Six months to live (ZhanYi)

By daddysjewel

Abandoned in foster care by his mother at the age of 8 years old. Zhan grew accustomed to the place and lived... More

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26
27
28
29
30
31
32
33
34

Prologue

1.3K 55 1
By daddysjewel

Zhan's Pov.

I don't feel like going to work today; I ache all over from sleeping in this sauna. That quarry work is not an easy Job. But I have to go to work and save money to get an apartment.

I quickly put on my uniform and left for work. I was walking on the street when I saw a boy, not over 10 years old, sleeping on the cold floor in front of a store with a bag he used as a pillow. It reminded me of myself when my mother left me in that godforsaken motherless baby home before I left four months ago.

I couldn't control my legs, despite knowing I was late for work. I picked him up with his bag and took him back to the sauna. I have been sleeping here for two months, I placed him on my sleeping mat and told the manager he is my brother.

I begged her to not let him leave when he woke up until I was back from work. And gave her money to get him food.

I know I was late for work and my boss is very strict, he doesn't joke about his work, he will deduct money from my salary.

I walked down the lonely road and into the quarry, luckily he wasn't around.

I quickly take my position and start working.

"My boss's son, Cheng, is always nice to me whenever he comes to work with his dad.

I'm at work but my mind is in the sauna, I hope he has not run away.

When it is 6 pm, I washed my face, hands, legs and left the quarry.

When I reached the sauna, I saw the manager but I didn't see the boy anywhere. I panicked and rushed to her.

Good evening Mrs. Sun, please where is the boy?

Are you sure he is your brother? Because he said he doesn't know anyone named Zhan. He cried all morning and made a mess of the sauna, but if you care to know. He is in front of a store crying. Her reply was stern.

I figured he must have stressed her. I'm so sorry for the inconvenience he must have caused you. I apologized and ran out of the sauna.

"I saw him sitting in a corner by the store, crying." I grew up in a motherless baby home, and I have listened to hundreds of children cry. I can say I got used to their cries after 6 years. But hearing "him cry breaks my heart." for some reason I don't know.

Hey, I crouched to him and smiled faintly.

"I'm Zhan", I picked you up this morning when you were sleeping.

"Have you had anything to eat?"

He didn't talk, he just stared at me.

After a few minutes of silence, I spoke again.

"Are you waiting for someone?".

Yes, my dad. His voice was void.

Oh, okay, I decided to sit on the stone beside him.

"Is it okay if I stay with you until your dad comes?".

He just nodded his head and kept staring at me.

"What is your name and how old are you?"

My name is Wang Yibo and I'm 10 years old.

We sat there without talking to each other until all the store owners closed.

When I checked across the street, the only stall that stays out late at night is the ramen seller. He goes to work in the morning and sells ramen at night. That was how I knew it was 10 pm and my stomach had already started biting and crying for food.

I'm hungry, he said, fiddling with his fingers as he stares at the ramen stall.

About time, I stood up from the stone and pulled him up, with my right hand while I used the other to wipe my trousers and he did the same.

Hand in hand, we walk across the street to the stall.

Zhan, good evening, who is this adorable boy with you? The ramen vendor asked.

He is my brother.

Oh, I didn't know you have a brother. He said, looking between Wang and me.

He gave me two ramen when I brought money out of my pocket to give to him, he used his hand to push It back.

"No, don't worry about paying today, it's on the house."

We are not a charity you know. Wang's voice shocked us both.

Charity, why would I think that? I've two boys at home, about your age, I'd be offended if someone calls them charity. Take it from a father to a son. Mr. Lan said.

Thank you, I pulled Wang with me in the direction of the sauna.

We sat on the bench outside and ate, and I went to my locker, pulled out clothes, went to the bathroom, washed my work clothes, and had a shower.

Wang did the same too and I put his bag in my locker, I took him to where my mat is.

"I will be right back, let me spread my clothes outside. the heat from the sauna heaters will dry them before morning."

"Okay"

I sauntered out of the sauna to the back of the building, hung my clothes, and walked back inside.

