Lost Wanderers (Halbrand / Ri...

By lostgirlriddle1926

If he knew what awaited for him in the Middle Earth, he would have returned sooner. Halbrand is a man with a... More

《 There and Back Again 》
1 - The Language of Swords
2 - Wandering Souls
4 - By the River Anduin
Note after episode 6
5 - The Power of a Promise
6 - World on Fire
Note after episode 7
7 - Even Morgoth Desired Her
8 - King of Ashes
Note after the season finale💥
《 Part Two 》
9 - Shadows in the Moonlight
10 - The Dying Lands
11 - Only Fire Can Bind
12 - Walking a Tightrope
13 - The Realms Under the Mountains
14 - The Gathering Dark
15 - What Lies in the Shadows
16 - Still Something to Learn
17 - The One Ring, The One Promise
A/N - End of Part 2

3 - The Legacy of a Name

1.4K 39 2
By lostgirlriddle1926

"Where have you been? You are requested in the main hall" Griff snorted at her miserable look, then escorted her to the palace.
"Did something go wrong? The guests didn't appreciate the supper?" she asked nervously.
"No. Father called a new little audience with our guests' leaders to announce his decision. Get changed and go talk to him".
Lou reached her room without complaining and Livi helped her to wear a different costume.
Then she moved to the main hall, finding her father sitting alone by the large table that was already cleaned and no trace of the banquet was left.
"Luthien!" he welcomed her, waving at her to approach him "Where have you been all day?".
"Studying?" she suggested "Watching our people welcoming our guests? What's going on? Why another audience at this late hour?".
"Darkness is at our doors again" he said gloomily "I decided to send a little army to enforce theirs. No, you can't go" he added noticing the expected light in her eyes.
"Let me guess: but my brothers can" she snorted and picked an empty seat.
"They will represent me in battle" he said dismissively "Is it too much to ask you to assist me at this late hour?".
She tilted her head and glanced at her clothes "I didn't dress as your servant for nothing. But be quick. I'm so drowsy that I could unintentionally cause a diplomatic accident".
He smiled at her "Thank you, Luthien".

She took position and stood in a corner until the guards announced the guests and guided them into the hall.
Luthien watched the Queen Regent march in, but another woman soon caught her attention.
Not mortal, an elf.
And her beauty was so striking that killed Luthiens's self esteem.
And then she noticed the group of men. Her eyes were caught by the view of Halbrand.
Confusion made her feel dizzy.
Was he a leader? She didn't think he was a nobleman. His fighting skill could have earned him a good rank in the army.
She watched as the Stewart of Pelargir showed his guests their seats around him. Then the guards closed the doors and she was trapped in the hall with them.
Luthien waited for her father to shot her the glance, the signal that it was time to fill the guests' glasses.
She grabbed the carafe with the finest wine and started to serve the Queen Regent, keeping her head and her eyes low as she felt her intimidating gaze scanning her, almost like skinning her alive.
Then she moved to the elf, who was more empathetic and even thanked her softly.
Luthien allowed a little smile to show her gratitude, then poured the wine for the men.
She stiffened when she served the last one, Halbrand.

He was also staring at her as she filled carefully his glass.
Was he expecting her to make a mess with such a delicate task, after she showed him her skills with the sword?
"Thank you" he said softly and in his tone there was no amusement or mocking, just a sweetness that left her speechless.
She had to be silent anyway.
She just slightly bowed her head and stepped back to reach the corner.
She felt the Queen's unforgiving look.
"Well? Is she allowed to be part of the audience?".
Luthien held her breath like she was just hit with an arrow.
"I trust my servants" the Stewart said with some irritation.
Luthien looked at him and he shook his head weakly, signaling her not to react to the provocation.
"And we're here to discuss of more urgent stuff" the elf intervened "Or are you afraid that a servant will run in the night to warn our enemies?".
The Queen checked her glass.
"Would you like for my servant to taste your wine first?" the Stewart teased and waved at Luthien.
She stifled a chuckled as she approached the Queen again. She picked the glass and took a little sip with an easiness that irritated the royal woman even more.
"I'm sorry to hear of your wife's passing" the elf said to the Stewart, moving the attention on other topics, that weren't easy for Luthien to digest.
She retired quickly to her dark corner.
"Yes, but I don't regret any moment I've spent with her. Nor any sacrifice I took for her" he said sternly, then he took back the control of the situation and briefly explained his decision and how his sons would lead the expedition to the west.
The elf spoke more than the Queen and in the end everything was settled.
The Stewart thanked his guests and dismissed them.

"The Queen sensed you as a menace" her father commented after breaking his formal pose and slipping on his chair to rest his feet on the cleared table.
"Me? A menace? She should meet me with a sword" she walked to him and kissed him goodnight.
"Everyone would fear you" he brushed a hand on her hair, loosing the knot that had kept them tied "Forget her. She and her men are gone by tomorrow".

