Devil in me || Harvey Dent ||...

By -JeromeValeska

In which a vigilante has to find the killer of her bosses and the only people she can trust are two Detective... More

Act I - Devil In Me
Chapter 1 | Tragedy
Chapter 2 | Four down
Chapter 3 | Law and Order
Chapter 4 | Serve and Protect
Chapter 5 | Control
Chapter 7 | Priorities
Chapter 8 | Survivor's guilt
Chapter 9 | Arkham
Chapter 10 | Irregularities
Chapter 11 | Venom
Chapter 12 | Goatwatch
Chapter 13 | No heroes
Chapter 14 | Exit wound
Chapter 15 | Nothing to lose
Chapter 16 | Bad investments
Chapter 17 | Dynamic duo
Chapter 18 | Temperamental
Chapter 19 | Heads or tails
Chapter 20 | Rage
Chapter 21 | Good and bad news
Chapter 22 | The ultimatum
Chapter 23 | Owls and bats
Chapter 24 | Electric sparks
Chapter 25 | Where demons thrive
Chapter 26 | Big moves
Chapter 27 | Favors
Chapter 28 | All in the family
Chapter 29 | Something to fear
Chapter 30 | The two faces of fear
Chapter 31 | Family feud
Chapter 32 | Something wicked this way comes
Chapter 33 | Legacy
Chapter 34 | Red masks
Chapter 35 | War stories
Chapter 36 | Salvation
Chapter 37 | Consequences
Chapter 38 | Burning questions
Chapter 39 | A little bird told me
Chapter 40 | Hidden evidence
Chapter 41 | Revenge
Chapter 42 | Threats
Chapter 43 | Interrogations
Chapter 44 | Vengeance
Chapter 45 | No rest to the wicked
Chapter 46 | All hell breaks loose
Chapter 47 | Trust
Chapter 48 | Guilty
Act 2 - In the shadows
Chapter 49 | Numb
Chapter 50 | The debt
Chapter 51 | A new day
Chapter 52 | Risks
Chapter 53 | Night at Wayne Manor
Chapter 54 | Light 'em up
Chapter 55 | Swear to me
Chapter 56 | Flesh wound

Chapter 6 | Nightmares

182 13 2
By -JeromeValeska

6 | Nightmares

"For most people, it's history now. But for me, whenever I close my eyes, it all comes back clearly".

Lilith and Jim Gordon were once again sitting in the study of Wayne Manor. Alfred was telling them about Bruce as he looked through one of the two windows. The butler was extremely worried about the boy.

"He's not been sleeping," Alfred told them. "And when he does, he has these nightmares".

"That's normal after what he went through," Lilith explained. "I went through the same thing after my parents were killed".

Truth was, she still had them. That masked man still haunted her after thirteen years.

Alfred nodded absent-mindedly. "Yes, but... now he's hurting himself. Burning himself. He's cutting".

"I'll talk to him," Lilith said also concerned. Alfred turned to face her and Gordon with the hope that perhaps they could convince Bruce to stop hurting himself. The butler didn't know what else to do.

"Is he getting professional help?" Jim asked.

Alfred grimaced. "Oh, you mean psychiatrists. Oh, no, none, he won't have them. No psychiatrists, that's a rule".

Gordon stood up. "You make the rules, don't you? You're his guardian".

"Now, Bruce's father..." Alfred paused as he stepped away from the window and stood before the Detective, "...gave me very firm orders was him and his missus to die. Now I will raise the boy the way his father told me to raise him".

"Which is how?" Jim asked, stepping closer to the butler.

"Trust him to choose his own course," Alfred answered. "He is, after all, a Wayne".

"Sounds like a recipe for disaster," the Detective said and a corner of Lilith's mouth raised for a quick second. "What do you want us to do?"

"He wants you to talk some sense into me".

The trio turned their heads to see Bruce had just walked into the room.

Alfred wasn't impressed, not in the slightest, and pointed a finger at the boy. "Haven't I told you to stop creeping up on people like that. It's bloody rude".

"All right then, Bruce," Jim spoke calmly. "Talk to me".

"I'm perfectly fine," answered the boy as he sent a glare towards his butler. "Alfred's a worrywart".

"What'd you do to your hand?" The Detective asked and Bruce cast his eyes down.

Lilith leaned forward to grab her teacup and for a second, was able to see the circular red mark on the palm of Bruce's right hand.

"I burned it".

She took a sip of the tea. Peppermint. It smelled great and it tasted even better. Meanwhile, Jim was still trying to get to Bruce, although, she was sure he would go nowhere. Not with his approach. "Listen to me, Bruce. You've been through a terrible experience. Talking to someone can be very helpful".

"You must have seen terrible things in the war, does it- does it help you to talk about what you saw?" Bruce asked in return.

Jim took a second too long to answer. "Yes, a little".

The boy didn't fall for it. "You're not a very good liar".

"Bruce, you're hurting yourself," Jim stated.

"I'm testing myself," Bruce corrected, his tone rising as he started growing fed up. "Different, but I appreciate your-"

"Bruce". The boy stopped and looked at Lilith, who calmly took another sip of her tea. "Sit here with me. These cookies Alfred brought are delicious. And the tea, wow, he told me peppermint is your favorite".

The boy forgot all about the conversation with Jim, or pretended to, and sat down next to Lilith. While she prepared the third cup Alfred had brought from the kitchen, the butler and Jim shared a look.

