Haven

By JasmynTailor

Set in 1900 - Haven; a place of safety or refuge - He gave her a place to hideaway and find comfort. She gave... More

The Beginning
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Epilogue
Author's Note

Chapter One

2.6K 146 53
By JasmynTailor

Two more weeks.

Two more weeks and Isabella was going to be married.

Was it what she wanted?

Was it all that she ever dreamed of?

No.

And, no.

Settled by Isabella's parents along with Hugh, she was to be wed.

There was no choice.

But the unnerving part of marrying Hugh was that she could never love him.

He was honest, and she respected that when he told her the truth.

"I am not a faithful man, dear. I will keep you well-fed and dressed in the finest gowns, but I will not be faithful. I can't, it's in my blood, and I have no interest in changing."

The truth didn't hurt.

She didn't like him.

She didn't want him.

But it just broke her heart to know that her marriage was doomed from the start.

Love wasn't being doted on. Love wasn't about getting the finest gowns and caviar.

Love wasn't about having sex seven times a week. Love wasn't about getting.

Not in Isabella's heart.

She understood that love included being doted on and adored, but there was more to it.

Love was giving. Love was serving. Love was doing. Love was doing the little things that made your husband feel special.

Love was laying down your needs and putting your husband first.

Hugh wouldn't have allowed it.

Hugh had maids and butlers to take care of every whim.

Hugh had a personal assistant to tend to his needs, and Isabella would have one in two weeks.

Personal was much more personal than Isabella would've liked to know.

"Your assistant will help you. He will take care of you. I allow this, so please don't try to feel ashamed or guilty. This is how we will live, dear. And if he doesn't fit, you are allowed to find someone on your own."

The more he spoke, the more her dreams were shattered.

He wasn't a vile man. He wasn't cruel. He was only honest.

Isabella's stomach turned as she thought of being unfaithful.

"This is all wrong, isn't it, Father?" She said in a whisper while looking around her bedroom.

She knew the way God designed marriage. His path was correct. It was the way she desired more than anything.

But why was this her fate?

Why did she have to stay and marry Hugh?

"Father, please hear me. I need You to help me, and I will listen. I know that You don't want me to be in this hopeless marriage, please," She begged as tears stung the corner of her dreary eyes.

"Leave."

Isabella felt a chill run down her spine at the still, small voice.

It was peaceful.

It was calm.

"How could I leave?" She asked herself.

If she left, she could have a life of her own. If she left, Hugh could live how he wanted.

But where could she go?

Isabella wasn't ignorant of the climate.

It wasn't safe for a negro woman to roam the states.

If someone assumed she was suspicious or found her pretty, it wouldn't end well for her.

"Is it worth the risk?"

She didn't need to answer. Before asking, she knew the answer.

-

"Meet Hugh Gardner, darling. He will be your husband come September 15."

"Aren't you a beautiful thing? I've seen you around town, Isabella. I just had to have you,"

"You'll have no wishes unmet, dear. I will take care of you and your family. I don't mind that you're negro. In fact, it just makes you more enchanting, dear."

He took her hand and kissed it gingerly. "Soft skin, you're perfect. But I know you're a smart girl, I like that. A well-rounded girl,"

-

She was hurt that day.

Not by Hugh. Hugh was a stranger who wanted to marry her to fulfill himself.

She understood the carnal desires of humans.

She didn't understand why her parents decided to marry her off to a stranger.

Countless times since she explained to her parents how she felt about being married off.

They never listened.

Now she was leaving.

"Guide and keep me, Father." Isabella prayed before packing her bags.

The unknown didn't scare her. The questions filling her mind wouldn't deter her.

She had to leave.

With a farewell letter placed on the kitchen counter and Hugh's engagement ring beside it, Isabella hurried to the train station.

'There is no better way to say this.

I love you all, but I need to get away.

I could not marry Hugh and be in a loveless marriage.

I pray this doesn't come as a shock, as I have made my feelings known countless times.

Hugh has voiced his thoughts on monogamous marriage. He wants to be free to be with any woman of his choice.

I believe that love is about giving, and I couldn't give anything to Hugh, we both know that.

Pray for me as I pray for you all.

Know that one day I will return, and I hope to see more change than just in the season.

Please understand that this choice is what I feel to be the only and best one I could've made.

I love you, daddy and momma.

Bella.'

-

Livingston, Montana.

It was considerably colder in Livingston. Isabella's bones were chilled, yet she was glad to be off the train.

With her bags in tow, she started her trek to town.

"It's only September," She murmured as the wind blew harshly.

But she was determined.

There had to be someplace for her to stay in town.

All towns had hotels. But not all towns had hotels that allowed negros.

She knew the Lord would protect her and keep her.

Suddenly, the sound of a motor filled the silence.

Not many people back home had cars, and Hugh was the only one she knew personally with a car.

Meaning whoever owned the car was wealthy.

"Ma'am, do you need a ride into town?"

Isabella's heart dropped to her toes, and she continued walking as if she didn't hear a word.

"Miss," The man said again.

She turned to the man and smiled as calmly as she could. "No, no, I don't," She responded shakily.

