Just What I Need (ON HOLD)

By theErinxx

Seventeen year-old Axel Vincent is pulled out from her high school and left by her parents who hurriedly flew... More

Just What I Need Chapter 1
Just What I Need Chapter 2
Just What I Need Chapter 4
Just What I Need Chapter 5
Just What I Need Chapter 6
Just What I Need Chapter 7
Just What I Need Chapter 8
Just What I Need Chapter 9
Just What I Need Chapter 10
Just What I Need Chapter 11
Just What I Need Chapter 12
Just What I Need Chapter 13

Just What I Need Chapter 3

1.8K 47 14
By theErinxx

I don’t know what it was that woke me but I was wide awake. Slightly groggy, but awake enough to know it was four in the morning. I looked around, not disoriented for I knew I was in room B15 in Earnshaw Academy and today’s my first day. It was too early to get ready though and I wasn’t feeling the need for sleep so I decided to just stay in bed and look up the ceiling until time drags me. It wasn’t long when I got bored and thought it better to go out for a jog. I changed into some sweats and pulled my hair up. I brushed my teeth swiftly and treaded out of the dorm.

I considered informing Jade of my activity but figured that I wouldn’t be in any danger so I just stalked off on my own. It’s not like someone’s going to kidnap me or something. About halfway to the field, I started jogging. The sky was dark blue and the cold was nipping that I internally cursed myself for not bringing a jacket.

The wintry wind whipped my face not-so gently that I gradually slowed down into a half-jog. I didn’t want Jade to find me frozen in the borders of the field. I chuckled at the thought. Just then a silhouette loomed from a distance. I felt my heart skip a beat. It was a man. It was coming for me. I turned on my heels and ran back to where I came from. I wasn’t exactly the fastest runner on Earth so the man was nearing too fast for my liking. I tried to tread harder but my lungs were already bursting with the effort.

“Wait, Louise!” A male voice called from behind me.

I stopped in my tracks. Louise? No one else called me Louise but... Fray? I turned to look if it really was Fray but before I was even facing him, he collided with me.

“Oompfh.” I grunted as my back hit the damp ground and Fray’s weight massed over me.

He was panting as he looked down at me. “Do we always have to meet so disastrously?”

“I’d say no.” I mumbled in between pants.

“Likewise.” He said. He slightly hauled himself up, his on either side of my head. Aside from that, he made no move of getting off of me. “But if we always meet like this, I’d say hell yes.” He flirted.

I rolled my eyes. And, faster than he could register, I used all my remaining force to roll on top of him. I had my hands on either side of his head—a reverse of our position earlier. “Don’t you think this is better?” I smirked.

He grinned, flashing his perfect set of white teeth. “Let me think.” He pursed his lips in an attempt to look like he’s deliberating but I quickly stood up. I held my hand out for his aid.

He pouted adorably but pulled on my hand anyway. “I was still thinking.” He complained when he was upright.

I chuckled. “What are you doing up so early?” I asked and looked around. No one else seemed to be up.

“Jogging.” He provided. “You?”

“Jogging.” I grinned.

“To keep in shape?” He guessed.

“Na. To rid boredom.” I poked his muscled chest.

He chuckled. “Right. Up for another round?”

I looked at the vast field and smirked. “You betcha.”

By the time the one-fourth of the sun was already in sight, we’ve gone three rounds of running, fast-walking and jogging around the field. We laid flaccidly on the damp ground, panting and gasping for air. The sky was beginning to welcome the warm sun. It was tinted with a mixture of pink, light orange and the dark remnants of the night.

“It’s beautiful.” I breathed in awe.

“It is.” Fray agreed, looking at me intently.

I gave him a look. “Way to go cheesy, Fray.”

 “I was simply stating the truth.” He shrugged.

“Right, okay.” I allowed, preoccupied by the stunning view. I’ve watched the sunrise so many times but each time felt like the first: I was always awe-struck.

***

“Louise? Louise! It’s already seven!” A frantic, male voice announced.

I ignored.

“Louise! It’s seven!” The voice reiterated.

