Why ?

By Adana1007

Carmen has to go and rescue Gray in the Himalayas, but all doesn't go according to plan, leading to her captu... More

Author's note
The failure of an escape
The forced return
Painful rules
The resistance
A bad message
Doubt and escape
The punishment
The Deal
Your one true ennemy
Destroy her hope
End of chapter 10
Interlude: Coach Brunt's lesson
AN
Interlude : Countess Cleo's lesson
An Unexpected Collaboration
Painful memories
A Cornelian Choice
Stifle her last light
Monitoring a sheep
The compassion of an enemy
The last chance plan
Interlude: A normal day
Black Sheep or Carmen ?
Too late ?
A complicated reconstruction
Interlude : A Faculty Caper
Interlude : A Faculty Caper (part 2)
Interlude: Shadows of Sadness
Interlude : A Faculty Caper (part 3)
Interlude : A Faculty Caper part 4

Interlude: high risk dinner

241 4 0
By Adana1007

A/N: For ease of writing and understanding, I'm going to name the guard who was assigned to her in the last chapter. I have no idea so I'll name him James for now. I'll let you choose his name (or codename as you like), so give me your ideas and I'll definitely name him in the next chapter.

*Noise of conflict in the background*

That's okay you told them let me take over.

Hi guys ! Remember me ? The one who wrote the other two interludes. I hope you like this one and I'll warn you right away. On some things it can be borderline, but remember, the Faculty isn't really nice. They enjoy putting down and hurting Carmen. I hope you will like it, in the meantime I say good reading and see you soon !

Carmen POV

My knees were aching from being in that position for so long. I had been kneeling between the seats of Countess Cleo and Professor Maelstrom for some time. Cookie Booker was sitting opposite us. Each of them had a glass of wine in their hand, they were talking about operas and many other subjects. I had long since stopped listening to their conversations, knowing full well that they weren't going to talk to me. When the professors put me on their private jet and made me kneel down, I was strictly forbidden to make any noise. They sat in the seats on either side and a few moments later the VILE bookkeeper arrived in turn. When she saw me she froze and I could have sworn I heard Professor Maelstrom snigger at her astonishment. He had then spoken up and pissed Cookie Booker off even more.

"Take a seat Mrs. Booker. The girl won't attack you...at least not until she's told to." She had glared at him and taken her seat while wanting to start a conversation with the Countess who was on her phone.

Returning to the present moment, I could see the teachers glancing at me from time to time to make sure I was continuing to behave when I see out of the corner of my eye the Countess lowering her empty wine glass towards me. Understanding this, I take the bottle and refill it by half, then Professor Maelstrom lowers his in turn. Once done, I put the bottle back on the low table in front of them. As I put it back down, I look up and see Cookie Booker looking at me strangely.

"How did you do for her ? I've only heard rumours..." Cookie Booker asks while making a small gesture towards me. Professor Maelstrom, being on my right, reaches his left arm over the armrest to reach my hair. He runs his hand through it and strokes it. I tense up, not liking this gesture and finding it particularly dehumanizing. And he knows it ! He pretends it's a nice gesture and that it means I haven't pissed them off. It's like he's reducing me to nothing more than an animal. The first time he had done this, I had involuntarily withdrawn from his grip as a reflex. To say he wasn't happy would be an understatement... He had made me whip to the limit of unconsciousness, to the point where I begged him to end my suffering and kill me. He had asked me if I preferred this pain to his 'reassuring' gesture. That day I fully understood that all four of them owned me completely and that I would never again have a say on my life, including what I like or don't like. I refocus just in time to hear the Professor's response.

"It only took a few lessons to teach her her place and make her docile. Isn't that right dear?" He squeezes a handful of my hair in warning and I nod quickly before he finally loosens his grip and withdraws his hand.

"Afterwards, ensuring her daily punishment and only giving food as a reward has weakened her, as well as forcing her to obey and beg for our kindness." As the Countess finishes her sentence, Cookie looks at my many scars and gives me a haughty look, apparently pleased with how they treat me. She must see this as payback for all the water balloon jokes. I cower as an electric shock runs through my body. I hold back a cry of pain in extremis.

