The Prince's Private Symphony

By demonlover07

Eloise Bridgeton is a facinating woman. She does not play by societal rules. But what happens when there's an... More

Season One
1. Diamond of the First Water
2. Shock and Delight
3. Art of the Swoon
4. An Affair of Honor
5. The Duke and I
6. Swish
7. Oceans Apart
8. After the Rain
Season Two
1. Capital R Rake
2. Off to the Races
3. A Bee in Your Bonnet
5. Unthinkable Fate
6. The Choice
7. Harmony
Whoops
8. The Viscount Who Loved Me
Season Three

4. Victory

285 9 1
By demonlover07

If the Ancient Greeks were members of the ton, they might have added to their Olympic pentathlon one additional event.

The hosting of a country visit.

This, of course, is the week of Lady Bridgerton's annual Hearts and Flowers Ball, the year's most coveted invitation in the country, and no event better designed to show the might and mettle of its host.

While mama and Daphne were preparing for the ball, I was helping with food. Also trying to get rid of a raging headache from the night before.

I'm still not quite sure what was in that tea. I'm rolling out dough when Alex comes into the kitchen. "We need to talk about our set for tonight."

"Uh, well we should do some kind of lovely slow song for my brother and Miss Edwina. Lord Fife wishes to have a large dance song, Lord Hartely requested something upbeat," I listed off.

"Lord Hartely is going to be here?" He asked, sounding shocked.

"Of course, most of the ton was invited," I laughed, looking over at him with a confused look.

"I just didn't think you would care what he thought after how he acted at the races," Alex smiled tightly.

"He is still a guest and a male. Stuff gets to their heads, he's respectful to my mama and my family, I will be nice nothing more," I tell him. "Now, go prepare the sheet music, get some song requests from the Sharamas and Daphne."

"Yes, ma'am," he nods, walking out of the kitchen.

~

Alex and I played together in the courtyard in front of the house as the guests started to arrive. Daphne and mama greeted them. We were one song from taking a break when we saw Alex's sister and parents. We quickly finished the song and ran over with Alonzo.

"Mama, Papa," Alex grinned. "How is uncle?"

"Not well I'm afraid," he father sighed, "but no matter that now, we are here for some fun, all of us together with the Bridgertons."

"Yes, and it is lovely to see you all again," Amara smiles. "We actually have some news. I'm with child!"

"Congratulations!" Everyone tells her, but it seems that Alara looks on with a little jealousy as her husband walks off to speak with the others, leaving her with their son.

"Come, you haven't met the Sharmas yet," Alonzo tells his older sister, pulling them to follow. Him and Alex go to show his parents and sisters to the newest members of the ton.

I head over to Eloise and Colin. We're talking for a few minutes when we see a beautiful someone heading over in a green dress. "Oh, Pen! Oh, you are finally here," I smile, hugging her.

"With only my own family to speak to, I've begun talking to the trees," Eloise laughs.

"Is she calling me wooden?" Colin asks.

"I don't think so," Pen disagrees.

"I could call him worse," I laughed.

"Is there not another pamphlet on women's rights to read somewhere?" Colin asked the two of us.

"They are both quite done with that," Pen tells him, looking at the both of us. 

"El has brought one with us here to read with Len and the Bonapartes. Prepare yourself for many a quotation, Pen," he tells her.

"The printer's pamphlet? I thought you'd realized he was not connected to Lady Whistledown. Those letter K's have not been smudged for some time now," Pen tells her.

"I am just as much interested in their new letters now. It is a rather radical publication, which is why I seem to like it so much," Eloise counters.

"They have been quite enjoyable to read and debate about," I told her with a smile.

"The apprentice there, Mr. Theo Sharpe–"

"You know his name? Don't think you're getting into dangerous waters? That side of town?"

"We've tried to dissuade her from it," Colin tells her. "Perhaps you can convince her while we are gone today."

"Where are you going? Are you joining the men on the hunt?"

"Len is, I am not. I have decided to pay your cousin a visit, in fact," Colin says, he knows how much most of us disagree on it.

"Miss Thompson? I rather think I am not the only one getting into dangerous waters," Eloise says, snarkily.

