Star-Crossed

By MorganRodgers

Beuren Elendil became friend with Thorin of Durin when they were quite young. Their first battle was fought t... More

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
Chapter 39
Chapter 40
Author's Note: Please Read!!
Chapter 42
Chapter 43
Chapter 44
Chapter 46
Chapter 47
Chapter 48
Chapter 49
Chapter 50
Chapter 51
Chapter 52
Chapter 53
Chapter 54
Chapter 55
Chapter 56
Chapter 57
Chapter 58
Chapter 59
Chapter 60
Chapter 61
Chapter 62
Chapter 63
Chapter 64
Chapter 65
Chapter 66
Chapter 67
Chapter 68
Chapter 69
Chapter 70
Chapter 71
Chapter 72
Chapter 73
Chapter74
Chapter 75
Chapter 76
Chapter 77
Chapter 78
Chapter 79
Chapter 80
Author's Note

Chapter 41

1.7K 87 13
By MorganRodgers

Once everyone was settled down, the rest of the company was led to Beuren's pavillion. Balin and Bilbo stayed however. They were gathered now around the table, telling Lord Elrond of the map and key that had been given to Thorin by his father.

"I may be able to decipher your map." The elf lord said. "It may take some time, but it may also be something simple."

"Then let us begin." Balin said.

"Well, this is where I take my leave." Beuren said, pushing her chair out and finishing off her mead.

"And why is that lassie?" Balin asked. Thorin braced himself for the nasty explanation.

"Well, I am of no use when it comes to reading ancient Dwarvish." Then she glared at Thorin. "Nor am I of the status required to set eyes on the damn thing."

"Aren't you?" Balin smiled.

"No."

"Well, your hand begs to differ." She looked at him curiously. "One finger is the ring of the Dúnedain." The ring was carved of two silver serpents, both with emerald eyes... one devouring, the other crowned with golden flowers. "And on the other a wedding ring given to you by a King." Her eyes grew and flew to her hand. She hadn't even remembered putting it on, and yet, there it sat, a diamond placed between two opals.

She opened her mouth to argue back, but, for the first time, had nothing to fight back with. For it was true, she had more than enough status to be there, it was all in her title. Beuren, daughter of Arador, heiress to the throne of Gondor, princess of the Dúnedain, wife to Thorin Oakenshield, Queen of the Blue Mountains, and rightful Queen of Erebor... yes, she was certainly supposed to be there.

Thorin allowed for a grin to play at his features. It was the first time that he'd seen anyone win an argument against Beuren. The elven lord stood, as did Gandalf. The dwarves, hobbit, and Beuren took that as their que to follow. They were led through the winding streets, lined with beautiful buildings or gardens overflowing with flowers. Beuren and her somewhat short attention span had stayed in the back with the Hobbit, telling him what each and every building was, what the names of the foreign plants were.

"Gandalf, you do realize that this map is going to tell us the way to the hidden passage way." Thorin spoke in a hushed tone.

"Mhm." The wizard replied.

"Then you know that the elves are not going to condone our journey."

"What are you trying to say?"

"I'm trying to say that this isn't a good idea, he could tell us wrong, besides, this is the..."

"I will hear no more of this." Gandalf snapped, glowering down at the dwarf king.

Elrond was patiently waiting beside Beuren, who was not so patient. She was sitting in a chair, resting lazily against the arm, sighing loudly and kicking her feet at the stone floor. The elf lord had had many run ins with dwarves, he knew all too well of their stubbornness, but Thorin was a sight to behold. He, Gandalf, and the second dwarf were arguing relentlessly over whether or not to show the map to Elrond. Curious he looked down at Beuren, getting her attention.

"Is he always this... tenacious?" She sighed, eyes widening a bit.

"Every damn day." She muttered. Finally the Dwarf relented, handing the map to Elrond.

"Erebor. What is your interest in this map?" Thorin opened his mouth to speak but was interrupted by Gandalf.

"It's mainly academic. As you know, this sort of artifact sometimes contains hidden text." He shot a warning look at Thorin, who backed off.  "You still read Ancient Dwarvish, do you not?" The elf took only seconds to figure out the mystery of the map.

