Country Mile

By Shades0fNavy

After the sudden passing of her mother, brazen 14 year old Genevieve Henderson is uprooted from being a light... More

šŸŒ» BOOK ONE: HOME
RUDE AWAKENING
GET TO KNOW ME
I ALWAYS WANTED A BROTHER
THE QUEENDOM OF KISSMYASS
TURNING INTO A PUMPKIN
ENLIGHTEN ME
DAMN MY TRAITOROUS HEART
NEVER LETTING GO
ANXIOUS AND EXCITED
UNFORGETTABLE SUMMER NIGHT
CATCH THE WOODS ON FIRE
NOT DARING TO LOOK BACK
NOTHING LEFT TO FEAR
SHATTER THE GLASS CEILING
TO TEST HER WINGS
BEGINNING TO GLOW AGAIN
STARS FOREVERMORE
INTERROGATING EYES
MAKING THE RIGHT MOVE
SELF CONTROL SNAPPED
CHANCE TO COME CLEAN
OLD HABITS DIE HARD
BURN 'EM UP
STILL HIS LITTLE GIRL
COLD AND DISGUSTING
TAKE A BREATH
NEWFOUND INFORMATION
FORBIDDEN FRUIT
WELCOME TO THE ENDGAME
THE DEVIL'S TRICK CANDLE
STRAIGHTEN YOUR CROWN, QUEEN
MELTING AWAY
HOME
šŸŒ» BOOK TWO: TOGETHER
NEW YEAR, SAME ME
ASK TO BE HELD
SO CONVINCING
SEALED THEIR FATES
FULL PRICE
SHE WOULD REMEMBER
HELL WAS WELCOMED HOME
ON FIRE TOO
BARRELING TOWARD HER
SURVIVE ANYTHING
NOT ANYMORE
BETTER DAYS WOULD COME
DREAM COME TRUE
FINALLY WARMER
REALLY WAS REDEEMABLE
FALLEN TOO LATE
HELLFIRE MEDLEY
WITH YOU
SHATTERED REMAINS
CRAZY CAME KNOCKING
THE PRIVILEGE OF BEING
EARLY MORNING LIGHT
THEY BOTH FELL
SUREFOOTED AND OVERJOYED
FINALLY BEEN REIGNITED
AWFULLY GOOD FEELING
STAY THAT WAY
DIDN'T WANT TO LOSE
FLAMES EXTINGUISH
TIME TO UNBURDEN
FAR FROM THEIR GRASP
PERCH IN MY HEART
KEEP IT THAT WAY
SOMEHOW STUNG WORSE
JUST AROUND THE CORNER
DON'T HOLD BACK
AN ABUNDANCE OF LOVE
SHUTTING HIM OUT TOO
A CRYPTIC MESSAGE
ENSURING THEY FLOURISH
HOPE I'M WRONG
NO MATTER WHAT
TOGETHER
šŸŒ» BOOK THREE: MEND
ANYTHING FOR FAMILY
KEEP HERSELF ANCHORED
HEART DRENCHED IN GOLD
IN THE RIGHT DIRECTION
SHE HAD IT ALL
NOTHING TO KNOW
ALL THAT YOU ARE TO ME
IN MANIFOLD WAYS
THERE'S ALWAYS TOMORROW
TWO FEET IN IT
INABILITY TO EVER SIT AGAIN
ROYAL SCREW UP
WHAT DID YOU DO?
THAT WOMAN
OFFICIALLY UNLOCKED
AS OFTEN AS YOU CAN
STICK AROUND
NEEDLED HIS CONSCIENCE
ALL BECAUSE OF HER
FINALLY COME
CHAT IN THE BARN
THEN WOULD YOU?
SHE'LL HAVE YOU
THIS WEEKEND
OUR FAMILY IS COMPLETE
A FOREVER HOME
TO BE ENOUGH
EASIER WITH TIME
YOU ARE
MEND
šŸŒ» AUTHOR'S NOTE

HER SISTER

2.1K 50 6
By Shades0fNavy

Delilah's annoying voice raising in octaves only a guilty person can reach drew Genna out of her thoughts. She could hear the rumble of Adam's deep toned responses but couldn't make out any words. She shook off the feelings that had previously been trying to creep in and instead turned around to head back outside because whatever was going on upstairs was of no concern to her. Those two people will never be of any concern to her. She held tight to her resolve: no more feelings. Ever.

She took a seat on the bottom step while googling the closest vet's office near her location. Paul's Paws N' Claws Clinic came up as number one so she hit the call button and hoped someone would be able to help.

The phone rang three times when a soft southern voice came over the line. "Thank you for calling Paws N' Claws, this is Sara, how can I help you?"

"Um, hi Sara, so, I found a mama dog with newborn pups out in the woods by my house. I'm afraid they're going stroke out in this heat. What can I do for them?"

"Oh honey, your best bet is to call animal control and they'll come and take care of them for you."

"But won't animal control just euthanize them? Especially in areas where there is a high volume of animals already in shelters? I mean, I don't want these poor dogs to die."