"Eloise, Eleanor, Penelope," mama calls. "I think you will find we have much to offer the young ladies today."

"Yes, well, Pen is a young lady, and we do have so much to catch up on, so—"

"Eloise, I hope you will behave yourself this week. We– We are hosts. Perhaps you, your sister, and Penelope might like to spend some time with the other young ladies in attendance. Hmm? Or, at the very least, there will be some good gossip to absorb."

"We'd not dream of doing anything different, Lady Bridgerton," Penelope promises.

"Well, actually, I have already spoken to Anthony about joining them on the hunt. I have my bow at the ready, my horse, and I've worn my riding outfit," I tell her with a proud smile. I'm excited for this. My riding outfit sort of looks like a dress, but it isn't full and I'm wearing pants with it to be able to move better. 

She sighs, "very well, I hope you enjoy yourself with Alex and Alonzo."

"Alonzo's not coming," I tell her. "He's decided to stay back this year to help get things prepared for the ball." More like get closer to Edwina.

"Oh, well in that case, I'll have him help me," she grins. "He is always such a great company."

Benedict came up to mama and I.,"Are you ready to go and grab Anthony for the hunt?"

"Yes, are you?" I ask.

"Yes," nods. "Good day mother." We both nod to her and go to find Anthony sitting with Kate and Edwina.

"Are we all set for the hunt, Brother?" Benedict asks.

"Indeed we are," Anthony says, getting up.

"Kate, tell him how you used to shoot all the time."

"Miss Edwina," Anthony laughs. Oh, is Kate trying to join us. I would love that! I like Kate. She's very smart and can stand up to basically everyone. 

"Kate is being modest," Edwina insists.

"Do you not think it's true?" Kate asks.

"Perhaps your sister aims straight on the field, but surely she would have some trouble managing–" Anthony concurs and I stare at him confused. I look to Benedict and he does too.

"Why would you assume I had any trouble managing at all, my lord?"

"I only mean to say–"

"Because I am a woman?"

"No No. I did not say that." I look at him shocked. He let me join, why not her?

"But you thought it."

Anthony laughs again, "Ladies do not hunt."

"Do not, or are not allowed to?" Kate asks.

"I am certain Lady Danbury can spare a maid to act as chaperone," Edwina says, trying to defuse this. She looks over at me while I glare at my brother and gives me a smile. Benedict looks quite joyful about this encounter, but I am downright pissed.

"Oh, what fun you will all have. Getting to know each other all the better," Edwina smiles at the two.

"What an excellent idea, Miss Edwina," Benedict compliments.

"Yes, indeed," I agree.

"Surely we can make an exception, just this one time. We are on our private lands, after all. And who knows? Perhaps Miss Sharma can teach you a thing or two," Ben laughs.

"I would also like to add, if I may my lord?" Kate asks.

"Yes?" Anthony asks, annoyed.

"Why would you say that women are not allowed to hunt... when your sister is standing right there, ready for the hunt today," she says, smirking at him. He looks over panicked and I cross my arms, glaring at him.

"I forgot you were standing here," he tells me.

"I'm sure," I sneer, walking to grab my things.

"Are you almost ready?" Alex asks as I grab my bow.

"Yes," I tell him angrily.

"What's wrong?"

"Anthony, he told Kate she wasn't allowed to come today because women shouldn't go hunting," I say, strapping my arrows to my back angrily. I placed my bow on my back as well. The one exception my brother told me was that I had to have a gun just in case, but I have decided to ignore that. 

"Your brother is a nitwit," he says with an eye roll. "Don't worry, we're going to have a lot of fun. Maybe sneak off so we can actually find some deer, large groups make it hard."

"Yes, I know," I breathe in, trying to calm myself. "Alright, let's grab the horses."

~

We started the hunt heading to our camp. That is usually where we find the most deer. "Look, there are tracks going off to the left," I whisper to Alex. He looks over there. "In the moss. You can see the cloven shape."

"Well, I think it's time for an adventure," he smirks. We stay back a little, getting away from the group and run off towards the left after the tracks. The trees get narrower and narrower with no path. Soon we tie our horses to trees and give them a little food.

I take out my bow and an arrow as we follow the tracks.

