A Gangster With Roses • Tommy...

By starlightluvrr

Rosella Kimber is the daughter of Billy Kimber, one of the biggest crime bosses in 1919 England. Tommy Shelby... More

A GANGSTER WITH ROSES
some girl before france
the kimbers
deal with the devil
she's the past
secret lovers
do you dance?
snow white lips
doomsday
you've seen me
shock
deflower
fast women & slow horses
heaven is yours
betrayal
already broken
family business
love your enemies
bittersweet
it's a boy
king of small heath
thomas shelby with roses
black star day
revenge
kimber and his men
love, rosie
all is fair
before the storm
handsome strangers
sabini's club
tommy & rose
lost letters
back to birmingham
confessions
their last petal
delight before destruction
delilah
night of ecstasy
marry me, rosie
forever red
no one came back
ghosts
silence at last
husband and wife
killing is a kindness
forgive to forget
the marquis of lorne
affairs
art of seduction
falling apart
angel of death
tommy's girl
fire and smoke
escapes
the derby
ribbon
final hour
there's a woman
the most of everything
night of horrors
tatiana
death is sweet
in the bleak midwinter

russian roulette

1.9K 70 19
By starlightluvrr

|58|
JACK OF ALL TRADES

TWO YEARS LATER...

ARROW HOUSE,
1924

THERE IS AN old saying that some people are made up of two worlds. One in which they exist to hold everyone together and another in which they constantly fall apart. This was the case for Tommy Shelby, who had devoted his life to his family and their status.

It seemed like his efforts were paying off. No one could could think of Birmingham without thinking of the peaky blinders. And what was Small Heath without Thomas Shelby? You'd be silly to ask such a question in a literal sense.

For the Shelby's had built an empire like no other, they had reclaimed the rules that were meant to put them down.

However, more power meant more powerful enemies. More terrible and more influence. So, like a thief in the night, danger was always creeping and never far. It was the stalker that lurked behind Tommy and his family like a shadow.

But right now, just for one day, they could try put that all aside and just celebrate.

Today was a wedding, one of the most sacred ceremonies known to man. And it wasn't any ordinary wedding, it was Michael Gray's wedding.

"Fran!" Rose calls, rushing down the stairs. "Has the table been decorated with the flowers yet? And how are the seating arrangements?"

"Yes Mrs Shelby, and the candles have been lit. The seating arrangements have been prepared to your liking."

Fran was the head maid of the Shelby household, who took her job incredibly seriously. Her attitude was very straightforward and decisive. She was old, approaching her sixties and sometimes terrorised the younger maids.

"Good, good." Rose smiles, dusting her ultramarine blue dress.

Tommy and Rose's home looked like something out of a fairytale, like it didn't belong on this earth. Maids, butlers and cooks were in every corner, running all over the place, making sure everything was completely perfect for the grand occasion.

Today, nothing could go wrong.

Tommy had paid for the whole wedding, and Rose was hosting the reception dinner at their home which was within walking distance of the chapel.

The chapel. It was gorgeous. It hid behind emerald trees, and was as ancient and holy as they come. The entrance was surrounded by vibrant flowers, intertwined with each other like deranged lovers. You could see the megalithic stained glass windows and candles that burned at the alter from afar.

"We need to make sure everything is arranged as soon as possible, guests will arrive any minute." Rose looks up at the clock with giddiness.

She had raced home from the chapel as soon as the couple had taken their vows just to make sure everything was flawless.

Suddenly, the doors swing open and Tommy walks in hastily, hanging his jacket. A cigarette stayed firmly in between his lips as he adjusted his suit.

"Tom, you're here." Rose was anxious. "How far away is our bride and groom? What about everyone else? Is the—"

"Rosie, stop stressing." He interrupts. Tommy walks around a little, observing everything as he smoked. "Everything looks fine."

"But I don't want it to just be fine, I want it all to be perfect." Rose frowns.

He puts out his cigarette.

"You'd think this was your own wedding the way you're running around. Have you even just stopped today to take a breather?"

Tommy walks up to her, his hands in his pockets.

Rose didn't reply, Tommy already knew the answer to that. So instead she just fixes his tie and hair. "I just want everything to be nice, you know? Polly never thought she'd witness this day. It's lovely to see our Michael get married."

Tommy stares at her for a couple seconds before sighing. Rose was right. This day was important for more reasons he could probably count.

A smirk played on his lips as he moved hair out of her face. It wasn't until now he truly registered how short she was compared to him, the way she looked up at him with those eyes of hers felt truly intoxicating.

Tommy rubs his thumb against her plump lips. "Let me help you with your stress." His voice was lower now.

