Pluto Projector.

By madd_libbs

In which (Y/n) (Y/l/n) begins to wonder if she really does want her memory back. Book Five of the Party Polic... More

Info.
Year Seven - Half-Blood Prince
Chapter One.
Chapter Two.
Chapter Four.
Chapter Five.
Chapter Six.
Chapter Seven.
Chapter Eight.
Chapter Nine.
Chapter Ten.
Chapter Eleven.
Chapter Twelve.
Chapter Thirteen.
Chapter Fourteen.
Chapter Fifteen.
Chapter Sixteen.
Chapter Seventeen.
Chapter Eighteen.
Chapter Nineteen.
Chapter Twenty.
Chapter Twenty-One.
Chapter Twenty-Two.
Chapter Twenty-Three.
Chapter Twenty-Four.
Chapter Twenty-Five.
Chapter Twenty-Six.

Chapter Three.

386 30 8
By madd_libbs

"Ready to go, Nev?" (Y/n) asked as she walked back into the Lovegood house, having finally taken Effie's carrier to the back seat of her car.

"Ready," Neville confirmed, coming out with the last of his small trunks. They both stopped in their tracks as four owls swept down onto the property, followed by a fifth with a rolled-up copy of the Daily Prophet. (Y/n) took her copy of the newspaper and tossed it into her car before the Lovegoods saw it. She and Neville took purple leaflets from the other four owls before walking two of them inside.

"What's that?" Luna asked, accepting the pamphlet Neville offered to her. "Oh, Ministry of Magic," she murmured, catching the cover. (Y/n) took her reading glasses from the case in her purse.

"'Protecting your home and family against Dark forces,'" (Y/n) mused. "'The Wizarding community is currently under threat from an organization calling itself the Death Eaters. Observing the following simple guidelines will help protect you, your family, and your home from attack.'" The three soon fell silent as they read the list of safety tips.

1. You are advised not to leave the house alone.
2. Particular care should be taken during the hours of darkness. Whenever possible, arrange to complete journeys before night has fallen.
3. Review the security arrangements around the house, making sure that all family members are aware of emergency measures such as Shield and Disillusionment Charms, and, in the case of underage family members, Side-Along-Apparation.
4. Agree on security questions with close friends and family so as to detect Death Eaters masquerading as others by use of the Polyjuice Potion (see page 2).
5. Should you feel that a family member, colleague, friend, or neighbour is acting in a strange manner, contact the Magical Law Enforcement Squad at once. They may have been put under the Imperius Curse (see page 4).
6. Should the Dark Mark appear over any dwelling place or other building, DO NOT ENTER, but contact the Auror office immediately.
7. Unconfirmed sightings suggest that the Death Eaters may now be using Inferi (see page 10). Any sighting of an Inferius, or encounter with same, should be reported to the Ministry IMMEDIATELY.

"Mr. Weasley's new department is with the Magical Law Enforcement Squad, right?" Neville asked.

"Yeah," (Y/n) confirmed. "I am going to call Remus and ask about what we should do about the security questions for now..." Neville nodded.

"Are you two off?" Xenophilius asked, coming downstairs.

"Yeah," Neville confirmed. "We don't want to risk arriving too late..." Xenophilius nodded.

"Well, stay safe," Xenophilius said.

"We will," (Y/n) said, hugging Luna a temporary goodbye. Luna and Xenophilius walked Neville and (Y/n) to the door to which they both got into the front seat and waved at the Lovegoods. (Y/n), who already had Remus as an emergency contact, called him and held her flip phone to her ear as she drove down the road.

"Hello?" a voice asked.

"Hey, it is (Y/n)," (Y/n) said.

"Figured... No one calls this number."

"Have you gotten the Ministry-distributed pamphlet?" (Y/n) asked.

"We have," Remus Lupin confirmed.

"So what should we do about security questions and knowing one another?"

"We've decided to make security questions when you two get here..." Remus said. "You're on your way, right?"

"We are," (Y/n) said.

"Great," Remus said. "Then we'll just use a one-time-use codeword... Keep it to yourself just in case you're being tagged."

"All right," (Y/n) said, glancing in her rearview mirror as though taking Remus's concern to heart. "What is the word?"

"Let's do..." Remus paused, thinking of a word. The entire English dictionary seemed to have left his mind at that moment. There was a murmur on the other side and Remus snickered. "Fox On The Run?"

