A Summer's Secret

By _cynical

Secrets come with a price. Asia Cassidy is about to learn that secrets aren't free (and are not that easy t... More

EPIGRAPH
Prologue
☼Chapter 1 [[THE SECRET]]
☼Chapter 2
☼Chapter 3
☼Chapter 4
☼Chapter 5
☼Chapter 6
☼Chapter 7
☼Chapter 8
☼Chapter 9
☼Chapter 10
☼Chapter 11
☼Chapter 12
☼Chapter 13 [[ THE TRUTH ]]
☼Chapter 14
☼Chapter 15
☼Chapter 16
☼Chapter 17
☼Chapter 18
☼Chapter 19
☼Chapter 20
☼Chapter 21
☼Chapter 22
☼Chapter 23
☼Chapter 24
☼Chapter 25
☼Chapter 26
☼Chapter 27
☼Chapter 28
☼Chapter 29
☼Chapter 30
☼Chapter 31
☼Chapter 32
☼Chapter 34
☼Chapter 35
☼Chapter 36
Epilogue
Bonus

☼Chapter 33 [The Revelation]

3K 142 22
By _cynical

33.

I stared into the blank white walls, occasionally shifting my gaze towards an off white wall clock that looked terribly out of place against the clean sterile white walls. Beside me was the IV fluid dripping in a constant imaginary monotone that seemed to deafen me more than Emerald's voice from the other side.

"Asia, I'm really sorry. I admit, I was stupid and overly dramatic but I never meant to hurt anyone, please talk to me," she said as she tugged on my arm.

I continued to pretend that I didn't hear her, my eyes still glued to the boring walls. My fingers were intertwined with Aiden's. I'm glad I could still feel his warmth. I thought we almost lost each other there for the second time.

"Asia, you can shout at me glare at me curse me forever but please don't ignore me. I can't take it." She continued to shake my arm but I was too mad and shock to even push her away.

I ran after her and her stupid little drama. I didn't even notice the vehicle right in front of me. She screamed my name and just when I thought I would be taken by the bright light, a body pushed me to the ground and I took him down with me.

Aiden's arm took the blow and we both fell to the ground. I was so relieved that my chest was able to cushion his head. At least now he was lying in a hospital bed with a broken arm...at least.

He was still sound asleep, I suppose, to numb the pain. His breathing was even, despite the cast on his arm that was slung against his chest. He looked beautiful, angelic and I was so glad he's still alive.

"Asia," Emerald started but she was interrupted when the door burst open, revealing my mom's very worried expression, my father, my sister and her fiancé trailing behind her.

"Mom?" I stood up, surprised. What the hell were they doing here?

She approached me and embraced me in her hug. I have to admit, I missed her hugs and her kisses. The kind of tender loving care only mothers can give. She was still holding tightly and I felt a sudden burst of nostalgia as I remembered her hugging me as tightly when I fell off my bike, the same heartbreaking hug she gave me when I left home.

"Your brother called, he said you're in the hospital. We were so worried. What happened? Are you hurt? Why is Aiden lying on the hospital bed? Did you call his family?" She bombarded me with questions I didn't know which one to answer first.

From behind her, I saw London rolling her eyes as she pulled Sam and Dad out of the hospital room, leaving mom alone with me. I carefully glanced back at Emerald and I was so glad she stood up and went out of the room as well. At least my mind wasn't on the verge of exploding in front of her face anymore.

"Mom, Claude is a total moron, he didn't tell you why I'm in the hospital?" She shook her head and I heaved a sigh in disappointment. My brother just made our parents worried for nothing. I ushered my mother to where Emerald sat, before I answered her questions, beginning with how we ended up in the hospital.

My mom gave me a sad smile and I hugged her in return. I was just glad to have someone to talk to, I was glad to have been able to let it all out, "thanks mom."

When we broke away from each other, my mother once again smiled at me, "you're lucky you have him."

I let out a nervous laugh, "yeah if he didn't jump in to save me-"

"No darling, you're lucky to have a boy like Aiden to love you like that. Nobody is perfect A and he may have done something before that pushed us to avoid him but he proved that he really loves you. No person would jump in front of a vehicle if he didn't love a person in the first place."

I thought it would be awkward to hear your mother talk about stuff like that but it wasn't awkward in anyway. In fact her words felt comforting, "mom do, do you forgive him?"

She nodded her head, "I've always liked that boy and he never fails to prove to me that he loves you...no matter what."

I laughed, "no matter what."

My mom's gaze fell towards Aiden and I turned my head to see him lock gaze with my mom as if they were in some sort of mind communication.

"Well, I'll leave you two alone," my mom said as she stood from her seat, "I'll have to call your mom," she smiled at Aiden.

"Thanks, Mrs. Cassidy," he said in a sleepy tone before giving her a warm smile.

I followed mom as she went out of the room before returning my gaze back at Aiden who was now trying to sit up with the aid of his uninjured arm.

"Asia we need to talk."

My heart thumped against my chest, "damn it Aid, don't ever start a conversation like that."

He laughed but remembered that his body still hurt, "err, yeah but I think it's time you finally know the truth."

The truth? I stared at Aiden who was now looking at me with his eyes filled with sadness. Was it right to feel nervous and excited at the same time? To finally be able to know what happened? I sat beside him and reached my hand so our fingers entwined once again.

~

Well it started as a beautiful summer afternoon, we just finished our favorite ice cream, yours was of course strawberry and mine was Pistachio. I know, your most hated flavor.