"He sat there waiting for me," how adorable.

I lay on the mat and he lay beside me. The mat is small, and the cover clothes are small too, but we managed to sleep.

I felt a heavy weight on my back when I woke up. I tried to move but I couldn't, I turned my head to the left but I didn't see Wang anywhere, only for him to be sleeping on my back. He must have been uncomfortable, maybe the mat was hard and cold.

I turned carefully not to wake him up and rolled him onto the mat, using the quilt to cover him up.

I walked to the back of the building, pulled my clothes from where I hung them, and went to take a shower.

"When I walked back in, he was awake sitting on the mat, knees curled up to his chest.

You're awake? He raised his head to look at me and nodded.

It's still early, go back to sleep.

I can't, I'm sorry I slept on your back, I kept rolling and sleeping on the cold floor.

But you slept on the cold floor the first time I saw you.

I didn't know when I slept off after crying for hours, I was hungry and exhausted. It felt comfortable then.

It's okay, you can sleep on my back whenever you want. I'm going to work. I pulled money out of my pocket and gave it to him.

I was halfway to work when I remembered his father might come today and pick him up.

I ran back in the direction of the stores. I don't know how long I ran but I was tired, so I stopped and placed my hands on my knees to catch my breath. When I raised my head, I saw him sitting beside the store.

I walk to where he is sitting, Wang. He was surprised to see me.

Are you okay? He stood up as he saw me.

Yes, I am fine, in case your father comes to pick you up today, can you please drop your father's number and house address for me with the sauna manager?

He smiled at me and closed the gap between us. Don't worry Zhan ge, I will make him wait till you get back from work so he can thank you in person.

I returned his smile, nodded my head, and walked back to work.

"A part of me wishes his dad would come to pick him up and another part of me wishes he won't come."

I brushed the thought away and walked to work, unfortunately for me today. My boss got to work before me and I know he will remove money from my salary. I didn't bother arguing with him.

When I got back, I saw him sitting there looking sad, and I felt really bad his father didn't come for him.

Wang, I smile and walk to sit beside him.

Zhan ge, welcome. How was work?

Stressful but the pay is not bad.

We sat there in silence and it was comfortable until the ramen vendor was out again.

We should leave. Wang stood up and stretched his hand to me. I took it and we both went across the street to eat ramen.

"This was our daily routine for the past three months" he was always disappointed but he never stopped going to the store his dad asked him to wait for him.

Now that I have an extra mouth to feed, I started doing double shifts after the fourth month. I will work morning and night for a week and have two days off. I am also saving a lot of money as well.

I'm off today so Wang and I decided to go house hunting. We saw a couple of good places but above my budget and we saw some that I didn't like. We decided to try again tomorrow.

On weekends the sauna is always busy, so I and Wang went to the backyard. There's an old bench that I always sit on.

Zhan ge, I have always wanted to ask you, we are not related, but why do you tell people I am your brother?

I know we are not related, but we can be friends if you don't want to be my brother.

I like being your brother, but we can... he went silent.

Can be, what? I asked curiously.

"Nothing."

Wang, we can be what? I asked again.

"Nothing," Zhan ge.

After a couple of minutes, I spoke again. Want to talk about your dad?

We came to see his sister, and he told me to wait for him in front of the store. He was going to call her to ask for her address. Well, you know the rest.

How come he didn't have her address?

She said she didn't know when we were coming and if she was going to be at work or home. So calling to inquire about the address is only normal.

Okay, what of your mom? I ask.

I don't know, she left I guess. Didn't grow up to meet her and dad didn't talk about her.

Oh, well, my dad died when I was 5 years old, and my mother dropped me in a motherless baby's home when I was 8 years old. I was there till I was 14 years old. I left 7 months ago and slept around for a while until I got a job in a quarry and started sleeping in the sauna.

I'm sorry about that. Wang mumbled.

Sorry, about what? Don't be, please.

"Once we get an apartment, I will look for a school around for you to attend."

Zhan ge, Do I have to go to school? I have always wanted to be a chef.