"Ah, cirth ithil." Elrond said, Gandalf and Beuren nodded, giving small smirks.

"Moon runes." They both said. "An easy thing to miss." Gandalf explained, looking at Bilbo.

"Well in this case, that is true; moon runes can only be read by the light of a moon of the same shape and season as the day on which they were written." Elrond explained, tilting the map more towards the moon. Thorin stepped forward, his face looked almost desperate.

"Can you read them?"

Elrond again took lead. They group was led to a cave like outcropping in the side of one of the cliffs that surrounded the city. Several small waterfalls surrounded the space. A single thundering waterfall cascaded at the entrance, blocking part of the view of the city. At the edge was a crystal stand. It was circular, pure white crystal; it shimmered in what little light there was peaking around the silvery clouds.

"These runes were written on a Midsummer's Eve by the light of a crescent moon nearly two hundred years ago." The elf lord said, long strides allowing him to clear the distance in a mere two steps. "It would seem you were meant to come to Rivendell. Fate is with you, Thorin Oakenshield; the same moon shines upon us tonight." They all looked towards the moon, a gentle breeze picked up, moving the clouds. The moon shone bright after that. The crystal stand lit up a bit, reflecting the light, the waters fell in a glittering mist.

The hobbit was the first to notice it. The paper started glowing in small spots on the bottom right hand corner. Then Thorin noticed, the words were brighter now, a light fluorescent blue. Elrond's long slender fingers traced under the runes as he read, keeping his place.

"Stand by the gray stone when the thrush knocks, and the setting sun with the last light of Durin's Day will shine upon the keyhole." He red it as fluently as he would have read something in his own language. This only seemed to be noticed by the curious Hobbit, the others were already worrying about the riddle.

"Durin's Day?" Bilbo asked, not fully understanding.

"It is the start of the dwarves' new year, when the last moon of autumn and the first sun of winter appear in the sky together." Gandalf explained.

"This is ill news. Summer is passing. Durin's Day will soon be upon us." Thorin said looking directly at Balin. Elrond's eyes shifted to Beuren, he started putting the pieces of Gandalf's lie together.

"We still have time." Balin said. Beuren's eyes dropped, not daring to meet Elrond's.

"Time for what?" Bilbo interjected. Gandalf and Beuren shared a glance then looked away. The whole point was for the elves not to find out about this.

"To find the entrance. We have to be standing at exactly the right spot at exactly the right time. Then, and only then, can the door be opened." Balin explained to Bilbo and Thorin.

"So this is your purpose, to enter the Mountain." Elrond snapped, glaring at Beuren, then turning to Gandalf.

"What of it?" Thorin growled.

"There are some who would not deem it wise." Elrond said, handing the map to Thorin who snatched it from his hand and tucked it into his pocket.

"Like who?" Beuren challenged, stepping closer to Elrond and Gandalf.

"You are not the only guardians to stand watch over Middle-earth." Elrond explained, his tone none too happy. He turned and left, leaving everyone in an awkward silence. Gandalf and Beuren shared a look.

"Oh, would you look at the time!" Beuren said in mock surprise. "I must be going, Estel asked me to meet with him, and he'll be expecting me any second!" She hiked the hem of her skirt just passed her ankles and swept down the corridor after Elrond.

"Estel?" Thorin grumbled, clearly not understanding who the lad was.

"Who's he?" Bilbo asked, again confused.

"I have no idea." Thorin said, storming after her. The remaining three only stared after them.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

221K 6.5K 39
Elementals were once a completely separate race in Middle Earth. Now, very few exist, and they live in the forms of Elves, Dwarves, Men, and Hobbits...
72.1K 1.7K 52
Talia Rue Ashenstone had known Thorin Oakenshield all of her life. From running around the halls of Erebor in their youth to running into battle, the...
2.6K 233 19
[Completed. Words: 54.959. Pre-Hobbit setting] With broken hearts Dís and Thorin have to survive in a remorseless, cruel world. They lost everything...
20.8K 777 15
Everything happened so quickly: from the first time they met, the quest, the dragon, and now the sickness. Anne didn't want him to fall; she wouldn't...