Three's Company

Por radteens

Mona thought living on a farm would solve all of her issues. Her dream to marry a handsome hunk, who would be... Más

Full Description
Pt. 1: It All Ends Now
1. A Humdrum Existence
2. Compromise
3. Liar's Office
5. Questions
6. Call Failed
7. Nightly Terrors
8. Distraction
9. Bleed Me Dry
10. Dirty Laundry
Pt. 2: Ultimatium
11. Panic
12. Die For You
13. Therapy
14. Eye Opener
15. Stalker Alert
16. Handyman
17. Family
18. Heads or Tails?
19. Belly Dancer
20. Wake Up Call
Pt. 3: Delusions
21. Lost in the Fire
22. Faithful
23. In Sickness and In Heath
24. Menak Wla Meni
25. Old Faces
26. Kill Bill
27. Mania
28. Love
29. Pain
30. Everybody's Watching
Pt. 4: Darkest Hours
31. Static
32. Coffee?
33. The Hills Have Eyes
34. Thoughts
35. Bad Day
36. Eye of the Beholder
37. Distance
38. Weep
39. Foolish
40. Void
Pt. 5: Realism
41. Through Heaven's Eyes
42. In Bloom
43. Psyche
44. Until I Bleed Out
45. Voices
46. Urgency
47. Missing In Action
48. Begging
49. Nothing Compares
50. Dry Your Eyes
Pt. 6: Final Lullaby
51. Cupid's Day
52. Escapism
53. Body
54. Falling
55. Articulate
56. Wasted Times
57. Selfish
58. Revival
59. Flip A Switch
60. Where It Truly Lies, Pt 1
60. Where It Truly Lies, Pt 2
60, Where It Truly Lies, Pt 3

4. Déjà Vu

10K 587 243
Por radteens

After spending five years practically alone, the two months that had passed since the finalisation of Mona's divorce didn't feel anything out of the ordinary. Her new norm didn't feel very new.

He was still on her mind daily. She wondered how his new life was compared to her mundane one.

She wondered what his hidden secret that was no secret anymore felt like now that he could show it off to the world.

She wondered how his parents had reacted to the news. Probably with a lot of excitement. The same parents who she never got the approval from for being as they called it a 'foreigner'.

He had found them the daughter-in-law of their dreams, the polite sensible, all American girl that understood their cultural references and jokes.

The upside of her free time was that she was able to talk to her parents on the phone more regularly. She didn't have any siblings and no friends in countryside so it could get lonely at times. Her favourite cousins lived in all parts of the world, however not one of them had chosen America as their forever home.

Her parents didn't know about her divorce and she didn't want them to. If they did, she knew they would worry and insist that she came back home. She didn't want that.

Despite feeling alone, she enjoyed the simplicity of farm life. It gave her purpose to look after the animals and to breathe in the fresh air.

"Dalia!" The Arab wheezed out, placing her hands on her knees and bending down slightly as she tried to catch her breath. "Now is not the time to play hide and seek, you silly little bird."

At the mention of the word bird, the sassy little chicken clucked at her causing her to drop her mouth open in realisation.

"You're right." Mona muttered, sending an apologetic look her way. "That was uncalled for but I wouldn't have to call you the b word if you didn't constantly run away from me."

Another cluck, this one was less sassy and more softer.

She hummed in understanding. "I get it. You're a child of divorce and you're bound to be acting out during such a tough time in your life. I should know better."

Cluck, cluck, cluck..

She rose a brow. "Yeah well, he's not coming back so boo freaking hoo. I'm sorry, D. Tell you what though, I'll let you run away for a few extra minutes tomorrow morning for the heck of it, how's that sound?"

Apparently it sounded great for the chicken as she fluttered her wings, leaving her owner to shake her head in disappointment.

Dalia seemed to have a lot on her mind. She noted that the young chicken needed some intense therapy and ushered her back into the coop.

Was she losing her mind talking to her animals like their were humans?

No. Fuck no.

