Is It True Love?

By angeldawn09

At first glance, Wendell Chestna appears as a beautiful prince whose presence will enchant others while dashi... More

Introduction
Stickers/Comments
Character Profiles
Locations
Chapter 1: The Deal
Chapter 2: A Test Of Greed
Chapter 3: Creating Frederick
Chapter 4: At First Dance
Chapter 5: A Painful Reality
Chapter 6: New Friendship
Chapter 7: Time Of Blissful Days
Chapter 8: Love In The Air?
Chapter 9: Power To Protect
Chapter 10: Surprising Reunion
Chapter 11: Don't Give In!
Chapter 12: Managing The Double Life
Chapter 13: One Special Request
Chapter 15: In Pursuit Of The Truth
Chapter 16: A Parents' Tender Gift
Chapter 17: Broken Vows
Chapter 18: True Beauty
Chapter 19: The Struggles With Love
Chapter 20: Complicated Feelings
Chapter 21: Runaway
Chapter 22: Family Matters
Chapter 23: What The Future Holds
Chapter 24: Until That Day
Chapter 25: Does Love Have A Price?
Chapter 26: Stealing Their Hearts
Chapter 27: Fight For Peace
Chapter 28: A Noble Sacrifice
Chapter 29: The Aftermath
Chapter 30: Wish Upon A Star
Chapter 31: Regret
Chapter 32: What Her Heart Values Most
Chapter 33: His One True Love
Chapter 34: Start Of A New Heir
Chapter 35: Wedding Day
Epilogue
Q&A
Shoutouts And Ending Note

Chapter 14: Two Sides Of The Same Coin

26 4 75
By angeldawn09

Wendell

It's a typical school day as the seven oldest kids take turns solving math problems on the board. Wendell gets called upfront next which allows him to stretch his numb legs, even if only for a minute. Picking a chalk, he examines the large numbers written and the answer is quite simple. It barely takes him any time to complete this with his fellow peers left astonished. Most of this the prince has already learned during lessons at home.

"Kana, I said it's your turn! Quit daydreaming and pay attention to the lesson." Ms. Grumphan folds her arms in annoyance as the brunette springs to her feet.

"Y-Yes, so sorry Ma'am!"

Wendell watches her scurry to the chalkboard and she has seemed a bit distracted today. Maybe work is tiring Kana out given her busy schedule, or a hectic home life with her father constantly absent. The boy makes a mental note to chat with his friend once school is over.

Soon the bell rings at last welcoming freedom for the weekend. Their teacher continues to lecture the youths as they hurriedly pack up to leave. After saying goodbyes to Saelufu, he waits until Kana exits the schoolhouse to address her.

"Hey, Kana. You headin straight home?"

"No, I have double jobs to do since it's Friday and all. Did Saelufu take off?"

"Yeah, I told her to go on ahead of me. Uh, is somethin bothered ya? You just were spacin out a lot in there."

"Oh, well..." However the brunette's voice trails off, her gaze dropping down to her torn bag. It's no longer a question of is the girl upset but rather how come? Many possibilities cross his mind but he won't pry if she isn't ready to talk.

"I can listen if ya need to vent. We're friends, aren't we?"

"Of course, that's why this shouldn't be so awkward to ask. I mean, it's nothing bad or anything. There's just a strange behavior from you I've been curious about for a while now..." Kana shuffles her feet as the present frown further deepens. Falling silent a moment, she lifts her head and the earlier doubts have all disappeared. Such an uncommon serious expression causes a beat of sweat to trickle down his face. "Frederick, do you-"

"You're hanging with me today, My friend!"

The two are rudely interrupted when a certain dark-haired boy pulls him away. Wendell is left speechless as the distance between them and Kana continues to grow. His self-proclaimed rival has a tight grip where no amount of squirming can break him free from.

"Practically every day he kicks around with you and that snarky dwarf. Well, now we have important business to see that cannot be postponed! Guess your little question for him will get discussed on Monday."

Oliver knew she was trying to ask me something and yet he still interfered.

This alone raises his irritation and he shoots the girl an apologetic look. Kana gives a lopsided smile along with a wave prior to heading her way toward home. Troubled as he may be, there's no choice but to resume their conversation three long days later.

