Love at Sea (Finnick Odair)

By BeachSunshine

โFinnick and Taiya have kept up with their training more than any other tribute,.โž Haymitch said shaking his... More

Cast
Playlist
ACT ONE - The Beginning
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Tributes of the 67th Hunger Games
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
ACT TWO - The Recovery
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
ACT THREE - Catching Fire
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
ACT FOUR - Mockingjay - Part One
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
ACT FIVE: Mockingjay - Part Two
Chapter 1
Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Chapter 6
Chapter 7
Chapter 8
Chapter 9
Chapter 10
Chapter 11
Chapter 12
Chapter 13
Chapter 14
Chapter 15
Chapter 16
Chapter 17
Chapter 18
Chapter 19
Chapter 20
Chapter 21
Chapter 22
Chapter 23
Chapter 24
Chapter 25
Chapter 26
Chapter 27
Chapter 28
Chapter 29
Chapter 30
Chapter 31
Chapter 32
Chapter 33
Chapter 34
Chapter 35
Chapter 36
Chapter 37
Chapter 38
ACT SIX - The Aftermath
Chapter 1

Chapter 9

15.1K 480 720
By BeachSunshine

1 year later

In an effort to find more ways to interact with each other at Capitol parties, Finnick and Taiya had created a game of pulling faces across the room at each other until one of them got caught. It was very mild entertainment that was constantly mocked by Johanna, but it was a small glimmer of entertainment that would make the draining nights go slightly faster.

"What are you doing?" Seneca asked as he squeezed her waist slightly. She'd lost.

"Nothing," she smiled at him. "What were you saying?" she asked as she turned back to him and his brother Romulus.

Seneca Crane was an enigma, one neither she nor Finnick could figure out.

It was the 69th Hunger Games Victory Tour Party in the Capitol. They'd been 'dating' for around 2 years now. And as false as it may be in Taiya's mind, it was very much real for Seneca. And yet he had made no move on her past fairly innocent kissing. She - and Finnick - had been forced to visit the Capitol frequently throughout the year, even when the Games were not on. These trips were mainly for Taiya to visit Seneca, but Snow had allowed Finnick to come to support her, in order to keep them on his side. However, he had not hesitated to monetise Finnick's presence at the same time.

Every time she and Seneca had been out - whether that was to some Capitol party, or even dinner - Seneca had walked her home each time and left her at the door to the Tribute Centre. There was no move to accompany her upstairs, nor to bring her back to his place. But she wasn't naive to the fact that it was on his mind. Perhaps he knew it wasn't on her mind, or maybe he was uncommonly gentlemanly. But Taiya could confidently say the two of them had developed a good kinship, although platonic on her side. She was equally as fond of his brother, Romulus. Both had been raised in a Capitol environment, but seemed to defy the obnoxious stereotype... well Seneca's beard was the exception.

"We were saying how District 4 were nearly impressive. I mean 2 wins in the decade, it's not bad, but three would've been impressive," Romulus teased.

"Hey, you just wait. Maybe the 70th Hunger Games is our year," Taiya smiled.

"Miss Ambersnow, the President requests an audience," a presidential aide interrupted as he walked up to the group.

"Ok," Taiya nodded nervously. "I'll be back later," she said as she released Seneca and followed the aid. The aid seemed to deliberately go out of the way to walk past Finnick, making sure his attention was captured. Finnick knew where she was going. The dread on his face was evident.

*********************

"No," Taiya rudely interrupted. "Not a chance."

"I'm going to have to urge you to reconsider Miss Ambersnow. You know the kind of outcome your decisions can have," President Snow warned.

Taiya leaned forward in her chair. "I said no. Finnick and I have both sacrificed a lot of happiness to play your game. But I will not marry him. The only person I would ever consider marrying is my partner. Not your Capitol pawn," she hissed as she stood up. "You won't change my mind on that, this is too far. I am in love with Finnick. Not Seneca. Thank you for your time," she snapped as she stormed out of his office furiously.

He'd taken it too far. She would play his game while she was in the Capitol so long as she could live her own life back home. Marrying Seneca would tie her to the Capitol permanently. Away from Finnick permanently. And that wasn't negotiable.

"Jo!" she yelled as she spotted her friend after storming out of the Presidential Mansion.

Johanna's eyes widened as she noticed where Taiya came from and she ran up to her. "Are you ok?"

"We're drinking," Taiya snarled as she took Johanna's hand and dragged her to the bar.

"Are you sure?" Johanna asked sceptically.

"Yep," Taiya nodded through gritted teeth. "The decision I just made is going to get someone killed. We're drinking."

Johanna's eyes only momentarily widened before they hardened. Taiya didn't need emotional support right now. She needed Johanna's carefree, hardened spirit.