I pushed myself to sink back to unconsciousness and disregard the blabbering but before I could, his words sunk in. It was seven. My classes start at seven-fifteen. I sat up rapidly, my head swirling with the speed. The sun was shining brightly now, greeting me in the face.

“You have a bad habit of sleeping in the fields.” He observed, amused. He was looking down at me.

I hauled myself upright so that I was in level with him—not quite though, he was rather tall. “You could’ve waked me up a little earlier.” I grumbled, slightly irate.

He held his palms up, as if in surrender, but he was grinning wickedly. “I had too much fun watching you sleep. You talk.” He remarked.

I knew I talk. It was the reason why I never favored sharing rooms. Before I could flush at the thought of what he might’ve heard, I had dashed for the dormitory. It was rude of me to leave him like that but I didn’t want to be late on my first day.

When I reached my room, I gasped in surprise.

Jade was leaning against the panel in my glass window, looking at me furiously. The sun shone from his back so I was barely able to make out his face; all I knew was that he was frowning and probably burning holes in my face. In the poor lighting though and angry condition he still looked utterly handsome it was unreal. I flicked the lights on. I could tell he was ready for school. He was wearing black pants and a blue shirt that hinted his perfectly built body. In my quest not to gawk, I proceeded to the bathroom, grabbing my towel on the way.

“Where’ve you been?” he asked, voice full of authority.

Almost déjà vu.

“Jogging.” I answered, avoiding his boring gaze as he followed me in the dresser. I rummaged over my stuff for something decent to wear. Finally, I found a pair of tights and a green top. I stood and turned for the bathroom only to be blocked by Jade. I frowned at him.

“Why haven’t you informed me?” He demanded, his face all serious.

I snorted. “It’s not like something bad is going to happen.” I tried to duck under his arm but he lowered it before I could. I scowled at him. “I’m late.”

“So am I.” He said, eyes not leaving mine.

“Then go to class already.” I suggested offhandedly.

“You know I can’t.” He muttered.

I arched an eyebrow. “Seriously, it’s not like I’m going to get shot.” I snapped.

“Still, it’s my job to look after you.”

I huffed and tried to remove his arm from the threshold but it was impossible. I glared at him. “What do you want?” I demanded, furious now. He may be the hottest bodyguard alive and I may feel thrilled whenever he smirked but there was no way he could order me around nor mess with me. It was the one thing I wanted the least.

“I want you to listen to me.” His voice dropped to a menacing volume that I couldn’t help but cringe despite myself.

I shot a glance at my wristwatch. Seven oh-four. “Talk.” I ordered, trying to be stern.

He looked amused, at the same time irritated. “First off, Ms. Vincent, you have to tell me everything you’re doing before you do it—”

“You’re not my father.” I protested but he cut me off.

“Shut up.” I rolled my eyes but did as he said nevertheless. “Second, you need to tell me where you’re going before you go, correspondingly, never run off. Comply and we’ll be in coexistence.”

“Sure.” I said, not really meaning it.

He looked at me.

“I said sure. Now, will you get out of the way?” I looked at his impeding arm pointedly.

He dropped it and I quickly strode for the shower.

***

I took a deep, deliberate breath. This was exactly what I was dreading: the misery of first impression. Jade was quietly laughing at me. I glared at him. He never had to suffer this. The girls would go swooning all over him whether he was labeled the tardy person of the year or not.

“If you stall, you’ll just end up more delayed than supposedly.” His blue eyes glimmered in amusement.

I bit my lip and checked my wristwatch. It was already half past seven. I have been standing here for a solid ten minutes. “Maybe we should just skip our first period.” I was about to walk off when he shook his head.

“I don’t think so.” He mused. “I don’t want to miss my first period on my first day.” He winked at me.

I ignored the sudden fast-beating of my heart and glowered at him. “I want to.” I pushed.

He shrugged, looking more amused at every passing second. “Well, I don’t.”

“Go to class then,” I fumed.

“Not without you.” He smirked, his eyes glinting with mischief.