"You stay safe out here."

Isabella nodded and slowed her steps until the man passed.

She wasn't stupid, but she wasn't afraid, she was only cautious.

"I'll be safe, Father. I'll be safe because You've got angels guarding me." She was sure of that.

Though, as she continued walking toward the town, her feet began to drag.

"I think I'll rest here for a minute,"

With one suitcase on the ground and the other propped up beside it, Isabella took a seat and rested her head.

The suitcases were hard, but they would do just for a moment.

A yawn escaped her lips, but she shook it off.

"Just a minute," Isabella whispered as her eyes fluttered shut.

-

What was a young woman doing in Livingston?

It wasn't a tourist town. It wasn't a well-known town.

Andrew kept his eye on the young woman as he drove by her slowly.

It was for reasons like this he had a car.

Sometimes people needed help to get around, and since Livingston was a poor town, he helped them as much as possible.

"Lord, lead that woman to safety and a place to rest before sunset,"

It was a simple prayer, but one just right.

After taking care of business in town, Andrew made his way back home.

The young woman was still on his mind. He hadn't seen her in town, though he spent two hours handling business.

He hoped it only meant that she made it without him noticing, but as the only negro in town, he would've heard something the moment she entered.

Since no one in town caused trouble, Andrew knew she wouldn't be hassled.

They were all good people who loved the Lord. Prejudice had no room in their hearts.

The people of Livingston got by on donations and trades with one another.

Andrew was the donor that kept families fed and clothed. His family founded the town eighteen years ago with a promise to care for those in need.

It was a refuge for poor people, all people.

His parents did all they could for the town until they passed, but the charity of the Quinn family remained as Andrew continued their efforts alone.

He took joy in helping people, service brought him closer to God, and it was all he did.

Now that he was forty-five, generosity was still in the front of his mind.

His trips to town were sparse, but he never failed to bring fresh farm produce and meat to the town food bank and church.

Though wealthy, he led a simple, calm, and quiet life.

He kept a small farm and garden to sustain himself and the town, it gave him time to be still and depend on God.

A bountiful harvest wasn't promised, but every year God kept him and the town well-fed, whether the crop was meek or grand.

"Lord, have mercy."

That young woman was lying on the grass with her suitcase holding her up.

He stopped the car and hurried to her side.

She was going to give him a heart attack.

"Goodness, Lord, You kept this young lady."

She wasn't hurt or even tussled.

What was he going to do with her?

Her hand was bare, but she was too beautiful to be unwed.

Andrew looked up to the sky and sighed.

It was getting dark.

He had to take her home.

Carefully, he kneeled and took her in his arms.

She was lighter than two bags of feed but still made trouble as he tried not to wake her.

He walked steadily as he could and laid her on the seat.

She didn't stir.

Once he grabbed her suitcases, he took off towards his home.

This was something he'd never done in his years of doing for others.

His mind was running with questions.

The loudest stood grounded.

What was he going to do with a woman?

The only woman he kept up with was his Aunt.

The young woman seemed to be going someplace, he could take her there in the morning.

He looked at her soundly sleeping body.

It puzzled him that she wasn't wearing a ring.

Why was she walking and not riding?

Where was she going?

"Help me to help her, Lord." Andrew prayed as he pulled up to his house.

He stopped the car and lifted the young woman in his arms, and carried her into the house.

One of the extra bedrooms was downstairs, which was a blessing.

He pushed the door open with his foot and sighed gladly at the condition of the room.

"Thank You, Lord, for reminding me to keep up this house."

He eased into the room, trying to keep from making the floors creak, and placed the young woman on the bed.

She still hadn't moved.

"When she wakes, she ought to be worried." He murmured as he went to get her suitcases.

Taking a notepad from the kitchen, he quickly wrote a note to keep her from panicking.

When he returned to the bedroom, he placed her suitcases on the floor and the note on the bedside table.

"Blessed are You, Lord, for protecting this lady." Andrew turned on the lamp and left her to sleep.

What was he going to do when she woke up?

What was she going to do when she woke up?

-

Author's Note

I was going to add more. I have much more in mind for the first chapter, but God helped me to see that I need some suspense.

I can say this, whatever your assumption is, it's not right...haha!

However, I'd still like to know what you think is going to lead to Andrew and Isabella coming together and getting married.

I missed this so much, y'all. Writing and connecting with y'all is really something special.

Bye for now!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

4K 691 41
*1st place in Young/New Adult category of The Heart Awards!!* Story 3 in the Beauty of God Series Ella has big dreams. So big that the small town tha...
70.7K 1.6K 59
↓DESCRIPTION↓ (NONE OF THE ART OR PHOTOS SEEN ARE MINE!! CREDITS TO THOSE LOVELY ARTISTS) This is my first story ever, if you have any tips please co...
437K 15.3K 25
Blossom and Bloom Graceful and Tender - She couldn't believe her ears, or her eyes. Her husband, the man she loves, the father of her unborn baby, wa...
5.4K 185 9
After meeting in a smoky speak-easy during prohibition, two lonely strangers throw caution to the wind, starting a sudden and steamy love affair. Bu...