But Luthien didn't want to forget all of them.
She left the hall to reach her room, when in the corridors she sensed a shadow and a soft voice spoke to her.
"I'm sorry for how the Queen has been rude to you".
Luthien froze and turned, watching the elf stepping out of a dark corner.
"Don't be afraid, Luthien. I'm Galadriel" the elf said placing a hand on her own chest "You bear a beautiful name. I remember how your mother loved that legend".
Luthien was surprised to hear that. But of course elves have a long time and although Galadriel looked young that they could be the same age, in fact she had to be centuries old.
"You knew my mother, Lady Galadriel?".
"You look like her. That's how I recognized you" she said sweetly "I've been hosted here decades ago when I returned from one mission. Your father was a generous commander but he went against everyone, specially his superiors and his family, just to marry her, a simple daughter of merchants. She was a sensible dreamer. The story of Beren and Luthien was her favourite and the first thing she asked me when she saw me was if I knew them".
"And did you?" Luthien asked carefully.
"Yes" Galadriel whispered with some nostalgia.
Damn, she was even older than she imagined.
"You're a blessing for your father. I see how much he cares of you, even if he makes you play other roles" Galadriel touched her shoulder.
"I chose to play his role" Luthien confessed "So I can join the audiences without attracting too much attention. I wish you an easy victory, against the orcs".
The elf's lips thinned "I hope that, but I'm afraid there are greater forces in the darkness that are pushing the orcs on our path. Stay safe, Luthien. Keep being the light for your family and your people".
Luthien bid goodnight and repeated to herself those words until she fell asleep.

She didn't have much time to rest because early in the morning she was already up and watching as the soldiers got ready to march to battle.
"Don't look so depressed, little sister" her brother Rhys teased her, polishing his armor "We can bring you some piece of orc if that can make you happy".
"What piece would you prefer?" Griff mocked, elbowing her until she shoved him away.
"I hate orcs. I only want you two to come back in one piece. You'll already bring stench of orcs with you anyway".
They kept joking but her heart ached at the fear that it could be the last time she see them alive. Every battle could be the last time.
And she hated to wait for them to come back.
She visited the other soldiers, until she found the one she was hoping to meet.
"So, it's Luthien" Halbrand welcomed her as he tested some weapons in the armory "Why hiding such a beautiful name?".
"Because everyone comments about the Luthien of the legend, of how beautiful and brave she was" she complained "And forget about me. I'm only mortal and ordinary".
He chuckled "You're everything except ordinary".
She narrowed her eyes, immune to flattery "And what are you? You didn't tell me you're a Lord".
"Because I'm not. I have no title that I deserved. I'm a wanderer who can wield a sword. Don't see me as more than that".
There was some begging in his tone that made her agree. She felt a weight in her chest, not knowing how to properly say goodbye.
"You're welcome to come back here, after the battle. I'll owe you a song".
He smiled and she felt like being blinded by the sun.
"I have to come back then" he said as a promise "It's been an honor to meet you, Luthien. If I knew what I'd find in this land, I would have come back sooner".
She held her breath, not knowing how to interpret his words or if they meant he expected something from her.
The trumpets blew around them, signaling the start of the march.
Luthien looked back at Halbrand, almost panicking.
He watched her with sorrow, then he grabbed her hand and bowed to kiss the back of it.
Luthien only felt noises around her and in wild heart as she stood petrified and watched Halbrand joining the other soldiers to form the line that would cross the main road and leave the city.
When she recovered from her shock, she ran to pick a basket of flowers as the crowd saluted the army and threw petals and flowers around them with words of gratitude.
Luthien used a shortcut to reach a good place and watched the soldiers march in front of her, until she spotted Halbrand and handed him a handful of flowers.
He picked them with a bow to her, his fingers brushing hers one last time.
Then he was pulled away and disappeared from her view.

A/N

Wednesday 28th September 2022

Bloody orcs, and bloody wars 😫

Will Halbrand come back for her?

I think there's something of his past that will meet him in the watchtower of Ostirith 😬

Just two days to go and we might find out the truth in the new episode. And I'll see if this story can still make sense or not 😅🤞

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

17.9K 383 13
(Set during the Hobbit: an unexpected journey) A young elf maiden accompanies Gandalf on his quest to help the dwarves of Erebor. The dwarf king nat...
159 1 7
Luwén is one of the Dúnedain, a descendant of the once grand people of Númenor. All her life she has carried a dark relic of the past, its purpose un...
5K 171 27
Adar had been captured by Halbrand and Galadriel. Not knowing what to do with him, Galadriel asks Eilith, an outcast to watch over him. She knows tha...
8.7K 307 27
The last of the Teleri is back, and she is back to love and fight. Join the story with Gaeariel, as she finds love in Haldir, and an enemy in an old...