Too Late To Say Goodbye | Tom...

By helpingthemind

~1923~ In which Tommy's life seems to be falling into place. Business is expanding, the family is thriving... More

1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
6.
7.
8.
9.
10.
11.
12.
13.
14.
15.
16.
17.
18.
19.
20.
21.
22.
23.
24.
25.
26.
27.
28.
29.
30.
31.
32.
33.
34.
35.
36.
37.
38.
39.
40.
41.
42.
43.
44.
45.
46.
47.
48.
49.
50.
51.
52.
53.
54.
55.
56.
57.
58.
59.
60.
61.
62.
63.
64.
65.
66.
67.
68.
69.
70.
71.
72.
73.
74.
75.
76.
77.
78.
79.
80.
81.
82.
83.
84.
85.
86.
88.
89.
90.
91.
92.
93.
94.
95.
96.
97.
98.
99.
100.
101.
102.
103.
104.
105.
Author's Note

87.

4K 136 4
By helpingthemind

Every time she turned her head she saw a man wearing a peaky cap.

The weather was starting to warm up, so Polly and Bella decided to go to the towns market for some fresh produce.

But of course, Tommy overloaded them with guards. Bella wasn't upset about it, knowing it is necessary.
Tommy even had Johnny Dogs come with them. Who was currently talking the women's ears off.

"I'll tell you ladies, fresh apples straight from the tree in the fields of Wales, best you'll ever have!"

Polly rolled her eyes, giving Bella a look. To which she tried to hide her giggle.
"Well, next time Bella and I are in Wales we'll be sure to try your magic apple tree."

"And you'll thank me when ya do!" Johnny cheered

Bella really likes the man. No matter what was happening he was always there with a smile on his face and a joke to tell.

The three spent some time walking around to the different stands, collecting fruits and vegetables, hoping they could put something together for the family.

Polly thought she needed to spend more time with Bella, she misses the girl and decided to find a way to help her get out of that dark house.
After a very strict conversation with Tommy, he finally agreed for them to go. But under the condition that they brought all the peaky men with them.
Polly tried to be annoyed about it, but really she thought it was sweet how much her nephew cares for this woman and herself during these times.

"Look, Doll, your favorite." Polly got Bella's attention, pointing to the peach stand.

Bella smiled, it was such a simple thing that somehow got attached to her name. But she thought it was sweet and wouldn't change a thing.
"I'll bring some home. Even though he doesn't like to admit it, Tommy loves them too."

Polly laughed with her. Men and their masculinity.

Johnny Dogs was busy harassing the man at the stand with his god awful jokes, as the two picked the best fruit.

The unstable fruit pile caused Bella to accidentally cause a few to roll to the ground.
"Oh, I'm sorry sir, I'll get those." She apologized to the merchant.
Who gave a nod back,
"It's quite alright, Ms. Ray."

Polly noticed that Bella was starting to slow down her mobility with her growing pregnancy,
"Let me get them for you." She offered but a Bella instantly shook her head. She hated having to get help for something as simple as a fallen fruit.

She tried bending over but found it hard to and no matter how much she tried, she still couldn't reach the ground.

Feeling Polly place a hand on her back, "really, please let me help you."

Shaking her head again "no, no, I got it."
Then started to squat as low as she could, finally grasping the fruit, standing up with a smile.
"See Pol, I told you I got it."

With a smirk, Polly shook her head at the girl. "That you did, Bell."

"Let's get a few more for Charlie to-"

Bella's thought was cut short when all of a sudden she was soaked. Gasping as she dropping the basket she was holding, now covered head to toe in dirty street water.

Without a second to spare, the peaky men came closer, Johnny dogs making his way in front of them and Polly pulling out the small gun she kept in her bag.

Wiping her eyes, shocked, Bella looked up to see what just happened. Standing a few feet away, was a woman, older than Bella, wearing worn ripped clothes, fallen hair in her face, and holding a wooden bucket as she glared in Bella's direction.

"That's what you deserve, you peaky whore!!" She yelled pointing in Bella's direction.

Still shocked, Bella didn't say anything only starred back with her mouth open and eyes wide.

"I saw you! I saw you in the square, bringing those men into our homes! My son doesn't sleep at night, not one night since! And you peaky blinders think you can do this to us! That you rule the city!-"

The woman continued to yell, blaming Bella for the shooting with the Italians.

Feeling her lip tremble and her eyes water, as the guilt washed over her.

Then seeing the peaky men move, going towards the woman, she snapped out of her gaze "no! Stop! Don't touch her!"

The men stopped their movements, but Johnny and Polly still holding their ground.
"Fucking. Leave." Polly threatened lowly

The woman gave Bella one last glare, spitting on the ground in front of her before turning and stomping away.

Once she was a comfortable distance away, Polly put her gun away turning to Bella, instantly pulling her into her as she started to cry.

"O-oh Polly, sh-she right." Bella sobbed into her shoulder.

Polly rubbed her back, not caring about the water getting on her as well.
"Shh, it's okay..."
Then she looked up at Johnny, who seemed lost, not knowing what to do.
"Go find Tommy. I'll bring her home."

He nodded and turned away, signaling for the other men to stay close.

"Come doll, let's get you cleaned up." Polly whispered to her, leading her in the direction of Watery Lane.

*****

Tommy was furious.

He was down at the boxing ring, watching Bonnie train when Johnny Dogs found him.

Now he raced back to Watery Lane to see her.

He couldn't believe someone would have so much disrespect to do that to her. To a pregnant woman nevertheless.
And he couldn't believe his men allowed it to happen.

