Red Flag [COMPLETED]

By BlackVelvetnim

"I don't believe in miracles. And don't ask me about magic too. But I wanna believe this is all real." I got... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Chapter 41
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 45
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49

Chapter 24

540 28 16
By BlackVelvetnim

Third person's POV

Bogum was waiting for Irene. It was an unexpected visit. He wore his sporty attire comfortably. It had been ages ago when he dated Irene. He was surprised when he heard the news that his ex-girlfriend is dating a woman. At first, he was insulted but he overcame that and embraced that not all happiness can be only found in loving the opposite sex. He believes love does not limit to anyone and it would come to any form.

"Are you free today?" He asked the startled lady.

"What the hell, Bogum!?"

"Well, that's unexpected. You used to feel giddy to see me around. Don't I have the same effect on you?" He was acting as if it offended him.

"You're silly, that was when I was young and foolish." She kinda missed Lisa bothering her. She asked her for some time alone to clear her head but her girlfriend seemed not to get its purpose. Instead, Lisa would be hanging around after work and during lunch just to see a glimpse of her. It was cute but she had to ignore her. She looked around and had no signs of Lisa on the third day. Maybe Lisa grew tired swooning her that was her thought.

"Were you expecting someone else?" Bogum popped Irene's bubble because she was lost in her own thoughts.

"No, I was just thinking about what to have for dinner." Irene lied while the man eyed her suspiciously.

"Mind if I join you?"

"Look Bogum, I have no time for this alright? Even being friends with you drains me already so, NO."

"Wow, you really changed a lot," Bogum commented. "I know there won't be any possibility for us to get back together but to be at least on good terms would be enough. You are engaged and I get that. I am not here to ruin that." He defended himself.

"So what's your purpose of showing your thick face here?" She asked him half annoyed. Lisa was cute whenever she annoyed Irene. So she could allow the latter to annoy her but Bogum's presence just irritated her.

"You are good friends with Lisa. I just wanted to be close to you as well." He winked meaningfully.

"What is that supposed to mean? Why are you bringing up Lisa into the topic?" Her brows started to twitch.

"I want to court your best friend. And to start it right I must get your approval. I wanted you to tell me everything that I need to know about Lisa."

"Are you crazy?! You dated me back then now you're targeting Lisa?" She balled her fist. She wouldn't mind punching Bogum's thick face. She's up for any fight when it comes to her girlfriend.

"Hey, don't take it as a bad thing. Ours had been past. Lisa is going to be my girlfriend. I got permission to court her from her grandpa. You just need to help me, okay?" He confidently assured the fuming lady.

"Get lost I won't help." Irene walked away from Bogum but he was tailing her to the parking space.

"Alright, sorry if you felt offended. But I have pure intentions for Lisa. This is why I am seeking your guidance. Come on Irene, you have to help me. Your best friend is safe. I can guarantee you she will be loved." He was doing her best to convince her.

"No."

"What?! Come on now, please."

"I said no. There's no way I will let you date her."

Bogum scoffed due to Irene's stubbornness. "You are acting like Lisa's jealous girlfriend. Don't tell me you wish to hit on her too. Don't be selfish you already have a fiancée."

"Can you see this?" Irene pointed at her stilettos. And Bogum's eyes followed where she was pointing at. "If you will not get lost in count to 3 then it's no longer my fault if this heel hits your face." She said it without blinking an eye and this gave shivers to Bogum's spine. "3, 2..."

"Fine, I'll get back some other time Irene. You have to help me." He immediately ran as fast as he could. He knew Irene was serious and would really hit him if he won't leave her alone.

Irene sighed. "What were you doing Baby? These people couldn't stop from falling for you. How could I ever clear my head if problems continue to pop out anywhere?" She was talking to herself.

She couldn't deny to herself that she missed her girlfriend so badly so she went to their favorite Thai restaurant. She saw familiar faces from the MLF except for the face she had been longing for.

"Irene over here!" Bambam called her. "Come over here, join us." He was happy to see Irene like it ignited a new hope in his face. Even the latter was amused by their reactions to seeing her. Maybe because she stopped dropping by the firm.

She awkwardly waved at the group. Sakura vacated her seat to give way to Irene and seated at the next seat available. She noticed Somi just nod at her. She thought maybe Lisa shared with her cousin that they have decided to take some time off.

