Is It True Love?

By angeldawn09

At first glance, Wendell Chestna appears as a beautiful prince whose presence will enchant others while dashi... More

Introduction
Stickers/Comments
Character Profiles
Locations
Chapter 1: The Deal
Chapter 2: A Test Of Greed
Chapter 3: Creating Frederick
Chapter 4: At First Dance
Chapter 5: A Painful Reality
Chapter 6: New Friendship
Chapter 7: Time Of Blissful Days
Chapter 9: Power To Protect
Chapter 10: Surprising Reunion
Chapter 11: Don't Give In!
Chapter 12: Managing The Double Life
Chapter 13: One Special Request
Chapter 14: Two Sides Of The Same Coin
Chapter 15: In Pursuit Of The Truth
Chapter 16: A Parents' Tender Gift
Chapter 17: Broken Vows
Chapter 18: True Beauty
Chapter 19: The Struggles With Love
Chapter 20: Complicated Feelings
Chapter 21: Runaway
Chapter 22: Family Matters
Chapter 23: What The Future Holds
Chapter 24: Until That Day
Chapter 25: Does Love Have A Price?
Chapter 26: Stealing Their Hearts
Chapter 27: Fight For Peace
Chapter 28: A Noble Sacrifice
Chapter 29: The Aftermath
Chapter 30: Wish Upon A Star
Chapter 31: Regret
Chapter 32: What Her Heart Values Most
Chapter 33: His One True Love
Chapter 34: Start Of A New Heir
Chapter 35: Wedding Day
Epilogue
Q&A
Shoutouts And Ending Note

Chapter 8: Love In The Air?

44 6 56
By angeldawn09

Saelufu

The dwarf's sluggish body enters the schoolhouse laying her head on the hard wooden desk. Rather tired--similar to many upon the start of the week, even though she has a much shorter walk. However, her two friends converse and prove to be wide awake during this dull hour. If Kana is hitting it off with 'Frederick' so soon he should have his answer in no time flat.

Saelufu almost dozes off when a familiar figure zaps her sleepiness in an instant. Studying their appearance, it is the same boy whose reactions were a source of amusement at the palace ball. The important question that comes to mind is what purpose could he have there?

"Hey, Justus!" To her surprise, none other than the brunette is waving him over. He notices making a detour from the teacher's desk towards the back. "I'm Kana, you're Blanche's younger cousin, right? I didn't know you'd be switching to our school."

"Yeah, I remember you. This wasn't exactly planned but...I couldn't adjust to those uppity people at the schoolhouse in Everlane. So I asked to be transferred since there was room to take one more."

"I'm shocked someone wants to attend this schoolhouse by choice. Ms. Grumphan is just like her name sounds, constantly grumpy, though isn't too bad if you manage to stay on her good side. Oh, I should introduce you to my friends here. This is Frederick and he recently joined us as well."

Their new student glances at the country-dressed prince seated diagonally from her. Wendell stiffens up sweating bullets despite the cool morning that will only draw attention to himself. Before she can intervene he nervously gives the boy a small tip of his hat.

"J-Justus was it? A pleasure to meet ya! I'm not sure I'd call this an upgrade, but I hope we can all get along."

"Likewise," he replies, and after a minute Wendell's present anxiety seems to fade. From what had been shared the other day she can understand why he was so nervous. Justus managed to somehow read his true feelings for Kana in a heartbeat, and with such a keen eye the boy might see right through the prince's disguise.

Still doesn't seem like he's noticed anything amiss. Hopefully, for his sake, it'll stay that way.

Kana doesn't get the chance to introduce her when Justus's eyes instantly grow wide. His expression proves he without a doubt remembers the dwarf's face from that entertaining night. Neither of them could have predicted to meet again quite like this.

"I-It's you! You're the girl who kept pestering me at the castle ball!"

"I see your memory is sharp. I suppose most wouldn't forget a beautiful stranger that swept them off their feet," she replies, being able to recall every last detail of their small interaction.

The night was nearly at its end while Saelufu had finished catching up with more friends. As she departed from yet another table the dwarf's usual rounds were now completed. There was nobody left for her to talk to and Wendell was busy dancing with his new fiancee. Saelufu would go out there herself but was never a huge fan of the waltz. Plus with the song almost over it was easier to hold off until the following one began.

With that in mind, Saelufu went to stand by the wall and wait it out. It just so happens she was near a boy which appeared to be around the same age. A bit on the shorter side for height dressed in a green and white formal vest and tie. Fluffy strawberry blonde hair, pale skin, and lilac eyes glued down to the marble floor. His crossed arms gave the impression he probably doesn't want to be there. Still, that wasn't going to shy her away from starting a conversation.