"Well, sweetie," she said with a slight tone of annoyance, "in this heat, they'll die either way then won't they? At least with animal control they may have a chance of getting adopted. Don't you think?"

Really bitch? "No, Sheryl, I don't. You and I both know that won't be the case."

"It's Sara."

"Whatever! Thanks for all of your non helpful rhetoric. I'm not calling animal control."

"Excuse me, I—"

"YOU'RE EXCUSED."

Genna tapped the end call icon and had to restrain herself from chucking her phone across the damn yard. She felt like looking up their fax number and sending them all of the percentages of dogs killed each year in shelters with ATTN: DOUCHEBAG SARA in big bold letters on top. Give her some food for thought.

Food for thought. FOOD! Genna face-palmed so hard at the realization of how she could easily coax mama dog into trusting her so she could save her and the pups. Her friends used to scoff at her but honestly, food solved all of Genna's problems. Sad? Eat ice cream. Mad? Get pizza. Happy? Tacos.

She ran back inside and straight to the fridge to see what kind of meat there was. A pound of hamburger sat right on the top shelf. Perfect. She searched the cabinets for a small pan, found a wooden spoon in a drawer, and quickly went to work on browning the beef. The aroma was going to be irresistible to mama dog, in her heart she just knew this would work. Once it was sufficiently browned, she grabbed a large bowl and spooned the beef into it.

She put all the dirty dishes in the sink, grabbed the bowl off the counter and turned around to unfortunately face a teary-eyed Delilah and a confused Adam. He had his hand on Delilah's shoulder and she had her arms wrapped tightly around her middle.

"What's this?" Adam asked.

Genna looked down at the bowl. "Oh this is.. um.. well I was hungry so... but I didn't wanna interrupt you guys.. and now I'm just gonna sit outside and.. eat.. this... snack." She closed her eyes in exasperation at herself. Her own ears disbelieving the very words she spoke. She could either be an impeccable liar, or a real shitty liar. For some reason, there was never an in between for her. And this time, it was shit.

She opened her eyes and looked back up at Adam whose irritated face clearly said, bullshit, but his voice said, "Oh really?"

Genna's internal alert system went off and the word, Redirect! Redirect! Redirect! kept blaring on repeat.

She glanced at Delilah, who was looking up at Adam with that stupid shit eating grin of hers.

"Someone's been crying, huh?" Genna blurted out at her.

Smooth redirection, Genna.

Delilah's eyes snapped to Genna's and her eyebrows furrowed so deeply it was damn near a unibrow. She swiftly brought her hands down to her sides.
Adams hand tightened on her shoulder and pulled her back a step as he took one forward, placing himself between the two girls. His free hand came up to point at Genna.

"Hey now, don't be rude."

"I'm sorry, it's just, she looks really upset."

"Lilah has somethin' she'd like to say to you," he looked down at her. His hand slid from her shoulder to her upper arm. "Ain't that right?" he encouraged as he pulled her forward again.

"Yes sir," she whispered.

They stood in awkward silence for a long moment while Delilah chewed on her bottom lip and lightly tapped the floor with her shoe.

Adam leaned down to speak softly into her ear. "I suggest you get on with it, little girl. Lest you need me to give you a reminder as to how proper, sincere, apologies work."

She quickly shook her head no and her once angry eyes looked into Genna's pleadingly. Seeing that emotion on her face took Genna aback, as she had previously only seen looks of contempt.

"I threw away your note to get you in trouble. It.. it was wrong of me, and.. and I'm very sorry."

Genna's eyes widened at her words. She had suspected as much, only because it was something she would have done, but to hear that Delilah had actually done it came as a surprise. Genna was pissed, but more so impressed.

She placed the bowl on the counter and crossed her arms. "Adam, can Delilah and I speak privately for a moment?"

"I don't think that's a good—"

"I promise, I will mind you." She looked at him, watching as he registered his own words spoken to her not too long ago were reiterated back to him.

"I will too," Delilah said.

He looked back and forth between them, visibly torn on whether or not he should give them the benefit of the doubt.

"Alright," he finally relented. "But if either of y'all start raisin' your voice, I'm comin' back in here to supervise. And heaven forbid you put your hands on one another, we're takin' a trip out to the barn where I'll tan both your hides. Am I clear?"

"Yes, sir," they said in unison.

"Ok. I'll be right outside." He stood there and gave one last glare before stepping out the back door.

They watched him leave and then slowly turned to face each other.

Genna cleared her throat. "So, he can be pretty intense when he's pissed off, huh?"

Delilah let out a soft chuckle. "You could say that."

Genna looked at Delilah, truly looked, for the first time and noted things she hadn't seen before. Her hair was a pretty shade of blonde, she had a soft dusting of freckles across the tops of her cheeks and bridge of her nose, a nose that was button-like and a bit pointier than her own at the tip. She had beautiful blue eyes, just like Adam. She noted how she and Delilah had similarly shaped faces and eyebrows, how their lips were nearly identical, and how Delilah even had a slight dimple in her chin, just like her. She could finally see the girl, and she could tell Delilah could finally see her too.