Rose looks away shyly, grinning. "How do you plan on doing that?"

Tommy didn't answer. Instead he pressed her firmly against the wall, his eyes still looking down at her.

He was so close now, she could feel his warm breath against her face as well as her heart beating rapidly. It was the way his hand travelled up her thigh, pushing her dress up— it was criminal and sinfully pleasurable. 

Tommy lifts her head up, he wanted her to look at him. Right in the eyes.

Rose's shoulder strap of her dress had fallen, exposing her bare shoulder in which Tommy was now planting kisses on.

Her eyes flutter closed, she was running her hands through his dark brown hair.

"Mrs Shelby." A voice calls.

Almost instantly, Rose pulls away from her husband, fixing her dress in a hurry. Her cheeks were slightly flushed as the maid approached them, she had Elliot on her hip.

The young maid herself was trying to remain professional after invading on such a private moment. Tommy on the other hand, wasn't bothered at all.

"Mr Shelby, Mrs Shelby, I'm very sorry—"

Rose cuts her off, "N-No it's completely fine. What's the matter?"

She gestures to their son, Elliot, who looked like had just finished crying. The little boy's eyes were red, nose a little runny as he whimpered in the maids arms.

"Oh, what's the matter my love?" Rose's face grows with concern as the maid hands her Elliot. "Is his cold getting worse?"

"I'm not sure, I believe he is just tired for now." The maid replies.

Tommy joins Rose's side, he wraps his arm around her before kissing Elliot on the forehead briefly.

"He just needs rest." Tommy reassures, it's like he could read his wife's troubled mind.

Rose nods and just as she is about to open her mouth to speak, the large double doors of the manor open and an influx of guests pour in.

"I was so close to catching that bloody bouquet!" Renie groans, walking in.

"Maybe you should've left the bouquet catching to the younger girls." Arthur jokes, his new wife Linda was by his side.

"Careful Karl!" Ada warns as Karl races past her into the house, he was holding little Charlie's hand, who was trying his best to keep up.

"Right, where's the fucking champagne?" John asks, looking around.

Meanwhile Isiah was trying his best to make a move on one of the Dalton girls, who had been invited to the wedding.

"Sweetheart, how do you feel about playing in the snow later?" Isiah smirks, holding up a small bag of cocaine.

Cecilia Dalton smiles flirtatiously, "That's my love language."

Rose walks up to everyone, greeting them as Tommy observed all the guests. He had a strange feeling about today that he couldn't tell Rose about, he knew she'd get anxious. Ever since Tommy had gotten into contact with the Russians a few months ago, he was always  looking over his shoulder. The Russians were powerful beyond reason, they were more than an empire, they were a dynasty. To be on the wrong side of them was to be on the side of death itself.

Tommy charges up to Isiah. "They'll be no fucking snow today." He snatches it off him. "And no fucking fighting, do you understand?"

Isiah sighs then nods.

"Ah, there they are. Our bride and groom."
Polly announces with the biggest smile.

The carriage parks outside and a coachman opens the door. In an elegant manner, Micheal steps out, holding his hand out for his bride.

Her violet purple dress was a vision, as if crafted by angels themselves. In that dress, she blossomed like a rare flower. It brought out the best of her. You couldn't find anything like it, those embroidered floral patterns, that long veil that seemed made for royalty— it was ethereal.

She lifts her head up, smiling.

Sarah.

Everyone steps out the way for the young newlyweds when they enter the manor, admiring them.

Fran gets everyone's attention. "Welcome all. My most fondest congratulations to Michael and Sarah Gray." She begins. "You may be seated at the dining table if you wish. However, dinner will not be served until five."

It wasn't long before a few guests had found their seats around the long banquet table that sat under what seemed like a million dazzling chandeliers.

Alongside the beautiful flower arrangements on the table, candles burned ferociously, adding to the warm ambient atmosphere.
However, what caught everyone's eye the most was the golden framed painting that hung up in the centre of the room.

You couldn't miss it if you wanted to.

It was Tommy, dressed in his long raven black coat and peaky cap. Painted beside him was his majestic white horse that juxtaposed his dark presence.

"That's complete nonsense. You know, we're part of a serious political movement here." Ada, who was sat at the table, was already debating with a member of the Dalton family. "Us communists don't have 'secret little meetings' they're just meetings."

"Pol," Tommy pulls Polly aside just as she's about to sit down. "They are guests here that are not on the list. Watch out." He warns.

Polly's face changes. She knew of Tommy's situation with the Russians, but she hoped it wouldn't dabble into her only son's wedding day.

