Five Foes, A Murder & Lies

By etherealfolklore

Margo Watson was found murdered in her own home on October 13th. Leaving the town of Scattervale, with the so... More

Unfinished Business
Ditching Classes, Drugs & Detention
Hearts Don't Lie
Good Luck Charm
The Opening Night
Heart</3reaker
Apple Tree
Anniversary Effect
Autopsy - Suicide = Homicide
The Last Man Standing
Capability Of Murder
Happy Death Day
The Truth Sentence
This Is Farewell

Re-Imagine & Resurface

8 0 0
By etherealfolklore

Toby's POV:

"Objection, your honor this is just cause for speculation. Cannot be considered a fact." my lawyer said, as Griffin's attorney stood. "Actually your honor it can be used as a fact, the fingerprints on the murder weapon was a pocket knife. The same prints that are from Toby himself" she said, as my hands were shaking. I looked over at Griffin who was sitting at the table next to her. My eyes then found Cleo and i was appalled, i was freaking stunned. 

Police then came up from behind me, and started to place hand cuffs on my wrists. The case was closed for today, as everyone else was staring at me. Cleo walked down from the stand, as the police officers contained me, gripping my hands in there grasps behind my back. I faced her, "how could you say that Cleo? you know i didn't hurt Margo! how could you betray her like that again?" i asked, as she just looked at me disappointingly, but she didn't say a word. I was confused, why was she doing everything she could to paint me out to be the bad guy? 

I'm not, anyone who knows me knows that. All i've ever wanted was for the truth about what really happened to Margo that night, to be exposed. For everyone to know, especially the court. But i looked down at Cleo's hand where her gaze fell, as Griffin entwined his fingers with hers. That was when it hit me. She was protecting Griffin because they were dating. But how? 

"Cleo.." i whispered, as i looked at her in shock, in disappointment. The police officers then forced me down the court and out of the room. 

Cleo's POV:

I couldn't watch as they took him away, Griffin was caressing my hand and my heart was too busy pounding. As the same question i keep asking myself kept circling my mind, was i doing the right thing? And if i was.. why did i feel so ashamed? I looked over at Emelie and Blair, who scowled at me, before leaving the court room. I followed after them, "Guys wait-" i started as i found them in the entrance way. "How could you say Toby did this after Blair saw him that night?" Emelie asked, as i frowned. 

"Who Blair said she saw was Toby that night" i said, as Emelie folded her arms. "That obviously wasn't true, she just said that to protect all of our asses from your new boyfriend, who's my ex by the way. Whatever happened to girl code?" Emelie asked. 

"Or standards.." Blair mumbled, "Cleo, how could you? i mean seriously, Griffin of all people? don't you remember what he did to me? I can already tell right now he doesn't care about you, he's just using you so he can stay out of jail. He knows Toby is on to him and the only way to get rid of him was to have you on his side. So you could testify against him. Which you did, he's not the victim here." Emelie said, as i was quiet. I didn't wanna believe anything she was telling me. 

Somewhere along the way i had started to fall for Griffin, and i didn't wanna tell Emelie or Blair because i knew this was how they were going to react. Margo had completely destroyed girl code for me. And i never felt the need to rebuild it, when the connection Griffin and i were building just made so much sense to me. Now thinking about it more, it does seem convenient that Griffin is making things official with me now, given everything that's going on. 

"Cleo, we literally drove a girl to kill herself!" Emelie said, as i shook my head. "No! we didn't because all the evidence points to Toby. I'm not just protecting Griffin, i'm protecting all of us from a murderer." i said. "Cleo, Toby loved Margo he would never hurt her, let alone kill her, you know that because you know him." Blair said, as i folded my arms. "I don't believe that anymore, he's out of control now. I don't even recognize him anymore." i said, as Emelie glared at me. 