"The ball is laid out more than usual, doncha think? That large buffet could provide the entire capital with a packed take-home plate. Maybe they went overboard because there haven't been opportunities to throw formal gatherings in a while."

"Wouldn't know. It's my first ball in this kingdom."

"Ah, so you're new around here then. What village did you move into?"

"Everlane."

"Your family must be on the wealthy side. I hail from the place most commoners choose to settle. I grew up in Opal Forten but I wouldn't change it for the world. I'm sure you'll enjoy life here in Calestra."

"Yeah."

'I guess he's not much of a talker' she thought, as her attempts at friendly chitchat were going nowhere.

Suddenly the previous music had stopped changing to an upbeat tune. The final song of the night started to play and it couldn't be a nicer choice. The dwarf clapped her hands in excitement and spun toward the boy with a large grin.

"They were wise to save the best for last! The hopping quickstep will forever hold as one of my favorite pieces. Hey, do you wanna dance with me?"

"I-Isn't the guy supposed to offer the girl to dance?! Besides, who asks someone they just met?" he sputtered, and she finally stirred him to give a decent response.

"Oh, I didn't realize there was some protocol to follow. I always make sure to dance at least once when attending a palace ball. What's the point of even getting dolled up to stay huddled in a corner all night long?"

"That's..."

"Come on, we'll miss the whole song at this rate." Saelufu left no window for him to refuse as she pulled him amongst the crowd of people.

"You're better off finding another person. I...rarely participate in these events so I'm not a great dancer..."

"What difference does it make? According to superstition, my cursed misfortune would rub off on you regardless. More than that it's about having fun whether you possess good skills or terrible." She intertwined her hands with him as he let out a heavy sigh of defeat and got in position.

The footwork was face-paced as Saelufu hopped happily along to the beat. Unlike her dance partner who remained rather tense, the boy's eyes fixated on his feet. He stumbled but luckily managed to catch himself before falling forward.

"A small tip your kicks should be quick and light compared to slow and stiff. Also, don't try so hard to keep up with everybody else. Go at your own speed even if you're a little behind the music."

"Alright..."

The boy put her advice to good use as his movements became less forceful. Both next took a turn to perform a short solo step which he did fairly well. When circling each other the final time their eyes locked for just a moment. Once the routine was finished, Saelufu gave an elegant bow accompanied by a cheeky smile.

"Not half bad. It's a relief you didn't fall to cause us a scene. Still, you stumbled a couple of times and your legwork was pretty sloppy."

"And just who dragged me out here?! I said you could've picked a different partner!"

"But you have something to remember about your first ball, and I know you didn't completely hate it. Despite your objections, I saw you smiling a bit," she added, and his initial anger had vanished. Instead, the boy's cheeks flushed scarlet though he didn't get to respond. A middle-aged woman on the opposite side of the room was searching for him.

"Justus, we're about to leave!"

"Looks like your folks are calling you, so I better go catch up with my own now. Well, thanks for the dance, Justus." With that, Saelufu spun around and headed back to her family's table. Out of all the random dance partners she chose he had to be the most intriguing yet.

"You forced me to dance and then took off failing to even give your name," Justus grumbles, this part news to her.

"Oh, I never told you that? It must've completely slipped my mind." The dwarf tilts her head before offering out a hand. "Well, I'll properly introduce myself now. I'm Saelufu Evans, welcome to Opal Forten."

"...Better late than never I guess." He returns her gesture as the now acquaintances shake.

"Justus, correct? I'd appreciate it if you take your seat so I can proceed with the lesson. You're to sit at the last available chair beside Oliver in front of my desk."

"O-Okay." The boy quickly goes to his assigned seat as Ms. Grumphan begins her lecture. This Monday surprise has fully taken away her earlier drowsiness. She can't help but wonder how interesting classes will be now that he has joined.

💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌 💌

One reason she has trouble visiting the orphanage is because of the unintentional guilt trip which happens. The dwarf is surrounded by kids of different ages who wear deep frowns with light whining. They often get mopey like this no matter the countless fun games that were played all afternoon.

"I really do have to leave now, guys. You know I'll be back next week."

"Yeah, we understand... In the meantime, I'm gonna think up a more awesome spot for hide and seek. You'll never find me!" A small girl declares, bringing a smile to her face.

"Oh, I'm looking forward to it."

"Sure you'd rather not wait out the storm, Dear? It's raining cats and dogs out there," A female worker suggests, as she grabs her purple umbrella.

"That little shower doesn't bother me. Plus there are chores I need to finish before my parents get home. See you all next week!" The dwarf takes off before they succeed in detaining her even longer. She can still hear their loud farewells while the door gradually comes to a close. Then putting up the flimsy object, Saelufu speeds along the dark stormy path.

