The Transient Wife

Od greenwriter

One drunken day, Cassandra gets the proposal she can never refuse from the arrogant Philip Strindberg. Thrown... Viac

Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Epilogue

Chapter 13

325K 8.5K 156
Od greenwriter

"I'm going out," Cassandra stated hours later.

"You just got back," Philip said. He was still hunched over his computer with papers spread out over the coffee table.

"I'm going to have dinner and go to this club..." she said, tightening the string of her two-piece behind her neck.

"You're going out like that," he stated wryly.

"It's Boracay. People go out wearing stuff like this everywhere. Haven't you been to L.A.? Don't tell me you've never been to any beach party."

"Actually, yes, I've been to L.A., but this is a strange place, Cassandra. You don't just go out wearing something that invites trouble." And he belatedly added, "And no, I haven't been to any beach party."

Cassandra whirled around in surprise. "No, like never?"

"Yes."

"You're missing half of your life," she shrugged and started for the door. Her anger had subsided hours ago, but she was not going to let him know that. The tension between them was still there, and so let it be.

"I'm going with you," that one shocked her even more.

"You are? Why?"

He stared at her for a second, and then his gaze went down to look at her outfit. She was wearing a pair of plain white bikini and short denim shorts. She was planning to stroll barefooted. And as he looked at her, his face was unreadable but his eyes looked like he was ready to pounce and devour her. Unnerving but gratifying at the same time.

"What?" she asked him again when he failed to answer. That snapped him to his senses.

"I also need dinner...and a drink."

"Fine. Go get ready."

"I'm good to go," he stood up and walked with her to the door. He was wearing the same light-gray shirt and knee-length black board shorts and his black sandals.

Cassandra didn't know why her heart began to hammer as they walked out the hotel. She was going out to dinner and drinks with Philip, and something told her she had to put up guard to her already surging feminine senses. She of all people knew how alcohol could make you do things you only dream about.

*****

"Why beer?" he asked an hour later.

"Because I like it. Do I really need to explain that?"

"This one is good," he said, holding and examining his own bottle of Red Horse.

"And strong too," she reminded, "so take it slow."

"Yeah, I believe you. You've been enough evidence of that." The beer helped them both relax and enjoy the moment and the music. They sat outside the bar where some cushions were available for those who wanted to be away from the crowd. For the first time, they chose to forget they needed to fight and do crazy things to each other.

The beer helped, Philip thought.

"You've been here before?" he asked.

"Hmm... yes, for a couple of days. My..." she cut off her sentence and there it was again—that weird look on her face. "...but my companion and I chose to go home early the last time. There has been some kind of fire in this area."

Philip nodded and leaned back, his hands behind him on the sand. There had been a man in her life. He was certain of it now. But the atmosphere and the two bottles of beer made him choose not to pry.

"When are you going to tell me the real reason why you decided to marry me?" she asked.

His brow arched an inch. "I told you—I'm not the person to tell you that. It is part of the contract."

"Stop lying," she said in a lighter tone. "Dad told me there is no contract. Not one with you getting me for a wife at least."

Philip was surprised. "He did?" When she nodded, he turned to her with a frown. "Then why did you marry me? You knew you did not have to."

The question brought a bitter laugh out of her throat. "Despite the craziness of all this, I know my father is in big trouble and when he told me this is the best solution, I believed him."

Philip relaxed a little. "Then why all the questions?"

"You think I am that stupid? Of course, I would want answers. I may have gone through this wedding with eyes shut but there is no way I am getting out of this hell without knowing the truth. And I figured you are the best person to tell me what my father has gotten himself into."

"I can't tell you anything. Just believe what your father told you. It's all need-to-know, trust me."

"Yeah, right," she said dryly. "You'll tell me eventually. I promise you that."

"I'd love to see you try."

*****

Cassandra was suddenly feeling tired to make him talk. She had plenty of time to do that once they got back home. Cassandra looked around her and smiled, feeling the cool wind of the ocean. She looked ahead where the waves were gently splashing against the shore.

Dennis had enjoyed this place, she thought. Then she frowned. Or was it simply her? She could not remember Dennis dipping in the water. He always had his phone with him the whole time. No, of course he enjoyed his stay here. Or maybe he didn't and she only thought so.