I watched as we made it to a clearing of grass and Alex took out some berries, leaving them on the ground. We hide behind a log and wait. "You know, we're alone, this would be a perfect opportunity."

"Alex–"

"I'm just saying for the next week we won't have any time to just us anymore," he smiles. I grab his face and pull it into mine. We started getting rough and soon he moved his lips to my collarbone. I bite my lip as I smile before pushing him away.

"What?"

"I have to wear a ballgown soon, there would be no hiding anything," I tell him. "However, you can hide anything with an overcoat." I move on top of him and move his jacket to the side and start kissing his neck, making him moan. Soon I feel him get excited below me. I hear chewing noises so I remove my lips and look up. He wines and I shush him as I grab my bow and load an arrow. There was a large buck eating the berries.

I bull back on my bow, steady my hand and wait for the right moment. I narrow my eyes before I realease the arrow and let it go flying into the head of the deer as it falls to the ground. 

I hear a quiet clapping from Alex, "Beautiful, now, want to come and finish what you started?" He asked.

~

"The men out enjoying the sunshine. A sign of a great hunt," Kate hums.

"I suppose you prefer the darkness, Miss Sharma?" Anthony suggests, chuckling with Lord Featherington.

"What I would prefer is to be allowed to follow my own instincts on this hunt instead of blindly following the guide," she tells him. "I am sure your sister and Lord Bonaparte have already found something worthwhile."

"What can you mean?" Benedict asked.

"Have you not realized they left ages ago?"

"Where did they run off to?" Lord Hartely asked. "I was hoping to speak with her and you in fact, Lord Bridgerton."

"That can wait until after the hunt," he dismisses Hartely.

"They followed the path left instead of right," she tells them. "Just like we should've done."

"Should we not be concerned they ventured off on their own?" Haretly asked Benedict.

"No, they probably saw something and didn't want to cause a scene. If they come back with a deer we can say that they ran off with a maid watching over them," Benedict told him. "While knowing them, they'll probably come back with more than one."

They all heard a gunshot and turned in that direction.

"I believe that is them, now," Benedict laughed once more.

~

We left the deer there for a moment. We were not able to take it back ourselves. We would probably meet back up with the group so we left some ribbon tied around trees so we could come back.

We didn't want to leave with only one kill.

We stocked behind this large group. I nodded at Alex and he took out his gun and I did my bow. We raised them at the same time and shot at two different bucks. They both fell to the ground as the others ran.

We never kill any babies or mothers. One this helps their population control and two it's sad to kill them. A baby without a mama or a mama who lost her baby. That's just terrible.

"I believe this causes for celebration, maybe then you can finish what was happening earlier," he hints.

"No, it's one thing doing it in a garden, another on the dirty forest ground with mud," I tell him. "You can handle it yourself for a week."

He sighs frustrated, "at least a kiss?"

I laugh before kissing him deeply. I pull away as I hear rustling.

"This way, boys. I saw movement over here," the guide calls before he comes to us with two dead bucks.

"There the two of you are," Benedict laughs. "We just found Miss Sharma and Anthony too."

"Look at this, I knew you were an amazing shot Miss Bridgerton, but not this good," Kate laughs, hugging me.

"There's another, just beyond the trees over there," Alex points to where we tied the ribbon. "And we stored our horses just past there."

"Marvelous," Lord Hartely compliments, staring at me. I smile back at him and look at my brother.

"You did very well, sister. I am happy you came with us today," he smiles proudly and I nod back at him.

"Let's tie these boys up and hall them back to camp," the guide announces and several people start loading them up as Alex shows them where the other one was.

We were walking back through the forest and to the house when Lord Hartley came up to me."Hello, Miss Bridgerton."

"Lord Hartely," I bowed my head.

"It seems we have not had a chance to speak since the race," he laughs.

"When you criticized my judgments and then lose a great sum of money on betting on a losing horse?" I asked.

"Yes," he nods with a chuckle. "I am very sorry about that and I was hoping that sometime this week we could talk, with your mama present of course, and perhaps you would save me a dance?"

"I do not know if we will have time to talk, much to prepare, people to see, but I think I will be able to save you a dance," I nod. "I do believe we have time to talk now of course?"