"Back straight, Black Sheep." Countess Cleo tells me sternly. Under the gaze of the three, I reposition myself correctly. As they resume their conversations, Dash Haber enters the room and announces that we have just landed. They get up and move towards the exit before the Countess turns to me.

"You can get up Black Sheep." I stand up and walk behind them. As I approach the ramp to get down, James comes over, grabs my shoulder and keeps me moving. I immediately notice the sun high in the sky which warms me slightly. So it's late spring, if not summer. I want to stay longer and enjoy it but the guard has other plans. On the tarmac, a black limousine with dark tinted windows is waiting for us and I see Vlad open the door. The professors and the bookkeeper enter followed by Dash. James pushes me inside and makes me kneel on the floor while taking the seat next to me. On my other side, Dash looks uncomfortable being so close to me. The professors and Cookie Booker are sitting across from me. I'm quickly forgotten, preferring to look at the landscape outside. From the views, I would say we are in the Middle East, but nothing can tell me the exact location. After a few hours of driving, I slowly see the sun starting to set. The car stops and everyone gets out. I exit and the view is breathtaking. A sumptuous mansion stands before us and with the sun setting, it's a dazzling sight. Professor Maelstrom turns to me and addresses James.

"Is everything prepared for her ?"

I lose the rest of the conversation and stare at the horizon in the distance, enjoying the rare sight that I am afforded. A slight electric shock brings me out of my contemplation and I see the professors and the bookkeeper almost at the door. I hurry to catch up with them, and once inside the Professor signals me to follow him. We go down several flights of stairs before Professor Maelstrom opens a door that seems to lead to a cellar of some sort. Several storage crates dot the room and in the darkest corner I see a small cage. My confusion must be showing on my face because I hear the Professor snicker (the same one he has every time he knows something I'm not going to like) before he walks over and opens the small door.

"Come in, my dear." I walk forward with my head down and confused about what I could have done wrong to deserve this treatment. "And don't make that face, this decision was only taken for your own good and safety. The Countess is afraid that you might damage or soil something in her manor. And you wouldn't want to incur her wrath ?"

"No, Professor." I duck down and sit inside. The height is so low, that even sitting down I have to lean forward. James (who has arrived in the meantime) places a glass of water with a small piece of stale bread in front of me before the Professor closes the door and locks it with a large padlock. He straightens up, puts the key in his pocket and leaves the room. Before he walks out the door, he turns around one last time to tell me to get some rest because tomorrow will be 'busy'. Hungry, I eat, then try to find a not too painful position for the night.

Dash Haber POV

I reluctantly walked back into the dusty room the Countess sent me to. I had to get the girl back as soon as possible. Like a majority of VILE agents, I wondered why the Faculty kept the number one threat alive. I had once asked the Countess this question and she had told me that the affairs of the Faculty were none of my business. She had been in a bad mood in the weeks that followed and I know that every operative who had dared to ask one of the professors had received the same response. Whether the Faculty knew it or not, we talked a lot amongst ourselves, and there were many rumours of her treatment bordering on dehumanisation. And from what I've observed since yesterday, it seems that they are true. Every square inch of her skin is covered with scars or wounds still healing, and last night they made her sleep in an animal cage. I unlock and open the door. She's curled up in a ball, trying to take up as little space as possible.

"Come out. You're expected." Slowly, she steps out of the cage and gets to her feet. I turn and walk out of the room. As I move forward, I hear no sound behind me. Thinking that she hasn't followed me, I turn around and see her behind me, head down and not making a sound, even as she walks. As if she wanted to be forgotten. I continue my walk and arrive in the studio. As I enter, I see the VILE bookkeeper in discussion with the Countess. When they hear the door open, the Countess turns and immediately looks at the girl.

"You may withdraw Haber. I'll take it from here." And there it is... Black Sheep again and again. Taking it upon myself, I keep my gaze neutral.

"Yes, Countess."

As I walked out, I see Countess Cleo handing over the black outfit she had been working on and motioning for her to go behind the screen to change. I shut the door harder than I wanted to.

Countess Cleo POV

With a frown, I see from the corner of my eye Haber leave, clearly annoyed. Lately a lot of agents were starting to ask unwanted questions about the girl. Many of them had had to deal with her and wanted to get revenge themselves. The separation and secrecy that existed between the agents and the Faculty was beginning to weaken. Even under control, she continued to cause us trouble. To pass my frustration, I shock her and she lets out a cry of pain.

