THE WALKING DEAD: Survival Le...

By upside2020

"Finding my father handcuffed to a radiator with a bullet In his head is an image I'll never be able to erase... More

Seeds planted
Shady Business
Broken Glass
Torn apart
Into the Unknown
Hope
Betrayal
The good guys
You Are My Sunshine
A Dangerous Game
From Me To You
From Me To You (PT 2)
No Time Left
Popularity Poll (Season 1)
New world order
Something to hide
Call me, Bill
Tipping Point
Control
Second Chances
New Leadership
Stepping Back
You, The Dead, and The Living
Popularity Poll (Season 1.5)
All That Remains
Playing a role
In Harms Way
In Harms Way (PT 2)
In Harms Way (PT 3)
Who are you...?
Can We Talk...
Escape Plan
No Good Men

Lost and found

328 21 28
By upside2020

[LEE/LAYLA (Narrating): Previously, on "The Walking Dead"]

SENATOR SAM: That's right, consider your options carefully pal. Because... I know guys who'd have just as much fun with your boy, as I did with your wife.

LAYLA: LEE PLEASE!

VINCE: Just call me Vince...

Shawn watched as another man dressed in prison attire stomped mercilessly on the head of one of the undead before moving on and dispatching a few others

VINCE: And that thing over there us what you'd call a "Danny"

[Lee's Voice Message]

[LEE: "I don't even know... if you two are even still out there, or whether or not you're even still alive, but Layla, Shawn, if you find this...

SHAWN: (Sobbing) H-He's.. he's...

LAYLA: He's alive Shawn... he's alive

VINCE: So we're off to Savannah?

Layla smiled

LAYLA: We're off to Savannah

*VRROOOOOOOOOOM*

VINCE: N-NO! DANNNNNNNNY!

VICTOR:  I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say you three probably came here to check out those gunshots...

DAMIAN: Whoever the person or persons responsible are, there playing a very dangerous game, and I do love a good challenge

placing his hand on Sheldon's shoulder, Damian turned to Layla with a smile

DAMIAN: This sick bastard here helped me come up with one of, if the the most powerful weapon on the planet, and I ain't talking about the gun itself...

SHAWN: I told you, you were going to die today

THE COMMANDER: From me, to you...

Uttering his final words, Damian Graves took the shot

*BANG!*

LAYLA: I need to hear you say it buddy

SHAWN: (Whimpering) Keep... moving... forward

LAYLA (Adolescent): W-Will I ever see you again?

Lee turned to face Layla, a small smile playing at the corners of his lips. Opening his mouth, Lee spoke...

LEE (Adolescent): *Chuckle* Yeah, Sooner than you think actually, goodbye, Layla

*BANG!*

[End of Recap]

Now...

In the desolate town of Nunez, Georgia, the air was thick, the only sound were the moans of the undead as they shuffled about endlessly in their eternal search for living flesh. The remnants of civilization were scattered throughout the streets, remnants of a once vibrant community now reduced to a haunting graveyard. Now, the one and only source of life within, was a young eight-year-old child. Shawn Everett sighed as he stared at the garbage can in front of himself, not exactly keen on what he had to next...

SHAWN: (Disappointedly) Here we go again

Shawn leaned closer to the garbage can, carefully sifting through its contents. His eyes scanned for any signs of discarded food that might still be salvageable. The stench of decay hung heavy in the air, adding to the grimness of his task. A can of dog food caught Shawn's attention. He cautiously picked it up, inspecting it for any signs of spoilage. To his relief, the can seemed relatively intact...

SHAWN: I guess this is dinner

Shawn sighed again, a mixture of resignation and frustration. It wasn't the first time he had to scavenge for food in such dire circumstances, and he knew it wouldn't be the last. Survival had become a relentless cycle of finding scraps to sustain himself. He'd been on his own now for four months, using his small size to his advantage as he traversed the small lonesome town...

Opening his bag, Shawn looked through it's contents. His mother's necklace, her Knife, and his uncles Walkman...