"Yes," he nods. "What are your views on children?"

"Pardon me?"

"It's just a question," he reasons. "You are of marrying age. Is it right for you to go hunting? What if you should get hurt?"

"I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself," I argue, getting agitated.

"I do not doubt that," he smiles tightly.

"Plus, two of my older brothers are here. Now, should you like me to get back to your question?" I asked, maybe I could scare him.

"Naturally."

"Well then, to be honest I'm a little scared of kids at the moment. The thought of them is weird to me. They are smaller versions of us, just who can't take care of themselves and need constant supervision. They are fragile, very easy to break," I told him. Wasn't any use of lying. I wanted to scare him off and this would be the best way. Most gentlemen want a woman who is confident and is able to care for kids at the drop of a hat.

"I admire your honesty and I do believe you can be a great mother, such as your own, with the right husband of course," he offers.

"Are you suggesting something?" I ask him.

"Yes," he says bluntly. "I am courting you, I only hope that this will be a match talked about for the ages, just as your sister and the duke."

It starts to pour more as we continue down the path and Alex comes up to me, holding his jacket over my head. "Isn't it the gentleman thing to do to offer a lady his jacket in the rain?" He asks over the sound. We hurry towards the house where we run inside to get dry.

"Get warm, I don't want either of us getting a cold," I say, handing him a blanket.

~

It was storming terribly outside and I couldn't sleep so I decided to go to Eloise's room. "Good Evening," I smiled at her, she was still awake, reading on her bed with a candle.

"Ah! Oh, I thought you might've been Mama. Oh, yes tell me how the hunt was," she grinned, setting down her book.

"Well, of course the guides were idiotic and lead us no where so Alex and I left on our own–"

"Your own?" El asked. "Couldn't that have caused a scandal?"

"It would've if we had not taken down three bucks," I say proudly and she claps.

"Astounding! You see this is why women are much better than men," she laughs.

I listen as the storm crackles again. "Should we check on Gregory and Hyacinth?" I ask her.

"They always were the worst with storms," she mentions with a nod. She wraps a shawl around her as she makes her way out of bed.

"Which do you want?" I ask her.

"Daphne will most likely be with Auggie and Simon so I'll take Hyacinth. Mama will probably join me later," she said. I gave her a hug. "I think storms are rather nice, the best time to read."

"I know," I laughed. "But they're really loud."

I take her hand and a candle. We walked down the hall to Gregory and Hyacinth's rooms that were right next to each other. I nod to her before entering Gregory's room. "Are you alright?" I ask him.

He nods, "I'm not a baby anymore. I don't get scared."

"It's alright to be scared. Sometimes the loud noises startle me too, and Anthony," I whispered. "But don't tell him I told you, he likes to keep that to himself."

Gregory giggles, sitting up in his bed. "Why does it feel like all of you are leaving?"

"What do you mean?" I asked him.

"Well, Daphne got married so we don't see her, Ally and mara the same, Anthony's getting married meaning we won't see him, Benedict is going to art school, Colin left for Rome and we didn't see him for a year, Eloise is always busy with Pen or with Lady Whistledown, and you're busy with music," he explains. "Even Alonzo and Alex are leaving!"

"Hey, we'll always be here, this time of year is just busy. We see Daph all the time, Anthony isn't going anywhere, Colin already came back and I think he's staying for a while. While Benedict is going to school he'll be here everyday, Eloise and I aren't going anywhere. Pen is also always here and you love her. Alonoz and Alex, they're just stressed with what is going on with their uncle and Alara and Mara have responsibilities. They're still here though," I told him. "We will never leave you, we will always be here when you need us most."

He gives me a hug as I lay down with him. He cuddles into me more as we hear another crack of thunder. "What about Fran?"

"Oh, Franny will always be here when it counts," I laughed.

"She missed Daph's wedding," he countered.

"I almost missed it," I laughed and the door opened. I looked and saw Francesca who looked to have been listening.

"That was not my fault, Daphne got married faster than anyone expected," Fran laughed and so did we. I moved over and she laid down with us. "And no, I'll never leave for good."

"I wish father was still here, I don't even remember him," Gregory sighed.

