Is It True Love?

By angeldawn09

At first glance, Wendell Chestna appears as a beautiful prince whose presence will enchant others while dashi... More

Introduction
Stickers/Comments
Character Profiles
Locations
Chapter 1: The Deal
Chapter 2: A Test Of Greed
Chapter 3: Creating Frederick
Chapter 4: At First Dance
Chapter 5: A Painful Reality
Chapter 6: New Friendship
Chapter 7: Time Of Blissful Days
Chapter 8: Love In The Air?
Chapter 9: Power To Protect
Chapter 10: Surprising Reunion
Chapter 11: Don't Give In!
Chapter 12: Managing The Double Life
Chapter 13: One Special Request
Chapter 14: Two Sides Of The Same Coin
Chapter 15: In Pursuit Of The Truth
Chapter 16: A Parents' Tender Gift
Chapter 17: Broken Vows
Chapter 18: True Beauty
Chapter 19: The Struggles With Love
Chapter 20: Complicated Feelings
Chapter 21: Runaway
Chapter 22: Family Matters
Chapter 23: What The Future Holds
Chapter 24: Until That Day
Chapter 25: Does Love Have A Price?
Chapter 26: Stealing Their Hearts
Chapter 27: Fight For Peace
Chapter 28: A Noble Sacrifice
Chapter 29: The Aftermath
Chapter 30: Wish Upon A Star
Chapter 31: Regret
Chapter 32: What Her Heart Values Most
Chapter 33: His One True Love
Chapter 34: Start Of A New Heir
Chapter 35: Wedding Day
Q&A
Shoutouts And Ending Note

Epilogue

24 3 45
By angeldawn09

One year later the young king and queen sit side-by-side on their matching thrones. Both listen while the nobleman continues blabbering about silvers he's entitled to receive. They've had a productive day up until this point though the last case brought before them is quite headache inducing.

"That filthy brat ran right into me, and I fell, dropping my delivery. I was lucky to have gotten out of the collision unscratched but shattered numerous expensive wines in the process! Left empty-handed on drinks for my party guests, I was utterly humiliated beyond belief. I say if he cannot fork up the payment, perhaps time in the dungeon would do him some good. The dwarf could also pay back twice the price, since he failed to meet the deadline he promised me."

His cruel suggestions cause the shorter man's face to go pale, immediately paying honor to the royals.

"P-Please have mercy! He threatened to take me here before you, if I didn't pay him in full by seven days. I've collected what coins my family and friends were generous to lend but I request just a few more weeks."

"Don't grovel now that you're in the presence of the king and queen. Begging is all you lowly peasants know how to do. If you fail to restrain your unruly children then avoid visiting the capital's marketplace!" he snaps, making the dwarf flinch, and deep frown tugs at his other half's lips.

"Just why are you tossing insults with your nose pointed high in the air? Do you think he's beneath you because of your prestige family line?" A graceful hand rests on her chest that was once so rough from her many jobs. "I was on an even lower class level as a former resident of Rainswood. Working countless hours to make ends meet and mere steps away from being homeless. Thus, it truly bothers me when nobles treat the poorer like dogs."

The queen's cold tone sends a noticeable chill down his spine and he sighs giving a quick bow.

"I apologize for my rudeness. I've been rather stressed given the party failure which I put a lot of effort into. Now, my single request is to get reimbursed the remaining two hundred silvers he owes me."

"You can still practice having a bit more patience with your current lifestyle. Unlike Zacheus, your household isn't in desperate need of these coins. If he requires an extended period, then a month should be enough for him to pay before taking any actions. Does this sound fair?"

The ruling Kana offers to them seems like a nice deal in his opinion. This man has kids he will be leaving behind if thrown in the dungeon for a simple accident. And charging double over a couple of wine bottles--no matter the taste is absurd.

Although the dwarf accepts her compassion with repeated thanks, the nobleman clicks his tongue shooting a disdainful glare at the queen's verdict. This haughty attitude after that mockery of an apology won't go by unaddressed, Wendell clearing his throat.

"Mr. Rolfe, you have behaved quite disrespectfully from the moment you waltzed in here. You may not be pleased with my wife's decision but you have no grounds to ill-treat her." The king rests his head on folded hands with a sharp glint in his narrowed eyes. "Acting foolishly could land you paying triple the amount this dwarf owes or an even greater punishment."

This remark has the noble shaking in his boots as he genuinely humbles himself, the original snarky demeanor non-existent. Seeing Mr. Rolfe has taken heed of his warning, the ash-blonde releases a soft exhale.

