calling up rebellion [brance]

By PINBALLY

Despite knowing better, Bruce couldn't look away. His eyes burned looking at him, fascination and wonder cove... More

! READ !
chapter one: moonlit thoughts
chapter two: baseball troubles
chapter three: teddy keychain
chapter five: cigarettes and guitars
chapter six: the air of autumn
chapter seven: roadside curb
chapter eight: distracted minds
chapter nine: cycle through the puddles
chapter ten: the bedroom window and its problems
chapter eleven: tickle monster
chapter twelve: don't forget to tie your shoe laces
chapter thirteen: he wasnt broken, he never was
chapter fourteen: grape soda
chapter fifteen: freedom on cloud 9 (very short!)

chapter four: anywhere you'd like

1.5K 39 87
By PINBALLY

THE BASEBALL GAME was a success, fortunately. But bruce hadn't seen a sight of Vance, not a glimpse of those matted blond curls standing in the crowd cheering him on as he hit the ball and managed to get a home run.

He was slightly disappointed, he knew it wasn't likely. Vance showing up at a baseball game and cheering somebody on? Never heard of. But it was saddening to see his promise.. no not promise. He didn't promise it.

He did hope, before the game that Vance might show up. Just for a second, but it's Vance. He lies, he cheats, he doesn't care. Bruce secretly wished he did.

Dropping his bat to lean against the metal bench, he pulled his helmet off his head. Placing it besides him before resting his tingling arm atop. Scanning through the exiting crowds one last time in hopes of spotting the lonesome boy, but to no luck.

Bruce should've expected it really, Vance Hopper, standing him up? It was very predictable. Bruce sighed, he couldn't do anything now. He'd atleast won the game, just like Ben had said. Yeah, atleast Ben was here.

"Told ya!" Benjamin stood infront of the sulking Bruce, a bright smile plastered on his lips as a glisten of pride shaped his eye.

"Yeah, I guess you did." Bruce chuckled, leaning against the brick wall behind them and looking up at Benjamin. His brown hair was a mess, his cheeks red and sweat was dripping from his face. He was out of breathe, huffing and puffing as if to suck in as much air as he could.

Bruce's parents didn't turn up this time, they told him that he'd disappointed them, let them down. Bruce never understood why his parents never let him be enough, never let him stand up and be the young boy they want him to be. Instead they kick him, punch him, do everything to keep him to the ground. Sometimes it felt like no pain at all, but sometimes it felt like the most torturous thing he'd experience. There is nothing worse than parents who will never see you for your worth.

"Honestly mate, you're the best batter I've ever witnessed!" Ben complimented, patting him on the shoulder as if a congratulations.

Bruce should be thankful, but he's more upset. Nobody sees Bruce for Bruce, they see him as somebody they can use to get what they want. They look at him and don't see his kindness, his generosity, they see him as somebody they can throw away after usage. Bruce wondered if Vance saw him like that, wondered if the only reason Vance invited him out was to break the "perfect boy" record that Bruce holds high. He didn't like that thought at all, he wasn't sure why. He didn't even know Vance that well.

Benjamin was waiting for a reply, a thank you, and after not receiving one he removed his hand from Bruce's padded shoulder and scratched his neck. "I see your not up for talkin' then," he chuckled awkwardly, as if to signify he was sort of embarrassed. "I have to leave anyone, don't stay 'ere too long, yeah?"

Bruce nodded in reply, not really paying attention to anything he said. He wouldn't admit it but he was upset, very upset, Vance hadn't turned up to his game. Bruce wished Vance had promised, maybe then Vance would've realised he can't break it. But to be honest, he probably would've broken it anyways.

Benjamin was gone by the time bruce had decided to get up and leave, it actually wasn't that long after everybody had left. Dragging his feet against the sand, it scruffed his white socks, turning them a brownish colour.

He shouldn't have cared this much, Vance was just a stupid boy anyways. Who he'd met yesterday, the prettiest boy he'd ever seen.

Bruce, what the fuck?

He shook his head, almost as if to shake those thoughts from his head, it was wrong. To think like that, it was wrong.

Walking on the pavement of the baseball ground, his hair stuck across his sweaty forehead. He wiped it with the back of his wrist, letting the breeze brush through his uncombed messy hair. Bruce had never been stood up, was this even standing him up? It was a public baseball game, not a private affair. What was Bruce going on about this time.

Heading for the gate to exist towards the outside pavement where bustling kids, parents and cars where he let him catch up with his thoughts. It's like he was walking with no direction of where he was going, this was a new feeling, he'd always been directed where to go. But now, it felt as if he'd gone off road. Like Bruce had finally decided to step off the ready made path and run, run through the forest, letting the unknown rummage through him. Letting the unknown burry it's way deep inside him, letting this new feeling explore itself.

A hand grabbed his wrist, it was scary. It made him jump, it was cold. It sent goosebumps up his arm, turning his head quickly at the sudden shock of a random person grabbing a hold him.

He met those sweet blue eyes, covered with curly bangs. He had deep blue eyebags under them and almost a red tint, as if he'd been crying. No, no way, Vance Hopper doesn't cry? It's Vance Hopper. He doesn't cry.

But it's possible, Bruce cried. He cried alot actually, but never publicly. Nobody had ever seen him, locked in his bedroom or school bathroom, nobody ever suspected he'd been crying. It's Bruce Yamada. He doesn't cry.

Nobody spoke for a couple of seconds, they just looked at eachother as if they were both waiting for an explanation. "Bruce.." Vance began, he knew he'd never been stood up before. His tone was soft, no harsh intention behind it. Vance couldn't be mean to Bruce, no matter how hard he tried. "I'm so sorry."

