Is It True Love?

By angeldawn09

At first glance, Wendell Chestna appears as a beautiful prince whose presence will enchant others while dashi... More

Introduction
Stickers/Comments
Character Profiles
Locations
Chapter 1: The Deal
Chapter 2: A Test Of Greed
Chapter 3: Creating Frederick
Chapter 4: At First Dance
Chapter 5: A Painful Reality
Chapter 6: New Friendship
Chapter 7: Time Of Blissful Days
Chapter 8: Love In The Air?
Chapter 9: Power To Protect
Chapter 10: Surprising Reunion
Chapter 11: Don't Give In!
Chapter 12: Managing The Double Life
Chapter 13: One Special Request
Chapter 14: Two Sides Of The Same Coin
Chapter 15: In Pursuit Of The Truth
Chapter 16: A Parents' Tender Gift
Chapter 17: Broken Vows
Chapter 18: True Beauty
Chapter 19: The Struggles With Love
Chapter 20: Complicated Feelings
Chapter 21: Runaway
Chapter 22: Family Matters
Chapter 23: What The Future Holds
Chapter 24: Until That Day
Chapter 25: Does Love Have A Price?
Chapter 26: Stealing Their Hearts
Chapter 27: Fight For Peace
Chapter 28: A Noble Sacrifice
Chapter 29: The Aftermath
Chapter 30: Wish Upon A Star
Chapter 31: Regret
Chapter 32: What Her Heart Values Most
Chapter 33: His One True Love
Chapter 35: Wedding Day
Epilogue
Q&A
Shoutouts And Ending Note

Chapter 34: Start Of A New Heir

23 3 46
By angeldawn09

Wendell

At dawn, the prince's feet kneel in front of a large grave surrounded by countless colorful flowers. More has definitely been added since he last came, and it is nice to see people still paying their respects months later. The years King Gus ruled brought much prosperity to Calestra even through hardships.

"Hello, Father. It seems like I haven't visited here in ages. Perhaps it's because of everything that has conspired these past few weeks. An example is the war with Khisenfire that ended for certain this time around. We recently received a letter from Queen Veronica--which wasn't forged--confirming this very truth. I was able to fulfill your dying wish though Henry did lose his life as a result..."

Knowing the real culprit, a pang of lingering guilt remains with this unfortunate outcome. Maybe things could have gone differently if he was just more on guard. Still, he won't take Henry's sacrifice for granted, planning to form an alliance between their kingdoms as his mother suggested.

"Now everyone can live without fear and Rainswood will be restored given all the damage they've undergone. Speaking of Rainswood, I'm currently engaged to a girl from there. I believe she would've easily won your favor, if you had the chance to meet her. It brings me so much joy that I'll soon be able to call Kana my wife," he continues, his initial frown being replaced by a soft smile.

Their wedding date is set in stone, yet it feels like a blissful dream. She forgave him of his previous mistakes and decided to accept the prince's hand. Although nervous about becoming a husband at such a young age, he's confident the two can tackle any obstacles with communication.

"I can share about her further on a future visit, but there is another important event which I have come to discuss. My long-awaited coordination ceremony takes place tomorrow. Then, mother will step down and I will be the new ruler of Calestra."

One rare experience did happen from that wicked alchemist's scheme. When crossing swords with Henry alongside Oliver a fire sparked inside him like never before. For the very first time, Wendell felt like he possessed the potential to stand as a decent king.

"I wanted you to know the once meek little boy who gave up so easily is far behind me. I thrive to follow your legacy as a righteous king whose good deeds can always be remembered. To accomplish this task, I must create my own unique path, but I promise to protect this country that will be entrusted in my care."

Wendell's eyes flutter open though immediately squinted, almost blinded by the powerful sunlight. It is shining quite brightly now compared to his arrival, which provides a distinct warmth despite the prince's disliking of summer heat. He believes these earnest words have reached his father, and saying goodbyes, the boy heads back home.

I don't need to aimlessly wander here distressed when tough problems arise. My heart is more confident than mere months ago, and I can face dilemmas head-on. Though in future years, I will still visit to inform him of the continual growth that I've made.

...

In the castle throne room, a family is presented to his mother with an apparent tremble visible with each step and sweat drops covering their foreheads. Uncommon for people of lower social ranking to randomly get invited to the castle, it makes sense that they would be nervous.

"T-To what do we owe this summonce, Queen Althelia?" Mr. Kensun bows as the two behind him quickly do the same.

"I am pleased you three were able to make it here this evening. I would've liked for us to have met sooner, but there was much business to take care of these past two weeks. Now, you boy." His mother's gaze moves toward the man's son whose body freezes up at her call.

"Y-Yes, Your Majesty."