"We all wish we had more time with him, I don't remember much other than a few memories with him, El, and I in the library or his office, or the time he took us all on a picnic," I reminisce. I really did miss him. It's just hard to miss him when I barely know what he looks like. I don't even remember the day he died.

"Please don't be mad at me Lenny," Fran begged.

"Why?" I ask her.

"Next season I'm going to get married and we always thought it would be Daph, then you, then me and I really want to find a match," she apologized.

"There's nothing to be sorry for. I love you and it'll be okay. I'll get married after you. This year was for Anthony," I smiled at her.

"Really? Because I did see you with that handsome gentleman earlier, Lord Hartely?" She asked, giggling.

"Are you going to be married?" Gregory asked.

"I think she is," Fran nodded.

"I'm not!" I countered.

"She is."

"She definitely is."

"I am not," I tell the two. "We have barely spoken since the races and he hasn't said one word to Anthony or Mama."

"I wish Alex could become our brother, then we really would be one big family," Gregory grinned.

"Well, for that he would have to marry in, meaning he would either marry me, Len, or El. Or Alonzo could marry one of us three, but I think he has a thing for Miss Edwina, but if she gets married to Anthony, which I doubt she will, then he can't marry her. It's all a bit confusing, but I think Anthony has a thing for Miss Kate."

"I was thinking the same thing," I agreed with Fran. "But, I do believe we should sleep now. We have stuff to attend to in the morning."

"Oh, alright," the two of them complained. I fell asleep that night with two of my younger siblings wrapped around each arm.

~

The next morning I was setting up the band's stands and their chairs for the ball when Anthony came into the room after speaking with Daphne in his office. "Eleanor, I wish to speak with you," Anthony told me.

I passed by Daphne who gave me a weird hug, "I'm so sorry. I tried to make him reconsider. We will figure this out."

I walked with Anthony all the way to his office and sat down in the chair behind the desk. "That is my chair," he told me.

I shrugged and he sat down across from me, "What is it we need to talk about? Are you still cross with me?"

"No, you are entitled to your own opinion just as Mother and Daphne. I should not punish you for that."

"Okay, then what is this?" I asked once again.

"You were given a marriage proposal," he told me and I sat straight in my chair and heard someone fall down outside. "I will tell them to leave," he says, getting up.

"No use, it's Elosie, just continue," I begged him. "Who was it from?" I asked.

"It was from Lord Hartley," he said and the air left my lungs. "We haven't drawn up the contract yet or signed anything, but he has my verbal agreement. I was waiting to talk to you about what you wanted in the contract before signing."

"What I want?" I ask, outraged.

"Yes, well you're opinionated and I know you will come up with good reasoning–"

"Do you know what I want?" I cut him off.

"No–"

"Well then why did you agree to a marriage proposal without my consent? Did you not learn from Daphne?" I asked. I got up out of the chair and stormed to the door.

"Eleanor, Len– wait!" He called after. I yanked the door open and marched right past my 3 eldest sisters and mother. I quickly rushed to my room, sprinting past Alex and Alonzo who both called after me. I shut the door to my room, placing a chair under the handle.

I sat down on my bed defeated. I curled up into a ball and cried. There was nothing I could do at the moment other than that. No quick witted responses, no glares, no logical reasoning. This was it...

~

I spent most of the day in my room instead of rehearsing or helping set up. I didn't even help bake today. I finally was forced out of my room by Mama and Daphne. They got my maid to get me bathed and dressed, but I hadn't changed my expression since Anthony told me. I assumed Alex already knew.

I headed down to the ball and didn't do anything. I didn't say hello when people greeted me. I didn't make idle conversation, I stood and waited until it was my turn to perform. Finally, I traded places with another violinist so they could go on a break. I wasn't playing many songs. I was just here as an alternate. I looked across from me and saw my usual partner.

"I'm so sorry," Alex apologized as we started the song.

"It's not your fault," I told him, not changing my face.

"Tonight after the ball I'm going to go to the viscount's office and make a proposal," he said, determined.

"What proposal?" I asked, curious.

He whispered something in my ear, making me grin. I finally looked at him in the eyes and it felt as if my whole world brightened. We finished our two songs and the violinists took our places. I was just about to go talk with him when someone came up to me.