"I'm feeling somewhat generous today so I'll perish your display just this once. As the queen said, Zacheus has a month to pay back what he is required with no further objections. You're dismissed."

The men are escorted out of the throne room and both royals instantly let loose their hair. Despite growing accustomed to conducting such audiences, he still gets nervous when handling messier issues. Surely the pressure is heavier on his wife, yet she managed this situation with ease.

"You did an excellent job in confronting that selfish man."

"Well, I gain a boost of confidence with you sitting beside me, Angel," she replies, and the still unfamiliar name causes heat to rise in his cheeks. "You do say we're allowed to address each other as such when no one else is around."

"Y-Yes, that's true but..."

Since they've been united for quite some time now, he suggested having terms of endearment. The king picked beloved for his partner since it's the first word that comes to mind when thinking about her. However, Kana's choice to call him this is a tad sweeter than what he anticipated.

The brunette suddenly leans closer, having his current blush deepen. "Your face beats red every time I say it. This term fits you best, not only appearance-wise but also the kindness you showed back then that swept me off my feet. Though, I guess if you're embarrassed by this one, I'll pick another."

Oh, how the tables have turned...

Wendell did often tease the girl whenever she got flustered by addressing him more casually. Now, Kana can say his name just fine and even prefers to use this cute term which is kind of embarrassing. But learning her reasons, if that's what she truly wants he won't force his beloved to change it.

"T-That won't be necessary. If you're insistent on angel, I'll have to warm up to it then," he consents, the brunette's smile returning when a familiar voice interrupts their small chat.

"I've never witnessed people who've been married for over a year still act like newlyweds."

None other than Oliver says this remark who is dressed from head to toe in proper uniform. He recently had a knighting ceremony the previous week and continues to train hard with his piled duties. Wendell believes he does possess the strength to get bestowed a royal guard position someday.

"Good evening, Oliver," Kana greets, the couple stepping down from their thrones. "Any troubles with patrol?"

"Nothing to report though I was sent to inform you of a different message. The shipments from Khisenfire have safely arrived and laborers are unloading these textiles while we speak."

"I see, I'm thankful no damage happened to her men or goods being stuck riding through that dreaded storm yesterday. I should write a letter of thanks to Queen Victoria soon when I have the chance," Wendell replies.

Just like predicted, Lorenzo was indeed executed alongside his conspirers upon the queen learning of this treachery. When mourning time passed for their family, the two kingdoms held a vast dinner together. His father's dying wish has been granted as it led to a strong alliance between their nations. They help support defenses and conduct trade deals which are both quite useful. Forming this with Khisenfire is far more beneficial than if he allied with Quincy.

The three of them proceed onward to the hallways and his wife detours for an open window.

"Luckily, the skies look clear enough so we don't need to cancel our midnight meetup," Kana voices though a loud stomach grumble causes her to chuckle. "I suppose my body's first priority is eating a proper meal. The cooks should've finished our supper about now."

"You can go, I'll catch up. I want to speak with Oliver privately for a minute."

The brunette nods, not prying any details and takes off ahead toward the dining hall. He then leads the knight inside a vacant room where they're least likely to be interrupted. Oliver appears rather anxious about this sudden summons pulling at his collar.

"So, how are you fairing with castle life?"

"Everyone has been very welcoming which has helped me settle in, but I failed to realize just how big the palace grounds are until my move. When traveling to unfamiliar wings of the castle, I keep getting lost with all the twists and turns," he frustratedly admits, the king giving a sympathetic smile.

"That's understandable. Living here since birth, I can navigate through the halls with my eyes shut. Kana had gotten lost plenty of times in the beginning but now knows her way around very well. I'm certain you'll too memorize the complicated layout eventually. Nonetheless, curiosity about your adjustment isn't the main topic for our discussion."

Wendell reaches inside a pocket and reveals the pair of dazzling objects that have his scarlet eyes widened.

"The rings are done!"

"Yes, these were delivered last night. I hope you're satisfied with the results because I say he did an outstanding job."

Passing over the circular jewelry, Oliver examines one in the sunset light with a growing grin. The blacksmith was skilled enough to follow every single detail of his sketch. Osbert well earned his status as the best forger in the kingdom.

"I've never seen greater handiwork in such a short time frame... Blanche will adore this ring for certain! I only got my order accepted with his busy schedule because you put in a good word. Ah, how much did his total services cost? I'll pay once I get the gold together or increase my workload, if you prefer."

"That's alright. I've decided to cover the expenses myself."