Her animals had feelings and therefore they were human enough for her. Of course, she would never admit that to anyone out loud otherwise she'd most likely be sent away.

She was half-kidding, she liked pretending, it kept her less lonely and truthfully speaking, amused her.

It was an ordinary Saturday. She worked out on the fields for a few hours, before wandering back into the farmhouse to find Otto lounging on his dog bed.

After a hearty dinner and some much needed self care, she got ready for bed.

She slept on top of the king sized bed in a white cotton vest and some boy shorts.

It was far too warm for covers, so she draped a thin blanket over her body and let sleep overtake her.

To most, her routine felt boring and unfulfilled, yet to her, it made her feel serene and safe.

That wasn't to say she didn't feel like she was lacking from time to time, but she also knew she was blessed to be living a life where she could chose her own alarm and routine to live.

Much to her dismay, the monthly allowance was appreciated. She was saving and creating her own business, it was a gradual process but she hoped her local farming advances would generate more attraction.

And certainly, they were. People were showing up more and more for her poultry and dairy farming.

It was keeping her happy and satisfied. Of course, she would not keep the allowance forever, and with the optimistic growth of her business, she would not need the help any longer in just a short few months.

Two months didn't feel like a long time. She had been able to sit without the noise and reflect on her life, she quickly realised that her life was nowhere near over.

If anything, she felt more free being able to live without feeling like she was holding a breath constantly.

She wasn't waiting for anyone to come home. It was just her and her animals.

That was all she needed and wanted.

Her light snores bounced off the walls as the darkness soothed her limbs. She had been sleeping sound fully when the loud thud broke her out of her hypnotic spell.

Mona was more than confused to be awoken. Her head shot up from the pillow, squinting hard as she made out the numbers on her alarm clock.

Three forty-four. Am.

This time the noise sounded less muffled and more like a knock. Specifically, a knock on the door.

She laid there for many minutes, waiting for it to stop. However, it didn't stop.

It continued. On and on and on, until she groaned breathlessly and yanked her tired body out of the bed.

Luckily, the wide awake Otto chased her down the stairs, wanting to be her knight in shining armour as always so she didn't feel scared.

She knew her German shepherd would be loud enough to alert someone of danger if she was in trouble.

When she looked through the peephole and met the alarming sight of the caller, she knew for definite that she was not in trouble and that the concerned dog would be elevated with joy at their nighttime guest.

The door swung open with such little force.

She stood there, watching in confusion as the man lifted his glassy eyes to her.

Before he could open his mouth and say anything, the fur ball didn't waste anytime jumping up and down before tackling the guest.

"Shit, easy there, boy." His familiar voice said, bending slightly down to ruffle up the dog's head. "Easy, Otto."

She could not believe her eyes, asking herself if she was dreaming.

What on earth was he doing at her door?

Heath stood there in a pair of sweats and slides. Clearly he had been asleep or so she thought until she spotted the small bottle of vodka in his left hand.

The same hand that had the gold band on his ring finger. She didn't want to point it out, but it got her thinking.

Why was he still wearing something that signified their marriage? Shouldn't he be wearing a different band if he's getting married to someone else?

Well, she didn't know if he was getting married. That was something she had suspected happened after he had moved away to wherever he went.

He looked different. His curly hair longer than usual and his beard all scruffy.

Her confusion didn't last long as he stopped petting Otto and acknowledged her.

"Hey, Mo." He said, causing her to blink once, twice, and then she came down to reality.

"Wha-" the words jammed in her throat, and she cleared it before trying again. "What are you doing here?"

"I've come to visit you," Heath explained seriously, though he didn't stop there. "You were on my mind tonight and I had to see how you were doing. It was only a three hour drive, so I thought why the fuck not. How are you doing, Mo? You been okay?"

"Uh, yeah." Then her frown became deeper. "Wait a minute, did you say a three hour drive?"

"Mm. Don't worry, I had someone drive me. I know you don't like it when I drink and drive."

Obviously she didn't like him drinking and driving. What kind of person would like anyone doing that?

