Love and war

By Dragon_watcher04

This is about my Oc Ester, this will take place during Httyd 1. It's not very good, so I might do a rewrite. More

Chapter 2
Chapter 3
Chapter 4
Chapter 5
Gift of the Night Fury pt 1
Gift of the Night Fury pt 2
Gift of the Night Fury pt 3
50 READS?!?
OK Wth

Chapter 1

68 2 1
By Dragon_watcher04

a/n

This: Is for important people

'This is thinking'

And this is action or to describe something

'This is Berk. It's twelve days north of Hopeless, and a few degrees south of Freezing to Death. It's located solidly on the Meridian of Misery.' We go past some statues only to dive through a crashing wave and jump to a closer shot of the island. As we pan in a circular motion, we see several structures, houses, and a sheep farm.

'My village. In a word, sturdy. And it's been here for seven generations, but, every single building is new. We have fishing, hunting, and a charming view of the sunsets. The only problems are the pests. (A dragon carries one sheep away. The other resumes grazing.) You see, most places have mice or mosquitoes. We have...'

A dragon fires at the screen as a door slams shut, a boy cowering behind it

'Dragons...

Most people would leave. Not us. We're Vikings. We have, stubbornness issues.' The boy runs outdoors, where all the houses are on fire and Vikings are tussling with dragons all around. 'My name's Hiccup. Great name, I know. But, it's not the worst. Parents believe a hideous name will frighten off gnomes and trolls. Like our charming Viking demeanor wouldn't do that.'

Hiccup is seen dodging several Vikings. A nearby explosion from the blast of a teal Gronckle causes him to trip and a male Viking roars in his face.

"ARGGGHHHHH! Mornin'!"

"What are you doing here?!"

"Get inside!"

"What are you doin' out?"

"Get back inside!"

Hiccup is then grabbed by the collar of his shirt

???: Hiccup?! What is he doing out aga--?! What are you doing out?! Get inside!

'That's Stoick the Vast. Chief of the tribe. They say that when he was a baby, he popped a dragon's head clean off of its shoulders. Do I believe it?(Stoick throws a wooden cart at a dragon, knocking it out mid-air) Yes, I do.'

Stoick: What have we got?

"Gronckles, Nadders, Zipplebacks. Oh, and Hoark saw a Monstrous Nightmare."

Stoick: Any Night Furies?

"None, so far."

Burning embers land on Stoick's shoulder. He casually brushes it off.

Stoick: Good...

Two enormous torches are raised and lit. The dragons swarm around them. Hiccup runs into a blacksmith shop and puts on an apron.

Gobber: Ah! Nice of you to join the party! I thought you'd been carried off!

Hiccup: What, who me? Nah, come on! I'm waaaay too muscular for their taste. They wouldn't know what to do with all... this.

Gobber: Well, they do need toothpick don't they.

'The meat-head with attitude and interchangeable hands is Gobber. I've been his apprentice ever since I was little. Well... littler.'

???: Leave the poor boy alone Gobber. (a young woman with long, braided, dirt blonde hair, and big brown eyes showed up carrying a bucket of water)

(this is what she is wearing)

'That... is Ester. She is one of the only people that sees me as a friend. Well...'

Ester walks up next to Hiccup and kisses his cheek before walking outside to help with the fires.

'...more than a friend really...'

