Everything

By laflor777

A sequel to By Sun and Candlelight. More

AUTHOR'S NOTE + A LITTLE SUMMARY
Chapter 1
Chapter 2 - Napa and home
Chapter 3 - After the honeymoon
Chapter 4: Wedding Shopping
Chapter 5: After the wedding
Chapter 6: The fallout begins
Chapter 7: Supporting Lauren
Chapter 8: Working together
Chapter 9: Returning to Alta Vista
Chapter 10: A hard day
Chapter 11: All Better
Chapter 12: The FBI
Chapter 13: Taking a break
Chapter 14: Options
Chapter 15: The board meeting
Chapter 16: Baby Making
Chapter 17: Home
Chapter 18: Working Moms
Chapter 19: Babies, Babies everywhere
Chapter 20: A Baby Hansen
Chapter 21: Repercussions
Chapter 22: Fixing Us
Chapter 23: Making up
Chapter 24: Camping
Chapter 25: Camping, boats and rain showers
Chapter 26: Camping love
Chapter 27: Bring your kid to work day
Chapter 29: Coffee and Clara
Chapter 30: Dinner with Clara
Chapter 31: Baby Talk
Chapter 32: Camila's birthday
Chapter 33: A bigger family
Chapter 34: Brunch with Clara
Chapter 35: Dinah and Normani
Chapter 36: Babymaking
Chapter 37: Fear and Hope
Chapter 38: Family Emotions
Chapter 39: Implantation Day
Chapter 40: The waiting game
Chapter 41: Both
Chapter 42: Sharing good news
Chapter 43: Big Sister
Chapter 44: Grandmas
Chapter 45: Grandmas and Dinah
Chapter 46: Cravings
Chapter 47: Lauren's had enough
Chapter 48: Nesting
Chapter 49: Getting closer
Chapter 50: A Baby
Chapter 51: Everything
ANNOUNCEMENT

Chapter 28: Family grill night

477 21 1
By laflor777

Normani walked out of LJCorp with Lauren, Camila and Lori. She turned as she got to her car.

"Are you sure we can't bring anything?" Normani asked.

"Nope, we're stopping on the way home, so we'll grab what we need," Camila answered with a smile.

Camila and Lauren were leaving work early with Lori, so they decided to have a spur of the moment grilling night at home. Eliza was arriving in town for the weekend and happily answered their text that she would be able to join in as well.

They stopped and the store and picked up supplies then headed back to the house. When they carried the last of the groceries inside Lori went and settled in the play area, happily grabbing out the building blocks and starting a project. Camila and Lauren started unpacking the supplies and Camila looked over at Lauren.

"Is everything okay with Clara?" Camila asked quietly, not wanting to bring up anything in front of Lori that might bother Lauren.

"I honestly don't know what to make of it," Lauren said, pausing halfway through a bag and leaning back on the counter to face Camila, "She said she wants to sell me her shares in LJCorp."

"Wow, how come?" Camila asked.

"Well, she claims that she wants me to be able to run the company as I see fit without any interference," Lauren answered, then she added even more quietly, "And she said her biggest regret was not being a better mother to me."

"Wait, seriously?" Camila asked, looking at Lauren with an unsure expression.

"Yes, that's what she said," Lauren answered with a sigh.

"Lo, how do feel about all this?" Camila asked, walking closer and gently holding her hands. Camila could see the indecision on Lauren's face. Lauren leaned into Camila's body and pulled her close stayed quiet for a few moments before pulling back and looking up at Camila.

"I don't know," Lauren answered. "I wish I had a better answer, but I honestly don't know what to make of it."

Suddenly Lori came around the corner and looked up at Camila and Lauren. Camila moved back from Lauren slightly and gave Lori a smile.

"Hey, little one," Camila said, "What's up?"

"I'm thirsty," Lori said, walking to the refrigerator and struggling to open the door. When it suddenly popped open Lori nearly fell back onto the floor. Camila chuckled as she moved closer to help.

"Let me get you some water," Camila said, pulling the pitcher of filtered water out and placing it on the counter.

"Water?" Lori asked, clearly disappointed.

"Yep, it's the best thing when you're thirsty," Camila answered, filling a sippy cup and handing it to Lori.

"I like chocolate milk better," Lori answered, grumpily taking a sip.