What could've she wanted to inquire of me about? Perhaps a love confession! No, it's far too early for that. Besides, Kana would've preferred somewhere more private, and it hadn't appeared the topic was a lighthearted one. Then why...

"You're from Narrok, aren't you?" Oliver's random question snaps him out of thought from pondering on hers. It takes the prince a few seconds to register what he just said before slowly nodding.

"Yeah, that's right..."

"I'm a previous resident of Quincy but my family had to move. Unfortunately, my mom was set to open a boutique here with one of her old acquaintances. It has been years since I've last stepped foot there, though I have adjusted to Calestra by now. Did you ever encounter a noble beauty, Blanche Valenta? She's a childhood friend of mine that currently stays in Everlane. Narrok neighbors the capital, so I figured you might've crossed paths with her."

Admitting to just know her is an understatement, Wendell being engaged to the girl. Since the prince can't share this information his best option is to act like she's a complete stranger. There's no telling when they could get introduced and Blanche hasn't met Frederick.

"Can't say I reckon that name. I'm not buddies with many nobles my age back home."

"I see, then I'm sure you didn't. Blanche's charm isn't a factor someone can so easily forget. I only knew her because my dad worked their fields often," Oliver explains while releasing the loose hold around his neck.

"Uh, what important business didja bring me out here for exactly?" Wendell changes from idle chit-chat to the real question on his mind.

"Isn't it clear? I specifically told you during your visit that we would claim the royal throne together!" Oliver's loud declaration gains them a couple of odd looks, and the ash-blonde awkwardly grins at his usual obliviousness.

I never did agree to those terms and I for one have nothing to steal. Why doesn't he drag along one of his friends from the vineyard for these antics?

"So to answer your question we're going on patrol. Taking over a kingdom is no easy feat and it can't be done overnight. You granted the position as my right-hand man must help contribute."

"Wait, patrol?" he quizzically repeats the older nodding.

"I look around for people who are distressed and lend them a hand. This is done in Rainswood the most and places like the capital least. However, there are two clever brats in the marketplace even guards have had trouble catching. We will apprehend those kids ourselves winning over the hearts of the nobles!" Oliver gives a fist pump into the air, and his explanation couldn't leave him more baffled. He assumed that making actual efforts to steal this kingdom was nothing but mere boasts. Furthermore, the prince never expected such an honorable way of doing so.

I thought he would display his dominance by using fear tactics, thus attempting to make the people submissive to him. That or another along those lines but I didn't take Oliver to be this genuine.

"We've arrived," he announces, the boys reaching the vast bustling marketplace. Oliver marches in front as he is forced to tag behind him being dragged this far. "Today marks your first mission but there's no need to panic. It's only children we're dealing with so just follow my lead."

While they roam, Oliver starts to explain the situation in greater detail. Two children had stolen food bags twice and managed to successfully evade the knights' grasp. Based on the previous encounters, they will show up again any time now. He informs him of a detailed description on their appearances so both of them can keep watch.

"Think you'll be able to spot the little thieves amongst this crowd?"

"I can't say for certain but I should know it if I see them."

"I'm shocked that skilled knights' had these kids slip through their fingers on two separate occasions. Although security seems to be tighter they've slacked off as well. Perhaps some new recruits have joined the ranks," Oliver mumbles and he is observant to have noticed their lack of experience. Since the castle attack, all trained men spend most days preparing for the near future battle. Novices have been ordered to handle minor crimes and are still learning the ropes.

"Well, this gives us a chance to shine now so I won't complain. These brats' shameful acts remind me of the midnight burglar ordeal last month. You weren't here at the time but it was a man who snuck into nobles' homes and swiped their gold. Being a clever thief the knights had problems catching him, and he's currently facing a three-year dungeon sentence."

"I recall folks chattin about that guy. Must've stirred a whole lotta trouble to still be the talk of the town. Actually..."

The thief's name was familiar but I can't remember what it is...

"He even left a family of four behind in Aniex while he rots away in a dark cell. We'll set these kids straight so they aren't gonna wound up like that criminal. Make sure you keep your eyes peeled for them," he instructs, dropping their conversation to focus on patrol.

