After All This Time (Steddie)

By banished_artcat

Bless you hellichk.tumblr.com for this absolutely lovely cover I want to print and frame it and keep it forev... More

Ch.1: Harrington
Ch.2: Coming out.
Ch. 3: Realization.
Ch.4: Faithfully
Ch. 5: Eyes Like Amber
Ch.6: Are You Lonely?
Ch. 7: Buckley
Ch. 8: Make Me Tacos
Ch. 9: Burst
Ch. 10: Run Away With Me
Ch.11: New York
Ch. 12: No Take Backs
Ch.13: Let Me Take Care Of You
Ch. 14: Ours
Ch. 15: Forever.
Ch. 16: Corroded Coffin
Ch.17: I'm In Love With A Rockstar
Ch. 18: Young God pt 1
Ch. 19: Young God pt.2
Ch. 21: Boom
Ch. 22: Hot
Ch. 23: Released
Ch. 24: Small Wins
Ch.25: The Apartment
Ch. 26: Home is Wherever I'm With You
Ch. 27: Graduation
Ch. 28: Change
Ch. 29: Steve the Brave
Ch. 30: This Side of Paradise

Ch. 20: Henderson

196 10 64
By banished_artcat

TW; slightly suggestive dialog, emotional moments

The morning came too quickly. Although, it wasn't really morning anymore. It was around noon when I woke up to the phone in Eddie's kitchen ringing loudly and him jumping out of bed to get it. I can only hear his side of the conversation but it sounds like it must be Dustin.

Eddie's sleepy voice barely audible from down the hall. "Hello? .... Hey kid, yeah we're hanging out today... Mhmm... Sure, sure... I'll tell him.... Yes, shithead, we'll be there... No I swear... Okay, fine... See you in a bit, bye." I roll around in the bed, I feel like I need to sleep for at least one more day. My body feels like I got hit by a truck. Not so different from a hangover, at least I'm not puking. Eddie comes back into the room, flopping onto the bed next to me.

"What time do we need to leave?" I peak my head from under the blankets, it's too bright again. Nothing like the lights last night, this time the sunlight peaking in makes my head pound. "An hour. We need to get up and get ready to go pick him up from his house. C'mon. I'll get you some Tylenol.." He wraps his arms around me and pulls the blanket off of my face all the way. I whine and try to pull the blanket back up over my head. "Baby, we have to... please?"

"Ughhh.. This kid is going to be the death of me."

"Yes, but he's waiting on us. He said he tried to call your apartment but because you didn't pick up he figured you were here. Which, you know, he's not wrong. But we have a lot to talk about with him..." He stands up and pulls the blanket off of me quickly. "Up and at 'em. Let's go, Harrington."

"Fuuuck off. I don't want to get up."

"Shit... I really did some damage huh? Look at all those bruises..." He leans down onto the bed and gently touches my chest and stomach. I'm assuming it's pretty bad, considering he's being so soft, and it still hurts.

"Yeah and it hurts like a bitch. I haven't even looked yet."

"You uh.. you might not want to." I open my eyes again, and he's looking at me with the biggest grin. "Sorry. Kinda."

I get up, slowly, and make my way to the shower, turning the water on to warm, hoping it'll ease some of the pain I'm in. I finally get a good look in the mirror. "Oh my god..." I say in a whisper, turning to look at my sides, and back as well. Scratches, bruises, and cuts litter my entire body. Eddie peaks his head into the bathroom, and I mean it's not like he doesn't have marks, but it's just his shoulders and a massive one on his neck. But nothing like what I'm looking at. "Eds I look like I was mauled by a bear."

"I may have.. gotten a little carried away... in my defense you looked so pretty... I couldn't stop... and those noises you made it was just... Okay I'm gonna leave you to your shower now I can't keep talking about it. I uh. I'm sorry. I love you." He kisses me on the cheek and walks away very quickly back into the bedroom, shutting the door behind him.