"Water is fine," Lauren answered, taking Lori's hand and leading her back to the play area. Lauren sat down and Lori's mood brightened considerably when she realized that they were going to play together.

Camila watched them settle then moved back to go about preparing the food for the night. She set the flank steak into the marinade then began chopping the peppers and onions. When she was done with that she pulled out the cheese and the grater and began grating. Her mind was on Clara as she worked, wondering if there could be any underhanded reason for selling the stock to Lauren. No matter how she tried, she couldn't figure out any way that owning the stock could harm Lauren. LJCorp was still making a handsome profit and there were plenty of projects on the horizon that were forecast to do well. Camila finished her preparations and washed her hands then moved to join Lauren and Lori.

"We're building a castle," Lori said, grinning happily.

Lauren was as focused on the project as she would be on one of her medical inventions. Camila couldn't help but chuckle.

"It's Legos, babe," Camila said, smiling at Lauren, "You don't have to be quite so ambitious."

"This is the section for the queen," Lauren said, smiling pointing out a completed large area, "Now we need a place for her dragon." Lori grinned widely beside her.

"Makes sense," Camila answered, giggling and sitting down to help.

A few minutes later the door opened and Ruby entered with Normani just behind her. Dinah followed with Eliza rolling the stroller holding Jeremiah. 

"ZaZa!" Lori squealed happily, running and jumping into Eliza's waiting arms.

Camila watched Lauren, noticing immediately that her expression showed the inner turmoil of her day. Camila stood and held out her hand, helping Lauren up from the floor. Everyone greeted one another and they all poured drinks and headed out to the backyard to relax and grill their dinner. Dinah helped Camila cook while Lauren, Normani and Eliza tended to the kids. Normani looked over at Lauren with a curious expression.

"I heard Clara was lurking around today," Normani said, "I hope she didn't cause any problems."

"No, she didn't," Lauren said, pausing to collect her thoughts, "Actually, I'd like to talk to you all later. I need some advice."

"Need help burying a body?" Normani teased, "I'm there."

Lauren looked conflicted and Normani immediately softened.

"Laur, I'm sorry, are you okay?" Normani asked.

"I am," Lauren answered quickly, "Let's talk later."

Normani nodded and Lauren changed the subject, bringing Lori into the conversation to tell Eliza about her day at LJCorp. They all laughed hearing Lori spend much more time talking about the donuts than she did on anything else.

They enjoyed dinner together, even as everyone noticed that Lauren was clearly distracted. After cleaning up Normani asked Ruby to take Lori to Lauren's bedroom and watch a movie so that the adults could talk. Jeremiah was lying in his stroller, sleeping soundly. Camila poured everyone a glass of wine and they moved to the den.

Lauren sat on the loveseat and patted the cushion next to her for Camila to take. She leaned into Camila who immediately put a hand on her back and rubbed her supportively. Lauren took a deep breath before telling them about her meeting with Clara, trying her best to give every detail of their conversation. Dinah could feel Normani's body tense on the couch next to her as Lauren spoke and she reached out and took her hand to try to get her to relax. When Lauren finished, she looked at Normani expectantly.

"I know you're not a fan of Clara," Lauren said to Normani, "But I'm really feeling conflicted."

"Laur, it's not like I dislike her because she made the cheerleading team and you didn't," Normani said, trying to keep the disdain from her voice but mostly failing, "She never supported you emotionally. Every time you got your hopes up, she failed you. I'm sorry, but I can't look past that."

Dinah squeezed Normani's hand gently before speaking, "Lauren, do you want a relationship with her?"

"I don't know," Lauren answered honestly, "I feel like I shouldn't, but there's part of me..." Lauren shook her head, unable to find the words to describe how she was feeling.

"It's normal to want a mother's love," Eliza said softly, "Don't feel bad about it."

"She's not even my mother," Lauren answered.

"Lauren, sweetheart, she took you in when you were four," Eliza said, "I know she's not your biological mother, but she was the woman who helped raise you."

"She should have loved you," Camila answered, resentment clear in her voice, "Eliza loved me."

"I'm not trying to defend her," Lauren answered, "But the circumstances were quite different. I can't imagine the hurt she felt discovering my father had a child with another woman during their marriage. Clara loved him. She had to have been heartbroken."