In the beginning, business goes on like usual with nobles enjoying this peaceful afternoon. The teens buy ripe fruit to munch on as they resume covering the area. However, their snack break is cut short when two kids creep out from the shadows. A girl snatches a bag full of food by a woman's feet on the ground, and she can hardly react when the other swipes her second.

"Someone please stop them! Those kids just stole my bags!"

"This is our golden opportunity! Make haste, Frederick!" Oliver tosses his half-eaten apple immediately on the pursuit, and Wendell throws their waste in the litter bin before following after.

The children seem to have quickly realized they're being chased. Both split up to take different routes causing the boys to come to a sharp halt. If they prioritize one the accomplice could escape which leaves a single option.

"I'll snag the boy! You try to catch that girl!" Oliver orders, making a left turn and the prince heads in the opposite direction.

Trying to maneuver past people is a difficult task while the thief knocks over all obstacles in her path. It doesn't help that she is quite a fast runner and an utter shame the struggle he's having to keep up with her. Luckily, Wendell thinks up a plan as he stays toward the right to control what turns she makes. Sure enough, the girl goes left and if Oliver has a mutual idea this will end perfectly.

If this works there won't be any roads for them to flee down, and we'll have them blocked on both sides.

Wendell reaches the corner seeing the ginger has reunited with her partner. The two kids stand dumbfounded by this outcome before giving them a hard glare. Both children appear rather young and must be around his sister's age. By the rags for clothing, they're most likely residents of Rainswood.

"Good job, Frederick. I'm shocked you were able to navigate the capital so smoothly." Oliver gives him praise with a satisfied grin, then moves his attention to the troublemakers hiding by the wall. "Give it up. You guys have nowhere else to run. Now, what are your names and where do you live?"

"...I'm David and this is my friend, Annie. We're both from Rainswood," The boy mumbles, and Oliver raises an eyebrow.

"If that's true, why go through all the trouble to travel here and steal? Wouldn't it be easier to have just done so at Opal Forten's marketplace?"

"Because who knows how much taking from those families would cost them! They might be standard living but it could still cause hardships if we stole what they bought. It's not like that with these filthy rich nobles though. Even if we swipe a few bags, they can just replace them. We're not old enough to work so that's why..." David's voice trails off, and the girl's scrawny arm reaches to console him.

Just hearing his reasoning alone has him believe they aren't bad kids at heart. Sure the two are stealing but they came all the way out from Rainswood to the capital. This is a farther trip when on foot, including the long walk back home. Both of them refuse to rob from people whose position isn't much higher on the social scale. Instead, they choose to target wealthy nobles the kids feel have plenty.

"I'm sure ya both were aware of the risks traveling here, though that didn't scare y'all into taking the simpler route. I...won't pretend to understand how great your families must be strugglin right now. Still, theft is a sin so we'll have to do the moral thing and return these bags to the owner," The prince explains, kneeling to their level.

"Okay..." They hoarsely whisper in unison probably expecting this decision. His heart aches for both families who are in such a terrible situation their children were compelled to commit a crime to put food on the table. His mother has continued to give aid to those in need, but there remains a small percentage she hasn't yet assisted.

"Y-You won't report us, will you? Both of our parents think kind neighbors gave us this food, so they'll be furious if they find out the truth," Annie pleads, him giving her head a gentle pat. The prince is about to reassure the trembling kids they have no intention of ratting them out. However before he can answer, his rival steps forward with crossed arms.

"Don't think we'll buy into that innocent facade. You might be children but are plenty old enough to know what you're doing is wrong." Oliver begins to pace, his unwavering scarlet gaze causes the thieves eyes to water. "Like Frederick said, I can't pretend to understand your circumstances. Still, you shouldn't expect blessings to knock at your door after breaking the law, no matter how legitimate the motive. Starting a life of crime now can lead you down a dead-end road in your adult years. Therefore, swear to us you guys won't ever pull this stunt again, and we'll keep today's incident--as well as the previous to ourselves."

The children fall silent to his lecture, besides soft hiccuped breaths. There isn't an option to deny his offer, so he must've done this to see how sincerely they will respond. David faces the black-haired teen with a quivering lip, unlike the phony remorse he wore moments ago.