There's no way I'm going to be able to conceal all of these. My neck has at least 6 hickies that I can see. God knows how many more I have. I get into the shower, hissing from the water hitting the fresh cuts. God damnit Eddie. I try to wash as quickly as I can, wanting to make sure there's enough time and hot water for Eddie to get cleaned up as well.

When I get out, I wrap a towel around me and go back into the bedroom. Eddie's smiling down at the paper with the song we wrote together last night. "This has got to be the most real thing I've ever seen. Your writing skills are immaculate. You're sure that's the first time you've written music?"

I grab a bag that I had brought over, pulling on a pair of boxers. "Yeah, I uh... was inspired." I smile and grab jeans and a shirt from my bag as well. "I swear I'm going to have to have you write more for Corroded. If you can come up with this, I can't imagine what else you could write."

"We'll see about that. Now go shower and get ready, we gotta go soon." He gets up and goes off to the bathroom to shower as well. I hear him yell, "YOU'VE GOT TO BE KIDDING ME?!" From the bathroom. I dry my hair quickly, and go over to the bathroom, and open the door a little. "What did I do?" "STEVE. Look at my neck. How the fuck am I supposed to cover this?" He points to the side of his neck, and I snicker a little. "I have no idea. Good luck. Sorry, kinda." I close the door and he's mumbling to himself and I hear the shower turn on. In the kitchen there's tylenol on the counter for me, and the coffee pot has been brewed. Thank god.

I quickly drink a cup of coffee, taking the Tylenol and grab a pack of poptarts from the cabinet. They taste awful, and dry. But my stomach is complaining from being so empty, so I need to eat something. Is this what everyone feels like after taking what we did?

Eddie comes back out, and disappears into his room to get dressed. I hear him thumping around, and he comes back out rubbing the towel through his hair. "You still have eyeliner on."

"What? I washed my face!"

"It's running down your cheeks like you've been crying. Very Alice Cooper."

"YOU know who Alice Cooper is?"

I roll my eyes. "Everyone does. I'm not living under a rock, you know. I listen to more than just The Smiths and Tears For Fears... Give me some credit here, you've been shoving your music at me for years!"

"I'm just surprised. No need to get defensive, princess."

My stomach flips. "Don't start. Let's go get Henderson." He smiles a shit eating grin at me. "Awwwe baby you're no fun." A fake pout crosses his face, and we go outside to get into the van. My car is pulled over to the side of the trailer, still defaced with the awful words those guys decided to call me and Eddie. "I'm working with a guy to see if we can get it repainted for you. I have some windows I ordered through the mechanic's shop that I'll put in for you next week. Okay?" I nod slowly. It still stings. And now we have to tell Dustin about us. I don't know what he's going to say, or how he'll react. But I'm sure it won't be anything like the way we were treated by Tyler and the rest of those goons. 

The drive to Dustin's house isn't too long, and when we get there we see a very impatient looking kid on the porch. Although, he's not much of a kid anymore I guess. Freshly 18, and ready to concur the world.

"You getting in or not, Henderson?" He smiles widely and runs over and hops into the back of the van. "Where's your car, Harrington?"

"Oh it's uh. I'm getting it worked on..."

"Okay weirdo. I've missed you guys!" He wraps his arms around the front seat, giving a makeshift kind of hug. "I missed you too, kid. How's everyone in Cali?"

"Oh they're doing great. Nancy's zooming through journalism school. Go figure. And Jonathan's almost through with his photography degree. Thinks he's going to be a professional nature photographer... they're doing really good. What's been going on with you two?"

"Well we actually have something to talk to you about." Eddie pulls out of the driveway and we start driving towards my apartment. "Oh? Something exciting happening?"

"Let's wait to talk about it once we get to my place, yeah?"

"Sure man, that's fine. Hey do you mind if we listen to music? All Mike and Will listen to is The Ramones and I am SICK of it." Eddie turns the stereo on to play one of the many Metallica albums he has. I swear he's got copies in his room, the van, a couple at my place. We ride just listening to the songs until we get back to my place and go inside.