Rubbing his eyes as turned onto the street. He was so angry he saw red.
Putting the car in park, getting out and marching through the front door.

Upon entering, all his anger vanished, turning to sadness when he heard her sobs from the living room.

"Bell..." he breathed out as he turned the corner to enter the room.
There he found his fiancé hunched over in sobs, with Polly next to her, rubbing her back. While Lizzie, who heard the commotion from the office and came to check on them, kneeled in front of her trying to make her feel better.

The two women looked up at him when they heard him speak, Bella still with her head in her hands looking down.
Feeling his heart break at her fetal position. Polly gestured for Lizzie for follow her to the kitchen, allowing the couple a moment alone.

Tommy paid no mind to the other two woman as he took Lizzie place, kneeling in front of her.
"I'm here now, Bella."

Slowly lifting her head as she sniffles. Her face was puffy from crying but Polly helped her clean up, she was still wearing the damp clothes from before, but physically she was okay.
Tommy took in her sad eyes, and her wobbling lip as tears still fell down her cheeks.
"Bell-"

"Oh Tommy!" She cried throwing her arms around him, continuing to sob into his neck, glad that he was here now.

Instantly he wrapped his arms around her too, brushing the back of her head. He couldn't describe the painful feeling he had in his stomach at seeing her so upset.
He never should've let them go today.
"It's okay, Bell, it's okay."

Trying her best to calm down, now that Tommy was here she found it easier to concentrate on her breathing.
After a few long moments, she was finally able to get her sobs to only sniffles. Slowly pulling back, he softly brushed the tears from her cheeks.
"You-you should've seen her Tommy. She hated me, she doesn't even know me but she hates me."

Tommy felt like he could feel her sadness radiating off of her. He just wanted to take it all away. "Bel-"

Cutting him off with a shake of her head, "she lives in that living complex. The one we ran through to get away from the Italians, said that her son doesn't sleep because of it. I-if we-I cant keep other people's children out of this life, then how am I expected to keep ours safe? She thought I was a bad person an-and maybe I am. And maybe I'm not fit to be a mother-"

"Stop it, Bella." If Tommy thought his heart broke before, the feeling was nothing compared to now. He couldn't bare to listen to it anymore. "That's not true. That's not true at all, Bella. You are more fit to be a mother than any woman I know. Look at Charlie, he adores you, would be lost without you."

"I just can't get that little boy out me head." Her lip started wobbling again, thinking about the boy in the stairwell. She just has to assume that was his mother. She put him in the line of fire and for what? Her benefit?
The poor boy is terrified and she couldn't help but feel guilty about it.

It was at that moment Tommy knew he couldn't take away her pain. Brushing some hair out of her face,
"Please don't cry, peach. Breaks me heart...I'll find who did this-"

"No, Tommy. Leave them be. We've already done enough...all I want now is to get out of these clothes and sleep." She kindly told him, exhaustion was the only thing she felt now.

Clicking his tongue, Tommy nodded. Feeling as if he failed to make her feel better.
But still he obliged to her wishes, helping her upstairs and out of the ruined clothes.

Tommy sat on the edge of the bed as Bella laid down on it. He rested his head in his hands, feeling worn.
The silence becoming overbearing as the shovels started in the distance. Then Bella broke the silence,
"One day, all of this is just going to be a bad memory."

He sighed, even when she was the one upset, she still tried to make him feel better.
Turning slightly to lightly rubbing her belly, an action that always seemed to calm both of them recently.
"It'll all be over soon, you have my word."

Bella nodded, hoping that was true.
Tommy leaned down to give her a light kiss.
"I love you, peach"

"I love you too."

Holding her gaze, not back away. "Would you like me to stay?"

"No. I'll be okay here. Thank you for coming home for me." She calmed down a lot. Still feeling guilt about the events, but she also knows her pregnancy is making her more emotional than normal.

"I'll always come home to you." He nodded at her "I'll be back soon, Pol and Lizzie are still downstairs if you need them."

Bella nodded. "Tell them I said thank you as well."

"I will." When he got up, he hesitated by the door, looking back at her as she tried her best to get comfortable to sleep.

Then finally made his way back downstairs to the women anxiously waiting in the kitchen.

"How is she Tom?" Lizzie asked as soon as he walked in

Sighing "she's okay. Sleeping now."

Polly was leaning against the counter, shaking her head. "That woman's lucky Bella has a kind heart. I wouldn't have given her the same mercy."

Tommy looked at his aunt, silently agreeing with her. "Make sure no one bothers them. Bella wants us to leave them alone, says we've already done enough."

Lizzie was the next to speak. "We should do something nice for her. Never seen the poor girl so upset before."
She hated seeing her usually happy and kind friend so down.

Tommy nodded, already having something in mind. Turning without a word, walking over to the telephone.
After waiting for the operator to connect him, he finally reached his uncle.

"Charlie. I need yours and Curly's help with something."

***Author's Note***
Poor Bella:(
Lmk what you thought of this chapter!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

241K 4.6K 26
She's always been there in the background for Tommy Shelby; Forever loyal to the man she loves but with new complications with the police and new ene...
79.4K 2.1K 22
Before the war, when Tommy and the Shelby family were simple bookmakers that just dabbled in criminality, John was not the only one who married early...
300K 5.7K 76
They were once everything. They were once in charge. Now everything has changed. The Peaky Blinders were all arrested and thought to be put away...
479K 10.1K 32
the youngest petrovna gets tangled in an affair with a peaky blinder. john shelby complete