"Hurry up. It doesn't take forever to put on an outfit and you're not the only one I have to worry about."

I see Cookie Booker uncomfortable with me being in a bad temper and unsure if she should stay. I resume my fashion conversation with her and Black Sheep comes to stand in front of me in the black and white waitress outfit. I wasn't too happy about letting her wear anything other than her usual outfit but with tonight's dinner and the presence of important members of the criminal underworld, I didn't really have a choice. We had gone to great lengths to hide the existence of a traitor when she was still Carmen Sandiego. Most of them saw her as an international thief with no particular connection to us. VILE must continue to be respected as a flawless organisation that no one can challenge. The outfit was mainly used to hide the scars from her punishments, as for the ones on her face, a little make-up and nothing will be visible. Thus we will make her look like a person under our direct orders.

"Hold still. I have some adjustments to make to the outfit." She stands still and I stick a needle or two in some folds. Cookie sits next to me and talks about the latest trends in Milan. About ten minutes later, I'm finally done. I call James in to keep an eye on her during her work this afternoon.

"Fine. Go get changed, then I'll give you your orders for this afternoon." She goes back behind the screen and hands me the waitress outfit then, without me even having to say anything to her, she kneels down. "Tonight is an important evening Black Sheep. The most prominent leaders of the criminal underworld will be present. Few of them know you and it is important that it stays that way. Tonight you will be a waitress under our orders. Gunnar and I represent the VILE Faculty and therefore the entire organisation. We won't tolerate any deviation. VILE presents a strong and respected image. You must be above reproach or I assure you that you will suffer particularly severe consequences. You will go to the dining room to prepare everything and then come back to change." Her guard enters the room at the same time and makes her stand up. I then address him. "I want her back here half an hour before the first guests arrive. Don't be late James." He nods and takes Black Sheep out to get her to work.

A few hours later

I have only just finished getting ready for dinner when James returns with the girl.

"You can leave us. Go tell Gunnar that she's with me and that we'll be down soon to greet our hosts." With a nod, the latter leaves. I give the clothes to Black Sheep, ordering her to go change. Once she comes out, I make sure all the scars are well camouflaged before grabbing her arm and forcing her to follow me in front of a make-up station. I sit down on the chair and take the few products out of their cases.

"I'm going to camouflage the scars on your face, so stay still if you don't want to get into trouble."

"Yes, Countess."

"Very well, kneel." She kneels at my feet and I begin. About ten minutes later she looks as good as new, which is a little strange to watch.

"Any mistakes tonight, you'll pay dearly. When you have no work to do, you will immediately come and stand between Gunnar and myself, standing back."

"I understand, Countess."

I stand up and walk towards the door. "Follow me, we will join the others. From now on, you are forbidden to speak or make any sound until our guests leave." I walk out with Black Sheep on my heels. We make our way to the hall where Gunnar, the Cleaners, Haber and James are waiting for us. As we arrive, Gunnar approaches the girl and inspects her, genuinely surprised.

"You have done a wonderful job Countess. Absolutely nothing is visible..."

"Do you doubt my abilities Gunnar ?" I retort dryly.

"I wouldn't dare...Would you please unlock it ? We can't let them see her with her submission collar on." At these words, I pull out my remote and unlock her collar. He takes it off and hands it to his guard who puts it in his pocket. He ran his fingers over the scratches on Black Sheep's neck. Several stripes are visible, results of the many electric shocks she gets every day. Under the touch, she trembled and clenched her fists to keep from pulling away.

"It must be awfully painful..." I purr wickedly. Gunnar nods his head in agreement with a smile that could be considered evil.

"A necessary sacrifice to keep complete control over her." He pulls a black cloth scarf from his pocket (identical to the other waiters') and ties it around her neck, hiding the electric burns. "You'll behave yourself, won't you, dear? After all, we wouldn't want to ruin this delightful evening by punishing you." She nods frantically, as the first guests arrive. This evening promises to be... interesting. Gunnar and I go to greet the other underworld leaders while the Cleaners search for any weapons. Haber leads the first guests into the reception room and Black Sheep follows us with her guard. Once we are all settled, Black Sheep joins the other waiters, all provided by the various organisations, and the appetizer is served. Overall, the dinner goes well. Apparently, ACME has also caused trouble for the other organisations.

