Beneath Her Skin

By Rome-xx

BOOK TWO: COMPLETE Before Alastriona Breen can continue her ma... More

Authors Note
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Nine
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One
Chapter Twenty-Two
Chapter Twenty-Three
Chapter Twenty-Four
Chapter Twenty-Five
Chapter Twenty-Six
Chapter Twenty-Seven
Chapter Twenty-Eight
Chapter Twenty-Nine
Chapter Thirty
Chapter Thirty-One
Chapter Thirty-Two
Chapter Thirty-Three
Epilogue
Author's Note
PART TWO
Chapter One
Chapter Two
Chapter Three
Chapter Four
Chapter Five
Chapter Six
Chapter Seven
Chapter Eight
Chapter Ten
Chapter Eleven
Chapter Twelve
Chapter Thirteen
Chapter Fourteen
Chapter Fifteen
Chapter Sixteen
Chapter Seventeen
Chapter Eighteen
Chapter Nineteen
Chapter Twenty
Chapter Twenty-One

Chapter Nine

11 1 0
By Rome-xx

Alastriona hummed to herself, swinging her and Draco's intwined hands back and forth as they trekked down to Care of Magical Creatures.

Darcy, Theo, Blaise and Tracey were well ahead of them and Darcy glanced back and rolled her eyes. "You're going to be late!" She called back to the couple.

Alastriona stumbled a little when she tried to speed up but Draco steadied her.
He grinned devilishly, "Race you!"

He took off and Alastriona squealed in laughter and took off after him.
"Cheat!" She shouted after him.
Alastriona pumped her arms harder and had nearly caught Draco! She skidded to a halt and crashed into his back when he stopped with the rest of the class.
"Your back squashed my nose." She complained nasally and from behind her she heard Theo snickering under his breath.

Professor Umbridge stood next to Professor Grubbly-Plank with a clipboard, waiting to assess the class. Professor Umbridge started by asking questions about Hagrid before allowing her to start the lesson.

Alastriona watched Blaise interact flawlessly with the bow truckle before him.

"Now, I hear there have been injuries in this class?" Professor Umbridge's question caused everyone to listen in.

Draco's cheeks flushed red, he said nothing.

"That was Draco, Professor Umbridge, he was maimed by a hippogriff." Pansy's shrill voice called out.

Draco glared at her, "Stay out of this, Parkinson!" He snarled at her.

"A hippogriff?" Professor Umbridge repeated.

"It only attacked because he was too stupid to listen to what Hagrid told him to do." Harry jumped in. 

Alastriona grimaced when Draco scowled at him. "He isn't wrong." Alastriona said lightly. Darcy and Theo stifled their laughter.

Professor Umbridge gave Harry yet another detention before leaving the class.

Alastriona reached up and smoothed away the frown lines on Draco's face. "You'll get wrinkles, Draco."

He chuckled, grabbed her hand and placed a soft kiss on her open palm, he wrapped his arm around her tucking her into him. "Not if I've got you around, love."
From the corner of his eye he could feel Potter, Granger and Weasley staring at him but he ignored them, focusing only on Alastriona and the faint smell of maple syrup lingering around her.
"Did you spill maple syrup this morning?"

Alastriona scoffed. "I swear they're changing the size of the jug daily! Spilt it all over my robes, I changed though," she peered up at him with wide eyes, "does it really smell that obvious?"

Draco just smiled at her, content. 

Alastriona scratched at the skin of her thumb, her other hand was twirling her quill around and around, accidentally making small splatters of ink on the empty sheet of parchment in front of her.
The library was nearly empty, it was a surprisingly bright day outside and most of the Hogwarts students were making the most of it. Alastriona was trying to think of what to write to Uncle Finn and her grandparents and coming up with nothing. 

Since coming back to Hogwarts she'd been having constant nightmares, she'd quit quidditch, broken her toe, nearly got into a fight with a seventh year student and had suffered through the absolute worst Defense Against the Dark Arts classes since Gilderoy Lockhart was her teacher.
There just didn't seem to be any good news to report back to her family.

A warm hand fell down on hers, gripping it tight, Alastriona forced a smile at Darcy and stopped scratching the skin on her thumb.

"Hey." Alastriona greeted her, Darcy sat down next to her with her own parchment and quill. 

"Hey." Darcy said with a sigh. "Can I use your ink?"

Alastriona nodded. "Sure."

"Uncle Finn?" Darcy questioned, she thought it'd been a while since Alastriona had written to her family, not that she could talk. She hadn't spoken to her parents since they kicked her out and sent all her things in boxes to Uncle Finn's house without so much as a note.
When she had a family of her own she would treat every single person with love and respect.