"And all of a sudden that gives you the right to throw him under the bus? All of the evidence doesn't just point to Toby. The semen found inside Margo was obviously from Griffin. He literally admitted that on the stand, that Margo and him never even had consensual sex." Emelie said, as i rolled my eyes. "Just because that happened doesn't mean it was rape" i said, as Blair stepped towards me. "Cleo, do you even hear yourself?" she asked, as Emelie took her hand and pulled her back. "Cleo, you and me? we're done. we're no longer friends. You're just hiding behind these lies because you're afraid of facing the truth. The shame, the guilt, all because you are the cause of someone's death. You just hate to admit it." Emelie said, as she stepped back. 

"Yeah.. we're no longer friends with a coward" Blair said, "Griffin has you so blind, it's pathetic" Emelie said, as they exited the hall together. My eyes filled with tears until Griffin came to my side, snaking his arm around my waist. "Don't listen to them, you did the right thing. Don't feel ashamed of it." he said, as he turned me to him and hugged me. "It's gonna be okay, all of this will be over soon. Come on, let's go" he said softly, as i looked over at the doors Blair and Emelie left out of. I sighed, wiping a tear away, and nodding, before leaving with Griffin. 

That same day, i went to visit Toby in prison. While i waited behind the glass for him, the minute he saw me he stopped walking. But then found his seat, and took the phone off the wall. He just stared at me, like he was trying to understand. 

"What are you doing here Cleo..." he said, as i sighed. 

"I'm sorry Toby, i didn't mean for- i just- i don't know what to believe anymore. I feel like i don't even know anything anymore" i said, rubbing my forehead.

 "All the evidence doesn't add up and your behavior lately, it's freaking me out. You're just making things so much harder, it's making it nearly impossible to figure out the truth. But of course, despite everything, i still love you. I just can't lose you Toby, not after Blair and Emelie turned there backs on me." i said, as he clenched his jaw. 

"You wanna know what the worst past of all of this is? trusting someone with everything you have in yourself, despite them treating you like shit. Only to have them throw you under the bus and hold hands with the problem while doing so. I still love you too Cleo, but it's never been so hard until now. " Toby said, and with that he left me alone with nothing but a phone and missing dial tone. 

Toby's POV:

"Toby Sullivan, you have been convicted of first degree murder of Margo Watson, how do you plead?" the judge asked, as i cleared my throat. "Innocent" i said, as the crowd whispers in front of me. "Toby, tell the court what you were doing the night Margo Watson was killed" my lawyer asked, "i was walking home that night, from my study group. I was falling behind in my classes so in order to keep me on the football team, Griffin and i attended a study group after school on some days. Him and i were walking home, and that was when i overheard Cleo having a conflict with someone. And i heard Margo scream" i said, as the memories were flashing in my mind. 

Margo's POV:

I can't remember how long i have been standing here, in this court room, hearing about the stories my friends are stating on the stand about me. My heart feels like it's over racing, even though it's not even attached to my soul. But every time each of them speak, especially of that specific night. Blurry or foggy memories of which resurface within my mind. But the more detail i hear about, the more clearer the memory becomes. It feels excruciating, like i'm reliving it. And i can't understand what's reality and what's just deja vu. My feet start to trip over themselves as i stumble across the aisle of the court room. 

"I recall Griffin saying he was gonna speak to Margo after him and i break up the fight. He was gonna go after Margo, just to make sure she was okay. He said he was gonna apologize for spreading that false rumor about her and i hooking up at Cleo's birthday party." Toby said, as he took a pause, sighing and running his hands through his hair. This memory seemed like it had been eating at him for weeks. "I trusted him, so i agreed that he should check on her and then i just went home." he said, as the lawyer cocked her head. "That's all that happened? " she asked, as Toby shook his head. "No.." he said, almost hesitantly. 

"What do you mean by that Toby?" she asked, as she steps forward. "It shouldn't have ended like that.. i should of checked to see if Margo was okay that night. Not Griffin. Cause if i had insisted on checking on her myself, she might still be.. she might still be alive." Toby said, as my heart aches seeing the look on his face. And in that moment, i wonder how long it's been since he's cried over my death. As i could see tears pulling free at his eyes, when he lost his self in thought. 