"Too bad, Lisa isn't around. This is her favorite restaurant, right Irene?" Bambam said.

Irene was itching to ask why Lisa didn't go with her staff. "Is she busy?" She was trying to act normally as if she wasn't worried. There was something in her guts that tells her something was off.

All heads turned to her. "What do you mean is she busy? Didn't our boss tell you anything?" Somi snapped.

"Tell me what?" It was confusing for Irene that all eyes were on her as if she knew something that they needed to know.

"Unnie my cousin left the country 3 days ago and we all have no clues where exactly she went to and when is she going to be back. I asked her parents and they couldn't give me a straight answer. How the hell you are also clueless just like us?"

Irene's heart sank instantly. She didn't know Lisa would be out of the country. She checked her messages and read everything. Lisa didn't mention it as well.

"Atty. Bae, we were all expecting that you can give us some answers too. We were all shocked 3 days ago that her uncle would be taking over all the pending cases. It's very unusual for Atty. Manoban is to be on an indefinite leave unless she's sick or anything." Sakura seemed in distress about the immediate change in the firm. "This is not her. She would tell us or leave a message if she would be away for some days. It has been three days without a word from my boss."

It pinched Irene's heart. There's nothing she could tell them. She was also clueless why Lisa didn't inform them. She was thinking so hard and figuring out what may be Lisa's reason.

Did I force Lisa to leave her staff? Worst, did she really run away from me again? I only asked for some time. I didn't want her to leave me permanently. For the last three days, I thought Lisa just finally respected her decision and gave me the space I was seeking. Did I ask for too much?

She felt guilty and had so many questions running in her head. "I'll call her." They were all waiting for Irene so she called Lisa."

The subscriber cannot be reached. Please try your call later.

She had no luck in reaching Lisa. "I'll slide her a dm or email. She should respond." She quickly typed a message for her.

"Baby, I miss you. 🥺🥺🥺"

1 minute passed...

2 minutes

3 minutes

Still no response. They let it go and just tried to enjoy their meal silently. Everyone bid their farewell except for Somi.

"Unnie," She was worried for Lisa. She had been meaning to talk to Irene but she's not so sure what to ask her. "Can I talk to you in private?"

The two went to the secluded part of the restaurant where they could freely talk. "Are you alright, Somi? Is this about my sister?"

"No, it has nothing to do with Yeri. Did you and my dear cousin fight? Like a very serious one for her to elope without giving as any signal?"

Irene gulped. She knew she was responsible for Lisa's actions.  "We did not fight like a major fight. We just agreed to have some time apart. She was perfectly fine three days ago. Even after we decided to have cool off, Lisa was just around like nothing changed at all. She kept bugging me to talk to her and that was it. She didn't mention she's going somewhere."

"She went home. And it was so odd that she went home. We all know she didn't like to be home. And she rather stays at her place. That's what bothers me these days. I don't know what happened afterward."

"What do you mean you don't know what happened afterward?"

"I heard Pops throw something. I was so scared to check what was going on. I thought it was best to wait for Lisa to come out from the study room but I fell asleep and I didn't until she stopped showing up in the firm. They were just having a happy conversation when Pops suddenly went mad over something. My cousin might say something. You know she's the favorite granddaughter and I would never expect the old man to be so worked up like that."

Irene suddenly felt guilty. She thought maybe Lisa told her family about them.
"Do you think she told your grandpa about our secret relationship?"

Somi's eyes turned red. "I don't know Unnie. But if she really did that then her future is over. She will be disowned just like Ten Oppa. But it would also put you on the spot. Pops should have called you already if ever. Did you get an invitation?"

"No, I wasn't summoned yet. This made me more worried for Lisa. It was reckless of me. I shouldn't put pressure on her. Somi we have to find her." Her fears about losing Lisa came back all at once. She felt nauseated and her knees turned wobbly.

"Are you okay, Unnie?" Somi held Irene. She felt like she would faint anytime.

"We have to find your cousin no matter what." Irene's voice cracked. She felt stupid for pushing Lisa away now she only regretted her decision to cool off.

"Count me in. I would trace anything at home which could give us a lead. She couldn't just run away. It could be Pops' doing which is making me fear it the most."

"Let's hope she'll contact us soon."
Irene swore that she would never forgive herself if anything happened to Lisa.

"My cousin loves you so much, Unnie and she's stupid enough to go against Pops but I know she won't let anything happen to you. She may do something that triggered him. Have faith in her."