"Miss Bridgerton, I believe you owe me a dance," Lord Hartely smiled at me.

"Do I?" I asked him. "I don't remember." I do, but I won't tell him that.

"Well, then I can remind you, but you did promise one," he laughed. He grabbed my hand and led me to the dance floor at the same time as I saw a random man do the same to my sister. "As well, you are my betrothed now."

"No," I told him as we gracefully danced across the floor.

"No?"

"No," I nodded and continued our dance.

"I believe we are having a misunderstanding," he smiled painfully.

"I believe we are. I'm not going to marry you," I explained, simply as he spun me.

"Your brother and I had a deal!" He said and I stopped dancing.

"Neither of you signed a contract, that much I do know and I don't care what I have to do. One will never be made," I smiled at him before turning and walking towards the stairs. He tried to stop me.

"You're making a scene," he snapped.

"I wouldn't if you would leave me alone," I told him. "You should've taken the hint at the race, I will not be with someone who undermines me." I walked off, linking hands with Eloise who was walking away from her dance partner mid dance.

"Eloise, Eleanor," Mama calls after us.

"What?" Eloise snaps as we head up the stairs.

I stopped listening as I saw Alex heading up to the man Elosie was dancing with.

~

"Of course, Miss Eloise Bridgerton is insane, no wonder she has got no suitors, no one wants her. I couldn't even imagine what her sister's like," Lord Morrison complains to Lord Hartely.

"Horrible, she has a short temper, I proposed and she says no like she really has any other choice. At least they're not Miss Featherington," they both laughed.

"Gentlemen," Alex greets, hearing the two's conversation. "I want to have a word." He pulls them closer. "Those three girls are my friends, they have been since we were little, I hear one more word against any of them and I'll make sure you never speak again."

Both Lord Hartley and Lord Morrison laughed at him, making him even angier Lord Hartley scoffed, "You have no power, you are but a boy."

"Try me," he threatens. "I am of Italian royal descent, my father is over in the corner who sees the three of them as daughters, my sister, one a princess of Prussia, both see them as sisters, and the entire Bridgerton family who would be glad to help me in my endeavors." He turns away from them without another word and stalks off elsewhere.

~

I looked back to mother and Eloise as El snapped at her. "My rebellion is not some party dress I put on to play a part, Mama, and it's certainly not some accomplishment I've developed, like singing or painting to help me attract a suitor. I know I am a disappointment to you. So just allow me to take my leave and go to bed," she says, crying.

"Eloise," I followed her.

"El!" Pen called out to her. We both try to run up to her but she yells back to us that she wants to be alone.

I turn to Penelope with sad eyes. "I can't do this," I shake my head, run down the stairs and into the garden.

I stand out there and wrap my arms around me as I take a breath of air. "Len? Are you alright?"

"No," I admit to Alonzo. I turned around to look at him. "I love someone, but I can't even begin to think about marriage right now, yet I am already betrothed to a man I can not stand!"

"And we shall fix that, it will all be gone in the morning. I know you love my brother and in a few seasons maybe next you both shall be married and living happy lives," he smiles at me.

"How did you know I was speaking of your brother?" I asked him.

He laughed, "I watched the two of you fall in love, other than El I'm the only one who saw your rehearsals. It was there all along."

I laughed too, "I guess you were."

He held out his hand, "May I have this dance?"

I took it, "You may." He led me inside and we stood next to Kate and Anthony. The dance started and I was laughing and having a great time with Alonzo, but midway through the dance– Alonzo switched out for Alex.

He spun me around and I smiled at him. He gently smiled at me and I swear I could've looked in his eyes forever.

The dance ended and I bowed to him. "It's getting late," I tell him.

"It is, we should grab Alonzo," he tells me. We look to find him, but he's talking with Miss Edwina.

"Is everything alright?" I ask the two of them.

"I fear my sister has upset the Viscount," Edwina cries.

I sigh, "The Viscount is very hard headed he will come around shortly, but Miss Edwina I think we should speak in private," I tell her before turning to Alex. "Take Alonzo to find Pen and we can meet in my room."

I take Edwina's hand and lead her to the music room. "What is the matter?" Edwina asks.

