Donna ────── R. Targaryen

Imaginebooks

❝ If there was ever two people who deserved a happy ending, it would have been us. ❞ The Fates were against M... Еще

CAST
BOOK ONE : TRAGOEDIA
I
II
III
IV
V
VI
VIII
IX
X
XI
XII
XIII
XIV
XV
XVI
XVII
XVIII
BOOK TWO : IGNIS ET SANGUIS
XIX
XX
XXI
XXII
XXIII
XXIV
XXV
XXVI
XXVII
𝐄𝐏𝐈𝐋𝐎𝐆𝐔𝐄
a note

VII

5.1K 319 41
Imaginebooks

𝐂𝐇𝐀𝐏𝐓𝐄𝐑 𝐒𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐍 | Betrothals

{ Rhaenyra }

✧✦✧

"𝕴 am quite certain that Lord Hightower despises me." Rhaenyra looked up from the book she was reading, a small smile forming as she spotted Malkym walking towards her. He was, for once, not dressed in his usual armour but instead a dark doublet that matched her own dress, complete with his house sigil. "Every lesson, he gets more and more infuriated with me."

"Does he not like your charm?"

"I can not understand why. I am perfectly pleasant to be around." Malkym grinned, slumping down beside her after a half-hearted bow that Rhaenyra had ignored. She knew what he was like. "Your father likes me, at least that is some consolation."

"He thinks you are funny."

"I am funny. I make you laugh all the time, which is no small feat, let me tell you." Malkym snarked back, leaning to look up at her. Rhaenyra admired his face for a moment, taking in the way his lips were pursed in a very fake scowl, and his eyes flashed with mischief. It wasn't hard to see why Lord Hightower despised him, because Malkym looked the picture of impish mischief. 

Three years had passed since their fateful conversation under that very same Weirwood tree, and after a lot of pleading, bargaining, begging and general annoyance, Rhaenyra had finally convinced her father that being betrothed to Malkym was a brilliant idea. However, it had not been him that he'd had to convince, but instead Lord Hightower, who suggested she then marry a man three times her age. But, her father had spoken with Malkym's father, who had been mightily shocked, and an agreement had been reached that Rhaenyra and Malkym were to be married when the princess reached ten and seven summers old. 

That time was fast approaching.

"We are betrothed. I have to laugh at your poor attempts at jokes, someone needs to stroke your ego." Rhaenyra grinned as Malkym laughed, seemingly unoffended in the slightest. "Maybe I should stop though. Being married to the heir to the Iron Throne might go straight to your head."

"It already has. I brag whenever I meet people."

"Should I be worried that you are attempting to be killed?" Rhaenyra stared down at him, an eyebrow cocked as Malkym winked. "You are truly terrible."

"Yet, you are the one who told your father that you would fling yourself off of the highest tower if you could not get your way." Rhaenyra huffed at Malkym's words, turning to look away as the man laughed. "I jest."

"You better be."

"You look most beautiful today, Rhaenyra." Malkym squeezed her hand gently, before bringing it to his lips for him to press a kiss to. Rhaenyra smiled at that, faintly blushing as she attempted to look away from his entrancing eyes and maintain her composure. "I thought you were supposed to be with your father. I was somewhat surprised to find you here."

"I refuse to be in the snake pit."

"I see." Malkym shuffled down until his head touched the pillows that Rhaenyra was sitting on, his legs stretched out ahead of him as his eyes fluttered closed. "Read to me?"

"Of course." Her hand found his as she opened the book, reading to her betrothed softly as the pair enjoyed the peace and quiet that the Weirwood tree courtyard provided. She did not feel that she was as good a storyteller as Malkym was, who had grown up with siblings that often begged for him to read to them, but she hoped that she was somewhat decent for her betrothed.

"Rhaenyra?" The white haired woman stopped at the familiar voice, sharing a glance with Malkym, who went to stand. Rhaenyra grabbed onto him tighter, keeping him in one place so that he could not abandon her to deal with Alicent. They shared a look, arguing with glares, before Malkym gave in and sank back down.

"Yes, my queen?"

"Good morrow, Your Grace." Malkym sat up, bowing his head at Alicent, continuing to let Rhaenyra hold onto his hand like a lifeline. Her nails dug into his knuckles, making crescent moon indents onto his tanned skin as Malkym tried to sooth her, and regain feeling in his hand simultaneously. Even if it had been three years since the fateful betrothal, the wound of Alicent's betrayal still stung deeply.

"Your presence is wanted in the outer courtyard. Both of you." Rhaenyra huffed at the thought, her eyes narrowing. "The Royal Hunt is ready to depart."

"I have decided to stay here and read instead. My betrothed and I have not had the chance to spend all that much time together since he returned from Alterwoode." Rhaenyra muttered.

"Lord Malkym, you will go. I desire to speak with my step-daughter." Malkym winced, shooting Rhaenyra an apologetic look as he made to stand. He could not ignore the queen's wishes, even if Rhaenyra wished him to do so.

"He is my betrothed. Whatever you have to tell me, he can hear it."

"The Queen commands it." Rhaenyra looked up from her book, as Malkym sighed, pressing a kiss to Rhaenyra's hand.

"I shall see you later, Princess." He bowed his head, before turning to bow at the queen. "Your Grace."

Rhaenyra sighed, watching Malkym stroll out of the courtyard, wishing that she was with him instead of being stuck here with her once close friend. 

"The King wishes for you to join us." Alicent called, not daring to further invade Rhaenyra's personal space.

"The King has much to celebrate. He does not need me."

"He wants for us all to be together." Rhaenyra took her eyes off the page in front of her, eyebrows furrowing in annoyance, "and perhaps the hunt could be fun."

"Is it the king's command?"

