DOGFIGHT // B. BRADSHAW

By writer5678904

Lt. Benjamin is well known, and for good reason. Not only was her grandfather a respected admiral himself but... More

00
01
02
03
04
05
06
07
08
09
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25
26

10

4.7K 101 0
By writer5678904

"Captain Pete "Maverick" Mitchell. Your reputation proceeds you" Admiral Simpson announced as he stared at the man in front of him. Pete stood on the opposite side of the table in front of the two admirals. His arms crossed in front laying at his lower stomach.

"Thank you, Sir" Pete responded, backed with a smile.

"Wasn't a compliment" he quickly replied back, leaning forward in his chair.  "I'm Admiral Beau Simpson. I'm the air boss. This is Admiral Solomon Bates" he greeted.

"Warlock, sir. I have to say I wasn't expecting an invitation back"

"They're called orders Maverick" Bates corrected causing Maverick to grin in response. "You do have something in common. Cyclone was top of his class back in '88"

"Actually, I finished second. Just want to manage expectations" Maverick responded, bouncing his weight back and forth from each foot.

"The target is an unsanctioned uranium enrichment plant built in violation of a multi ladder NATO treaty. Uranium produced their represent s a direct threat to our allies in the region. The pentagon has tasked us with creating a strike team to taking it out before it becomes full operational. The plant sits in an underground bunker in this valley. Said valley is GPS jammed and defended by extensive surface-to-air missiles array. Serving a limited number of fifth generation fighters. Which in turn are backed up by a plentiful reserve of surplus aircrafts. Even a few F-14" abates explained, displaying the necessary information on the screen.

"Seems like we aren't the only ones holding on to old relics" Simpson said, jabbing at Maverick himself.

"What's your read, Captain?" Bates asked.

"Well, sir, normally this would be a cakewalk for the F-35 stealth but the GPS jamming negates that. And surface-to-air threat necessitates a low-level laser-guided strike, tailor-made for the F-18. I figure, two precision bombs, minimum. Makes it four aircrafts, flying in pairs. That is one hell of steep climb out of there-" Mitchell points out. "-exposing you to all the surface-to-air missiles. You survive that, it's a dogfight all the way home"

"All requirements for which you have real-world experience" Bates responded.

"Not the same mission, sir" Mitchell countered looking back at Bates before turning his attention back to the board. "No. No, someone's not coming back from this"

Simpson just scoffed at Maverick's attitude. "Can it be done or not?" Simpson asked cutting straight to the point.

"How soon before the plant becomes operational?" Mitchell asked.

"Three weeks. Maybe less" Bates answered. Mitchell pondered on the question for a few seconds before answering with "well, it's been a while since I've flown an F-18, and... I'm not sure who I can trust to fly the other three but I think I can make it work-"

"-I think you misunderstand, Captain" Bates interrupted.

"Sir?"

"We don't want you to fly it. We want you to teach it" Simpson explained.

"Teach, sir?" Mitchell asked, confused.

"We recalled twelve Top Gun graduates from their squadrons. We want you to narrow that pool down to six. They'll fly the mission" Simpson continued to explain, posting the pictures of the twelve recruits on the board behind him.

Mitchell turned around, glancing at each profile before his eyes stopped on Bradley Bradshaw.

He then gazed below his photo to see the name Tucker Benjamin. His frown had deepened.

"Is there a problem?" Simpson asked. He knew there was a problem but wanted to hear it from Mitchell himself.

"You know there is, sir"

"Very well aware. More than one, right? Your first problem is Bradley Bradshaw. Aka Rooster. I understand you use to fly with his old man. What was his call sign?" Simpson asked throwing salt in the wounds.

"Goose" Mitchell weakly responded.

"Tragic what happened" Simpson continued.

"Captain Mitchell was cleared of any wrongdoing. It was an accident" Bates informed Simpson, trying to keep the room in check.

"And Benjamin?" Mitchell asked looking back at the screen. Simpson pulled up her profile, displaying her latest profile picture.

"Tucker Benjamin, granddaughter of Admiral Benjamin. Call sign Tornado. She was recruited against some of our wishes. Suffered an accident six months or so ago in Afghanistan. Hasn't flown since" Simpson said. "You dated her mother, right?"

"I'm her father" he muttered under his breath.

"Oh that's right" Simpson stated, playing dumb to all the family dynamics and problems Mitchell had with this recruited team.

"You said accident. What kind of accident?" Mitchell asked. Surely Penny would have called him up the first chance she got to explain their daughter had been hurt in combat or whatever.

"Afghanistan. Six months ago. She had been testing a F-35C when an enemy plane shot her down. She was rescued with severe wounds to the abdominal area from shrapnel. Had a collapsed lung. Almost didn't make it" Simpson explained.

"Is there a problem, Mitchell?" Warlock asked. Mitchell turned his head back around to look at the two admirals in front of him.

Simpson clearly wasn't pleased with her being on the list just as much Maverick himself.

"If my daughter isn't-" Mitchell began but was cut off by Bates.

"Lt. Benjamin has had the strongest record up until the accident which - it was not to be reflected on Lt. Benjamin, Mitchell. They weren't aware of enemy radars which picked up on her location despite ghost mode. Lt Benjamin's aircraft was too close to the ground for proper ejection. Admiral Kazansky requested her return himself" Bates informed Mitchell.

"Does Penny know about this?" Mitchell asked, looking at her photo once more.

"Family was not contacted. Her request" Simpson explained.

"Mitchell. Enough about the recruits. Are you in?" Bates brought the conversation back to the mission.

He turned back around to face the two admirals once more."With all due respect sir, I'm not a teacher"

"You were a Top Gun instructor before" Simpson countered.

"That was almost thirty years ago and I lasted two months. It's not where I belong" Mitchell countered back.

"Let me be personally blunt. You are not my first choice. Hell, you weren't even on my list. You are here at the request of Admiral Kazansky. Now, Iceman happens to be a man I deeply admire. He thinks you have something left to offer
the Navy". Simpson paused staring at Mitchell, gently shaking his head. "What that is I can't even imagine. You don't have to take this job but let me be clear. This will be your last post, Captain. You fly for Top Gun or you don't fly for the navy ever again" Simpson warned.

Mitchell just stood there in silence before being dismissed. He left the base needing a drink and a moment to clear his head.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

287K 5.5K 29
Bradley 'Rooster' Bradshaw and Rachel 'Hurricane' Mitchell have known each other since Rachel was born, and he was only 3. Despite their age gap, the...
62K 1.2K 34
Eleanor Bradshaw was always seen as a ray of light to her mom and older brother following Goose's untimely death. She always connected instantly wit...
23.1K 574 28
"I get one month to get to know you, show you that it's safe to know me. At the end of the month, we do whatever you want." After being stationed in...
93.1K 2.3K 35
"No one's perfect." "Wrong. YOU are." ⚠️Warning: This story can get kinda dark. There are some depictions of wounds, blood, and mental trauma. ● Brad...