"That is a phrase, but all right," (Y/n) said. "I did not know you were a Sweet fan."

"What?"

"No, never mind," (Y/n) dismissed. "See you in a bit... Oh, before I forget, I got the job! I'm starting tomorrow, actually..." There was silence on the other side.

"Are you sure you want to work?" Remus asked slowly. "I mean, you don't need to—"

"Remus!" (Y/n) exclaimed. "Of course, I need to! How else am I meant to settle back into the average life of a young witch? And have you seen the plants in there?" Neville made a sound.

"(Y/n)," Remus said sternly, "I hope you aren't taking a job that will put your life— or any of your limbs, at that— on the line!"

"Oh, don't have a cow—"

"What—?"

"I am a growing woman whose life has been on the line since she was eleven!" (Y/n) said. "Would you prefer me to be on the front lines as an Auror-in-training? They have a program for that. Mind you, I would be treated as an intern, but Tonks says—"

"The flower shop is just fine if you really can't stay still," Remus interrupted. (Y/n) smiled.

"Glad we have made an agreement," (Y/n) said. "We are about to leave Ottery St. Catchpole, so... see you later..."

"Right..."

"(Y/n), should you even be driving?" Neville asked.

"I have my license," (Y/n) said.

"Recently?"

"Yeah, over spring break apparently."

Neville stared at (Y/n).

"As in before your memory was erased?"

"Hang on," (Y/n) said, her eyes scanning the area. She muttered something under her breath and, for a very brief moment, the residences of the surrounding townhouses shone golden through the walls of their houses. "No one is by the windows. We are good." She cast a Disillusionment Charm on both her and Neville, something she had been practising on and off for an hour before her and Neville's departure from the Lovegoods. She cast the same charm on their belongings and Effie's carrier. She and Neville got the top of (Y/n)'s car back in and with a quick charm, the luggage trailed after Neville and (Y/n). Due to them being viewed as friends, Grimmauld Place revealed itself to them. Neville and (Y/n) were both too scared to go first and, at length, (Y/n) finally worked up the courage to lead the way up the steps and knock. She shuffled backwards to the very edge of the step and waited. 

There was a series of locks clicking and, not even a moment later, the door was cracked open, the upmost chain lock still drawn.

"Code—?"

"Harry, please!" a desperate voice called from inside. (Y/n) and Neville exchanged a glance.

"Fox On The Run," (Y/n) said matter-of-factly. The door closed, and there was the sound of something sliding against the door. It opened again and Remus quickly motioned them inside.

"Clear ride?" Remus asked.

"Oh, yes," (Y/n) nodded, pushing up her sunglasses to settle on the top of her head. "I reckon we just barely beat traffic..."

"That's great to hear," Remus said, holding his hand out to deflect a trunk that nearly hit him. "Glad you were able to fix Olivia's old car up in time."

"I know!" (Y/n) exclaimed. "There are so many things that I just need the reminder that I can do it to be able to do it... Like Fleur talks to me in French all the time and I have no memory of learning French, but I can get a general idea of what she is saying..."

"That's not even touching the times you've cast some sort of silent spell," Neville murmured. (Y/n) smiled apologetically.

"You can leave the luggage somewhere against the wall," Remus advised.

"Thanks," (Y/n) said, delicately setting down the luggage.

"Neville!" Alice Longbottom exclaimed, rushing over to her son. Frank was right with her. 

"Hi, Mum," Neville smiled as Alice hugged him.

"Have fun driving?" Frank asked, side-hugging (Y/n).

"Lots," (Y/n) answered. Remus leaned back, peeking into the drawing room. He smirked and shook his head.

"Olivia's not here yet," Dorcas Meadowes said as she came up from the basement. "But Marlene's started boiling water if you want any tea..." She trailed off as she caught sight of the drawing room.

"Are the Potters not here?" Neville asked.

"They are," Alice said warily. 

"We are," Lily Potter said, just barely peeking her head out of the drawing room. She glanced inside before backing out. "Harry's been in a bit of a mood," she said quietly. "He stayed with Sirius when James and I were out of the country and they're both on... house arrest, per se... So Sirius couldn't take Harry to Arthur's celebration..."

"I thought he was innocent," Neville frowned.