Toby's POV:

What should of happened:

"Margo wait!" i yelled, as she ignored me, heading off down the street to her house at the end of the block. 

"Sully, it's fine.. i'll check on her" Griffin says, as he pushes me back and walks in front of me. 

"No, i think i should say something to her, clearly she thinks-" i start, "clearly she's upset with you, just give me a chance to apologize to her first about everything. Besides, that's why you all are fighting anyway. I got this" he said, as i shook my head. 

As it starts to rain even harder instead of drizzle.

 "Griffin, you're exactly right, you put us in this mess, and that's why Cleo flipped out and that's what Margo hates not just me but all of us. But after everything, i don't trust you." i said, as he stepped back. 

"Fine man, whatever.." he says, and takes one last look at Margo before leaving down the sidewalk. "Margo! wait!" i yelled, as she walked faster, heading up to her house, and making it to her garage which was open. "Margo, just let me explain.." i said, as i knew she didn't want to hear but she needed too. "Toby, i just want to be alone.. just go home" she said, as she allowed me to follow her into her garage as she closed it behind us, as we walked inside her house. The place was dark which was concerning. "Your parents home?" i asked, as we headed up the stairs. 

"They're on a trip, they'll be back in the morning" she said, as we made it to her room. "Toby, i'm fine, honestly you can just go" Margo said, as she attended to her injuries which made me worried. "Maybe you should see a doctor.." i said, as she glared at me. "What are you still doing here?" she asked, as i was taken aback by how cold she was being, something i had never seen before but even then i still thought she was beautiful. "Margo, i'm not leaving you because i'm in love with you. And i've been in love with you since you told me you've never seen a locker before, when you told me you wanted to own your own bookstore, that you loved the planet Mars, and despite every job in the world, you would rather be a librarian. 

Margo, i've been in love with you since i first laid eyes on you. And no matter what happens, that's never gonna change." i said, as she looks at me stunned. I don't even want her to say anything, i don't even need her to say anything. I just need to touch her, to kiss her, to hold her, i needed to be one who took her virginity that night. Not Griffin. I stepped closer to her, and i reach out my hand. But she pulls away, "but you can't.. cause this never happened, and now i'm dead" she whispers, as the imagination of a memory never existent fades, and i find myself bawling in front of a court. 

Margo's POV:

Hearing his cry for me ripples through me like an earthquake, breaking every bone in my body, and swallowing the only source of curiosity i have left. Pain was the only thing i knew in this moment, and it was a sort of pain i never ever wanted to experience. Regret and Heart break. I started screaming, and bawling, falling to my knees, pounding my fists into the floor, as my hands went right through. "Make it stop.. please.. i'm done!" i screamed, to whatever entity was keeping here. Was it God? was it the universe? was it me? i didn't know who was punishing me. 

I couldn't bare to see anyone, let anyone Toby, breaking because of me. Did i do this? was i murdered? did i commit suicide? who would do this? and if i did why would i? all i've heard these few days was stories and answers, but not a single question in my head right now is answered and it's driving me insane. I cried harder, grateful no one could see or hear me. "Please, i just need it to be over!!" i hollered, as i craddled my head in between my knees, and bawled. 

Before every single memory my mind somehow suppressed comes rushing back at full blast, and i jolt back with a gasp. As i can see myself clearly, walking home that night after school. 

"MARGO!" Cleo screams, in the nastiest manner i've ever heard. 

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

One by one By Hello

Mystery / Thriller

223 6 22
It wasn't very difficult to plan out my first victim. I watched them all day, studied their movements, listened to their conversations, and watched t...
899 169 32
It's been a week since Dad died. People won't stop reminding us about it. Every day someone new stops by with home cooked meals and empty handed con...
42.4K 7K 44
[Featured on @Mystery's Bright Young Minds Reading List] [Bootcamp Mentorship Winner '22] This Valentine's Day, Cupid gets a little deadly. *** When...