"That's... thoughtful. I guess. But is there a reason why you drove three hours down to see me?" She questioned, glancing down at his hand again.

He was still holding onto the bottle for dear life, and as if noticing her staring, he picked it up and took generous swig.

"Like I said, you were on my mind."

He was slurring his words pathetically, causing her to grimace and clutch the door tighter.

This was the last thing she wanted to deal with. Her drunk ex-husband that she hadn't seen for the last two months.

Did the universe hate her that much? She thought in her mind.

Mona sighed, giving him a blank stare as the sleep in her eyes was as clear as day. Or in this case, night. "Alrighty, I see this won't be a quick encounter. So what exactly do you want, Heath? It's three in the morning."

"You. I fucking want you."

Jesus. She pretended to figure out what the heck he was on about and moved her hand up to catch her yawn.

"Why would you drive three hours anywhere to tell me something as stupid as that? We're divorced. I didn't expect to see you until Dalia did something stupid like die and you would have to come down and help me arrange her funeral."

Not that she had thought about when they would see each other again.

Of course not, that would be pathetic.

His glassy eyes fell onto her face and the corners of his lips twitched. "Chickens don't need a funeral."

She scoffed. "I can't believe you would even say that. If they're Dalia Callahan, then yes they do. She needs a send off as sassy as her."

"How is she?"

"How's the chicken?" She repeated incredulously, giving him a weird look. "Yeah, I mean she's as great as she can be. But she keeps trying to run away, and it's super concerning. To be honest, I genuinely think it's the effects of the divorce that's getting to her." She babbled, then shut her mouth.

She didn't know why she was telling him something so insignificant and sucked out a deep breath.

Asking the one thing she suspected the second she saw him on her doorstep, she muttered, "Did you get into a fight with her or something along the lines? Is that why you're here?"

When he shook his head firmly, she rolled her eyes at his blatant lie.

"You don't have to lie to me. Even though I would rather watch paint dry then hear the struggles in your relationship, I did say I would always be there if you needed to talk."

Hoping he would do the polite thing and decline or better yet, pass away right then and there, she waited for his answer with patience.

"Nothing happened."

"Then why the hell are you here, bothering me?"

"Because I miss you, hayati. I miss us."

Yep, it was way too fucking early for this and she needed her beauty sleep.

Giving him one last glare, she called Otto over to her and beckoned him inside the house.

Before Heath's drunken self could enter, she shoved a hand against his chest. He stopped immediately at the feel of her touch on him and looked down at her.

She had no idea where any of this was coming from. He had five years to sit and think about what he was doing, and now that they were officially strangers, he wanted to make his presence known.

That was stupid, stupid men for you though. All the fucking same.

"You're not coming inside, Heath. You're leaving me alone like we agreed on and that's the end of that. You're drunk and being stupid right now. Goodbye."

He didn't let her push him away because the moment she made her move to close the door, he pleaded with her.

"I made a huge fucking mistake and I know that. I know I messed this up but I left her. I left her once I was able to sit back and realise what I had lost."

His confession did nothing but numb her further. She snorted, not fazed in the slightest.

"So then you can sit here and think even harder. I'm going to bed and you're going home, wherever the hell that is."

With that, she slammed the door in his face.

Although, little did she know by the time the next morning had rolled around, he would still be out there, sleeping on her door step.

Seguir leyendo

También te gustarán

3K 23 1
Bec has just returned to her family farm in rural Australia, to live, and to be ready to take over when her parents retire. She likes being back, and...
2.1K 80 32
Beth is living her comfortably boring life when the hunt for a misplaced book makes her cross paths with her ex. After the brief, blundering, encount...
91.8K 1.9K 38
22 year old Monica Monae is daddy's little girl. She got her straight A's in everything and gets the top scores. When her mother died, everything cha...
36.7K 2.3K 43
*Completed June 21, 2020* *Formerly The Rightful Heir* When Aiyana Miller was 5 years old, her father and older brother were killed trying and failin...