That doesn't mean you can't go to school, Wang. How about you go after school? So you won't be alone while I am at work.

Makes sense, but I don't want you spending all your savings on me. I'm not a charity.

You are my brother, Wang, and we can be whatever you want us to be later.

First time he laughed and I thought it was funny too, so I laughed.

We should get dinner and maybe take a walk, I want to show you somewhere.

We walked hand in hand to get Singapore noodles and chicken. Now we can eat other things aside from bland ramen.

Zhan, I have been meaning to talk to you but I have not seen you around for the past week. Mr. Lan pulled me to his side.

Oh, hope no problem, Mr. Lan. I couldn't help but ask, we only have customers and vendor relationships.

No, nothing at all. I have a friend who lives five streets away from here. He got a job in another state and moved out yesterday. He gave me the key to his apartment with a year's rent upfront and asked if my boys would live there but we have a house they are used to so I thought of you and your brother. Or don't you want to move out of the sauna? He asked.

We actually went house hunting today. But we didn't see anyone we liked within our budget.

I can take you there tomorrow morning before I go to work. Mr. Lan said happily.

Really, you'd do that for us?

Yes, I will. He gave us a genuine smile.

Okay, thank you very much. We got our food and left. There's a bridge on the other side of the sauna with beautiful lightning. I took Wang there and am glad he loved it.

The next morning, we got up early and waited outside the sauna for Mr. Lan.

He came and took us to the house. It's a one-bedroom apartment with a kitchenette and bathroom. It was clean with wallpapers.

Wang liked it especially because it has wallpapers.

So how much does your friend want to take? I ask, praying it is within my budget since Wang loves it.

Oh, I'm glad you like it. He doesn't want money since he wants my boys to stay. Why don't you use the money to get a few things in the apartment?

Omg, really, we are very grateful. Thank you very much, sir.

He gave me a bunch of keys and I gave Wang two, kept two to myself and we dropped one under the flower pot in front of the door.

We went to the market and got a big foam. A few beddings. Wang wanted a stuffed lion and a small rabbit key holder. We got toiletries and a few other things. When we finished arranging there was still time. I decided it was a good time to look for schools around and a catering school.

Luckily, we got both a school and a catering center not far from the house.

From school to work, it will be good for Wang since I do double shifts.

His name is Wang Yibo but during registration, he used Wang Xiao. Brothers right? And whatever later, he laughed saying the last part.

Yes, I agree.

We went to the sauna and I told the manager we were moving out, and thanked her for the few times I didn't have money to pay but she let me stay.

On our way back, I got new clothes for Wang since he is starting school tomorrow.

God bless the man who left his apartment for Mr. Lan and God bless Mr. Lan for thinking of us.

I work Monday to Friday evenings and spend the weekends at home. Even with a big foam Wang still sleeps on my body.

Wang

It's been seven years since I met Zhan ge and a lot has happened.

I graduated from high school this year. Zhan ge fell sick two years ago, and it scared the hell out of me but I am glad he is better now.

He quit his job and learned cooking as well, now we run our restaurant. It's not big but we make a lot. I always look forward to cooking with Zhan ge. He grew up to be a handsome man.

Xue Yang has always had a crush on me but I never liked him. One afternoon he tried talking to me but before I could ask him to leave me alone someone pushed him onto the pavement in front of the ice cream stall and he died. I was arrested but Zhan ge took the blame and went to jail.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

62K 3.2K 13
Wang Yibo and Xiao Zhan are have been in a relationship for five years. One day, Xiao Zhan propose to Yibo, but Yibo rejected him and run away. After...
153K 7.9K 42
Xiao Zhan is a filial son. He is very cheerful and generous, but he wants to build a record to be having 50 girlfriends in one year. Can he make his...
167K 12.6K 34
"You have a responsibility of china. You're the president.." xiao zhan yelled at wang yibo. "I'm sorry....i know it's all my fault..give me one more...
84.6K 4.2K 28
When Zhan stand to protect Yubin,Wang yibo who's known as the ice prince due to his coldness to people feel something as he saw Zhan. The students we...