"S-Sorry, we promise not to steal anywhere from here on out... Going for the nobles was a pathetic excuse to make us feel like what we were doing wasn't that bad. Annie and I will try searching for jobs kids our age can handle!"

"I do patrol in other areas so best keep your promise. You two can head on home now and we'll take these to the noble lady ourselves," Oliver informs with a smile, though as they walk away an idea pops in mind.

"Wait, don't go straight home! Detour to Opal Forten's marketplace and I'll be there soon. You'll see why in a bit."

The kids shoot back confused looks but still nod before running off out of sight. He can sense Oliver's strong gaze upon him when strolling back up the main road. Regardless, Wendell cannot leave them hungry and he is carrying a reasonable gold amount to do something about it.

"You plan on buying their groceries, aren't you?"

"Well, I feel bad for their folks so I wanna pitch in."

"But if you reward them for doing wrong, they'll never learn their lesson!" Oliver argues, but he slowly shakes his head.

"I think your little speech inspired them more than you realize. Seemed pretty honest when David gave his word, and everyone has made mistakes in their lives. Still, I respect ya don't agree with me but I'm gonna help them out."

"You're a stubborn one... Fine, we'll split the cost then. Highly doubt you have the coins to be paying for two households."

Wendell can't tell if this is a change of heart or just pitching in for his sake. Nevertheless, the reasoning doesn't really matter as long as both families are fed. This patrol has revealed a unique side to the self-proclaimed rival he has never witnessed before. The boys once again converse in small talk as they exit the capital toward Opal Forten.

💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌

At the Royal Warriors Association students eagerly babble while waiting for class to begin. Today is a very crucial lesson as it won't be typical training, but instead, proof of their skills. These last two days of the month will be spent evaluating who is qualified to proceed to the next level. In total there are three steps to completing the swordsmanship class; beginner, intermediate, and advanced courses. This one only teaches minimum swordplay for three short weeks. If anyone fails they must retake the whole course before retesting.

The prince exhales deeply to calm his rising nerves which spiked since walking in. This being an amateur test shouldn't be that difficult, but he's well aware of the abilities their opponent possesses. Nonetheless, bombing this will make an additional setback he can't afford to have. Wendell uses this fact to motivate himself as Gardalf steps into the room.

"Good afternoon, young warriors. I hope everyone is prepared as we'll be starting the beginner's course test and finishing up tomorrow. We already discussed yesterday that I'll be pairing you into teams to confront your opponent. That person won't be me but an ex-soldier of the royal army, Matthew Kergon."

On the cue of hearing his name, a bulky tan-skinned man enters causing the class to go quiet. The old male was a great warrior according to his father and served their family for many years. Even if he will hold back for the test this still isn't someone to take lightly.

"I'm looking forward to fighting with you lads again. Don't let my age fool you as I do have some fight left in me."

"I'll be observing from the sidelines to decide who moves on to the intermediate class and those not quite ready. Now, let's get down to business and have you all paired up!" Gardalf claps his hands, and students' eyes dart around curious about who they'll be partnered alongside.

The groups get matched in the order they're to fight, and unlike before he isn't starting at least. Wendell patiently listens for his name to be called, not too concerned over which partner he'll receive. As long as he doesn't get stuck with a certain reckless individual they should do just fine together.

"For the fourth team will be Oliver and..." Gardulf searches through faces and the ash-blonde quickly drops his head.

Please not me. Please not me.

"Prince Wendell can be your partner,"
Gardulf declares, and he deeply sighs at the unfortunate result. The other boy is obviously against this verdict as well jumping to a stand.

"No, I refuse to be stuck with this lousy prince! I request a different partner!"

"Request denied. I'm aware the two of you don't get along great, and that's why this is so essential. Becoming a fine swordsman is more than just mastering the blade. Teamwork plays a huge factor when faced with life or death. Today will show not just what you've grasped physically but also mentally this past month. Moving on, group five is..."

Gardalf continues with the pairings and it's clear he has no interest in swapping them. In another sense, however, Wendell can comprehend the significance of this second test.

Any child can swing a weapon but only a mature adult can properly wield it.