I grimaced, growing irater. But it faltered, shoving places with surprise. It all happened so fast I would’ve missed it if I blinked. He grabbed hold of my arm, faced me to the door, shoved the door open with a banging sound then pushed me inside. Pairs of eyes turned to look at me with both shock and curiosity, while a certain pair of eyes owned by a balding man with thick eyeglasses glared at me. “M-Mr. Harper.” I muttered sheepishly. At least I knew our History teacher’s name—huge thanks to my schedule—or else, I wouldn’t know what to say.

“Ms. Vincent, am I correct?” He queried, looking slightly incensed at me.

I nodded, barely able to form words.

“Quite a scene, Ms. Vincent. I hope you’re aware that we’re in the middle of a lecture.” He said formally.

I stood there, with shoulders sagged, head hung, not daring to look at anywhere but my feet. I was chagrinned to the full extent of being chagrinned. I cursed Jade internally.

“Take a seat.” He ordered.

I looked at the swarm of students—which I mentally counted, summing to twenty—and half-expected to see Fray but, to my disappointment, he wasn’t there. I trudged to an empty chair on the row before the last. Just when I was seated, Jade came in. He glanced at me mockingly then turned to Mr. Harper. “Good morning, Mr. Harper. Sorry I’m late. I had errands to run for my first day.” His eyes were wide with innocence it was hard not to believe him. I rolled my eyes internally. With an assassin comes an actor, I’d give him that much.

“Sure, take a seat.” He instructed easily.

I frowned. Stupid bodyguard.

There were empty seats on either side of me. He sauntered and for a moment, I thought he was going to sit beside me. But he turned left, and sat on the row before mine, beside a blonde girl who smiled simply at him. He glanced at me and caught my look of frustration, which made him grin.

I got a notebook from my bag and tore a page. I scribbled furiously.

I thought you were all about being my bodyguard?

I crumpled the paper and threw it smack on his head. It bounced slightly and landed on the floor beside his seat. Knowing it was from me, he looked at me curiously. I kept my frown intact.

He picked it from the floor and opened the violently creased paper. He chuckled quietly. The girl sitting beside him looked at him and murmured something, probably asking if he was crazy but he just shook his head. The paper was thrown back at me, landing on my desk.

?

I raised an eyebrow. He returned it by writing nothing but a question mark? I scrawled again.

How can you look after me if you can’t even see me?

I threw it back at him. It was a moment before it arrived back on my desk.

It’s not like you’re going to get shot.

I frowned. These were my exact words this morning.

What if I did? It’d all be on your shoulders. Your conscience would kill you more than anything. You will be engulfed by endless guilt throughout your life.

Will you just admit that you’re jealous and that you want me to sit beside you?

I am so not jealous!

Okay?

I’m simply confused. This morning you were all about your job and now…

Now what?

You act like you don’t care.

Who says I’m acting?

So you really don’t?

Half.

I frowned and decided to just shove the senseless piece of paper in my bag, regretting starting it in the first place. Out of all the shrewd things to do, I chose to banter with Jade. With a heavy sigh, I sunk back to my seat and let time drag me.

It wasn’t long when I noticed two girls look at my direction. I glanced at them and they looked away. The auburn-haired girl mouthed something like, “it’s her.” while the other, who was blonde, spared another glance at my direction.

The bell rang, signaling the end of first class. I stood from my seat and checked on my schedule and map. I was off to building two for Gym. I frowned. Really, now, Gym? This early? Just then I noticed the two girls from earlier sauntering. I looked behind me, in hopes that they’re after anyone but me. But no one was behind me.

“Hi,” the auburn-haired girl chirped. She was petite and her hair barely reached her shoulders. She was wearing a thin mask of make-up. Her features were fairly small. She was actually kind of cute. “I’m Brittany.” She held out a hand. “Call me Brit.”

I shook her hand meekly. “Axel.” I provided with a shy smile.

“Aubrey.” The blonde girl held out her hand too. Unlike Aubrey, she was tall and slender. She was actually pretty, especially in the nerd department—she had thick glasses on. She looked like the beautiful geek type.

“Hi, Aubrey.” I shook her hand too.

“So, you’re new, huh? And a lucky one, for that matter.” Brit wiggled her eyebrows suggestively.

I giggled bashfully, going with the flow but not really knowing what she meant.

“Where’s your next class?” Aubrey queried.