Irene couldn't think of any possible place Lisa would go to hide but the Bahamas. But what if she's not there? The world is big enough where she is supposed to start looking when Somi already said Lisa's parents couldn't give her a straight answer.

3 days ago at the Manoban's mansion.

Everything looked the same when Lisa entered the place she used to call home. It changed a lot after Ten moved out. No one got to say goodbye to him. He just went away and never heard any news about him. The Manobans uphold a strict and conservative culture. For them, people who wouldn't follow the normal path or embraced their destiny shall never prosper. Ten was a promising bachelor. He had everything and all was looking after him. Except for the night, he brought a guy friend. He was a Japanese friend who studied at the same school as him. He announced to the banquet that he had no plans to find a suitable wife because he already found love in Yuta. The patriarch almost collapsed on his seat. He cursed Ten and Yuta. Even Lisa felt helpless when Ten was told to get lost and never show his face until he could think straight and repent about his sins and the disgrace he brought upon their family.

"Mom, Dad?! Is Pops around?" Lisa asked her parents.

"Are we not seeing a ghost darling?" Mr. Manoban teased her wife.

"I thought I heard our daughter's voice." Mrs. Manoban rode along.

Lisa rolled her eyes. "I was asking if Pops is around.

"What brings you here, my dear daughter? We thought you forgot your family ever existed." Mr. Manoban asked.

"Of course, I missed everyone here but I have an important thing to ask from Pops."

"Is there a problem in the firm?" Mrs. Manoban rose to face her only daughter. It was rare to see Lisa at home. She knew how scarred her daughter's heart was after her close cousin was disowned by the head of the family. Even Ten's parents were helpless to go against the will of their father.

"Nuh, there's nothing that Uncle Arthur and I couldn't handle at the firm. I have a personal matter to discuss with Pops."

"Your Pops must be in his study room. He'll be glad to see his favorite granddaughter." Mr. Manoban informed me.

"I'll be back." She grinned at her parents.

Lisa knocked at the study room before she entered. "Pops?" She saw him sipping from a glass of martini while leaning on his comfortable chair.

The patriarch couldn't hide his happiness seeing his favorite granddaughter. He was aging and his health has been declining but he never show any weaknesses to his family. For some reason, Lisa holds a very special place in his heart. Maybe because she's the spitting image of her late wife. He could bend the rules for her and he wanted nothing but the best for her. What he loves more about Lisa is that she never fails to follow the rules and always chooses the path that had been laid in front of her. He even knew about his granddaughter's interest in arts. And he was proud Lisa dropped it since he told her it was not what he wanted for the heiress. He wondered what would be their topic for today. Would she be asking about the eligible bachelor because two of them just came to visit him to ask permission? 

He couldn't choose which would be the best man for Lisa. He's not the one who will date them anyway. But he is both rooting for Taehyung and Bogum. So whichever Lisa will choose then he would give his full support. He didn't want to leave the world without seeing Lisa walk down the aisle. He wanted to witness her wedding. It would give him such fulfillment. Something his late wife had been looking forward but sadly she couldn't watch how her granddaughter would shine in her elegant wedding dress.

As usual, he peppered Lisa with kisses. "Ah, you are here. I told you to visit me often. How dare you defy my request?" He jested.

"Tsk, you shouldn't put me at the firm. You know how busy it is to work there. If I am really your favorite then I should be living like a real princess. I will just do a shopping spree and attend parties, Pops." She countered wittily.

"But you're not the typical woman who finds joy through having leisure in life. You are a hardworking lawyer just like your old man."

"Sadly yes. But I beg to disagree about you being old, Pops. You don't look like you are aging." Lisa admired her grandfather. And she sees him as a symbol of power in the family. But she talks to him comfortably because they are close.

"Ah stop saying that. I am a really old, kid." He dismissed. "What's with the long face?"

"I don't know Pops. Recently I can't find happiness in anything, especially in those luxurious items. My routine makes me bored a bit. You know I felt there is something always missing Pops." Lisa felt sad. "I thought being the best would make me feel so accomplished. I excelled in everything. I made a name for myself without using my family's name. Did it make you proud of me?"

"What are you up, kid? Of course, I am the proudest old man because of your success. You exceeded my expectation. That's why I am getting worried about you. All you do is work. You only pause when you got into an accident. It made me really worried. I would be at ease knowing there's someone who would devote himself to you. Who will treat you like his queen? But you seemed not interested in dating. That's really bothersome, you know?"