"Do you love him?" I ask her.

"I believe I can be happy with the Viscount," she tells me. "He is lovely and he cares about my family."

"But do you love him?" I ask again. "Does he make you feel like you can't live without him? Does he make you happy just by coming into the room?"

"I want to be with the Viscount," she urges. "But I also want to be with another, I cannot decide."

"I suggest you decide before you leave here," I hint. "Because by then it might be too late."

"I don't want to let him down," she counters, walking around the room, looking at Alex's violin.

"You won't!" I insist. "He can learn to love another!"

She doesn't take her eyes away from the violin, "I was thinking of him."

"Whatever do you mean?" I asked her, fearing something. I couldn't help but notice the way she was looking at the violin. I didn't like it. 

"Alexzander Bonaparte, that song he played for me was so lovely. I thought he truly meant it. That he would come to me after and send me flowers, we would have the most amazing conversations and long talks, but he didn't. Then I realized that he was never singing to me, he was singing to a person behind me. I thought, maybe to my sister, but... then I saw you." She turns around to look at me with a smile. "You looked so in love with him. He looked so happy singing that to you. Every time that you two performed I could see you two love each other."

"Wait? You did?" I asked, panicked.

"I was the only one, I believe. I wanted to see it, but I wanted to see it in me. I wanted what the two of you had. I wanted someone to look at me like that. I was jealous, that's why I didn't speak to you," she explains.

"I was jealous of you too," I admit. She looked confused. "I wanted to be the diamond– I was supposed to be. Now, I am a disappointment."

"I couldn't imagine that you are!" She countered. "You are so accomplished. Your violin, your baking, your dancing is much too graceful."

"But I don't want a husband, the only one I could even think of marrying is Alexzander. As I think you are also in love with his brother," I told her and she looked shocked. "It's either Anthony or Alonzo, but I know things will work out. I just hope that no one gets hurt."

"I do as well," she nods. "I think I should be getting back, my sister should be looking for me."

"And I must meet my friends, goodnight, Miss Edwina."

~

"Well? What happened?" Alonzo asked, rushing towards me. It looks like they cheered up Eloise.

"I only talked to her about what she wanted. She's unsure about marrying Anthony and Anthony has taken a peculiar liking to Miss Kate Sharama," I explained to him and he sighed. "Al, if you really like her, you must tell her."

"Except she wants to marry the Viscount because he's the supposed better option!" He counters.

"She doesn't!"

"What?" he asked, shocked.

"Did you not hear a word I just said? She is unsure, she has doubts because she's falling for another," I told him. He grinned.

"Maybe I do have a chance," he laughed.

"I told you," Alex laughed with him.

"El, are you alright?" I asked her, sitting down across from her.

"I'm alright, just upset with mama, as I'm sure you are with Anthony as well," she sighed. "I guess you're getting married."

"Actually..." Alex trailed off.

"What did you do?" Penelope asked him, crossing her arms, waiting for him to tell us.

Dearest gentle reader, while much occurred at the Bridgerton country visit, this author feels not all is fit to print.

Especially when so much is already known by far too many members of the ton.

But if you thought we would reach the end of this journey without this trusted author finding a truly delectable morsel of gossip, then you are sorely mistaken.

We all waited outside as one by one families left. The only people who hadn't left yet were the Featheringtons, the sharmas, the Bonapartes (all members), and unfortunately Lord Hartely. Only we were missing Anthony, wonder where he's gone off to.

While Prudence Featherington seems to have secured her match, it was not the only occurrence of note.

"I must ask Lord Hartley why are you still here?" Hyacinth asked, staring at him as he waited with our family.

"Yes, do tell us, my lord," Fran grinned.

"Well, I am to be married to you sister, Miss Eleanor," he said, looking over at me, making some of my siblings gasp and the rest look tremendously upset. 

"Like I said, never," I smiled back.

"It has already been arranged," he countered, looking upset and angry.

"Actually, I gave Lord Bridgerton an offer he couldn't refuse," Alex told him, walking next to me.

"And what would that be?" Lord Hartley asked with a smirk.

~

"Tonight after the ball I'm going to go to the viscount's office and make a proposal," he said, determined.

"What proposal?" I asked, curious.