"So you're the one who assisted Wendell during the attack of the Schneider army. Your heroism helped bring a close to this war and my son came back bearing no serious injuries. I give many thanks for what your noble act has done for Calestra."

A gentle smile spreads across the queen's face which seems to ease his anxiety a bit.

"It's an honor to receive such praise from you, Your Majesty."

"I didn't invite you here just to verbally express my gratitude but also to reward your efforts."

Althelia gestures to a servant who in turn hands over a small secure pouch. The weight alone apparently has Mrs. Kensun's eyes widen, and he is curious about what amount his mother gifted them. Even if initially upset, she did come to realize how great Oliver's support had been.

"That holds two hundred gold coins for your whole family," she informs, though his father once more humbly pays the queen honor.

"You're being far too generous! We can't possibly accept all this gold from you!"

"Your son aided mine to prevent another battle of devastation and bloodshed. Not only this but it's reached my ears that a good samaritan has been going around to stop crimes" --Oliver's scarlet eyes twinkles-- "from being committed while our knights hands were full. I refuse to settle with mere riches for his bravery but a second reward belonging solely to Oliver. A single wish you desire, within reasonable limits, will be granted right this very moment."

These words have his family more shocked than her previous generosity. The prince himself hadn't foreseen a special bonus on top of the heavy gold-filled pouch. Even his ex-rival appears at a loss on how not to waste this grand offer.

"Please forgive my silence. I'm just unsure what it is I want to request..."

"If I may, Mother, I have a suggestion that can be beneficial to us both?" Wendell voices and the queen gives a nod of approval.

The ash-blonde closes the gap between them standing a few feet away from the taller boy. He was going to bestow him this title, if Oliver had accepted it when receiving his crown. However, now is an excellent time to make his persuading case on how great of an asset he could become.

"I say, we allow Oliver the opportunity to join our royal guard."

The baffled gasps aren't a surprising reaction in the least, and one of their fellow knights clears his throat.

"H-Have you thought this through, Your Highness? To give him not only the title of a knight but an elite unit made up of the best fighters. He is still so young and several requirements must be fulfilled."

"I never said it would be handed to Oliver but he will have the chance to prove himself capable. And if years measure experience, do you think I'm unfit to take the throne come tomorrow? We are the same age," he reminds, and this silences the male from any further protest.

"I-well..." Oliver stammers, which his hesitance is understandable being a huge decision to make. However, a firm arm suddenly wraps around the dark-haired boy's shoulders. A deep frown is planted on Mrs. Kensun's face, and he can predict the flood of complaints probable to follow. Wendell expected his own mother would raise objections unlike this outcome, but maybe she is scared for her child to agree to such a dangerous job.

"You should reconsider, Your Highness. Oliver might've been a perfect decoy while you battled King Henry, but I know my son's true reckless nature. He is highly unqualified to be granted this important position," she advises with a sickeningly sweet smile having the prince's stomach turn. "I don't want you to bestow on him a title out of kindness that you'll later regret."

"Please Honey, don't twist his opinion. Oliver kept on working hard for months to grow both physically and mentally. He earned this prize so why can't you just be proud of our son?"

No matter the desperate plea, Mrs. Kensun appears unmoved by her husband's words--only increasing the prince's annoyance. They spoke about his mother once on Greendale Hill, and the boy made it clear what type of person she is towards him. Her sweet act had him fooled at the palace ball, though when mistreating Oliver, she is completely blind to it. Wendell's relationship with his mother is steadily improving; this woman's delusions tainted the parental bond with her offspring.

"As just pointed out, Oliver is quite familiar in the field with the patrols that he has conducted of his free violation. We've even partnered together a couple of times, and I've witnessed first-hand the impact he had made."

"T-That friend was you..." she hoarsely mumbles as the prince begins to pace.

"Oliver has shown fine skills by the little he trained at the academy, and he can be even stronger learning swordsmanship at the castle. As for mental determination, I believe your son possesses a spirit of willpower to keep trying when things get tough. That's why I would trust him with my very life. I'd commend those positive traits that are picked up from home, though by your current display, I say the credit belongs to Mr. Kensun alone."

Wendell's last icy words result in the disgraceful mother being rendered utterly speechless. He might've overstepped just now but couldn't bite his tongue with how vile she was acting. If Mrs. Kensun treats her son like this daily while commending the character of a boy she doesn't raise, then he can better understand the contempt Oliver previously held against him for so long.

"I will approve of your proposal," his mother declares, gaining the room's undivided attention. "It would be foolish to pass up a young man to join our ranks with this much potential. Strict qualifications must be met, however, for him to earn that title. Oliver will be required to take swordsmanship under a private trainer as well as additional academic lessons, despite what education you've completed at the schoolhouse. Pass these courses with flying colors and you'll become a knight of the Chestna army. Afterward, you can continue training in hopes of being promoted to the royal guard. Are these terms acceptable?"