"4 tequila shots!" she ordered from the bartender. "We're getting drunk."

"Cheers to that," Taiya breathed as she raised her shot. As she did she spotted Finnick watching her carefully from across the room. She kept her eyes on him as she downed her shot before picking up her second and drinking that. He didn't need words to understand something bad was going on.

"And two mojito's for the road," Johanna instructed the barman.

"Do me a favour?" Taiya whispered to Johanna.

"Of course."

"Keep me away from the Crane's for tonight. I'm drinking. I don't know what I'll say."

"On it," Johanna smiled as she handed Taiya a mojito. "Drink up. You want to talk about it?"

"Nope," Taiya popped out after she had a sip.

"Great. Then we're dancing," Johanna smirked as she grabbed Taiya's hand and dragged her to the dance floor. "Gloss!" she yelled as she spotted the hulking man on the edge of the dance floor.

"What do you want Mason?" he scowled. Johanna hadn't exactly endeared herself to the other victors. Taiya and Finnick were the only ones who she tolerated.

Johanna leant up to his ear and whispered lowly, "something happened with Taiya and Snow. We're drinking, you're not. Help play defence and keep the Crane's away from us."

Gloss' eyes widened as he looked over at Taiya's emotionless eyes. "On it," he agreed.

"Great," she smirked at him before dragging Taiya into the middle of the dance floor.

After a few minutes of dancing Taiya had finished her mojito. After the two champagnes she'd already had earlier, her head was definitely feeling lighter and her inhibitions lower. Which explains why she was so enthusiastically dancing amongst a crowd of Capitolites. She and Johanna really didn't care who was watching. They were dancing back to back, whipping their hair around wildly as they giggled.

The music then changed to the national anthem of Panem and Taiya groaned loudly, making Johanna laugh as she slapped a hand over her mouth. It was time for the Presidential welcome.

Johanna and Taiya both grouchily made their way over to the balcony to stand with the crowd. "Oo, here," Johanna smiled as she lifted two champagnes off a waiter's tray and handed one to Taiya.

They clinked glasses together and began drinking.

"You might want to slow down there," Tyler whispered as he came up behind the pair. "People are noticing."

"Who cares?" Johanna snorted.

"Tay?" Tyler asked, trying to plead with the one who was typically more reasonable.

"Who cares," she scoffed. "I want to drink."

"What happened?" he asked quietly.

"Nothing I can talk about now," she snarled quietly at him. "Drop it."

"Yeah Tyler," Johanna said, emphasising his name. "It's an open bar. Let the fish stick and I enjoy it."

"Yeah Tyler," Taiya copied. "Tanbark and I want to enjoy the bar," she teased, before yelping as Johanna punched her arm.

Tyler sighed before he nodded and stepped back slightly. It would only create a bigger scene if he interfered with them.

As soon as Tyler stepped back, Taiya turned to Johanna and started giggling. They had beaten Tyler. Taiya's giggle then set off Johanna's and the two girls giggled at the back of the crowd through the presidential address. Luckily for them, Gloss and Cashmere had noticed and had stood in front of the girls to partial block off the rest of the crowd's view of them.

And as soon as the Presidential welcome ended, the girls were back at the bar.

"Haymitch!" Taiya cheered, slapping the bar as the older man slumped up against it.

"Well if it isn't the little girl from 4," he slurred.

"Haymitch is super cool, Jo," Taiya promised as she flung an arm around his shoulders.

"And it looks like you've finally become fun," he laughed. "I told you years ago. Vodka will be your friend."

"Vodka!" Taiya gasped as she looked at Johanna.

"On it!" Johanna cheered back as she flagged down the bartender.

Taiya moved in front of Haymitch and slapped her hands down on his shoulder. "I miss you when I don't get to see you," she sighed.

Haymitch studied her eyes before the cheer in his face fell. "Something happened."

"Don't worry about it," she dismissed quickly and he nodded. Victor's understood trauma, and they understood that people needed to deal with it in their own way. They respected each other's processes.

"Vodka!" Johanna announced. "One for you old man," she added as she pushed a shot glass towards Haymitch. The trio clinked their glasses before drinking the shot.

Taiya coughed. "You were right Haymitch. That drink is gross."

"It'll get you where you want to go," he smiled drunkenly.

Taiya turned back to Johanna with a wide smile. "Another?"

"Another!"

*********************

"And then!" Taiya laughed as she slumped against Gloss. "The fish asked the turtle why he crossed the road!"

"Why did he cross the road?" Gloss asked.

"Huh?"

"Your joke."

"I don't have a joke?" Taiya asked, already forgetting she'd been in the middle of telling him a joke.