Lisa forced a smile. "Well, it's because that's something I find hard to swallow."

"How can I help you then? I wanted to understand you, my dear granddaughter. You know you can ask me anything."

Lisa thought carefully. It's going to be a hard decision but she must do it. "For instance, there are questions I have in mind. I've been bothered if love can be easily switched on and off?"

"Excuse me? That's one bizarre question. Ask me directly."

"How could you switch it off, Pops? I know you love him as much as you love me. Don't you miss him too?"

The patriarch went silent and weighed in if he should answer the question.
"He went astray and he should repent his sins. Sadly your cousin is really stubborn. I gave him countless chances but he was giving me so much headache. The Japanese guy he chose to be spending his life with had turned his back on him. He was easily persuaded by money. Look what your cousin brought upon himself. The man he foolishly fell in love with chose money over him but he refused to accept the truth."

This was the first time Lisa heard anything about his cousin and she could only sympathize with him.

"It has been 4 years, Pops. Why can't you forgive Ten?"

"I would never forgive any person who defies me. He betrayed me by choosing the wrong path. Why would you bother to save your cousin? Can't you see how brokenhearted I am because of him? Until this day I still hurt because of his wrong choice."

"Pops, what if the table turned around and it was me who fell in love with the same sex? Would you vanish me too?"

"What nonsense is that Lalisa!?!!" He threw his glass of martini. The topic that brought up the past already made him highly sensitive. "Don't dare tell me you are just like your cousin?!"

Lisa matched her grandfather's gaze. "What if I am exactly like him? Just like Ten and a sinner too. Will you punish me just like how you did it to him?"

"No, no, no. You never once go against me. You are a perfect granddaughter. That's why you are my favorite." He was terrified seeing how Lisa looked so serious. He won't accept if his favorite granddaughter would turn astray too.

"But I'd rather be imperfect and be happy Pops. I may be perfect but I am living in pretense. Do you think that would make me happy in the long run?  Just like Ten, I was born differently. My preference is different and I've been so scared all my life to let these feelings all out because you will be disgusted at me. I did my best to live as you wish Pops. I let go of my passion and embrace the world you prepared for me. I've been dragging myself to attend my classes and be on top of my game because I must meet your expectations. I couldn't afford to be slacking off. Earning a degree wouldn't be enough. I should be the best and even after college, I should excel in my profession too. But old habits are just hard to die. I am painting secretly and I had to create a secret room in my place to continue my passion. I've been selling my artwork anonymously. I am a nameless painter and I couldn't brag about my work because you will laugh at me if you know what I've been doing during my spare time. My life has been all lies, Pops. I am never happy about the path I chose for myself. If I could decide on my own then I would rather choose to be a poor painter." Lisa has never been honest her entire life to her own family. Only Irene knew about her struggles during her college days. Without the support system she was getting from her she possibly gave in and rebel against her family. It was Irene's idea to be the best in both. She encouraged Lisa to take the law seriously so her family will stop bugging her and then continue her painting as a hobby.

"Lalisa you are sounding like an ungrateful brat. You ought to give back to the family who groomed you. You are living in luxury. You have everything, how could you be so shameless? You should have kissed your family's name. Without the name you are nothing." Her grandfather was so enraged. "I will not tolerate your insanity. You will have to come back to your senses. There are eligible bachelors ready to give you love. Why would you settle for less? I never imagine you to be in the arms of a woman. Who is this woman who turned you into a sinful person?"

"She is not just any woman, Pops. She's the woman I am in love with and willing to throw away everything than lose her. It is hard to keep our relationship in the dark. I wanted to shout to the whole world that she's the one I wanted to be with so stop forcing any marriage that won't involve her." Lisa did not know she could talk that bravely in front of her grandfather.

Somi heard the shattered glass but turned a blind eye. She couldn't just barge in and go against their grandpa. She would wait until Lisa got out. She couldn't hear exactly what were the two discussing inside the study room. She waited for several hours until she fell asleep. She had no idea what time Lisa went out from the study. It was the first time to hear them have a heated argument. She couldn't think of any reason for Lisa to be home and talked that way with their grandfather.

A couple of hours later.