"So, what did you wanna talk to me about?" Eddie and Dustin go into the living room and sit on the couch, and I go grab a couple of sodas from the fridge, and sit in a chair, handing a soda to them both. "So let me start this with we both love you very much." Eddie wraps an arm around his shoulders, and Dustin pushes him off laughing. "Shut the fuck up, c'mon be serious. What's going on?"

"Eddie and I are... well... We're in a relationship."

"FUCKS SAKE FINALLY"

"Language!" Dustin rolls his eyes and laughs again. "Wait.. finally? What's that supposed to mean?"

"Oh come on, Steve. You guys have been dancing around this for years. We had a bet on how long it would take you both to get your heads out of your asses and realize you're in love. Max wins by the way. I don't know if I want to tell her, I'll owe her $10." He looks down at the floor, shaking his head.

"What? So you all have known this whole time?"

"Well not that you're dating no, but that there's no possible way that you guys weren't in love. Eddie is not as good as he thinks is playing off his flirting as a joke. You're just blind, Harrington."

"You guys are a bunch of assholes!" I laugh, and take a drink of my soda. "So you don't care, like at all?"

"No man, Will's gay. You know that. He's still one of my best friends. Why would you guys being together change anything?"

I get up, and wrap him in a huge hug. "Thanks kid..." He hugs me back, tightly. "Of course." Eddie joins the hug too, "Dustin, I owe you one."

We let go. "Why do you owe me anything?"

"You're kinda the reason we even know each other, man. I can't thank you enough for any of that."

He smiles and pats Eddie on the back. "I'm glad that I did. Now I have a mom and a dad!"

"Dustin I swear to god..." I shake my head, pinching my forehead between my eyes with my fingers. Eddie and him both burst out laughing.

"So, any other news I should know about?"

"About that... what would you say if I told you we're moving?"

"WHAT?! NO YOU'RE NOT ALLOWED TO MOVE!"

"We kinda have to, Henderson. Tyler and his stupid friends are basically threatening our lives. We can't stay here man. It's not safe anymore." I look down at the floor, with a flash of memories. "It's... why I don't have my car."

"What happened to your car? I thought you said you're getting it worked on?" Dustin looks over at me confused. My heart twinges, I feel so awful for having to tell him we're leaving. But there's no better option.

"They... broke all my windows. Spray painted it. And then threatened to kill me at the video store..."

"THEY WHAT?! Oh my god Steve.. I'm so sorry. What assholes... I can't believe they would do that to you... I mean, we're all graduating and going off to college soon. I guess it makes sense that you wouldn't be here forever. I just... I'm gonna miss you a lot. Where are you thinking about going?"

"Well, we're thinking New York..." Eddie sighs softly.

"Shit.. really?" He looks so sad. It's breaking my heart to have to tell him like this. "Yeah.. we have an appointment to look at an apartment next week."

"Are you still coming to graduation?"

"Of course we'll be there. I wouldn't miss that for the world, kid."

"Good." He smiles to me softly, trying to mask that he's really sad that we're leaving. I can still see the sadness in his eyes, though. This is going to hurt, leaving Hawkins. But it's going to be good for us in the long run. I honestly believe that.

"So, what're we gonna do tonight?" Dustin kind of shakes his head, like he was zoning out and coming back to reality.

"Well we can just hangout, watch movies. The usual?"

"Yeah, the usual sounds... sounds really good."

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

23.3K 442 12
*complete* *** In which two boys fall madlessly in love by accident *** "You really are a piece of work Harrington, you know that?" The metal-head...
390K 12.9K 53
Steve's always been the jealous one according to the group, according to literally everyone. Even the kid who supposedly praises him. Everyone tells...
7.3K 250 14
Steve always had a close bond with all the kids. Except he always felt like he never had a bond with Max. Weather it was because he despised her brot...
482 27 8
Steve POV Eddie and Steve have known each other since middle school. It wasn't until the recent touch with the Upsidedown had they really gotten clos...