"But I assure you I can-"

Oliver's objection is promptly cut off by a polite gesture of the hand. The king stares at his own ring, which Osbert had designed and crafted for their family generation after generation.

"You needn't forget Blanche is the sole reason we're at this place today. If she hadn't put a stop to our marriage neither of us would be happy. So I want you to accept this as an early wedding present from me," he explains and the knight scratches at his cheek.

"Considering she says yes..."

"A genuine connection has been apparent since the moment you began to court her. I honestly believe you'll receive a favorable answer."

This isn't simply speaking with false words of encouragement but the absolute truth. With her birthday fastly approaching that will grant Blanche adulthood, Oliver plans to pop the question amongst the sweet smelling flowers where they often played back in Quincy. It'll still be a couple of more weeks of winter until then to construct the perfect proposal. If and when she accepts his hand, the knight's room must get adjusted to fit a future spouse. He seems less troubled with this reassurance, and it's hard to believe the male was his rival at one point.

"I appreciate your support, Wendell."

The boys talk for a while longer though it's kept rather short as they soon part ways. There are still tasks to take care of after supper and not many hours before nightfall.

...

The dark skies are covered with stars which give a brilliant shine to those down below. A purely magical scene that Wendell can't imagine anyone would ever grow tired of seeing. However, the best spot for them to stargaze from is higher up this snowy viewpoint.

When the king, followed by his beloved and trusted knight reaches the top, there's only two of the six who have arrived so far. The dark dwarf and a strawberry blonde sit shoulders touching on an upper branch in the barren tree. He can tell their hands are intertwined, but this isn't the first time they've gotten rather close. Recently, his childhood friend has been awfully curious about romance. Even implying she wanted to release her fears centered around the unforeseeable future. Perhaps she is prepared to embrace her joyful present, despite undergoing possible loss.

Saelufu will be eager to confess everything to me when she's ready.

"Hey, look who made it next!" The dwarf glances back at them with a wide smile. "I'm surprised you guys got here right behind us though it's easier to travel with a free ride by carriage."

"I'm shocked you arrived on time and didn't doze off to show up an hour late," Wendell reminds her of the previous tardiness, but a trip to the castle is a longer distance.

"I got an escort tonight to wake me, otherwise, volunteering more hours at the orphanage would've left me knocked out again." Saelufu points to her said escort who bashfully averts his gaze. "A fine gesture given I've accompanied him home from the schoolhouse, even though I completed my lessons. Still, I believe he had an ulterior motive to link hands with me."

Justus turns rosy at this causing the dwarf to smirk, and he retracts such hold from her's with folded arms.

"W-What are you saying?! I'm not the one who kept nudging hands like you were dropping a hint! Besides, I don't wanna wait around all night in the cold because you slept in like before."

The three fall quiet by their playful banter, Wendell sure it's obvious to others than just himself now. His suspicions might be answered though he decides not to speak on the subject.

"Oh, is this hour too late for you, Justus? Farmers have to start chores at sunrise so maybe we should meet a little earlier," Kana suggests, but he shakes his head.

"It's a small farm to manage and we don't hang out here for long. Actually, our jobs will be easier tomorrow since we have some extra helpers. My birth parents are on another break from adventuring and came to spend the weekend."

About one month ago, Justus and his mother moved into a new home in Pencent. They finally earned enough coins to leave the Valenta mansion and stand on their own two feet. Farmland is similar to the old village he hasn't entered since an infant, so Michelle thought it would be a perfect place for them to dwell.

"Your family must be getting along nicely. I hope you can make fun memories during their stay," Wendell responds.

"Thanks, if it wasn't for you and Saelufu tagging along back then, we might've never crossed paths. During their next visit, you all have to come over for dinner. Their voyage stories will keep you on the edge of your seats!"

His chipper mood speaks volumes of how strong their relationship has become, and Saelufu's tender expression while he does so reflects a young maiden in love.

Soon the others join them on the white covered hilltop as they joke and catch up under the moonlit sky. Regardless of how busy their schedules are, the six always create a window for an occasional midnight gathering.

"The icicle branches are always visibly pleasing, but this bitter air is a factor I could go without." Blanche rubs her chilled arms and glances at the hugged up couple beside her. "You both must be ecstatic with your current engagement. I look forward to a date when my wedding is redone in the proper setting."

The noble girl snuggles against Oliver's torso to obtain more warmth whose body is frozen solid. The king bites his lip to prevent an audible chuckle at the irony of such a comment.