Hiccup puts a hand on the place where Ester kissed and smiled. Gobber looked at him and smiled smugly.

~~~~

Stoick: We move to the lower defenses. We'll counter-attack with the catapults. (A dragon swoops down and sets another house on fire.) 

See? Old village, lots and lots of new houses.'

"FIRE!"

Some Viking teens are seen carrying buckets of water towards the fire that had just erupted.

'Oh, and that's Fishlegs, Snotlout, the Twins, Ruffnut and Tuffnut, and Astrid. Oh, their job is so much cooler.'

Hiccup leans out of the smithing window to get a better look. Gobber lifts him up and back into the shop.

Hiccup: Oh, come on. Let me out, please? I need to make my mark!

Gobber: Oh, you've made plenty of marks. All in the wrong places!

Hiccup: Please, two minutes. I'll kill a dragon. My life will get infinitely better. I might even impress Ester!

Gobber: First of all, we both know that is unnecessary, secondly, You can't lift a hammer, you can't swing an axe, you can't even throw one of these!

Gobber holds up a bola and a Viking grabs it and uses it to bring down a dragon.

Hiccup: Okay, fine, but this will throw it for me.

Hiccup pats a wooden machine, which opens and shoots a bola randomly, hitting a Viking standing in the background.

Gobber: See, now this right here is what I'm talking about!

Hiccup: Mild calibration issue-

Gobber: Don't you-- no-- Hiccup. If you ever want to get out there to fight dragons, you need to stop all... 

...this.

 Gobber gestures to Hiccup's body.

Hiccup: You just gestured to all of me.

Gobber: Yes! That's it! Stop being all of you!

Hiccup: Ohhhh...

Gobber: Ohhhh, yes.

Hiccup: You sir, are playing a dangerous game. Keeping this much, raw... Viking-ness... contained? THERE WILL BE CONSEQUENCES!

Gobber: I'll take my chances. Sword. Sharpened. Now.

'One day, I'll get out there. Because, killing a dragon is everything around here.'

Nadders are shown attacking sheep, Gronckles are stealing racks of fish, and a Zippleback ignites a house and blows it up.

'A Nadder head is sure to get me at least noticed. Gronckles are tough. Taking down one of those would definitely impress people. A Zippleback? Exotic. Two heads, twice the status.'

Stoick: Concentrate fire over the lower bank!

'And then, there's the Monstrous Nightmare. Only the best Vikings go after those. They have this nasty habit of setting themselves on fire.'

A Monstrous Nightmare growls and alights itself as it climbs up the catapult

Stoick: Reload! I'll take care of this. 

Stoick fights the Nightmare, which takes a few hits before retreating

'But the ultimate prize is the dragon no one has ever seen. We call it the--'

"NIGHT FURY!"  "GET DOWN!"

A high-pitched whistle is heard from the sky. From out of nowhere, an explosion tears the catapult apart.

Stoick: JUMP!

'This thing never steals food, never shows itself, and... never misses. No one has ever killed a Night Fury. That's why I'm going to be the first.'

Gobber: Man the fort, Hiccup. They need me out there!

Gobber attaches an axe to his arm and begins to run out, but turns around at the doorway.

Gobber: Stay. Put. There. You know what I mean.

He then screams a battle cry before joining the other Vikings with fending off the dragons. Hiccup is about to run outside the fort with his bolas launcher when a voice stops him.

Ester: At least take a witness with you.

Hiccup turns to the right to see Ester had returned and was leaning on the Blacksmith window. This causes Hiccup to smile and nod, before taking off with Ester not far behind.

"Hiccup, where are you going?!"

" Come back here!"

"Make sure he doesn't die Ester!"

Hiccup: Yeah, I know! Be right back!

Ester giggled at the last comment before continuing to follow her lover. Hiccup is pushing a cart with the automated catapult on it. Meanwhile, Stoick captures several Nadders in a net and wrestles them. One tries to blast him with fire.

Stoick: Mind yourselves! The devils still have some juice in them!

Hiccup sets up his bola catapult on an empty hill and looks around. Ester stands beside him, observing the night sky in search of the Night fury.

Hiccup: Come on. Gimme something to shoot at, gimme something to shoot at.

Ester searches around the night sky, and catches on a shadow, visibly blotting out the stars. It fires, and an explosion illuminates it, showing a visible shadow. Hiccup shoots, and a loud cry is heard as the shadow is seen plummeting down into a forest. Ester goes to help Hiccup, but not before seeing the dragon get caught and plummet to the ground on a nearby island(?)

Ester: Oh my Thor. YOU HIT IT!

Hiccup: Oh, I hit it! YES! I HIT IT! Did you see that!?

A Monstrous Nightmare shows up and crushes Hiccup's bola launcher.

Hiccup: along with you...