"Asia, remember your end of the dare," I said, putting on my most prized leather jacket.

You beautiful smile turned into a frown, "can we just forget about it? You know I really hate motorcycles," you said with a pout.

"And you know how much I adored rollercoasters!" I replied with sarcasm, "I did my end of the deal Asia, it's your turn."

"I have a bad feeling about this," you muttered as you dragged your feet towards the motorcycle.

You kick the side of the motorcycle, your arms crossed across your chest, "what if I don't get on?"

I raised my brow, "I'm going to kiss you-"

"OH MY GOD AIDEN SKIP TO THE IMPORTANT PART!" I screamed as I hid my face behind my hands.

So okay I decided to carry you so you would ride the motorcycle. You wore a beautiful sun dress with a light shade of blue. You smelled like strawberries like you always do.I smiled in victory as I put on a helmet on your head but you were so stubborn, you didn't want to wear it, "you want me to enjoy this ride? I won't be able to do so with this thing on," you said.

I tried to convince you but well I also wanted you to ride the damn motorcycle. I thought you would enjoy the exhilarating feeling, most especially when your hair gets tangled as we dash through the wind. I thought I was giving you the best day of your life.

We drove through the highway and I was so thrilled to hear your screams of enjoyment as you raised your hands up in the air. Your giggles and laughter were so contagious, so I drove faster, through the clover fields and to the setting sun.

Soon you wrapped your arms around my waist and laid your head against my back, "I love you Aid," you shouted. I felt elated of course but I wasn't expecting that, that would be the last 'I love you' I would hear from you.

We were speeding and we made a turn on this narrow road, unfortunately there was a vehicle ahead. We were fast, but he was fast and drunk.

I had my helmet on so I just had a broken rib when I crawled towards you. The smell of gasoline and burning rubber filled my nostrils, but the sight of your limp body almost killed me. I rushed towards you, despite the difficulty I had in breathing.

"Asia, wake up," I said as I shook you, but you remained unconscious and blood was soaking your blonde hair, running down your face.

I prayed to all heavens that they keep you alive. I don't care about the consequences I might face I just prayed and prayed that you'll come out of this alive.

Blood and tears. We were both soaked in blood and tears, and I never felt so alone and damned my whole entire life.

~

I watched Aiden and I noticed tears streaking his cheek. His story broke my heart. He was beating himself up and my family bullied him, just because we unfortunately encountered a drunk driver? Why was Aiden being blamed for everything?

"Wow," I breathed.

"Yeah you can hate me now. At least your mom forgives me," he said with a forced chuckle.

"I don't hate you," I replied. I still can't believe this. I thought the big revelation would be something that would make me run out of Aiden's room just like the stuff that happens on soap operas but I just sat there, my brain on the brink of self destruction. A new found loathing at everyone for putting us through all this.

Yes, Aiden was to blame for letting me ride on the motorcycle, but in the first place. I dared him to ride a rollercoaster, anything could happen while he did his dare, it was just so unfortunate that something happened to me when I did my end of the bargain. Was it really solely Aiden's fault?

"Nobody even blamed the freakin drunk driver?" I asked Aiden angrily.

He replied with a slight laughter, "you see A, that's the thing."

"What's the thing?" Oh great, so turns out my so called "accident" is now a novel worthy mystery story. Great, just great.

"I took all the blame," he replied nonchalantly.

"You are an idiot," I said and I wanted to hit him if he weren't hurt in the first place.

"I know, but I love your family as much as I love you."

"So you decided to take all the blame so you could come out the hero, oh wait so they could hate you to the point of allowing me to forget everything about us, huh?"

"Wow, I didn't expect you to be so mad."

"Aiden I'm mad because everyone is such an idiot, and that includes you...idiot."

"Asia, I love your family. I'll do anything for them, even take the blame for them."

Shivers ran down my spine at his last words but my mind was still burning from curiosity and anger, "what do you mean?"

Aiden was hesitant, probably realizing that he went out of line. He was about to say something he wasn't intending to say so in the first place. He stared at me and on his mouth laid a small smile.

Right on cue a certain blonde rushed inside the room. He was still wearing his suit, he was standing by the door with an envelope clutched to his side and a grim look on his face.

"My conscience couldn't take it if he was even partially to blame for what happened to his sister," Aiden said as his eyes met Claude's.

AN

I dedicate this chapter to my lovely mother who is always there for me. I love you so much mom. This chapter goes to all the mom's of my wonderful readers as well. Happy Mothers Day to all mothers!

with love always,

Ree

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134K 2.6K 52
‼️[editing] ‼️ (No Plot Chancing just better writing and some SMALL chances to make the book better) 𝟷# 𝚋𝚘𝚘𝚔 𝚢𝚘𝚞𝚛𝚜 𝚜𝚎𝚛𝚒𝚎𝚜 𝚂𝚑𝚎 𝚑...
1M 26.5K 91
#17 in teen fiction (28/12/18) #7 in girls (02/01/19) #14 in teen fiction (15/04/19) #3 in boys (10/11/19) PUBLISHED✅: 15/06/17 COMPLETED FULLY✅: 06...
64.5K 2.1K 58
(Sequel to The Disguised Billionaire) Secrets are hard to keep. That's the universal fact that people are completely aware of. So why hide a secret...
7K 180 30
"Do you really love me?" What happens when an introverted girl meets one of the most popular guys in school? Nothing good, let me tell you that. She'...