"He is," Lily nodded. "But not many people are too happy with the number of people that were sent to Azkaban and he's the one taking the blame for it... Some people just won't accept the facts, will they?"

"Why don't you go take a seat and we'll bring up the tea?" Dorcas suggested, motioning (Y/n) and Neville forward.

"That'd be best," Remus mused, stepping aside to let Neville and (Y/n) pass. James Potter glanced over his shoulder and nodded at the pair. He was standing in front of a fuming Harry Potter. Harry was being forced to sit by Sirius Black's hands on his shoulders and James's hand holding Harry's forearms. Harry, just like his father, had brown skin and black hair with Lily's green eyes.

"Hey," Sirius said casually. Harry flew to his feet the moment his dad and godfather let go. (Y/n) yelped, just barely managing to prepare herself as Harry ran over and tightly hugged her.

"Careful, Harry!" Lily cried.

"Hello, Harry," (Y/n) greeted pleasantly, smiling at Sirius and James over Harry's shoulder. "Has Tonks or Penny stopped in recently?" she ventured to ask.

"Uh... No. Neither of them was at the latest Order meeting, come to think of it," James said. Grimmauld Place was the Order of the Pheonix headquarters. "Why?"

"Oh, I just wanted to ask one or both of them something," (Y/n) said dismissively.

"We could leave a message," Lily said.

"That is all right," (Y/n) assured. "I might be stopping in here more often than not."

"Really?" Harry asked hopefully.

"Yeah, I took your mum's words into heart," (Y/n) said, "and got a job in Diagon Alley."

"What?" Harry snapped. Lily's eyes widened.

"(Y/n), I meant getting an internship!" Lily exclaimed. "You know, somewhere at the centre of the Ministry? Somewhere that you aren't in immediate danger?"

"In what world would I want to work for the government?" (Y/n) frowned. "Did the old me want to work with the Ministry?" Lily stared blankly at her.

"Well, you and Hermione often talked about forcing the Minister to allow you two to create a department that works against discrimination," Lily said at length.

"Why is there not a department for that already?" (Y/n) asked, frowning.

"Well... You guys want rights for house-elves," Lily said.

"OH! S-P-E-W," (Y/n) nodded. "It is disheartening, really, to know that no one has tried fighting for house-elf rights before now..."

"What's S-P-E-W?" Alice asked.

"It's an organization Hermione created back in fourth year," Harry answered.

"I got that much," Alice said. "What's it about?"

"Campaigning for house-elf rights and freedom," Harry answered. "(Y/n)'s also extended it to fighting against the discrimination of half-breeds and I also believe Hermione's added centaurs and goblins to that list..."

"How do I join?" Alice ask.

"Ask Hermione. She's got the pins," Harry answered, shrugging.

"I don't know how long it'll take for you two to understand," said Sirius, "but house-elves don't want to be free."

"How can they know what they want if they have no other choice?" (Y/n) argued. "I mean, your family gives you a piece of clothing, then what? No place is going to hire you, you have to beat yourself up when you make a little mistake, you would be taboo if it gets out that your family let you go... Huh, does that not sound familiar?" She pursed her lips and looked to the ceiling as though needing to think hard.
"Oh, it is!" (Y/n) exclaimed. "Your best mate cannot get a job because his huge secret got out! It is not just about the elves, it is about injustice to anyone who dares to not be a Pure-blood! If the Ministry would take a single look into Muggle history, they will find that having such a strong say in species that are not their own has never done anyone any good!" She paused and stared intently at Sirius. "And if you do not open your eyes and see how hard it is for anyone that is not a Pure-blood, I am afraid that I will not approve of you dating and eventually marrying my dad!"

James burst into laughter as Sirius's jaw dropped. Lily turned her head, laughing into her shoulder whilst Harry's eyebrows knitted together.

"What's your dad got to do with this?" Harry asked.

"Remus adopted (Y/n)," Neville answered in an undertone. 

"Really?" Harry gaped. (Y/n) took Harry's moment of shock to slip out of his arms.

"You heard her," Remus said coolly from the doorway.

"Heard who?" Marlene asked, a tea tray in hand. Remus nodded his head at (Y/n), his eyes still trained on Sirius.

"R-r-r—" James couldn't finish his sentence without laughing. "Right then, Padfoot. Get the—" He giggled. "Get the step-daughter's approval before anything else." Now (Y/n) was confused.