His voice was calmer, quieter, than it usually was. Bruce took notice of this, but still pulled his wrist out of Vance's grip, he swallowed harshly. "Why did you say you'd show up if you weren't going to?"

Vance let his mouth fall open, the people outside of the gates now clearing up. The sky was beginning to grey as the sun was hidden by closing clouds. The wind picked up, brushing the trees side to side and pushing the brown, yellow and green leafs against each of their ankles. He didn't say anything, nothing was able to leave his mouth. Vance didn't have an explanation, or atleast, he didn't have one he could tell Bruce.

"Did you lie to me just to hurt me?" Bruce started, crossing his arms over his chest as the wind tossed his hair around. It flew across his eyes, his lips were dry, chapped. "Maybe you just wanted to see the starboy of North Denver fall into your clutches."

Vance was venomous, addicting. One day with Vance and you already want to stay, it's like his touch was sweet, so sweet, but then you reach the core and it hits you like a wave. The sourness, the bitterness, the nasty taste that envelops your mouth and speeds around you like poison. And Bruce had fallen for that, just one day, and he'd already fallen for it.

"No.. Bruce I-" Vance stepped forward, making Bruce take a step backwards.

"I really wanted you to come, you know, I thought it would've been nice seeing you in the crowd." Bruce said, trying to battle down the tears that dared well up in his eyes. He wasn't upset, no, just disappointed. He wasn't upset, not at all.

"I wanted to come aswell!" Vance tries to reason, he'd finally just got the chance to hang out with the boy he's been in love with since he could remember and to screw it up because of one little thing crushed his heart quicker than ever before. Like his heart was just some sort of grain, being flicked away as if it was nothing.

"Then why didn't you?" Bruce's voice was small, almost inaudible. A whisper, a sheet of paper in the wind. Quiet, soundless, hurt.

No, Bruce wasn't upset.

"Look, I promise I'll make it up to you." Vance began to bargain, trying to express his words with his hands as they fell out in a cluster. He was desperate now, "I can take you out somewhere, just us two. You did have fun yesterday, right?" Vance waited for a reply, he swallowed the lump in his throat.

Bruce debated replying, maybe if he stayed silent Vance would get the hint and leave but at the same time he didn't want Vance to leave. He liked Vance, he was interesting. His eyes held value, hurt, pain, and so much more that Bruce wished he could delve into and search through. Vance was a mystery to many, he was unknown. Nobody knew him really, his name was thrown around this town as if it was nothing. Vances name was twisted, turned, pulled and pushed into anything but what it is. But Bruce, Bruce could see Vance.. or he could try to.. see Vance as who he really is. Who vance wants to be.

He hesitantly answered Vance, he wasn't sure if this was the right decision to make right now. Maybe it'd end in chaos, but maybe.. just maybe it'd end in something more. "Of course I had fun."

Vance sighed in relief, the breath he'd been holding finally escaping its way out of his throat. As if he'd been waiting for the reply, the good reply. "So, maybe I could take you out somewhere. To make up for missing your game," Vance sounded so desperate right now, he knew that, maybe Bruce would be freaked out by it and leave. He hoped not.

"Vance.. I don't.." Bruce swallowed, looking down at the ground, he didn't even know what he was trying to say. All the words that normally formulated in his brain where now turned to dust, he didn't know what was coming out of his mouth. He thought about it, what he was going to say, but still nothing popped up. Bruce's mind was a blank.

Vance could almost feel his heart drop, anticipating for the no and the disgusted look to appear on Bruce's face.

Bruce licked his dry lips, his throat was raw again. Like this reply was taking everything from his body, like this would change his life. It wouldn't, but it felt like it would.

He finally plucked up the courage to look back up at Vance, his eyes looked desperate. As if he was begging Bruce to say yes, like he was genuine about wanting to apologise. Make it up to him.

Bruce wasn't even sure why Vance had decided to skip his game, maybe he had a reason he missed it? Or maybe he just didn't want to go and is now acting as if he couldn't, that's Vance for you. Confusing, annoying, and unstoppable.

"If I say yes.." bruce broke the silence between them, he felt like his thoughts were being searched through by Vance as if he was an open book, "if I said yes, where would you take me?"

"Anywhere." Vance said, "anywhere you'd like."

Bruce already began to regret his answer, his stomach doing back flips as if telling him this was the wrong decision and to turn back now. But he didn't, he was already straying off his designated path so what's going to go wrong if he decides to completely and utterly get lost?

"Fine," Bruce pushed from his tongue, almost as if he'd been clutching it. Holding it from escaping the abyss of his mouth, "take me anywhere."

------
1977 words

It's never too early for some angst, posting this earlier than I wanted to. Hasn't been edited, sorry bout that. Further chapters will be getting better because I'll be editing them, also I'll actually have a set up of what's going to happen (having to plot points for one chapter isn't really doing me well😭)

Hope you enjoyed reading!!

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.5K 383 11
bruce yamada and vance hopper just so happen to be kidnapped and stuck in the basement together. they fight for days to escape the hellhole they are...
12K 316 8
vance gets into a fight with one of bruce's friends from baseball. bruce realizes he has a thing for bad boys. vance realizes he has a thing FOR boys...
12.9K 291 22
There's been murders happening in Denver! People claim to have seen the killers wearing masks that look like a screaming ghost! Everyone's talking ab...
4.8K 86 13
In a shocking twist Bruce finds himself in detention and sitting right in front of town's bad boy, Vance Hopper. They spend detention together, and w...