Somewhere unknown. Lisa woke up feeling the coldness of the floor. She was shivering. She still wore the same set of clothes. She stood to find the switch but there was none. She's inside a solid concrete which is just a bit larger than a regular cell.

"Where the hell am I?"

"Hello, Pops!!!! Pops let me out of here." She made a lot of noise which cause the other person in the next cell to yell at her.

"Yah, shut up." It was a man's voice.

"Where are we? And who are you?" Lisa was just holding the bars. She couldn't see anything but knew the voice was from the next cell.

"Lisa??! Is that really you?" The man asked as he realized it was a familiar voice.

"How did you know me?" Lisa was getting frightened.

"Idiot this is me, Ten." He chuckled. "Don't you remember my voice?"

"Oh, my God! Ten, it is really you my dear cousin Ten?" Lisa was glad to finally hear her cousin's voice. She felt relieved that she was not alone.

"Yes, it's me. And why are you even here huh?"

"It's a long story but you sure know I made the tiger angry." The two laughed.

"You are the least person I expected to be hanging out with me here."

"We're on the same boat, Bro."

"That's sad. You can always change your mind, Lis. Take back all that you said and please the old man. He will be lenient with you."

"No, never. That would betray Joohyun." Lisa accidentally blurted out.

"Joohyun? Your best friend? So you are really into her?" Ten laughed. "I knew it. You like your bestfriend, Lis."

"Please don't tell anyone about us. I didn't tell Pops who I am dating."

"Of course, that's gonna be the wisest decision. You don't want Irene to experience hell just as Pops treated Yuta."

"You are here for four years?" Lisa turned sad after the realization hits her. "Why didn't you do anything to save your ass?"

"I'd rather die here, Lis than deny my love for Yuta."

"But Pops said he turned his back on you and left you for the money."

"Huh, I knew Yuta better than anyone else. Does he have any choice? Pops made his life miserable for sure it's the best option he had."

"Aren't you being lonely here? If I can get out of here. I will surely save you Ten. Where are we exactly? I thought you were sent away to another country."

"We are, Lis. I was awake when I got dragged in here. We are in Doi Inthanon. Glad it is not somewhere underneath the mountain."

"Have you ever thought of getting out of this cell?"

"Don't worry they would allow us to get out once in a while. It's actually more peaceful here than the outside. Which is why I didn't bother to escape."

"Ten, I am so sorry. We didn't have the power to save you back then as we still are powerless right now. How can I make it up to you?"

"Don't mind me, okay? I accepted my fate. I just want you to do something for me if ever you got the chance to escape."

"Hell no, we are going out together. I will not go anywhere without you, Ten."

"You're still funny, Lis. You have to at least come up with a plan before being that overly dramatic."

"Okay, so what is your request?"

"If ever you got out you have to find Yuta. Tell him he shouldn't wait for me. I am breaking up with him." There was a lace of sadness in Ten's voice.

"Are you insane? You stayed here for four years and that's what all you wanted to do? To break up with him?"

"It's hopeless. I don't want him to wait anymore. I want him to live his life and find someone else. He's the most loyal lover. I know he's still waiting for me every day. If I only knew I could have broken up with him to save him from Pops."

Lisa was speechless. She could never bear the thought of Irene being worried sick of her. She was stupid to act all bravely and challenged her grandfather that she ended up in a cell in a close encampment in the middle of the mountain. She didn't know there was such a place in Thailand.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

53.8K 2.5K 10
She always thought she was aromantic, until one fine day... her heart starts beating a little faster than normal... which never happens. #4/ 38.5k bl...
16.7K 976 35
It started with Lisa visiting an antique shop and her spotting an old dusty photo. A photo of a young beauty that would change her life forever. Jus...
18.3K 1K 22
"Get out!" Irene yells while pointing at the door. Lisa is slumped on the floor, crying. She slowly stood up and went to the door, not sparing Irene...
STRANGERS By LVNA

Fanfiction

313K 10.8K 35
IX 𝒑𝒓𝒆𝒔𝒊𝒅𝒆𝒏𝒕 𝒔𝒊 𝒍𝒊𝒔𝒂 𝒏𝒈 𝒇𝒂𝒏𝒔 𝒄𝒍𝒖𝒃 𝒏𝒊 𝒋𝒆𝒏𝒏𝒊𝒆 THIS IS AN ORIGINAL STORY FROM MY WANDERING MIND. Please respect and do...