“Gym.” I gave with a groan.

They shot each other glances then squealed in chorus. “Me too!”

“Uh, okay.” I muttered, wondering what they were all about.

Luckily for me, I had earned two cheery companions. I learned that Aubrey was the honor of the class, as I had dearly suspected. She was a full scholar in Earnshaw Academy and was applying to another scholarship for college. Brittany, on the other hand, was the bad girl. Or so, Aubrey had said. Brit had constantly denied it though. She said she was simply “adventurous”, as she would gladly term it.

“So, we saw you yesterday.” Brit started, earning a wary glance from Aubrey. “At the court.”

I think I may know what they’re referring to, but all the same, I chose to stay in the safe side of innocence. “Yesterday?” I echoed.

“Last night, actually.” Aubrey amended.

I pretended to ponder. “At the court?”

They nodded simultaneously and gave me an expectant look.

“With Fray?” I tried to sound unsure but ended up sounding nervous. I knew he was some kind of popular guy in this academy; it was obvious. And I could already guess what they were thinking.

“Exactly.” Brit grinned widely. She looked at me with wide, prying eyes while Aubrey sighed with what seemed like boredom. When Brit sensed that I wasn’t going to say anything, she decided to get things out of me instead. “Are you two…?” She trailed off with wiggling eyebrows.

“No, of course not.” I said, looking offended. It was my first day and I had only arrived yesterday and these people think I was already dating their star player? That’s just sick.

Brit pursed her lips. “But you were wearing—”

“His shirt, I know. And so? I happen to come across him all wet so he lent me a shirt.” I provided, irritated now. I never liked people drawing conclusions about me. I bet they’re already thinking how I threw myself at him. Or was I being paranoid? I doubt.

Brit’s eyes widened with what I assumed were disbelief. “He lent you a shirt? Just because you’re cold?” she asked, her eyes almost bulging out of their sockets.

“Uh, yeah?” I substantiated, unsure.

She shook her head slowly, as if she was taking it all in. “He never did that.” She stated.

I felt my brows scrunch up. “Did what?”

“I’m not saying he isn’t nice, but, he’s a ‘player’, if you know what I mean. And never, in history, had he lent his shirt without having done something over the night.” She said with wide, skeptic eyes.

Aubrey scoffed at her. “Jeez, Brit, you’re freaking her out.” She turned to me with an apologetic smile. “Excuse Brit, she’s his stalker, obviously.”

I chuckled. “I figured.”

We were a room away from the Gym when I remembered. I looked behind me and couldn’t help a smile spread on my face when I caught sight of Jade looking at me. He raised an eyebrow at the sight of my beam but I just shrugged and turned to look in front of me again. Now that’s my bodyguard—no matter how mistakenly he was assigned here. Quite frankly, I don’t think I need him at all. My Dad must be playing some prank on me, hiring an assassin whose life was ultimately top secret to look after me. He must be mocking me, rubbing the fact that I couldn’t take care of myself in my face.

Out of nowhere, I felt myself bump into someone, knocking me backwards. It was a good thing that whoever I smacked into held me so that I wouldn’t completely fall back. “And there we go again.” I looked up to see a smirking Fray. I was vaguely aware of Aubrey and Brit beside me—Brit looking starry eyed at Fray. I heard someone snicker from behind me and frowned. Stupid, arrogant bodyguard. “Less disastrous, for the record.” He grinned down at me.

I managed to grin back despite the compelling urge to turn on my heels and punch the laughing bodyguard behind me. “I agree.”

He chuckled softly and looked over my companions. “Hi,” he greeted them. Brit looked like she was going to pass out any second from now. Aubrey, on the other hand, looked at ease. I suddenly wondered how they got along as friends; they seemed completely opposites. Fray turned to me as he released his grip on my arm. “Where’s your next class?” He queried.

“Gym.” I said. “You?”

“Gym.” He grinned broadly.

-----

Don’t you just love how they meet? Because I know I do, haha. Meet Aubrey and Brit. =)) they’ll be playing quite a role in JWIN. =DD Haha. Small details. Small details. They matter big time.

Vote and tell me what you think!

Continue Reading