SHAWN: *Sigh*

Setting the can of dog food inside, Shawn zipped up his backpack before heading back to the place he now called "Home" As he arrived at his makeshift shelter, an abandoned house he had come to consider his home, Shawn pushed open the door, it creaking slightly, causing the boy to look around, hoping none of the walkers wandering the streets would hear the noise. Shawn ensured that the coast was clear before stepping inside the home. The interior was dimly lit, with dusty rays of sunlight filtering through the cracks in the boarded-up windows. The air was stale and heavy, carrying a scent of abandonment and decay, mirroring the world outside...

*Clink*

Using Layla's knife, Shawn began prying at the can. The metal scraped against the blade, producing a sharp, metallic sound. he noise seemed to hang in the air, momentarily drowning out the distant moans of the undead. Shawn's hands trembled slightly as he continued to pry at the can, his focus unwavering despite the unsettling surroundings.

*Pop*

the can finally gave way, and a satisfying "pop" echoed in the abandoned house. The lid of the can sprang open, revealing the contents within. The aroma of the dog food wafted through the air, mixing with the musty scent of the decaying home. Shawn's stomach growled in anticipation as he prepared to satisfy his hunger. Immediately, the boy dug his small hands into the can and scooped out a portion of the dog food. The chunks of meat and gravy clung to his fingers as he brought them to his mouth, savoring the meager meal that would sustain him for another day.

SHAWN: Urrgh

Resisting the urge to throw up, the putrid taste of the dog food hit Shawn's taste buds. As he ate, Shawn's mind wandered to memories of those he'd lost. The disarming smile of his mother and her soothing voice. The warmth of his father's hand as he ruffles his hair. The hijinks he and his uncle Brandon would occasionally find themselves taking part in. Bitterness and sadness welled up inside as he swallowed the last bite. Tossing the can away in agitation, the boy stood up and made his way to his room, opening the door, he entered...

*Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak*

Shawn winced at the sound of the bedroom door, it was completely silent whenever he opened it, but would always make the same ear piercing noise the second it began to close. He made his way to a corner of the room where he had set up a small sleeping area using scavenged blankets and cushions. It wasn't much, but it provided him some semblance of comfort. As he did every night, Shawn pulled out his uncle's Walkman, drifting asleep to the sound of his father's voice...

SHAWN: (Whimpering) Dad?

His revolver clattered to the floor below as Shawn gazed at the body of his father. Lee Everett laid lifeless against the wall behind him, his right arm handcuffed to a radiator. Taking a few steps forward, Shawn's legs buckled, falling to his knees as the reality of what he was seeing started to set in...

SHAWN: (Whimpering) Please, no, no, no no NO!... Dad!? W-Who did this?

The state of his father broke his heart. Taking in his surroundings, Shawn Everett took a mental note of every last detail. Lee's now missing left arm, the bullet wound in his skull, and the battered walker corpse that lay only a few inches away from him. His father was murdered, it was the only explanation the boy could fathom. After everything he'd been through to make it this far, to find his father like this, and after losing his mother only a few hours earlier left Shawn heartbroken as he spoke...

SHAWN: (Whimpering) W-Why? Why Dad? Why did everything have to be this way? *Sniff* I-I did everything I was supposed to, but I still let you down. First mom, and now you? It's not right *Sniff* You were supposed to stay alive...

Shawn's voice quivered with a mix of grief, anger, and confusion. The weight of the loss overwhelmed him, threatening to engulf him in despair. He reached out a trembling hand to touch his father's lifeless face, it was cold to the touch, retracting his hand, Shawn continued

SHAWN: (Whimpering) There was so much I wanted to ask you, so much I wanted you to teach me. I cant' do this alone, not without you, and mom *Sniff* You told me to keep her safe and I couldn't even do that!

His anger only continued to build. The unfair weight of the world seemed to fall on the shoulders of the eight-year-old boy. He began to feel as though there was no such thing as a happy ending in this world, at least not for him and his family. Shawn eventually came to a depressing realization, the the realization that his world had ended long before the walkers appeared. Refusing to be this world's punching bag any further, Shawn reached over to grab his revolver, intent on forcefully reuniting with his family. His hand shook as he placed the barrel of the gun against his head, his heart pounded as he gathered his willpower, and then...

*Click*

Nothing happened, pulling back the hammer, Shawn tried once more

*Click*

SHAWN: GODDAMMIT!