"Yeah, and nana and grandpa. But I can't think of any good news to tell them."

Darcy sighed heavily. "It has been a pretty shit start to the year... just like last year." She said as an after thought, immediately regretting it, their minds going to Cedric. "What about that Potions class last week? You got a perfect score!" She said suddenly. "And quitting quidditch will free up time so you can study more, you can embroider more and you can really look into becoming an animagus."

"How--"

"Red, I remember everything." She said before shrugging, "You've also still got a book on them on your bedside table."

Alastriona laughed quietly. "You're right. Sometimes it's hard to remember the good things..." She wanted to start writing but something was playing on her mind. "Have you thought anymore about Lee?"

Darcy was so grateful she'd asked, she could hardly think of anything else and all she wanted was to talk about her and Lee. "He's pushing me away, Red, and I don't know if I should let him or if I should try harder to hold on. There's a massive part of me that is just so mad 'cause he thinks he can just keep pushing me away and not even try to deal with the problem but..." Darcy sighed, the anger leaving her, tense shoulders dropped. "He's my first boyfriend, I hadn't loved anyone until I met him, it seems wrong to let him go." Her voice cracked and she cleared her throat. "But I hate the idea of hanging onto someone who doesn't want me, or who doesn't want to fight for what we have."
Darcy sighed and gave a tight lipped smile. "I guess I just really needed to talk to you."

"I'm sorry, I know I've been up and down lately." Alastriona said, picking at the skin on her thumb. "I've been a shit friend but everything's just so..." She sighed. "Complicated."

"Finally!"
Alastriona flinched and knocked her ink pot over on her way to her wand.
She swore under her breath when she saw Hermione Granger standing behind her and Darcy's seats. "Bloody hell, Hermione!"

Hermione lowered her surrendered hands when Alastriona put her wand back in her hair.
"Sorry! I've just been looking for you two everywhere, I should've known you'd be in here."

Darcy chuckled. "What's up, Hermione?"

Hermione sat down opposite them and glanced around, she leaned forward and spoke quietly. "Harry, Ron and I are planning something for the next Hogsmeade trip, we'd like you both to meet us at the Hogshead Inn."

"What's this about, Hermione?" Darcy asked.

"It's about Professor Umbridge. We aren't learning what we need to and not just for school but for life too now that... now that V-Voldemort is back."

Darcy inhaled sharply and sat back.

"We have an idea on how we can learn what we need to. We'd like you both there."
Alastriona and Darcy shared a look.

Alastriona smiled at Hermione. "Can Dawn, Theo, Blaise, Tracey and Draco come?"
Hermione opened and closed her mouth.

"Um... I just don't think Harry or Ron would be comfortable with Draco around." She didn't say it but she wouldn't be comfortable with it either. 

Alastriona felt a little ashamed at how easily she'd forgotten about Draco and Hermione's history, the fights, the name calling. Even though Draco had changed so much over the years she knew the wounds caused by him in the past would still take time to heal.
"Just Dawn, Tracey, Theo and Blaise then?"

Hermione smiled and gave a nod. She could convince Harry and Ron of those four at least.

"Okay, we'll meet there in the afternoon."

Once Hermione had left Alastriona and Darcy shared a look.
"Are you going to tell Draco?"

"I'm not sure... maybe. He wouldn't want to come anyway, I'm sure." She said to Darcy. "I really need to write these letters, should we go find them afterwards?"

Darcy nodded and they both turned to their letters, having completely forgotten about the spilt ink covering the table.

"Shit."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

25.7K 429 114
The untold story of Alyssa Potter, Harry's younger twin sister who happened to be a not-so ordinary girl from an orphanage in a small town called Sur...
192K 7.7K 32
Trying to leave the dramatic events of her first year at Hogwarts in the past, y/n l/n prepares to enter her second year. But trouble seems to follow...
4.4K 193 26
βπ˜›π˜©π˜¦ 𝘴𝘦𝘀𝘳𝘦𝘡 𝘸𝘒𝘴 π˜₯𝘒𝘳𝘬, π˜₯𝘒𝘯𝘨𝘦𝘳𝘰𝘢𝘴, 𝘒𝘯π˜₯ 𝘣𝘢𝘳π˜ͺ𝘦π˜₯ π˜₯𝘦𝘦𝘱. 𝘚𝘰 π˜₯𝘦𝘦𝘱, π˜ͺ𝘡 𝘸𝘒𝘴 𝘩𝘒𝘳π˜₯ 𝘡𝘰 𝘬𝘦𝘦𝘱. 𝘈𝘯...
462K 10.1K 54
[book 1/2] Being a Malfoy was hard. Alivia Malfoy was constantly having to meet the standards her parents set, and so that's exactly what she did. Sh...