Similar to their deal, Wendell finds her arrangement without faults though it's not his verdict that's important.

"Yes, that sounds fair considering Oliver is interested. I recommended you because I didn't want your swordplay talents to go to waste. Nonetheless, if there's something else preferred for your reward, you do have every right to reject this offer. Take more time to think it over before making a decision."

After all, he has no intention to push this job that's a major responsibility. Oliver chose to perform patrols on his own accord, but he could have different ideas for his adult profession. Although wars are quite rare for their kingdom, even knightly tasks remain a precarious duty to carry out.

"...On Greendale Hill, you gave some solid advice back then. It made me realize how immature I'd been behaving well as the amount of growth I still needed to one day stand tall. The first step is to ignore any and all insults which forever leave my mom's mouth."

Oliver's hard gaze pins at the mute woman behind him whose face turns much paler. These painful emotions he must've kept locked away and carried in his chest since a young boy. The prince can't imagine what deep scars her cruel treatment has inflicted, but at last, she will understand where harsh parenting leads.

"An awful childhood with an abusive father, you've done nothing but ridicule your only son. You were a tad softer though as I grew up and seemed more masculine your motherly role diminished. I guess you favored the prince given him and my old self had a lot in common..." he mumbles, his scarlet eyes darting at the ash-blonde yet lacking the original fury they once contained. "No matter the age, I often struggled to receive praise and feel loved, but now that's no longer of any concern to me. I aim to serve as an honorable warrior who will forever protect those weak and feeble. When the time comes I accomplish my goals, don't try and change your attitude. In truth, dad was the encouragement while I always brought you utter shame."

His confrontation produces tears that cloud the woman's dull irises with fingers running through her graying hair. The guilt doesn't appear to be insincere until one excuse followed by another exits this mother's lips. Mrs. Kensun's biggest priority should have been an honest apology, rather, she is worried about her poor image in front of the queen. Wendell glances toward the teen beside him but despite her obvious show, he comes across as at peace. Oliver then ignores her fake crying as he faces the prince with a genuine smile.

"You also said, someone would soon recognize my worth even if it wasn't her. Well, one of those people who has put faith in me when I was still weak is you. Therefore..." Oliver pauses as he leans forward, the standard action being so unusual of him. "I gratefully accept this opportunity, Your Highness."

The prince doesn't care about formalities though never liked the mocking remarks he typically delivers. However, this is a humble side resurfacing that vanished months after they met.

"I'm glad to hear it. I expect amazing things from you, Oliver."

Our short partnership rewarded me with a trusted ally and close friend for years to come.

💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌💌 💌

The soft chapel music doesn't help ease his anxiety as Wendell walks down the neverending aisle. Everyone is staring at the boy with him the center of attention on this momentous day. Although he tried to calm his nerves the numerous months beforehand, it still wasn't enough to prevent the small tremble in each step he takes. Forcing himself to look up, the prince spots his mother and sister who stands off to the side. The queen gives him a reassuring smile while his younger sibling waves wildly on her tiptoes. Such a warm sight soothes his racing heart as he meets their archbishop at the altar.

After a quite lengthy opening service is completed, his coronation proceeds to the next phase. Wendell places a hand over his heart and his blue eyes simultaneously fall shut to concentrate when reciting this oath. It has been quoted by each succeeding king since days of old, and a key factor to the ceremony rests upon his delivery.

"And now the prince will pledge his allegiance to Calestra," Theodore announces, him releasing a deep breath.

Go about this like I thoroughly practiced tons of times than I can hope to count. Talk clearly but slowly so I don't stutter and meditate these words on my very soul.

"...I pledge to uphold justice, showing no partiality regardless of sex, race, or class, and speak with honest lips. I pledge to prioritize what is good for the people not putting ahead any selfish desires. I pledge to save this great kingdom from whatever harm may come its way, and to help Calestra flourish to the best of my ability. I pledge to abide by God's laws walking in the light as past generations have done. These pledges I swear to follow henceforth until my dying breath," the prince boldly proclaims, silently praying to live up to the promises he has just sworn.

When the oath is finished, Wendell's eyes stay closed during the anointing of holy oil. Theodore says a blessing for his future reign while other clergies bring out all items for the crowning. Going through proper procedures, he first picks up the orb with its matching specter. Then last but not least remains the large crown worn by his deceased father for almost thirty years. The brilliant gold sparkles under the stained glass windows and it's covered in a variety of jewels. Once this item gets placed on the boy's head, his spirit is renewed as lingering doubts seem to fade away. Other men place the red mantle firmly at his shoulders as he faces the multitude with a confident gaze.

