of my life."

"So far," he mutters.

"So far?"

"It's been the best time of your life... So far. We'll have better days ahead, Zoe."

A surge of happiness washes over her.

"Together," she adds.

"Together," he reiterates, and he leans in to give her a kiss.

*******

Kaito and Zoe say goodbye to Zhi Ming at the common hall the evening before their flight. They also reveal that they are dating, which doesn't startle Zhi Ming at all. He says he'd seen it coming since the festival. His reaction makes the farewell less sad. 

The time they've shared isn't much, but Zoe is thankful to Zhi Ming for supporting her during the university performance. He's a link connecting her to Kaito, a friend she doesn't need to talk to every day to know he's there.

"At least you're in social now. Wouldn't be hard to keep in touch," Zhi Ming says, munching his onigiri. "I thought I wouldn't be able to convince you."

"Oh, so you convinced Kaito?" Zoe asks.

"A bit. We were checking your--"

"Ah yes, Zhi Ming. It's all good now. Go on, swallow your food first," Kaito interrupts, grimacing.

Zoe's eyebrows squish together. "Hm?"

"What?"

"Nothing."

The next day, Taylor and Naoki meet them in front of Mitaka residential dorm for the first and the last time. Zoe's heart wrenches as she watches Taylor burst into tears, his arms wrapped around Kaito, and she's unable to stop herself from weeping when Naoki joins in, too.

"Come on... Zoe..." Taylor croaks, eyes red, gesturing for her to come.

Although Zoe drowns in in sorrow, her soul takes flight, a glimmer of happiness radiating through her. She said it, too. Distance doesn't matter when the relationship matters. So she won't forget. Not ever.

Zoe leaps, tears gushing down her face, and then she puts her arms around her friends.

She and Kaito settle inside the taxi, both sniffling. Kaito pokes his head out the window. "Let's play a game soon."

"Of course," Naoki answers as casually as he can, the skin under his eyes puffy.

"See you later, my dude," Taylor utters, his snot coming out. He blows his nose on a handkerchief Naoki tosses to him.

Kaito is silent on the way to the airport, his chin propped up on his palm, grief and contentment simultaneously pressing heavily in his ribs.

Zoe caresses his left hand fondly. "You okay?"

"I will be. You?"

"Yes."

Because Zoe is with him. He isn't alone. Not anymore.

******

Flight arrivals and passenger names are announced in the intercom, several uniformed staff and security personnel patrolling the area. Travellers march to their destination, luggage wheels rolling on the floor, while a few sit on lined benches, awaiting their departure time. Kaito and Zoe are among those who have checked in. They sit near the charging kiosk; Zoe's cell phone is plugged. She had used up her battery when her parents called early that morning.

"Are you hungry?" Kaito asks.

"I'm okay."

It doesn't take long before the two of them board with the rest of the passengers. Zoe's pulse races, her stomach and limbs tingling with anticipation.

Kaito loads their carry-ons in the overhead bin. Zoe sits on the aisle seat as designated in her boarding pass.

"You can scoot over," he tells Zoe.

"Huh? No, it's okay."

Kaito teases, "You know you want to."

She giggles and plops down on the window seat. Kaito half-smiles and takes the aisle seat, massaging his neck. The two of them look outside the windowpane.

It's a gorgeous summer day.

Zoe is flying home. She'll be back in her safe place, with her parents and her best friends.

But she's not the same Zoe who had fled her comfort zone about four months ago. The girl who couldn't choose for herself, who couldn't entirely love herself, who was frightened of uncertainties... She is no longer here.

She's leaving her behind.

******

Kaito grabs Zoe's and his luggage from the conveyor belt. "That's everything?" he asks, skimming his suitcase to make sure it is his.

"Yes."

"You really left your other stuff at the hall, huh."

Zoe mumbles, "New international students might need them..."

In truth, she wanted to, but she would have had excess baggage if she tried bringing all of her things home. Kaito already had a difficult time carrying her suitcase down without her beddings and kitchen utensils.

She glances over to the pick-up area and immediately spots her parents, craning their necks.

Excitement wells up in her heart. There's so much that she wants them to know about her. Her dreams. Her decision to reclaim her life.

"Thanks, Kaito," she says, clutching her suitcase. "Let's go."

Her love.

Kaito doesn't move. "You can go ahead."

She knits her eyebrows. "Huh?"

Kaito threads a hand through his hair, averting his gaze. And then she realizes why.

Zoe throws another look in her parents' direction. Her mother waves her hands excitedly, while her father crosses his arms. She darts her gaze back to Kaito.

"Go, Zoe. I'll text you when I get home."

She places a hand over her chest; her heart is surprisingly calm. "Together," she utters.

"What?"

Zoe grasps Kaito's wrist. "We said 'together', didn't we?"

"Wait, Zoe—"

And she tugs Kaito with her, her strides fast and light, like she's floating in the air.

"Zoe, are you sure?" Kaito asks, his voice laced with worry.

She gives him a smile. "I've never been this sure."

Zoe is fearless. She is free.

"Ma, Pa, this is Kaito," she says as they stop before them, sliding her fingers to fit the spaces between his.

"He's my boyfriend."

END OF SERIES

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1.7M 102K 82
Nolan, an unapproachable guy who ignores the existence of all his schoolmates, sleeps in all of his classes. Normally, this wouldn't be Chelsea Arnol...
115K 4.2K 37
𝐈𝐙𝐀𝐍𝐀 𝐊𝐔𝐑𝐎𝐊𝐀𝐖𝐀 "you loved me back to life" ★𝐖𝐇𝐄𝐑𝐄 Y/n comes back a...
107K 3.9K 53
[completed] Kaiden Pierce fell for Nathan Summers at a camp. After two months of pining and resigning to the fact that he won't see his one sided cru...
36.4K 873 9
warning;; may contain manga spoilers deeper into the story, although i'll put a warning so you can stop reading <3 won't always follow the plot! viol...