Opal Forten is somewhere for newcomers to easily get lost considering the large size. Smooth wide roads are covered in puddles The lush green grass is glistening with water droplets, the small white houses getting rained on just the same. Regardless of the current cold, her home village is a nice area being a sweet spot to settle down if people can't afford the capital or Everlane.

The girl doesn't admire the gloomy view long when spotting another shadow that approaches around the corner. She can't imagine who else is crazy enough to be wandering outside as thunder booms and strikes fill the skies. Though her curious thoughts are answered when making eye contact with the mysterious hooded figure.

"Justus, what are you doing out here?!"

"I could say the same to you! I just finished up work at the vineyard and was on my way back to Everlane!"

Both need to shout despite being a few feet apart given the harsh winds. The storm might be far worse now but it was never pleasant sprinkling either. She spent most time indoors but he has been working for possibly hours.

"You were tending fruits in this mess?!... Why don't you come on over to my place?! Can let the storm pass there!"

"That isn't necessary! It's only rain!"

Honestly, does he always need to act so darn stubborn? She is just trying to be a good neighbor yet it feels like deja vu from the ball all over again. Comparable to then, she doesn't plan on backing down without a persuasive argument.

"Think of the distance you still have to travel! As a human you will catch your death out here, and my house is literally right down the road!"

"...Fine, lead the way!" he begrudgingly agrees, as she grins in satisfaction.

They sprint to her house breathless upon running through the front door. Even with no fire going it's far more comfortable than the chilling downpour. Saelufu closes up the umbrella and faces her guest with a welcoming smile.

"I present to you my cozy little home... Hey, I'm aware this isn't special since you're living in some vast mansion, but we've made a lotta precious memories here," The dwarf informs, jerking her head at his continuous silence.

"Ah, it's not like that. The interior reminds me a bit of my old house..."

"Huh?"

According to Wendell, they were living in the capital back home, so how could such a simple place raise nostalgia? Though before she can ask what he meant a soft sneeze grabs her attention. The soaked culprit shivering is noticeable now, and he would've fallen ill sticking it through this terrible weather.

"Catching a case of the sniffles already? After insisting the near flood is only a little rain," she teases, and Justus's cheeks tint slightly averting his gaze.

"I-I just wanted to hurry home. There's other stuff I still need to tackle this evening."

"Similar to my chores, I'm sure those things can be put off until the skies clear. Why don't you remove that drenched cloak and have a seat? I'll go fetch a beverage to warm you right up."

Saelufu disappears in the kitchen planning to make her personal favorite for stormy nights. She uses their wood heat stove to raise the liquid's temperature and then transfers it all into a clean cup. Afterward, heading back toward the living room where he followed her instructions sitting on the couch.

"Sorry for the wait. I hope you like hot milk."

"Thank you..." He accepts the drink and her sight adjusting now realizes their lack of visibility.

"Jeez, it's dark because of the rain. I better get those candles lit. Had you intended to prepare your deathbed doing a job today? The train isn't even running and it's been pouring hard since this morning. Besides, I know you're related to the Valenta family which has a high standing in Quincy. What's the point of working in the first place?" The dwarf bombards him with questions while fumbling with the matchbox.

"You're mistaken about that last part. The ones with the money are my cousin and her parents. My mother and I moved in temporarily while searching for a cheaper place... When my dad died she had to start working since he was the breadwinner. Not to mention his medical treatments cost us a lot of piled debt we need to pay off foremost. I often try contributing and I just didn't wanna miss my coins today. Thought I could get home before the storm got even worse."

Saelufu quietly listens as he explains the reasoning for his careless actions. A sour pit forms in her stomach at the comment of his late father. It seems the prince isn't the only one who lost a parent recently.

"I'm sorry to hear that. Man, you and Kana are such diligent workers. Good motivation for me to give it my all too."

"And why were you caught in this storm while giving a lecture?" Justus takes a sip of his drink and she should also share more about herself.

"Okay, trivia time! What race am I?"

"What does that have to do with anything?... You're a dwarf, aren't you? I didn't notice at the ball given hair was covering your pointy ears and you were wearing high heels," he explains, and she nods at his correct answer.

"That's right, I am a dwarf. Those painful slippers did boost my height quite a lot. You know, I'm considered fairly tall for a girl among my people. I was adopted nine years ago from the Brighter Days home by a caring human couple. Now with their four-year-old son, we all live happily together."

"You were an orphan?"

To the dwarf's surprise, that seems to interest him more than confirming her race.

"Yeah, though it's unusual for humans to take in dwarves. Especially frowned upon with a dark dwarf like myself, but I rather not get into those issues right now. Anyways, I was running back after my usual visit to the orphanage. I stay so close it's easy to see them whenever I please."