"Why does my opinion matter?" (Y/n) demanded. "Are you two not already dating?" The room seemed to still and James's laughter died down until he only grinned quite forcefully. The adults avoided Neville, (Y/n), and Harry's expectant stares.

"Well?" Harry pressed. 

"I thought the same as (Y/n)," Neville quietly admitted.

"They haven't been together in a long time," Lily answered vaguely.

"How long?"

"Sixteen years long," Sirius answered.

"Sixteen years too long," Marlene corrected, glancing between Remus and Sirius.

"How stubborn are you two?" (Y/n) cried.

"That's what I've been saying!" James exclaimed. 

"They both think the other is too good for them," Mary whispered to (Y/n), who gave her a baffled expression.

"Enough of that," Remus said shortly. "(Y/n), you never told me where you got a job."

"Oh..." (Y/n) murmured. "It is a plant-slash-flower shop owned by a sweet old couple," she said.

"Plant-slash-flower shop?"

"I imagine they must have been separate businesses at one point, but there is a doorway that connects the two now," (Y/n) explained.

"Are they two businesses that are just connected?" Marlene asked.

"No, no, not that," (Y/n) shook her head. "You would have to see it to get what I mean, but I would be making bouquets, caring for the plants and flowers, and also supplying plant-related supplies."

"What's the name?" James asked.

"Stem to Stem," (Y/n) beamed. "Cute, don't you think?"

"I don't think that's on Diagon Alley," Lily said. 

"It's Knockturn Alley, technically," Dorcas said.

"What?!"

"Barely," Dorcas said. "Right there on the corner. There's an entrance from Diagon Alley into the shop, but it's technically a part of Knockturn Alley."

"Absolutely not!" Remus exclaimed.

"Two extra steps is not going to kill me," (Y/n) said defensively.

"You'd be naive to think that, lass," Alastor Moody growled from the doorway, hitting his cane to the floor and making nearly everyone in the room jump.
A woman with olive skin and brown curly hair poked her head into the room, her eyes scanning the inside. She beamed upon catching (Y/n)'s eyes.

"Hi, lovely," Olivia Green greeted.

"Before you two go," Remus said.

"Go?" Harry frowned.

"Before you two go, can we chat, Olivia?" Remus asked forcefully.

"Oh, sure," Olivia said, sending (Y/n) a 'what did you do?' sort of look. They watched the two walk off.

"You know, (Y/n), Sirius would owe you five and a half times if you got him and Remus back together," Mary hinted.

"He has never asked me for anything," (Y/n) stated. "He does not owe me anything."

"Tasteful," Marlene hummed.

"No, no, don't give me that after everything you've gone and done—" Sirius said.

"But," (Y/n) continued.

"There it is," Mary grinned.

"If you are so hopelessly devoted to my dad," (Y/n) said, "might I recommend repairing your relationship with your own brother first?" Sirius opened and closed his mouth at the expectant stares from the others.

"Do I really need to?" Sirius asked. (Y/n) sighed depressively.

"Mr. Black has communication problems, noted," (Y/n) said. For good measure, (Y/n) took out a notepad and pencil from her purse, reading as she wrote. "'Cannot clear up a simple misunderstanding with his own brother, how will this apply to a relationship?'" She looked at Sirius as though she was a disappointed mother.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

1K 42 13
Where a group of slytherins become friends with a girl of many secrets Or When an optimistic girl meets a group of cruel slytherins which she cares a...
69.8K 1.9K 30
━━ 𝐋𝐀𝐓𝐄 𝐍𝐈𝐆𝐇𝐓𝐒; ❝ 𝘆𝗼𝘂'𝗿𝗲 𝗮𝗯𝘀𝗼𝗹𝘂𝘁𝗲𝗹𝘆 𝗽𝗲𝗿𝗳𝗲𝗰𝘁 𝗮𝗻𝗱 𝘁𝗵𝗲𝗿𝗲 𝗶𝘀 𝗻𝗼𝘁 𝗼...
52.1K 3.4K 60
In which the anxiety and excitement of the teenage experience are captured. Book Three of the Party Police Series Goblet of Fire
33.6K 2.3K 76
In which the healing process becomes a lot more difficult than (Y/n) (Y/l/n) would have expected. Book Four of the Party Police Series Order of the P...