ππŽπ– πŽπ‘ 𝐍𝐄𝐕𝐄𝐑 ― r...

By -JASONSGRACE

keep dreaming like we'll live forever. [ ricky bowen x original character ] [ book three in the goddess serie... More

disclaimer
now or never
epigraph
001
002
003
004
005
006
007
008
009
010
011
012
013
014
016
017
018
author's note
BOOK FOUR

015

1.9K 94 41
By -JASONSGRACE

┏━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┓

𝗡𝗢𝗪 𝗢𝗥 𝗡𝗘𝗩𝗘𝗥

chapter fifteen:
you broke her !

┗━━━━━━༻❁༺━━━━━━┛

THE HYPE OF the dance had started to die down as the night began to come to a close. Everybody was milking around the barn, trying to soak up the last few minutes of fun before it would be time to go to sleep — before opening night tomorrow, might Athena add.

She currently was standing next to Ricky, his arm wrapped around her waist. Ricky was currently in the middle of explaining to some guy about what had happened during the High School Musical auditions for whatever reason. Athena was kind of following along, but she was mostly glancing towards the place Violetta had disappeared to, hoping to catch a glimpse of her best friend.

"So then I burst in the door, and I go to say am I too late?, but then I see this one singing an original song for her audition," Ricky was saying, nodding his head down to Athena. "I immediately froze because she was incredible."

Violetta suddenly quickly walked out from backstage. Athena went to smile at her, but it immediately slipped off her face from seeing how tears were falling freely down her cheeks. Athena removed herself from under Ricky's arm and took a worried step forwards.

"Vi," Athena said softly. "Hey, Violetta, hold on—"

Suddenly, Violetta dropped the bag she was holding. It caused her things to fall out. Violetta let out a loud sob and bent down, her breathing erratic as she tried to pick up her things, but couldn't because her hands were shaking so bad. Athena felt her heart stop. She had never seen Violetta so frantic.

Athena also took note to the absence of the ring on her left middle finger, which had been given to her by EJ.

"Violetta," Athena repeated, getting to her level. "Violetta, breathe."

"I — I can't," Violetta choked out, dropping another thing and letting out yet another sob. "I — I can't breathe."

Ricky crouched down as well and went to help her pick things up, noticing how bad of a state she was in right now. "Hey, Vi, it's okay. It's okay."

Violetta took her bag back once everything was inside, thanks to Athena and Ricky doing it for her. She immediately walked out of barn, crying harder as she did so. Athena stared after her, feeling her heart sink all the way down to her stomach.

"I have to go," Athena rushed out. She looked up at Ricky. "I can't leave her. Not when she's like that."

"Go," Ricky approved. He leaned down and pressed a quick kiss to her forehead. "I love you."

"To the moon and to Saturn," Athena promised, but she was already walking away.

Athena exited the doors of the barn. She walked down the steps and looked around. There was no sign of Violetta anywhere. She then heard crying sounds from the back of the barn. Athena rounded around the back, to the very same place where she had gone after her and Ricky's intense duet. Violetta was sitting on the ground, her face buried in her knees, which she had tucked into her chest. Athena frowned.

She slowly approached her. Athena didn't say anything as she sat down next to Violetta. Violetta would speak if she wanted to, and Athena was going to be there to listen. It seemed like Violetta knew it was Athena, because he didn't yell at her to go away, like she probably would with EJ.

Athena felt her heart break more and more at each sob Violetta let out. Her entire body was shaking at each sob as well, almost like heartbreak was ricocheting through her.

Finally, Violetta pulled her face out of her hands, instead threading her fingers through her hair and pushing it back away from her, ruining the hairstyle she had in for Prom. Athena took note of her blotchy face and how many tears were falling. Concern shot throughout her entire body. Violetta had never cried this hard, at least not that Athena had seen.

There was only one answer to what made her be like this, and Athena knew what it was, especially after seeing the ring Violetta always wore was gone.

"You ended it," Athena began. "Didn't you?"

Violetta nodded, pressing the heels of her palms onto her temples.

"I'm so sorry, Vi."

"I'm stupid," Violetta cried, her chest heaving up and down as she struggled to breathe. "I'm so stupid."

"Violetta, come on," Athena protested softly. "You're not stupid."

"Yes, I am. I'm so stupid to believe that he and I would work. I should've never let my guard down."

"Vi, hold on a second."

"I should've never tried," Violetta continued, wiping away some tears with the back of her hand. "I should've known that it would turn out like this. My entire life it's been pain, after pain, after pain. I was hoping this time would be different."

"You had a right to believe that," Athena replied. "EJ treated you so well. He might be distracted by the musical, but you didn't deserve to be left to the side."

"I . . . I love him," Violetta said. She looked up at Athena, her eyes glassy. "I still do."

Athena gave her a small, sad smile. She reached over and put her arms around Violetta, bringing her closer into her. Violetta rested her head on Athena's shoulder, and Athena placed her own head on top of Violetta's.