"I agree with you, Lauren," Eliza answered, looking back and forth between Normani and Camila, "I understand that you two are very protective. I am too. But I understand why Clara might have been emotionally unable to accept Lauren as her child right away."

"Well, it's been 25 years," Normani huffed out, "I think that's a little too long."

"Mani, it's not your decision," Lauren answered, sounding harsher than she meant.

Normani bristled and gave Lauren a long stare before crossing her arms and taking a deep breath.

"No, it's not," Normani said, unable to keep the anger from her voice, "But don't act like I'm being unreasonable. I was there for you every time you cried over her. I was there when she practically ignored your every achievement while praising Chris every time he took a breath. I hope she does regret the way she treated you. You deserved better."

A tear escaped down Normani's cheek and she wiped at it. Lauren stood up and moved to the couch. Dinah scooted over and Lauren sat down and draped her arm around Normani.

"You were there for me, Mani," Lauren said softly, "And I know you'll be there for me again if I screw this up, but honestly, Clara was right when she said that I never gave her a chance with Lori. I lied to her about where my daughter came from and I left. And honestly, Clara was never terrible to me. She took care of me, even after my dad died. It's true that she wasn't motherly, but she always made sure I had everything I needed."

"Everything except love," Normani answered, unable to let it go.

"It sounds like she wasn't capable of loving you at the time," Eliza said softly, looking at Lauren, "And that's very sad – for both of you."

"Maybe I'm not the best person to talk to," Normani said, "I've got too much of my own baggage when it comes to having a bad mom."

Lauren pulled Normani closer and sighed, "Mani, your mother was so much worse. If she walked in here, you would have to help me bury a body because I'd go after her myself."

Normani chuckled and looked at Lauren, her voice gentler, "So do you understand a little bit why I'm so worried about you?"

"I do, and I'm not saying I want to invite Clara entirely into my life," Lauren said, "I'm not even sure that's what she wants. She just seemed so sad and lonely."

Lauren stood up and walked back to the loveseat and plopped down and cuddled into Camila, "What do you think, my love?"

"I don't want you to get your hopes up and then be disappointed," Camila answered, "Lori either."

"Okay, to be clear, I will not allow any interaction between Lori and Clara for the time being," Lauren said, "I'll need to feel very secure about Clara's position before that happens."

"Can I say something?" Dinah asked, looking at Lauren and Camila seriously.

"Of course," Lauren answered.

"You guys have been so happy for the past few months," Dinah said, "Life finally calmed down for a while. Lori is thriving. LJCorp is doing great. Things are good. Lauren, if you want to explore a relationship with Clara then we'll support you, but you guys need to make sure your family always comes first."

"What do you think, Eliza?" Lauren asked, turning to her mother-in-law.

Eliza sat in thought for a moment before starting.

"I think people deserve second chances when it comes to family," Eliza answered, "From what I understand, Clara was never abusive..."

"No, she wasn't," Lauren interrupted.

"It seems clear to me that you want to give her this chance, Lauren," Eliza said.

"You know what keeps sticking in my head?" Lauren asked rhetorically, "When she said that we both adored my father. It's true. She's the only person in the world I have that connection with – it means a lot to me."

"Lauren, maybe we should talk to Dr. Grande and see what she thinks is the best way to approach this," Camila said, "If this is what you want, I'll support you."

"Mani?" Lauren asked, looking hopefully across at her dear friend.

"Yeah, fine," Normani huffed out, "I'll play nice if you want, but I'm not gonna lie. It'll take a long time for her to earn my trust."

"Fair enough," Lauren answered, "It certainly won't happen overnight for me either."

"And Lauren," Eliza said, "Even if this doesn't turn out like you hope, remember that you have a family now. We're all here to love you – no matter what."

"I don't think I'd take this chance if it were any other way," Lauren said, "Thank you, Eliza."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

363K 12.8K 138
(Camren gip) Book 1 (completed) & Book 2 (completed) & Book 3 (completed) & Book 4 (completed)
1.8K 71 12
The sequel to 'see you tomorrow night'. this is 2 years after their break up. once lauren is in her 2nd year in college. (Not edited)
25.4K 1.6K 44
Sequel for summer nights.
6.4K 331 15
Sequel to Care, enjoy!