Ester quickly grabs Hiccups collar and runs from the dragon. Stoick turns to see the Monstrous Nightmare chasing Hiccup and Ester, and gets up to go help them.

Stoick: DO NOT let them escape!

They both runs behind a torch pole and hides, just as flames reach around the corner. They look behind it and on the other side, the Nightmare reaches to get them. Stoick punches the beast and jumps back to defend himself. The dragon tries to breathe fire, but coughs up only a few drops of flaming liquid instead, having exhausted its shots.

Stoick: You're all out.

Stoick promptly defeats the Nightmare, which quickly flees. The torch pole collapses, revealing Hiccup and Ester, though she was hiding behind him. The torch tumbles down into the village, leaving ruins in its wake.

'Oh, and there's one more thing you need to know...'

The torch rolls onto the Nadders Stoick netted earlier, freeing them. The dragons manage to escape, hauling off most of Berk's food and livestock.

Hiccup: Sorry, Dad.

Everyone was looking at Hiccup, not surprised he had caused the destruction. Ester cringed at all the eyes that were looking.

Hiccup: Okay, but I hit a Night Fury.

Stoick grabs Hiccup by the back of his shirt and drags him towards his house.

Hiccup: It's not like the last few times, Dad! I mean, I really actually hit it!

Ester: He's right y'know. I saw it.

Stoick looked at Ester in disbelief, causing her to shut up very quickly. She knew there was no convincing him when he's as stubborn as a yak in an ice bath on a hot day.

Stoick goes back to dragging Hiccup and she gives him a solemn look. He understood why she didn't say anything, the chief was stubborn. He wouldn't believe anyone could catch a Nigh Fury, much less a scrawny boy like him.

Hiccup: -You guys were busy and I had a very clear shot. It went down, just off Raven Point. Let's get a search party out there, before it--

Stoick: STOP! Just... stop. Every time you step outside, disaster follows. Can you not see that I have bigger problems? Winter's almost here and I have an entire village to feed!

Hiccup: Between you and me, the village could do with a little less feeding, don't ya think?

Ester giggled softly at the boys comment earning a smile from him. A Viking at the back rubs his stomach as if to say "Are you calling me fat?"

Stoick: This isn't a joke, Hiccup! Why can't you follow the simplest orders?

Hiccup: I can't stop myself. I see a dragon and I have to just... kill it, you know? It's who I am, Dad.

Stoick: You are many things, Hiccup. But a dragon killer is not one of them. Get back to the house. Make sure he gets there. I have his mess to clean up.

Both Ester and Gobber gave each other a look before walking up to Hiccup.

Tuffnut: Quite the performance.

Snotlout: I've never seen anyone mess up that badly. That helped!

Snotlout gets hit on the head by Gobber while Tuffnut gets kicked in the shins by Ester.

Hiccup: Thank you, thank you. I was trying, so...I really did hit one.

Gobber: Sure, Hiccup.

Ester: He's right though...

Hiccup: He never listens.

Gobber: Well, it runs in the family.

Hiccup: And when he does, it's always with this... disappointed scowl. Like someone skimped on the meat in his sandwich. [Imitating Stoick] Excuse me, barmaid! I'm afraid you brought me the wrong offspring. I ordered an extra large boy with beefy arms. Extra guts and glory on the side. This here, this is a talking fish bone!

Gobber: Now, you're thinking about this all wrong. It's not so much what you look like, it's what's inside that he can't stand.

Ester: Wow. Very helpful Gobber.

Hiccup: Thank you for summing that up.

Gobber: Look, the point is, stop trying so hard to be something you're not.

Hiccup: I just want to be one of you guys.

Ester: Hiccup...

Hiccup closes the door behind him. She looks to the ground before deciding to head back home. But not before Hiccup exits through the back of the house and runs into the forest. We are now in the Meade hall where everyone is gathered.

Stoick: Either we finish them, or they'll finish us! It's the only way we'll be rid of them! If we find the nest and destroy it, the dragons will leave. They'll find another home! One more search. Before the ice sets in.

"Those ships never come back."

Stoick: We're Vikings! It's an occupational hazard! Now who's with me?

"Today's not good for me. I've gotta do my axe returns."

Stoick: Alright. Those who stay will help Ester look after Hiccup.

Everyone suddenly changes their minds and raises their hands.

"To the ships!"

"I'm with you, Stoick!"

Stoick: That's more like it.

Gobber: Right, I'll pack my undies.

Stoick: No, I need you to stay and train some new recruits.