"Did you guys pick a date yet?" Justus asks, Alphonse running fingers through his dark hair.

"Well, my dad has got another year to serve before his release, so we've decided to hold off the ceremony. My main priority needs to be raising my younger siblings until the old man regains custody to do so himself. Then the two of us can start our married life together."

Mr. Golding did steal from many wealthy homes, but his dungeon sentence was shortened returning the gold he hadn't yet spent. Wendell hopes he had a change of heart during this period and leaves his criminal lifestyle in the past.

"I might've jumped the gun proposing this early but I just couldn't wait for an answer." Alphonse's lips brushes against his given ring that's on the same hand as her promise bracelet.

"...Um, are your parents going to be there when you do wed?" Kana softly voices to Lucille, the very question on his mind.

"Nope, not my mother anyway! My father has accepted my decision and is getting to know my fiance. She, however, remains stubborn that I'm marrying some lumberjack from the wilderness."

Lucille's golden irises dim for just a second before her mouth curves upward once again.

"There is time for her to have a change of heart since we're not tying the knot right away. However, if she still doesn't want to attend then it's better not to force her. I'm marrying the man who I love wholeheartedly and all our friends will be there too. Moreover, my dear mother must let go of this judgemental flaw eventually. I am their only child, thus her single source for grandkids."

The redhead finishes with a playful hair flip as Alphonse hugs her tighter from behind. It's not blind optimism that calmed Lucille's worries about her mother's presence down the line. For a girl so bubbly, it's crazy how perceptive she can be.

"What an admirably strong spirit! If I just had that trait when dealing with my mother those youthful days," Oliver grumbles to which Blanche gives a comforting peck on the cheek.

Their conversation breaks when a lone star skyrockets through the atmosphere--or so he assumed. Several other dazzling balls of light follow as they stream across the dark expanse. A rare sight he hasn't watched in ages, and it's pure luck to happen at this exact moment.

"An actual meteor shower! It's so pretty," Blanche gushes, her amethyst eyes locked at the star-filled sky.

"I can't remember when was the last time I saw one of these..." Alphonse too sounds astonished by the event, and the dwarf glances down at his wife below.

"What are the odds to have gathered here on the perfect night? Suppose we've got a certain someone to applaud for that."

"I thought we could use a new scenery rather than always the castle balcony..." Kana's voice trails off with a small frown tugging at her lips. "Actually, I first came here after a long day of work when my family settled in Rainswood. I didn't want to go home to that hovel and I aimlessly wandered to this very spot."

The brunette drops backward on the fluffy snow, and her arm extends up toward the falling stars.

"Gazing at the sky, I realized no matter what changes happened in life, this beautiful night would forever remain the same. Contrary to my beliefs, the sky looks far brighter tonight where it's almost unrecognizable."

This mumbled confession can touch all their hearts, not a single soul who doesn't ordeal hardships. Still, God didn't create humans to live in solitude, and priceless connections are an immense impact for people to overcome them.

"It might sound cheesy but I think all of us together make a difference in how bright the stars appear."

Wendell lays beside his queen and the ash-blonde's opposite gloved hand connects with her fingers. The upside down heart formed between them resurfaces Kana's gentle smile that stole his own. The king hasn't the faintest desire to rush for that magic fountain already blessed with all he truly needs.

This reminds me of the wintery evening Kana and I first met and now she's my wife.

A quick glance at his pocket watch, they should be heading for home about now. Everyone else must have some idea of the late hour given how long conversation has lasted. Yet, nobody moves a muscle while enjoying the view with their significant other in peaceful silence.

Midnight marks another day and a new beginning in each one of our lives.

A/N Hello readers, you have officially reached the end of the story. This wasn't supposed to be close to a normal chapter length but things happened xD The last two updates are still important so please proceed.

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

322K 6.5K 59
EMMA RUBY FOREST. You know the perfect girl, with blonde hair, blue eyes, who is desired by almost every guy, also dating the future Alpha, yeah th...
19.7K 2.1K 45
Book Two of Lost in the Castle Trilogy (Book Three is on the WATTYS 2022 SHORTLIST) THE AMBY AWARDS 2022 WINNER (Best Series) Samara, separated from...
96.7K 1.4K 11
*Completed* *Unedited* *10 chapters available for read* [This is a spin-off of 'A Sacrifice To Remember' but can be read as a stand alone] **** When...
22.4K 3.7K 61
[The Wattys 2021 Shortlisted Finalist] One case, two detectives, three friends, and a thousand emotions. Sometimes nothing is a coincidence, but th...