Checking the chamber, Shawn confirmed that each slot was filled

*Click* *Click* *Click*

Yet, no matter how many times he tried...

*Click*

The gun failed to fire. Shawn's desperate attempt to escape the pain and loss was thwarted by a malfunctioning weapon of all things. A mixture of anger and confusion washed over him as fate, or some sort of spirit had intervened, denying him the release he sought. Throwing the firearm across the store in frustration, Shawn collapsed onto the floor, tears streaming down his face. The weight of his emotions, the grief and the anger, crashed over him like a tidal wave. He curled up into a ball, clutching his knees to his chest, and let out a guttural cry of anguish that echoed through the jewelry store.

*Sob*

His sobs continued, merging with the sound of his own tears hitting the pillow. Now sitting up, the only light that illuminated his bedroom was the faint glow of the moon filtering through the curtains. Shawn's sobs gradually subsided as he wiped away his tears, his breathing steadying. He sat in silence for a moment, then suddenly...

*CRASH!*

The sound of the front door being forcibly kicked open put the boy into high alert. Shawn threw the sheets off of himself, immediately grabbing up his gun. Shawn's heart raced as adrenaline surged through his veins. The sudden intrusion shattered the stillness of the night, he needed to get out of here, and fast. He didn't want to take any chances with whoever found it necessary to kick his door in. Carefully, he opened the bedroom window, and made his way outside. Once he was in the clear, the boy bolted way from the house under the night sky. However, he soon stopped when he realized something

SHAWN: No, no, no, no...

He'd left his backpack, and by extension, all he held dear back in the living room. His mother's knife and necklace, and his uncle's Walkman was among some of the things he'd left behind. Shawn wasted little to no time at all as he rushed back toward the house. Readying his weapon for whatever came next, Shawn snuck back into the bedroom, through the window. Pressing his ear against the bedroom door, he could hear the intruders...

????: I'm tellin you Antoine, somebody fucking lives here

ANTOINE: Looks pretty vacant to me, and besides, aren't you supposed to Bill's right hand guy? why are you more nervous than I am?

Shawn cracked the bedroom door open ever so slightly to get a look at the two men. When he did, he spotted who he thought fit the description of a "Troy" He was a scrawny looking man with brown hair and a goatee, dressed in a long sleeved camo jacket and a pair beige cargo pants. The other man, who Shawn assumed was Antoine, was a bit taller than Troy, and a lot meaner looking

TROY: Right hand? The fuck gave you that idea?

ANTOINE: Maybe the fact that you're always glued to the guy's hip? I don't know, you were the one who brought in me and my husband...

As the two men continued their back and forth, Shawn spotted his backpack on the table where he'd left it earlier in the day. The only problem was it was directly behind Troy...

TROY: First off, the only reason you and Dakota were givin a chance is because Dakota, is family to that damn stoner. You two better start pulling your weight, otherwise Bill is gonna end up kicking your fruity asses to the curb

Antoine walked up to Troy, towering over him causing the shorter man to back away slightly 

ANTOINE: Look, I'm getting sick and tired of you and your remarks. You got something you wanna get of your chest? then say it

TROY: H-Hey! you try anything and I'll make sure you pay for it alright?

Seeing this as his chance, Shawn quietly stepped out of the bedroom, keeping his eyes fixed on his backpack on the table. He knew he had to retrieve it without alerting the two men to his presence. Taking slow, deliberate steps, he made his move towards the table, until...

*Squeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeak*

TROY: The hell was that!?

Shawn froze as the bedroom door squeaked, his heart pounding in his chest. He cursed his luck for the noise that seemed to betray his stealthy approach. He glanced back at Troy and Antoine, their attention now fixated squarely on him, Shawn tried reaching for his gun but was beaten to to it as Antoine immediately drew his own, pointing it at the boy's head

ANTOINE: Don't even try it. With the shit I've seen, trust and believe I won't think twice about pulling this trigger just because you're a kid

Troy then walked up to Shawn, delivered a quick jab to his stomach. 

SHAWN: Urk--

As Shawn fell to his knees, and clutched his stomach, Troy snatched the revolver from the hem of the boy's pants. Inspecting the weapon, he spoke...