"For your hand, I do not care if I have to buy out Lord Hartley, the two of you will not be married so long as I am alive," he said, staring at me in the eyes.

~

"Actually..." Alex trailed off.

"What did you do?" Penelope asked him, crossing her arms, waiting for him to tell us.

"I made good on my promise and I gave Anthony what he wanted. We are currently 'engaged'," he says. "That will end whenever you wish it to."

I laughed with Elosie and Pen while grinning, "Thank you Alex," I went up and I hugged him. "And perhaps I don't want it to end."

~

"Why an offer from a prince of course," Alonzo smirked, walking next to me as well.

Lord Hartley lost his smirk and looked at Alonzo and Alex, then to Alara and Amara, then to our parents. "I beg your pardon?"

"Ah yes, you might not have heard," King Bonaparte laughed. "I'm the newly appointed King of Italy by my brother's passing."

"Your Majesty," Lord Hartley bowed.

"Go home," Kind Bonaparte ordered. The Lord hurried off towards his carriage and set off back to London. The rest of us turned and bowed to him. "Oh, none of that here. I am at your home and you all are family to us, especially now."

"Yes, it seems our children are getting married," mama laughed happily looking at the pair of us. "That's at least one wedding this year."

"Actually–" I cut her off. "We were hoping to wait a while."

"Whatever do you mean dearest?" Mama asked.

"I– we just want to wait for Eloise and Pen," I told her with a slight hesitation. It was the truth but I still was a little nervous to tell her. I knew she would be at least a little disappointed. "Is that alright?"

"I-I," she sighed, looking at Alex's parents. "It is up to the two of you," she said looking back at Alex and I.

Alex turned to smile at me, "Well then we shall wait for a few more seasons. Although, neither of us will be taking any suitors."

It seems there is another prince in the ton, not one, but two. Two who have been here for a very long time. As well as a few princesses.

The Bonapartes– a secluded family, for reasons that are now known, are the royal family of Italy.

King Leopold Bonaparte and Queen Lilbeth Bonaprte of Italy with their children Princess Amara Bonapart of Prussia and her husband Prince Fredirch of Prussia with their unborn child. Countess Alara Pevensie and her husband Calum Pevensie and their son Viscount Alessandro Pevensie. Prince Alonzo Bonaparte, Princess Adeline Bonaparte, and with a surprising turn of events being their eldest son, Prince Alexzander Bonaparte with his newly betrothed Miss Eleanor Bridgerton.

It seems as though their music performances gave them the time they needed to get acquainted. They have decided to aim for a rather long engagement. However, I wish them all the best with their new lives together.

But... In another turn of events there was one more proposal this week.

Just as the Sharmas were about to leave, Anthony came out, "Wait!"

"Lord Bridgerton–"

"Might I speak with you?" He asked one of the girls. I thought it was Kate with how he was looking at her.

"Of course," Kate nodded. I smiled happily, maybe everyone could get a happy ending out of this. Kate with Anthony and Edwina with Alonzo.

"That was meant for Miss Edwina," Anthony counters.

"My lord?" Edwina asks as he gets down on one knee.

"Miss Edwina Sharma. Will you marry me?" He asked.

"No," I whispered.

"Yes," Edwina laughed. "Yes! Yes! I shall be your viscountess. I shall marry you." Alonzo ran off back inside as Eloise, Alex, and I chased after him and Pen sadly left in her carriage.

Anthony Bridgerton is now betrothed to Miss Edwina Sharma.

Victory, indeed.

—Yours Truly, 

Lady Whistledown

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

3.3K 62 9
Florence's family is looking for peace. Do they finally discover that in Mayfair? Another season is taking place and love is in the air along with th...
4.3K 241 6
All Is Fair In Love And War. Lord Anthony Bridgerton, the formidable head of the Bridgerton family, sets forth on a quest to secure a worthy spouse...
186K 4.6K 23
Kathryn Bishop had a great life. She grew up with loving and supportive parents and a younger sister who she got along with. Mr and Mrs. Bishop were...
805K 18.2K 35
Her Royal Highness The Princess Royal, is a beacon of regality, yet beneath her crown lies a woman determined to defy the conventional expectations o...