Maelstrom POV

As Black Sheep puts down the main course in front of the Countess and myself, the subject we wanted to avoid is brought up by the head of the Russian mafia, sitting next to the Countess.

"By the way, it will soon be a year since we last heard from Carmen Sandiego... It's like she disappeared all of a sudden." The others share their questions and I take the opportunity to take a look at Black Sheep. I see her shaking, so I take advantage of their animated discussion to grab her wrist and squeeze it in warning. I whisper dangerously, so that only the Countess (who then turns her gaze to the girl) can hear us.

"Behave, or else..."

She nods and takes a breath to regain control of her composure. I let go of her and put an end to the subject Sandiego.

"That international thief probably disappeared as she appeared. Without a trace."

"Still, I wish I could have gotten my hands on her and explained what happens when you disrupt my business."

I maintain my neutral gaze, enjoying this entertaining situation to say the least. If only they knew that the subject of their conversations is right next to them... The Countess puts a stop to this conversation.

"That will unfortunately remain a mystery."

The conversations resume and everything goes smoothly. Thankfully, no one notices the envious glances Black Sheep is giving the food. Sighing inwardly, I know I should have a conversation with her later about this. As the caviar was about to be served, I think I see one of Countess Cleo's rivals shift her foot and then Black Sheep stumbles and, in trying to catch herself, spills the tray of caviar she is carrying on the Countess's new dress. From the look on the Countess's face, I wouldn't put much stock in Black Sheep's skin. As for the girl, I don't know if I've ever seen her so panicked. All the guests emit small laughs and I hide mine very badly. The Countess watches the others laugh at her and then stands up.

"You ! Come with me." She walks out of the room and I sigh, already feeling the headache coming on when I would have to convince the Countess not to kill her for humiliating her.

3rd Person POV

Cleo walks furiously towards her suite, Carmen following with difficulty and apology, saying that someone tripped her. Cleo turns around and slaps her.

"Quiet. I don't want to hear you. Now hold still you little pest or I might reconsider my decision not to have you tortured in front of everyone." She grabs her upper arm and forces her forward. When she arrives, she points to her clothes.

"Get changed. Once done, you will wait for me on your knees in the middle of the room. Hands behind your head." Carmen quickly changes back into her usual outfit, not wishing to get into any more trouble, and then kneels down with her back to the Countess's dressing room, which changes into another formal dress. A few minutes later, Cleo emerges, clean, and with a leather belt in her hand. Observing that the girl has obeyed, she takes the collar and puts it around her neck. Then, without warning, she hits her back with the belt, on the still healing wounds from her last punishment. Carmen screams but doesn't dare move, knowing that it will be worse if she tries to avoid it. After a few minutes of getting past her anger, she drops the belt with a thud right next to Carmen. Her back is completely red, and it's likely that one or two of her ribs are cracked again. She walks to the door and starts to leave, ordering Carmen to follow her to the cellar. She enters the room and opens the small door.

"In your cage." Carmen rushes in and the Countess locks the door.

"No food or water until we get home tomorrow night. Expect serious repercussions. Your collar will shock you every ten minutes until we return." With that she walks out, back into the reception room and gives a look that is enough to calm everyone down.

"She's still alive I hope?" Maelstrom had leaned over and whispered in her ear.

"Unfortunately..." Was the only answer the Countess would give him for the moment.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.6K 113 14
Stolas, Millie and Moxxie all go missing. Who kidnapped them? What will it cost to save them?
115K 4.3K 57
[BOOK 6] 10 YEARS LATER... Ten years ago, Aspen left Beacon Hills for good and never once looked back. The pack had mostly gone their separate ways o...
39 2 1
-Post S3- After the rug is pulled out from under Nigel Braithwaite's control of the British SIS and subsequent disappearance, ACME remains to clean u...
37.3K 737 13
A caper gone wrong. Suddenly, Gray is in the midst of the crime scene once more. But whose side will he be on? Highest ranking- 3rd in #carmensandi...