"Thought we could go out for a ride today as we've planned". Lilith placed two spoons of sugar in the cup and once she mixed it in, she gave it a soft blow. Bruce remembered it was exactly what his mother used to do whenever the tea was too hot. Then Lilith handed him the cup and one of the lemon cookies.

While Bruce took a sip, Lilith looked at a stunned Alfred and sent him a wink.

After taking a bite from his cookie, Bruce turned to Jim once again. "I've been following your adventures in the newspapers. I feel very sorry for all those poor children".

"Me too," Jim said with relief as he sat down. Truth was, he didn't know what else to say to stop the boy from hurting himself. He never had to deal with that kind of situation and when his own father died, he had nobody there to talk to him. Lilith, however, seemed to be handling the situation well. He had made his research on her. No husband. No kids. But the way she dealt with Bruce... almost motherly.

"I'll give you some money to give to them," Bruce said and then took another bite out of his cookie.

"I'm afraid it doesn't work that way, Bruce," Jim told him sadly.

The boy was confused. "What way does it work?"

"Those children need someone who cares for them," Jim's eyes went to Alfred and then to Lilith. "Like you have right here. Money won't buy that".

Lilith hoped she just could take them all to her house and take care of them. But of course, that wasn't possible.

"There must be something I can do," Bruce said. Lilith smiled at his kindness. His parents were so proud of him. Even Lilith was proud and he wasn't her son. "What about clothes? They all looked awfully ragged".

Jim was also amazed by the boy's maturity and kindness. "They did, didn't they?"

"I'll be donating some of mine too," Lilith added.

Bruce finished his tea and ate the rest of his cookie. Then he turned to Lilith. "Can we go now?"

"Master Bruce!" Alfred exclaimed with a disapproving look directed at the boy. "Where are your manners?"

"I'm sorry," Bruce apologized to Lilith.

She chuckled. "It's okay. We can go now if you want". Lilith stood up and straightened her clothes. Bruce was already up and running towards the door.

"No running," Alfred reminded.

Bruce stopped to look back and waited for Lilith to join before making his way out the door.

"Excuse Master Bruce," Alfred sent Lilith an apologetic look when they stepped outside. Jim followed them. "He got his love for cars from his father. Although I have to say I never saw him so excited for one before".

"Whatever works, right?" Lilith smiled and took the key out. When she unlocked the car, the engine roared to life. It made Bruce smile.

"Master Bruce, where do you think you're going?" Alfred asked when he saw Bruce open the door to the driver's seat.

"Nowhere," Bruce said innocently. "I'm just opening the door for Lilith".

Lilith chuckled and walked towards the car before Bruce lost his patience and decided to drive it himself. She got in and the boy closed the door for her. In an instant, Bruce was sitting on the passenger's seat next to her.

"You see this here, Bruce?" Lilith asked, pointing at a screen behind the wheel. He leaned closer. "Here you can choose how loud you want the exhaust to sound". She pressed a button on the wheel. "This is the normal mode. I love the way it purrs, so this is the one I usually use". Another button and the car went silent. "I only use this when I have a headache". She placed it back on normal mode and Bruce preferred it that way as well.

"You better drive carefully," Jim warned playfully and both Bruce and Lilith looked at him through the open window on the driver's side.

"Yes, sir," Bruce said and Alfred smiled as he saw the boy happy again.

"See you in a bit, Alfred," she saluted the butler before waving at Jim. "Don't write me a ticket, Detective". Then her Mustang left in the direction of the gates.

Bruce was attentive to everything Lilith did. Every press of the pedal. Every release. Every gear change. The perfect student.

"Your parents ever taught you anything about driving?" Lilith asked, but quickly regretted. She didn't want to mention his parents when he was so happy. She glanced at Bruce for a second and cursed silently when he looked down at his feet.

"No. My mother didn't drive and my father said he was going to teach me, but..." his voice faded, "...he never had time".

Lilith desperately tried to think of something to say. "I'll teach you then".

Bruce immediately looked back up at her. "Really?"

Lilith smiled. "Really. But for now just look at what I do, okay?"

He nodded, even though he was already studying every movement she made.

After a while, the Mustang came to a stop by the Harbour. Lilith shut off the engine and turned on her seat to face Bruce.

"Now listen to me, Bruce". When he stared attentively at her, she continued. "There's a place inside Wayne Enterprises, which was made to test military vehicles with WayneTech technology. It has more than enough space. I'll take you there and I'll teach you how to drive".

His eyes widened but tried not to show his eagerness. "Thank you".

"But..." Lilith raised a finger and a crease appeared on Bruce's forehead, "...only if you promise to stop that whole testing yourself thing and trying to conquer fear nonsense".

"But—"

Lilith raised her finger again. "No buts, Bruce".

Bruce sighed and gave up defeated. "Fine. I'll stop".

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

151K 5.1K 34
Charlotte Bateman was Edward Nygma's partner and best friend. She was in love with him, but he was already in love with another woman, Kristen Kringl...
26.2K 496 31
Gotham city, a place run by mob bosses and the notorious Bat. A girl gets orphanated at a very young age and grows up dealing with the trauma. During...
15.9K 421 49
Joker felt an arm wrap around him, and he flinched, kicking them away with a gasp. His eyes widened when he watched Bruce Wayne stumble back with a s...
14.2K 830 56
Moving to Gotham City was supposed to be the start of a new chapter for Holly Gordon, but soon she realizes there's no such thing as living a normal...