"Yes..."

"Then at once, Your Grace." Rhaenyra slammed her book shut, standing from her seat.

"But it needn't be." Rhaenyra turned, staring at her now pregnant step-mother, who was nervously drumming her fingers along the top of her belly. "None of it need be this way, in truth, Rhaenyra."

The white haired woman walked past her heading for the main courtyard, wishing for this day to be finished.

"Rhaenyra." A few metres after the entrance of the courtyard stood Malkym, who was waiting for her in the shadows of an archway. Rhaenyra sighed in relief at the sight of him, hooking their arms together as she walked back towards her chambers. "You are coming?"

"The king commands it."

"Well, then I am truly excited to go hunting with you, my darling dragon." Rhaenyra snorted at the nickname, causing Malkym to grin. He had taken to calling her that, knowing that it made the girl laugh hysterically whenever he did, brightening her mood even on the worst days. Rhaenyra did find it quite funny, but she hated admitting it. "Will Syrax be there?"

"No." Rhaenyra shook her head. 

"I wish to meet your famed dragon." Malkym huffed. "Let me?"

"She will burn you alive."

"I have your favour, she will not!" Malkym shook his head as Rhaenyra laughed. "I am sure that she will adore me. I know so. Animals love me."

"Syrax is not an animal. She is a dragon."

"Thus she will love me even more then. You are a dragon, and you like me. She will do the same."

"That makes no sense." Rhaenyra laughed, as they came to a stop at her doorway. "You make no sense, kind Lord."

"You just do not wish to admit that your dragon will like me more than she likes you." Malkym winked as Rhaenyra's face turned offended. "I will see you on the hunt, Your Grace."

"Get out of here." She gave him a light shove, watching as the man pretended to stumble, laughing all the while. When he was gone, she allowed herself to put her hands to her flushed cheeks in an effort to calm down.

✧✦✧

Malkym had been unable to ride in the carriage with them, leaving Rhaenyra to suffer her family by herself. The sight of Alicent's eldest child, Aegon, had Rhaenyra all the more determined to put off having children for as long as she possibly could. He seemed fussy.

"Well, isn't this splendid?" Viserys turned to look at Rhaenyra, who struggled to hide her displeasure. "The whole of our family off to celebration and adventure in the Kingswood."

The carriage rumbled and despite Rhaenyra's annoyance, the girl grew concerned for Alicent who was late in her pregnancy. She was wincing at every bump or dip in the road which was surely not healthy.

"Should you be travelling in such a condition?"

"The Maesters said that being out in nature would do me well." Alicent snapped back.

"You will be with your own child soon and make me a proud grandsire." Viserys smiled at the thought, as Rhaenyra fought a sneer. In all honesty, she still did not know whether or not she wished for children. She knew she had to, for the sake of both Malkym and her own claim, but the idea of childbirth terrified her, more so after her mother's death. She did not wish for her own life to become forfeit to a child.

"It's not so bad." Alicent tried to reassure. "The days are long, but Aegon came quickly and without fuss."

Rhaenyra stayed quiet, ignoring it all.

"You should ride out with me today." Viserys spoke up, looking at his eldest child. Rhaenyra sighed. "Join in the chase."

"Rather not." Rhaenyra was cut off before she could comment on how similar boar and children screams were.

"I will ask your betrothed to join me as well." Viserys nodded. "I like him."

"I am glad." Rhaenyra smiled at that, the first of the carriage ride. "He will enjoy the chance to impress you. But, I'd rather not."

"It's a hunt, Rhaenyra." Viserys sighed, as Aegon began to whine and cry, on the verge of a tantrum. "How would you like to participate?"

"I'm not sure why I am asked."

"Because you are my daughter, the princess, and you have duties." Rhaenyra scoffed at the notion. 

"As I am ceaselessly reminded." Rhaenyra muttered.

"I'm sorry?"

"As I'm ceaselessly reminded!" Rhaenyra spoke louder this time, sighing once more.

"You would not need to be reminded if you ever attempted to."

"No one is here for me." Viserys fell silent at her words, causing Rhaenyra to sit back once more. Cheers started up from outside of the carriage as they drew into the encampment for their hunt. 

Rhaenyra knew that Malkym would already be there, waiting for her. She needed his steady strength to cling onto, especially after this carriage ride.

Viserys stepped down first to greet his subjects as they bowed. Alicent and the other servers soon followed, leaving Rhaenyra to think momentarily, before she too stood. Smoothing her dress, Rhaenyra made sure to hide her foul mood as she reached the door.

Stepping outside, she ignored the cheers and bows, searching for her betrothed in the crowd. She just needed him. Malkym was waiting with Otto Hightower, looking completely bored, though his face lit up at the sight of her.

At least she had him.

Hiya,

So, it's been three years and Malkym and Rhae are betrothed and bullying each other. But, they're both absolutely smitten for each other, and him calling her 'my darling dragon' to annoy her brings me life.

Let me know what you think,

Love Li xx

Продолжить чтение

Вам также понравится

53.5K 1.1K 13
Jaenys was born of blood both hot and cold, her father was a Targaryen and her mother was a Stark. When the Stranger claimed her mother on the birthi...
63.7K 1.9K 41
Maenya Targaryen. Born in 96 AC, The first child of Aemma and Viserys Targaryen, All seemed well, Maenya was "The gem of the Kingdoms" her younger si...
42.3K 1.1K 28
House Targaryen, the blood of Old Valyria, the House of the Dragon and the royal family of Westeros. Targaryens have controlled the crown for decades...
6.9K 438 5
⤷ always an angel, never a god, always a woman, never an heir, ──────────── 𝐈𝐍 which rhaenyra targaryen has an older sister - aelora targ...