"Yeah you are more than ready to go home," he smiled. "How are you getting home? Crane usually walks with you."

"No!" she panicked, clawing onto his arm. "I don't want that."

"Ok," he nodded quickly, pulling her nails off him. He sighed as he looked around the room. "Cashmere, you watch them. I'm going to get them a chaperone home," he requested from his sister before he stood up.

"You know you're a lot harder to get along with when you're drunk," Cashmere sighed slightly.

"Oh Cash," Taiya sighed as she clumsily hugged her friend. "You're a sweetie," Taiya smiled as she pinched her cheeks.

"Bleh, gross," Johanna mocked. She was not a fan of the careers, even when drunk.

Taiya gasped and turned to her friend. "I have a brilliant idea."

"What is it?" Johanna's eyes lit up.

Taiya went to explain, but side-eyed Cashmere first. She would not be on board and would try to stop them. So Taiya leaned in and whispered in Johanna's ear. "Want to go swimming in the private fountain? I know where it is."

"Big yes," Johanna agreed.

"Count of 3?" Taiya suggested.

"Woah what?" Cashmere panicked as she leaned forward, picking up the signs that the two girls were about to make a run for it.

"3!" Johanna screamed, grabbing Taiya's hand and bolting away. The two girls continued giggling as they dashed straight past Gloss and Finnick.

"This way, this way," Taiya pulled Johanna around a corner, losing her balance in the process and falling into a bush. This sent Johanna into a fit of giggles.

"Total wipeout!" she laughed hysterically as she pulled Taiya out of the bush.

Taiya stumbled around as she tried to regain her balance. "Want to know something cool?" she asked and Johanna nodded enthusiastically. "Romulus told me that alcohol gives you wrinkles," she laughed. "And that's why Haymitch looks so old!"

This sent both Taiya and Johanna into another fit of laughter. Unfortunately for them, the noise led their chaperone straight to them.

"What are you two doing?" Finnick asked as he immediately wrapped an arm around Taiya's waist to help her balance.

"We are not drunk," Taiya assured him.

"Really?" he smiled.

"Sure thing, fish stick 2!" Johanna assured.

"Bop," Taiya smiled as she poked Finnick on the nose. Both girls remained silent for around 30 seconds before bursting into giggles.

"Fantastic," he muttered to himself. He didn't have any appointments tonight and had been hoping to spend the rest of the evening with Taiya in their room. He hadn't been expecting to babysit a drunk Taiya and Johanna.

"We made a song want to hear it?" Taiya asked, placing a hand on his chest.

"Sure," he nodded.

Taiya's eyes widened with excitement as she quickly pushed away from him and went to stand next to Johanna. "Ready!"

"Born ready!" Johanna yelled.

"5, 8, 9!" Taiya counted incorrectly.

"Taiya and Jo! Jo and Taiya! And Haymitch is here too," they sang off-key. "Look over there, there's Chaff. But who's the coolest? We are," they smiled as they stood back to back with their arms crossed.

"You two are idiots," Finnick laughed. "And I bet you're going to regret that little song routine in the morning."

"You're meant to be supportive, you're my boyfriend," Taiya lectured.

"I'm sorry," he apologised as he tried to stifle his laugh. "It was excellent guys."

"I told you he'd like it," Taiya smiled proudly at Johanna.

Johanna whispered something in Taiya's ear that Finnick wasn't able to decipher.

Taiya gasped in excitement and turned to Finnick. "I just had an excellent idea."

"Did you now?" he asked, looking curiously at Johanna who'd taken a step away from Taiya.

"This is all my idea. Mine alone. But can Johanna have a sleepover?"

"Seriously?" he smiled. "Yeah, why not. We've got to get you two home first though.

"Yes!" Taiya cheered. "Let's go," she grabbed Finnick's hand to pull him out of the garden.

"Hey," he stopped her. "Love," he whispered quietly as he withdrew his hand. "We can't do that out there."

Taiya's eyes immediately looked down. "I know," she replied solemnly. "I can do this though," she smiled softly as she took hold of Johanna's hand and skipped back to the party.

"Ok, hold on," Finnick ran after them. "Go around the edge of the party to get out alright? Fewer eyes that way."

"On it captain," Taiya saluted him as she and Johanna skipped away, miraculously managing to avoid the Crane's who were standing on the other side of the party. It'd been a whole victor group effort to keep Seneca at bay all night. He'd constantly been trying to get close to her to see if she was ok when a new victor would engage in a conversation with him. He'd never spoken to that many victors in his life. Even Finnick Odair had gone out of his way to speak to him.

As soon as Johanna and Taiya had exited the party, they were skipping down the main street towards the Tribute Centre.

"Taiya and Jo! Jo and Taiya!" they sang all the way down the street.