His late father's words resonate in his chest calming his original frustration.
Regardless of how Oliver behaves, he'll give it his all, and hopefully pass both tests. He turns his attention towards the front as the first pairing is called up to face off.

Out of the three pairs that have gone, a single team passes with the later two failing miserably. Wendell and Oliver are next in line being the second to last battle before class ends. The rivals take their place in the front of the room, and Matthew gives him a kind smile.

"How much you've grown, Prince Wendell! I used to spar with your late father all the time back in our prime. It's an honor to fight against you today."

"No, the honor is mine. He spoke very well of your victories."

"Can't we get started already? I want to finish this as soon as humanly possible." Oliver readies his practice blade and on the captain's signal, they begin.

Participation rather than watching from the sidelines is surely a challenge. Wendell struggles to block the nonstop incoming blows the ex-soldier delivers. His partner doesn't seem to be holding up much better as he is thrown off balance repeatedly. Tired of the defensive, they dash for Matthew at once to counter him--their wooden swords clashing against each other. Creating space, Oliver shoots an accusing glare the prince knows far too well.

"You just messed up my attack! Perhaps you should stand aside and let me handle this on my own!"

"Don't be ridiculous! You can't possibly defeat him by yourself! Ah!" Wendell doesn't have the chance to defend himself as he and Oliver are sent tumbling backward. The ex-soldier catches them while off guard, and if something doesn't change, they're going to inevitably lose. He tries his best to brainstorm a plan they can execute to gain an upper hand.

"...I have an idea that may just turn this around," The prince whispers, not wanting to be overheard, but he simply jerks his head away.

"I'd rather drop dead than lower my pride and team with the likes of you."

Contrary to our partnership yesterday, he is still insufferable to deal with minus my disguise.

"Oliver, if you can't even cooperate to pass this beginner's test, how do you ever plan to steal the kingdom from me?" Wendell taunts, and this seems to strike a nerve. The boy's back remains toward him, running fingers through his damp hair.

"What is this brilliant scheme then?"

As asked he quickly explains to him, Matthew inching closer by the second. It is a long shot but they have limited options with their stamina depleting. Eager to hear his consent, Oliver suddenly charges forward on his own.

"That sounds stupid! I prefer to do things my way!"

"Oliver, wait!"

However, it's no time to raise objections with him already engaging in combat. Oliver lasts mere seconds before he is launched forward, not moving a muscle. Though by the looks of it from his angle, he collapsed a tad early to have been struck.

He's going along with it after all...

Wendell doesn't waste a breath speeding at Matthew to attack. Naturally, he blocks this as they continue to clash with one another. At that precise moment, Matthew's back turns on his fallen teammate and he gives the signal.

"Oliver, now!" The prince orders him to reclaim his training blade. One swift slash from behind happens so fast Matthew fails to dodge. This lands a decent hit on their opponent that doesn't go unnoticed by the captain.

"Excellent job you two! Playing possum was an awesome technique. I had my doubts at the beginning, but both of you deserve to pass after such a comeback."

"Yes, we passed and my move did the final strike!" Oliver exclaims, and the ash-blonde can't help but smile to himself. Matthew is quick to congratulate the boys as the last team is called up to perform. Despite the challenge, his plan succeeded, and now he's a step closer to becoming a king his father would be proud of.

A/N Hello readers, hope you enjoyed this update and apologies for the length. I wanted to show more of Wendell and Oliver's complicated relationship. It will be a different POV next update!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

283K 12K 51
Luana Aubretia is the princess of Auvrovaria, the most powerful empire in the world. Daughter of Emperor Arthur and the deceased Empress Isadora who...
280K 11.4K 83
🥇 The Amby Awards 2023, Romance 🥇 The GrandLibrary Awards, 2022, Romance 🥇 The Writer's Recognition Awards, 2021, Romance 🥇 The BooksAndBeyond 20...
248K 11.6K 35
[2021 WATTYS SHORTLIST] A year ago, Natasha packed her bags and hopped on the first train out of her hometown in Hampshire, England, leaving behind a...
57.5K 4.8K 45
THE AMBY AWARDS 2022 WINNER (Best Series) Book One (Book Three of the trilogy is on the WATTYS 2022 SHORTLIST) Wattpad featured story. The Adept Pen...