"I see..." Justus suddenly goes quiet as his cold hands clutch the cup tightly. His mood changed in the snap of a finger throwing her off a bit. "...Do you ever wonder why they gave you away?"

"What was that?"

Justus's voice is a hardly audible whisper and his gaze matches the hard expression when they met. Saelufu has no clue what she said to cause this abrupt change of attitude. Perhaps family matters are a delicate subject for him? Although he did confide in her about his father's passing.

"Nevermind. Forget it," he grumbles, dismissing the subject just that fast as he chugs the rest of his milk.

Normally, I hate when people up and drop the discussion but for some reason feel like I shouldn't push this one...

An awkward pause has fallen between them after the conversation was going so well. By the sound of it, that dreadful shower isn't ending anytime soon. She refuses to keep sitting like this attempting a lighter topic.

"Say how was life in Quincy? I haven't taken any trips outside the kingdom."

"Many years I dwelled in a village called Kali Springs. It reminds me so much of Opal Forten..." he begins, and with all the table candles lit she snags a seat near him on the couch.

The teens talk and warm up to each other as minutes tick away. Saelufu doesn't realize how late it truly has gotten until hearing footsteps outside. Now recalling what she came home early to finish and bows the moment they walk through the door.

"I'm sorry my chores aren't done! I honestly lost track of time."

"We have a visitor?" Her mother glances at the boy who immediately jumps on his feet.

"H-Hello, I'm Justus O'Reilly!"

Despite her mother seeming like she might dish a firm lecture, her father's completion has drained deathly pale. He frowns at the two then looks at the candles soft glow and back toward them yet again. Slowly his head shakes as if in denial about something and is quite distressed.

"This was your actual motive for not joining us, right? So you both could have a romantic little date in our very own home! I knew you were getting to that age but...no you're a dwarf." An accusing finger points at the shorter girl as if this isn't common knowledge. "That means sixteen for you is still practically a child! Besides, I couldn't bear it..."

Whatever thought process going through the old man's mind is completely off. The first day she brings home a male friend other than Wendell and this is his reaction. Still, it's quite laughable making the dwarf mischievous side want to play along. Her lovely looping arms with the boy which has his cheeks flame bright red.

"Yes Dad, and you've completely ruined the mood!"

"Y-You, my baby... It's too early for marriage!" Her father grips at his chest letting out a loud sob, but it never was difficult to move the old man to tears.

"Why are you complicating things even more?!" Justus snaps and turns to her parents with a flustered look.

"Um, it's really not what you think. I was just waiting for the rain to...stop?"

Shockingly the thunderstorm appears to have passed by as a dim evening light shines through the window. When did the heavy shower even end and how could they not have noticed? She had been so absorbed in the chit-chat with her guest that outer noises fell on deaf ears.

Her mom doesn't look too convinced by her obvious act. She is always the more level-headed parent so there was no fooling the both of them. Instead, the woman sighs, shushing her husband still wallowing on the floor.

"Calm down or you're going to wake up, Kybele. I'm sure what this young male told us is the truth. Saelufu, don't tease your father because his heart is fragile when it comes to you. Now you can scramble to get your chores finished after supper."

"Okay Mom, I'll set the table."

"I should head home before my mother starts to worry. Thanks for inviting me." Justus grabs his damp cloak while slipping on his shoes, and she is a tad disappointed he can't hang for dinner.

"No problem. I'll see you at school tomorrow!" she shouts, next repeatedly apologizing to her shaken-up dad still sniffling. His visit indeed made for an exciting evening though a weird scenario crosses her mind. However, she shakes such an awful idea away with a bitter smile.

Even if I was ready for romance it would never be with a human. That's a sworn promise I made to myself I refuse to break.

A/N Hope you enjoyed this chapter and any thoughts on the reason for Saelufu's promise? I'm very grateful for all your votes, comments, and feedback!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

138K 7.9K 74
Supernatural creatures are real. They are a part of the world now, instead of hiding in the shadows. They want to belong. Will they? When Davyna's mo...
8.4K 288 44
Book I of 𝓣𝓱𝓮 𝓢𝓱𝓪𝓭𝓸𝔀 𝓢𝓮𝓻𝓲𝓮𝓼 After feeling invisible for so long she finally was seen by the one boy that was supposed to be off limits...
379K 20K 71
~Alpha Awards 2023 Winner~ Wattpad official Werewolf page Visena Sage knows two things for sure. Her name, and that she's part Faery. After waking...
50.3K 1.9K 47
✅ Complete ✅ When Campbell Kramer accepted a job offer in Manhattan, she never could've imagined what the city had in store for her. Namely, two hand...