"I pronounce our twenty-fourth king of Calestra, Wendell Chestna!"

Theodore's declaration has applause fill the chapel, him failing to conceal the faint smile that emerges from it. From this day forward, he will be called the ruler of the whole kingdom at the mere age of seventeen years old. Compared to his earlier lifestyle things are going to alter drastically, but he can handle these adjustments with his family and friends backing.

When their cheering dies down, the crowd moves to the throne room where Wendell sits on the grand seat for his very first time. Guests by households pay honor to the newly crowned king and present many lavishing gifts. Commencing with distant relatives he hasn't seen since childhood, it then proceeds to every one of the noble families that were invited.

They are generous in their gift-giving and the boy's far from displeased with what he does obtain. Amazing as this experience is, a hint of loneliness surfaces deep inside him at the lack of familiar faces. Besides the Fletcher family, plus a few noble acquaintances, the majority of Wendell's friends couldn't attend. Not being high enough social status to even participate though it is his coronation celebration. He can call them all together tomorrow, but that won't hold the same spark as today.

Thereafter one special ride like none other awaits him for the climax of his ceremony. Castle musicians play their hearts out while the large carriage seating the king rolls off in town. Slowly going through each village, the peasants now get a chance to shout their praises. Cries of joy ring Wendell's ears from his people who have lined up alongside the streets with glee.

"All hail, King Wendell! Long may he reign!"

He was afraid some wouldn't favor a young ruler to take the throne who has only just reached adulthood to vindicate old principles. Yet, that doesn't appear to be an issue as practically the entire kingdom has revealed themselves to congratulate his succession. Wendell gracefully waves at the lively crowd sure to absorb every drop of this heartfelt event.

The sight gives me an unwavering motivation to achieve the goal I shared with my father and sustain this peaceful state always.

During his trip around Calestra, the king passes friends he manages to locate amongst the gathered townsfolk. Even if the two aren't able to speak, merely getting a quick glimpse of them is comforting. Wendell can imagine what funny stuff the dwarf would say, causing a muffled laugh to escape his lips. Although the short eye contact exchanged with his beloved is rather bittersweet. Rainswood is his final village to visit before the carriage turns back toward home.

...

By the quiet hour his coordination comes to an end, Wendell drags himself upstairs exhausted with servants following close behind. The ceremony has been completed error-free and at sunrise will be starting his changed schedule. Still, he refuses to stress about that as the king's main objective is to get some needed rest. Insisting that he's fine for the night, the ash-blonde dismisses those with him to do the same and with quick bows they take their leave.

Wendell raises an eyebrow at the wrapped item with an added note lying on the center of his desk. He curiously scans the paper as unmistakable beautiful handwriting stirs a tender sensation in his fluttering chest. A complete opposite to the sickening guilt he suffered previously when reading her letter.

Greetings, Your Majesty
I do wish the coordination ceremony was a splendid one. Nevertheless, busy events like today might have you overlook the fact that you've indeed lived to see adulthood. I secretly dropped off this tiny treat using your favorite dessert flavor. Blanche helped given I'm not experienced with cooking these detailed recipes, so double-crossing my fingers this came out okay. Enjoy every bite of it and happy birthday!

It's nice to learn his beloved and his ex-fiancee are getting along, considering how rocky their first meeting had gone. The ash-blonde takes a peek inside the wrapping, and the collabed pastry causes his eyes to light up. A small appetizing lemon tart induces a growl from his stomach at the sweet aroma alone. Kana undoubtedly picked the perfect recipe being the second time she has cooked for him now. He can confirm this present is the best he received all day, Wendell taking a seat to relish his late-night snack. Just one taste relieves fatigue, reminding the king yet again how lucky he is to have her.

Of course, it's delicious.

A/N Hello readers, this chapter is coming a bit late. I wasn't feeling the best for a while but now I'm back to writing. Sorry if this chapter is kinda crappy, but I'm still trying to get caught up falling behind schedule. The next update is the last chapter before the epilogue!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

22.4K 3.7K 61
[The Wattys 2021 Shortlisted Finalist] One case, two detectives, three friends, and a thousand emotions. Sometimes nothing is a coincidence, but th...
321K 6.5K 59
EMMA RUBY FOREST. You know the perfect girl, with blonde hair, blue eyes, who is desired by almost every guy, also dating the future Alpha, yeah th...
35.7K 2.6K 34
2023 December Book of the Month @CupidOnTour @WattpadSeries General Fiction Feature JUNE 2023 @HistoricalFiction 'Rise of Civilization' Reading List...
8.4K 288 44
Book I of 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓢𝓱𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔀 𝓢𝓮𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓼 After feeling invisible for so long she finally was seen by the one boy that was supposed to be off limits...