TROY: And just who the hell did you think you were going to use this on? you little punk, did you really think you'd get the jump on us like that? huh, did you!?

SHAWN: (Gritting his teeth) I... I was just trying to protect myself. I didn't want any trouble.

TROY: Well, you sure found yourself in it now, didn't you? So why don't you save me a headache and tell me how many of you there are out here...

SHAWN: (Gritting his teeth) I-It's just me

Antoine then lowered his weapon, setting his gun in it's holster as he spotted the backpack sitting on the edge of the table. Picking it up, he opened it before dumping its contents on the table. The flare gun falling to the floor as he continued shaking the bag in hopes of anything more...

ANTOINE: Wow, this kids got a couple useful things in here Troy. A knife, a flare, a couple boxes of ammo? Nice haul brat, hmm?

Shawn's eyes widened

SHAWN: Don't touch that it's mine!

He tried running toward the man who picked up, and was now admiring his mother's necklace, but was snatched up by the collar of his shirt by Troy. Tears filled the boys eyes, his anger boiling over as he tried to break free from Troy's grip

TROY: Why wont you hold still, you little bastard! I ain't done questioning you yet!

*CHOMP!*

TROY: AAAAAAAAGH... Y-YOU LITTLE MOTHER... FUCKER!

In a defiant act of self-defense, Shawn sank his teeth into Troy's hand, the force put into the bite causing Shawn to bite into the tendons and flesh. Troy screamed in pain and released his grip on Shawn, clutching his injured hand. Blood trickled from the wound as Antoine reacted by rolling his eyes. Shawn crawled backwards as Antoine stomped over to him. Antoine then readied his knife with the intent on cutting the Everett boy's story to an abrupt end. That's when Shawn spotted the flare gun to his right, Antoine followed the boy's gaze and hurried, trying to plunge the blade into the Childs chest, but right before he could make contact

*POP*

TROY: H-HOLY FUCK!

Antoine froze, his eyes widening in shock as he stumbled back. Shawn's own eye widening in horror as he realized what he had done...

SHAWN: I didn't mean to...I... I...

ANTOINE: *Gurgle* *Choke*

*Sizzzzzzzzzzzzzzz*

Antoine's body hit the ground with very audible thud, the flare fired by Shawn having lodged itself in the back of the man's throat. His neck appeared to glow an ominous red as the room was now filled with the acrid smell of burning flesh and smoke. Shawn's breathing became shallow and rapid as he stared at the lifeless body before it, all the while trying to justify his action as self defense...

[SHAWN (Narrating): "He wasn't my first kill, and he damn sure as hell wasn't my last. If I'm being completely honest, even though his death was pretty brutal, it wasn't the most life changing encounter I'd ever had, that came next..."]

TROY: Y-You little fuck rat! When Bill finds out about this! You're...

The sound of footsteps echoing from outside caused both Shawn and Troy to turn their attention to the front door as it opened to reveal a man dressed in a brown fur coat. His presence was imposing, his broad shoulders filling the doorway. A stern expression etched on his weathered face, he exuded an air of authority. Unlike the commander, who boasted a more chaotic aura, Bill Carver's was much more refined, and calculated. Dark brown eyes met with Emerald ones, as the man spoke...

BILL: Well then... what do we have here?

A/N: Season 1.5 has officially begun... Again, Which also means I get to delve into my favorite antagonist of the entire series, again. This time however, much better grammar and a lot less spelling mistakes. As always, I hope you guys/gals enjoyed this chapter, and I will see you all next time

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

38.8K 950 39
(Completed) A fanfiction roughly following the storyline of The Walking Dead season 4. Mostly about Clementine and her relationship with Louis throug...
53.1K 1.1K 47
The raiders are gone and the kids from Ericson's boarding school are free! But there is still a question at hand, who are the new people outside the...
25.2K 863 26
Raised as a weapon of war since she was 8 years old, Clementine Everett is sent back to civilization now that her war is over. Clementine had spent...
62.7K 1.8K 43
"It's the Apocalypse... it shouldn't matter," you say, glancing at her lips. "Y/n, that's exactly why it matters." - You meet a special girl and her...