"And tell the Lee girls I've counted all the fucking paintings, so if one of them goes missing it's the end for them." He adds sternly.

Tommy would've been lying if he said he wasn't tense, he was even more tense and paranoid than Rose, but the only thing was, he could conceal it exceptionally well.

Yet right now, those walls were cracking.

"Arthur!?" Tommy shouts, searching the hallways for him. He pushes past dancing guests and through all the small talk.

"Yeah? What is it?" Arthur was in the corner of the hallway, drinking the champagne meant for everyone.

"Keep everyone in fucking line as well as yourself. We can not embarrass ourselves in front of the Daltons. I won't let you fuckers ruin this day for Michael." Tommy's tone was more than strict.

"Who gives a toss about the Daltons? They're all pricks!" John adds, walking towards them.
"That Sir Dalton was an army general who sat on his arse whilst we fought in frontlines. But somehow he got all the fucking medals!"

"I don't give a shit about your opinion tonight on them. Whatever bad blood we have will not be spilt on my new carpets." Tommy walks up to John, right in his face. "Rose has organised this dinner, it will not go wrong. Do you understand?"

Finn joins in on the conversation, walking towards them with Johnny Dogs by his side.

"Tommy, have you seen the Dalton's cars? Do you think we could race with them outside on the—"

Tommy felt like ripping his hair out. "No, Finn. They'll be no fucking racing, do you hear me!? And Johnny Dogs control your kin, all five hundred of them."

Tommy takes a deep breath, trying to compose himself. "That is all. No fighting."

Tommy walks away, lighting a cigarette. He needed a smoke after all that. Now he was back in the dining room that was filled with laughter and chattering. He sits beside Rose.

"Are you alright, Tom?" She could almost feel his rigid energy.

Tommy doesn't look her in the eye, he faces forward. "I'm fine. Where's Charlie and Elliot?"

"They're with Esme, dancing with her and Johns kids in the front room." She informs. "Tommy, my love, are you sure you're okay?"

"I'm alright." Tommy's face was expressionless as he downed the drink in front of him.

Rose opens her mouth to speak but she's cut off by the head maid, Fran, who stood proudly at the doorway of the dining room.

"We have another guest that has arrived, His Grace, Theodore Hewbury, Duke of Hertford."

Rose's heart drops. It felt as if the air had been snatched out her lungs.

Her eyes dart to the Dalton family, who were sat across her and Tommy.

"Ah, you came." Cecilia Dalton stands up, smiling.

"I'm late, I do apologise." Theo responds. He was wearing a navy blue suit, the same shade as Rose's dress.

In a way, it looked like they were matching.

Rose never wanted to evaporate and disappear more than this moment. How could the Daltons have the nerve to extend their invitation to Theo without telling her? She thought angrily.

She looks over at Tommy with panic in her eyes.

Now it looked like she had invited him. Like it was all planned. After all, Rose was the one who prepared the guest list for this.

Theo was a man who inhabited a bold and powerful presence but his russet brown eyes dazzled with friendliness. He stood there in his tailored suit, with multiple rings on his fingers, and polished black shoes.

Guests stand up as a sign of respect to the young duke.

Rose stays seated, she turns to Tommy. "Tommy I-"

He stands up with the others, ignoring her. Then Rose does the same, ashamed.

She couldn't even get a word in as Tommy left the room in such a swift manner; it was clear that he only stood up just to leave.

Rose sighs heavily, looking around. It was then she accidentally locked eyes with Theo.

All the memories came flooding in one by one, replaying in her head like torture. Rose looks away, tearing her eyesight from him.

She rushes out the room, looking for Tommy.

This dinner hadn't even properly started and disasters were already unfolding. Tensions were rising like wildfire and breaking points were nearing. Yet what the Shelby's didn't know was that Theo's arrival would be the least of their problems tonight. For this home would soon be a place of shadows and secrets.

And by tomorrow morning, a body would be buried on these very grounds.

•••

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

134K 10.1K 68
"I do bad things. But you already know that." ~ Thomas Shelby A tragic misunderstanding. A murder. A secret. An unlikely partnership. When the disapp...
3.2K 108 16
"You see, Amelia," Tommy Shelby asserted, his form resting against the desk, a cigarette poised between his index and thumb. "Under this roof, everyt...
301K 5.7K 76
They were once everything. They were once in charge. Now everything has changed. The Peaky Blinders were all arrested and thought to be put away...
122K 3.6K 17
(1921) Roseanne King, resident nurse and Peaky Blinder, has found a life she never dreamed possible- she is alive and she is in love. But the game...