"Dance with me!" Taiya laughed as she spun under Johanna's arm. "Dip me!" she instructed, and Johanna dipped Taiya down. She, unfortunately, didn't drunkenly have enough coordination for such an action and dropped Taiya.

Taiya was promptly saved from smacking onto the concrete by Finnick, who had caught her. "Alright, we're nearly back ok? Please no injuries."

"We are strong independent women," Johanna lectured.

"Yeah," Taiya concurred, stepping out of Finnick's hold.

"I really don't know who's the bad influence on who," he rolled his eyes. "Come on," he ushered them in the door. "We're going to the fourth floor."

*********************

"Ugh," Taiya groaned as she woke up the next morning.

"Shut up," Johanna complained, hitting her in the head with a pillow.

Taiya gave her friend a shove before she rolled over and spotted some pills and a glass of water waiting for her on the nightstand. Sitting up slowly she downed the water and took the pills before walking out of the bedroom and into the living room where Tyler and Finnick were sitting on the couch chatting.

"Is this what drinking feels like?" she groaned as she sat down next to Finnick and flung her legs across his lap before nestling her head into his neck.

Finnick laughed softly. "You took the pills?" he asked and she nodded. "Capitol invention. It cures hangovers, and should kick in soon."

"I think it's already working," she admitted as she felt her head pain clear slightly.

"Want to tell us what last night was about?" Tyler asked, making her stiffen. "You're going to have to tell us, Tay."

Taiya lifted her head to look at him. "I refused an order," she said, confirming the two men's suspicions.

"What was the order?" Tyler asked.

Taiya looked up at Finnick before sighing as she lifted her head off his shoulder. "Snow wants me to marry Seneca Crane. I said that will never happen. I've done a lot, but I am not doing that," she said firmly. "He warned me there would be consequences. Someone's going to die."

*********************

6 months later

The past six months had been blissful for Taiya and Finnick. There were no visits to the Capitol and they were doing better than ever.

At least until this year's reaping.

"Ladies first," Moxie chirped as she dug a name out of the bowl. "Annie Cresta."

Taiya didn't feel shocked. She didn't feel anything. It'd been naive to think Snow would compromise. This was it. This was the punishment.

"And now for the boys. Clem Waters!"

"I volunteer!"

And that was when the shock set in.

*********************

What is this? Another update! What!!!

I hope you like it. Honestly, I'm kind of worried I rushed this one, it's really just a filler chapter, but I'm super eager to get to 74th/75th Games.

Also when writing this I imagine Taiya and Johanna dancing wildly to 'Look What You Made Me Do' by Taylor Swift

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

10.6K 346 10
แด›สœแด‡ สœแดœษดษขแด‡ส€ ษขแด€แดแด‡๊œฑ แดกษชสŸสŸ แด…แด‡๊œฑแด›ส€แดส แด‡แด แด‡ษด แด›สœแด‡ แด˜แดœส€แด‡๊œฑแด› แด๊œฐ สœแด‡แด€ส€แด›๊œฑ, แด€ษดแด… แด›สœแด€แด›'๊œฑ แด‡xแด€แด„แด›สŸส แดกสœแด€แด› สœแด€แด˜แด˜แด‡ษดแด‡แด… แด›แด แด˜แดแดส€ แด€สŸแด‡xษช๊œฑ ส€ษชส™ส™แดษด. [๊œฐษชษดษดษชแด„แด‹ แดแด…แด€ษชส€ x แดแด„] แด˜แดœส™สŸษช๊œฑสœแด‡แด…: 05.0...
40.6K 625 25
'๐•พ๐–๐–Š ๐–œ๐–†๐–˜ ๐–‰๐–Š๐–™๐–Š๐–—๐–’๐–Ž๐–“๐–Š๐–‰, ๐–˜๐–๐–Š ๐–œ๐–†๐–˜ ๐–Ž๐–“๐–‰๐–Š๐–˜๐–™๐–—๐–š๐–ˆ๐–™๐–Ž๐–‡๐–‘๐–Š, ๐–˜๐–๐–Š ๐–œ๐–†๐–˜ ๐•ฌ๐–™๐–๐–Š๐–“๐–† ๐–‚๐–Ž๐–“๐–™๐–Š๐–—, ๐–†๐–“๐–‰ ๐–“๐–”๐–™๐–๐–Ž๐–“๐–Œ, ๐–“๐–”...
434K 15.4K 22
โif a victor is considered desirable, the president gives them as a reward or allows other people to buy them for an exorbitant amount of money. if y...
6.8K 333 67
The day snow fell upon Victor's Village, everything changed. There was no excitement, no joy, only the cold stare of scrutinising eyes into a child's...