Genna smirked at how they may not look a whole lot alike, but there was no denying that sneaky bitch had her flare for creative revenge.

She shook her head and laughed, breaking the silence between them. "If it hadn't been done to me, I would undoubtedly be high-fiving you for pulling such a beautiful stunt."

Delilah looked surprised at first, but then laughed too. "I really am sorry about that. About everything, really. I know you're going through a lot right now after losing your mom, but I just..." she shook her head as her words hung unspoken in the air.

"You just felt like with me coming here, you were gong to lose your dad. Right?"

Delilah's body stiffened as she locked eyes with Genna. A mutual understanding overcoming them both. "Yes," she whispered. "It's so stupid and selfish of me, I know."

"It's cool," Genna said sincerely, "I have zero intentions of taking your dad from you. I know what it's like to lose the only parent you know and love. I would never intentionally do that to someone else. He's all yours, girl."

Delilah shook her head. "He loves you, you know that right? It doesn't really matter how you feel or what your intentions are. You have been like, this ghost in my life, haunting my dad. He's never really been all mine. But it was easier to deal with, when you were a ghost. Now it's like you're back from the dead and I'm the one that's going to fade away because he finally has you and 14 years of not being your dad to make up for."

Genna didn't even realize she was tearing up until she blinked and the liquid emotion spilled down her cheek. Her heart broke for the girl standing before her. And Adam. And selfishly, a bit for herself because she didn't realize just how much of those 14 years she wanted him to make up for.

Genna stepped forward without really thinking and pulled the blonde into a hug. Delilah instantly returned the embrace and began to cry with her.

"I'm so sorry," Genna whispered, "I had no idea. I.. I'm never gonna come between you and your dad. I'm.. I'm promising you that, right here and now. I'm making plans to get my GED so I can get a job, support myself, and move out within the next 6 months. You don't have to worry, I won't be here for long."

Delilah quickly pulled back with a mixture of shock and pain in her eyes. "You.. you can't do that Genna. Dad is finally the happiest he has ever been. You can't just leave now!"

"But I thought you said—"

"I know what I said, I was talking about me and my feelings. He would be devastated if you left again. It doesn't take a genius to know that."

"But.. it's what I want."

Delilah looked at her as if she were searching her face for something. "Please at least wait until the end of summer before you make up your mind."

"It's pretty much already made up Delilah."

"At least give me until the end of the summer to change your mind then. C'mon. You have no idea how upset dad will be. And," she added with a sassy grin, "you have no idea how much fun we can have."

Genna quirked an eyebrow as a smile crept across her lips. "Um, do tell."

"Not while dad is in earshot," she whispered. She walked over to the end of the counter where the phone, pens, and paper were. She tore off a piece of paper, jotted down a number and handed it to Genna. "This is my cell. Text me tonight and we'll talk more."

"Ok, thanks." Genna smiled and slipped the paper into her back pocket.

"So, what is with your.. snack." Delilah asked while gesturing air quotes to the word snack.

Genna laughed and face palmed for what felt like the millionth time that day. "Ok, so, it's obviously not for me."

"Nooo," Delilah gasped in faux surprise.

"Ha-Ha. Very funny." Genna rolled her eyes. "I found a dog out in the woods. I wanted to coax her into trusting me enough to get her out of this heat."

Delilah's face lit up at that, "Aww, I wanna help!"

"It's gonna be super tough because.. she has puppies!" Genna squealed while dancing excitedly.

Delilah started dancing with her. "OH MY GOD!" she screamed. "I'M GONNA—"

Adam came forcefully through the back door, eyes bright with anger as he barreled toward the two screaming girls. Startling the shit out of them, they gripped each other tightly. Happy dances ceased immediately.

He stopped just as abruptly as he entered. "Oh," he said calmly. "I heard... so I thought you two were.. never mind."

They all looked back and forth at each other and simultaneously burst into laughter.

All the built up nerves and tension finally gave way to peace and understanding. The air finally felt breathable. Genna's heart finally felt lighter. This house finally felt inviting. All these damn feelings that she swore she would never acknowledge broke down every wall she built. It was unbelievable to feel after a mere 24 hours, but it was undeniable. The man before, felt like her father. And most surprisingly of all: the girl beside her, her sister.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

6.7K 119 15
Raquel is a spunky, stubborn sassy 20 year old living the life in Santa Clarita. What happens when she becomes too much for her mom to handle? Yes sh...
11.1K 260 9
Charlie is independent, stubborn, and too smart for her own good but she's doing just fine or so she thought. Then everything changed: a new home, a...
893K 17.8K 95
Emma Smith is a teenage girl with 5 big brothers. Their parents were divorced and emma lived with her mother until both of her parents died in a plan...
58.5K 1.9K 53
#1 in Country #2 in Adoption #2 in Middle School #3 in Family #4 in Moving on from the Past #5 in Discipline #6 in Overcoming ā€¢ The First Book In Th...