Gobber: [Sarcastically] Oh, perfect. And while I'm busy, Hiccup and Ester can cover the stall. Romantic lighting, nobody around them, lots of time to themselves... what could possibly go wrong?

Stoick: What am I going to do with him, Gobber?

Gobber: Put him in training with the others.

Stoick: No, I'm serious.

Gobber: So am I.

Stoick: He'd be killed before you let the first dragon out of its cage.

Gobber: Oh, you don't know that.

Stoick: I do know that, actually.

Gobber: No, you don't.

Stoick: No, actually, I do.

Gobber: No, you don't!

Stoick: Listen, you know what he's like. From the time he could crawl he's been... different. He doesn't listen, he has the attention span of a sparrow... I take him fishing and he goes hunting for... for trolls!

Gobber: Trolls exist! They steal your socks. But only the left ones. What's with that?

Stoick: When I was a boy...

Gobber: Oh, here we go.

Stoick: My father told me to bang my head against a rock, and I did it. I thought it was crazy, but I didn't question him. And you know what happened?

Gobber: You got a headache.

Stoick: That rock split in two. It taught me what a Viking could do, Gobber. He could-- He could crush mountains, level forests, tame seas! Even as a boy, I knew what I was, what I had to become. Hiccup is not that boy.

Gobber: You can't stop him, Stoick. You can only prepare him. Look, I know it seems hopeless. But the truth is you won't always be around to protect him. He's going to get out there again. He's probably out there now. And since you're so worried, let Ester join him too.

~Meanwhile~

Hiccup: Oh, the gods hate me. Some people lose their knife or their mug. No, not me. I manage to lose an ENTIRE DRAGON?!

He hits a branch only for it to hit him back. He sees a giant path of dug up dirt. Hiccup encounters the Night Fury, bounded by his bola and takes out his knife. He is frightened and hides behind a rock, slowly approaching the fallen dragon.

Hiccup: Oh, wow. I did it. Oh, I did it! This fixes everything! Yes! I have brought down this mighty beast!

[Hiccup steps on the seemingly dead dragon's face but it is still alive and shoves him away]

Hiccup: Whoa!

Hiccup: I'm going to kill you, dragon. I'm gonna cut out your heart and take it to my father. I'm a Viking. I am a VIKING!

[He hesitates, looking at the dragon's frightened eyes. The Night Fury, while visibly scared, makes no sound and lays still. Hiccup, unable to kill the defenseless creature, finally gives in.]

Hiccup: I did this.

[Hiccup begins cutting the ropes that bind the Night Fury.]

[The dragon stirs, opening its eyes. It rolls Hiccup over, roars in Hiccup's face, and lopsidedly flies away, leaving him unharmed.]

[Hiccup whimpers and faints.]

In the Haddock household. Hiccup runs past Stoick and quickly and quietly crawls up the stairs, but Stoick notices him.

Stoick: Hiccup.

Hiccup: (stops halfway up the stairs) Dad! Uh... I have to talk to you, Dad.

Stoick: I need to speak with you too, son.

Hiccup and Stoick: (simultaneously) I've decided I don't want / I think it's time you learn / to fight dragons. What?

Stoick: You go first.

Hiccup: No, no, you go first.

Stoick: Alright. You get your wish. Dragon Training. You start in the morning.

Hiccup: [Panicking] Oh, man, I should've gone first! Uh, 'cause I was thinking, you know, we have a surplus of dragon-fighting Vikings, but do we have enough... bread-making Vikings, or small home repair Vikings--?

Stoick: You'll need this. [passes Hiccup an axe]

Hiccup: I don't want to fight dragons.

Stoick: Come on. Yes, you do.

Hiccup: Rephrase: Dad, I can't kill dragons.

Stoick: But you will kill dragons.

Hiccup: No, I'm really very extra sure that I won't.

Stoick: It's time, Hiccup.

Hiccup: Can you not hear me?!

Stoick: This is serious, son! When you carry this axe, you carry all of us with you. Which means you walk like us. You talk like us. You think like us. No more of... this.

Hiccup: You just gestured to all of me.

Stoick: Deal?

Hiccup: This conversation is feeling very one-sided.

Stoick: DEAL?!

Hiccup: Deal.

Stoick: Good. Train hard. I'll be back. Probably.

Hiccup: And I'll be here. Maybe.

(sorry this is so long-)

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138K 1.7K 41
I absolutely love reading these so I thought I would write some myself. Requests are welcome.
73.9K 643 9
After asking Astrid for a sleepover, the young couple sleeps together in the same bed for the first time. It quickly becomes a habit for Astrid and H...
1.8K 60 54
This is a fan-fiction I wrote a couple years ago, so some stuff isn't accurate as seasons of rtte hadn't come out. I also wasn't as familiar with htt...
75.2K 1.7K 32
This is book 2 of my Hiccstrid fanfiction series, which is why I highly recommend reading the first book, 'Don't Leave Me' before commencing with thi...