There she was again. Doubting each moment she spent with Dennis. The doubting started a long time ago but she had always denied them, thinking she did things right. She did everything that made him happy. He must have enjoyed being with her. He must have.

Cassandra cleared her throat to block the tears.

"I think I'll go dip in."

He frowned, "Dip in?"

"The ocean," she tipped her chin at the direction of the waves.

"It's dark out there, Cass, I don't think it's safe. No one's even out there."

"I won't go far," she stood and started walking.

"Hey," he tried to call, but she knew he knew her enough to know that she was never going to listen. "Damn," he muttered and followed after her.

Cassandra had already reached the part where the water met the shore. She dipped her foot into the fresh wave and jumped, surprised by the coldness. "God its freezing!" she shouted, laughing.

"Cass, let's go, you can't possibly take a dip in this water," Philip took her hand and began to pull her back.

She pulled right back, chuckling. Yes, she was not such a good drunk all the time. "Just one dip!"

"You'll freeze to death!" he shouted as the wind grew stronger.

The beer could have been a sort of energy drink for her because she was able to get away from his grip and she started to run. Philip ran after her, caught her around the waist, and carried her back from the waves, shouting about her impulsiveness. She struggled with a laugh and that was what made them both land on the sand.

"I give up," he said, feeling the pain on his back, his eyes closed. Cassandra landed with him, but it was mostly his fall because she was on top. He rolled to his side with a grunt, not letting go of her waist. Her back was against his chest and when her drunken laughter finally subsided, she turned to face him with laughing eyes.

"Thank you," she said in a whisper.

His eyebrows met. "For what?"

"For making me laugh," she replied as she wiped away a tear.

"You laughed on your own," he retorted, "because you're drunk."

"It's still the same," she said, "I wouldn't have laughed if I was alone."

"Are you sad?" he asked. His question was broad and sounded stupid, but she knew what he meant.

"No...yes...maybe."

"Is it because of this marriage?"

She chuckled again, "No. I'm pissed and angry to what you and my father did, but it is not something to cry over. I know how to deal with it."

"But you can't deal with the reason that keeps you...unhappy," he stated matter-of-factly.

Cassandra just smiled in response. She was drunk, but she had learned a long time ago how to keep quiet and keep things to herself with or without alcohol.

"You make me wonder about a lot of things about you, you know that?" his eyes looked deeper into hers. Their position on the sand was not uncomfortable at all. Actually, the wind was helping ease down the haziness the beer had brought earlier. Like real lovers, they lay there on the sand, arms around each other talking and gazing into each other's eyes contentedly without bothering to have another brawl.

For the first time, they were at peace.

"Like what?" she asked softly.

He shrugged, "I don't know. Why you fear riding shotgun? Why you wear a façade to hide the great sadness I know is there somewhere... and many others."

Cassandra was quite taken aback. She didn't know he was that observant.

"How can you say I'm unhappy?"

"Your eyes...I don't know, I just know," he shrugged and she saw him grin genuinely for the first time.

Cassandra returned the smile, but it did not actually reach her eyes because she was quite busy looking at his really edible lips. When she returned her eyes back to his, she saw that same fire of longing again. She knew that look. She had seen it in his eyes from time to time, but it easily went away every time they got into an argument. And she was quite sure he could see that same longing in her eyes as well.

She felt his arm tighten around her and his head drew closer, his lips getting nearer.

Cassandra closed her eyes and tilted her chin to meet his kiss.

Pokračovať v čítaní

You'll Also Like

Mistaken Od Karsyn

Tínedžerská beletria

141 27 11
The smooth life of a 19-year-old boy's life was going just fine until it goes into a different direction as a strange girl that is the same age as hi...
568 52 14
It's trusting her no matter what.Those heartwarming night texts that lights the soul.Its when you mess up and she is mad at you and all you can do is...
3.9M 117K 39
Published by Blvnp Incorporated. A sample that consists of only 5 chapters, the rest are taken down. Note that the book would not be back on Wattpa...
205K 12K 36
He smirked, knowing he was on the winning side. "So it's a done deal for three months?" He raised his eyebrows, putting his hand forth for a handshak...