"Hey, Vi?" Athena began quietly.

Violetta sniffled. "Yeah?"

"For whatever it's worth . . . I love you."

The girl let out another sob and tucked herself into Athena more. "It means everything."

Athena hugged her a little tighter. "Come on. How about crying on the grass behind the barn, we take you to go cry in the Honeycomb?"

Violetta nodded against her shoulder. "Okay."

Athena removed her arms from around her and stood up. She offered her hand out to Violetta, who took it and used it to pull herself up. Athena interlocked their fingers together and gently squeezed her hand. Her and Violetta walked back to the Honeycomb, not saying a word. They didn't have to.

They entered the cabin, only to see that the other girls were there as well. Ashlyn was sitting next to Kourtney on Kourtney's bunk while Maddox and Gina stood by their shared bunk beds.

"Hey," Violetta said quietly to all of them.

"Hey," Maddox replied. Her eyebrows then knit in concern, noticing her running makeup and ruined hair. "Are you okay?"

Violetta glanced up at Athena for help. Athena gave her a small nod. It was evident that Violetta wasn't that ready to talk about it to anyone else.

"Um, she just broke up with EJ," Athena revealed, and the rest of them got shocked looks on their faces. "So, maybe let's not mention him for the rest of the night, okay?"

"I guess tonight did end with a bang," Ashlyn stated.

"Well, as long as it ends soon," Kourtney voiced. "I mean, who knows? Maybe I can wake up as someone else."

Athena frowned at that. Nevertheless, she felt Violetta remove her hand from hers so she could put her bag down on her bunk. Athena reached up and ran the planet Saturn charm on her necklace back and forth.

Ashlyn stood up. "Hey, Kourt, can I borrow your prayer?" Kourtney nodded, and Ashlyn started to sing. "You're not alone."

"You're not alone," Gina and Ashlyn sang together, Gina stepping up to stand next to Ashlyn.

Athena nudged Violetta with her elbow and looked down at her best friend as her, Violetta, and Maddox joined in. "You're not alone."

Violetta gave her a soft smile through her tears. Kourtney then stood up, and all of them surrounded her, Athena and Violetta walking up to get closer to Kourtney.

"You're not alone," all of them recited. "You're not alone."

There was only way for Kourtney to conquer her anxiety and take the challenge. She had to climb the wall.

All of the girls left the Honeycomb cabin, heading over to the climbing wall that they had used in Color War. Kourtney put on the harness and the helmet before Maddox attached her to the rope. She stared up at the wall before deciding to go for it. Kourtney started to climb.

Athena watched in pride as Kourtney climbed to the top of the rock. She wrapped an arm around Violetta's shoulder and pulled her in closer. Violetta leaned her head against Athena's and nestled comfortably into her side. Ashlyn then put her arm around Violetta as well.

There was then the girl in question standing next to Athena. Athena looked over at Gina, debating with herself for a moment. Gina's words had hit her hard and they had really hurt her. The argument was still at the front of Athena's mind, but . . . maybe Athena could be the bigger person and not let Gina get to her. Athena extended her arm out to Gina, giving her a small smile. Gina stared at her before falling into her embrace. That argument definitely wasn't forgotten about, and they had some things to work out, but maybe the two of them could start over — for real this time.

Kourtney finally reached the top. All of them cheered loudly for her under the stars.

"Hey, Gadget?" Ashlyn asked, putting an arm around Maddox. "You know you're one of us now, right?"

Once Kourtney got down, her, Maddox, Gina, and Ashlyn all decided to go back to the Honeycomb. However, Athena had suggested to Violetta that the two of them take a walk around camp. They walked aimlessly, Violetta's arm linked through Athena's.

"I'm sorry for ruining your night," Violetta said quietly.

Athena looked over at her, her eyebrows knitting in confusion. "What do you mean?"

"You were supposed to spend it with Ricky—"

"Ricky isn't the only one who I was supposed to spend it with. I was supposed to spend it with you, too. And I am."

"Yeah, with me crying," Violetta commented.

"I admit that isn't the way I imagined this night going, but it's okay," Athena replied. "Violetta, seriously. You didn't ruin my night at all. I just want to make sure you're okay."

"I'm not."

"It's okay not to be. You just went through a lot." Athena bumped their shoulders together. "You need someone right now, and I'm way more than willing to be that person. What are best friends for?"

"Athena . . ." Violetta trailed off. "Um, is this how you felt? When you and Ricky broke up? All empty inside?"

She looked down at the ground in thought as she walked. Athena remembered how crushed she felt when she had given Ricky her necklace, and how much it hurt when her and Ricky broke up officially. Empty was exactly the word to describe it.

"Yeah," Athena confirmed. "It was."

Speaking of Ricky, he then appeared in front of the two of them. His curls were wet and his button-up was haphazardly buttoned. There was also a towel slung around his neck.

"Hi," Athena greeted.

"Hey," Ricky said. "You look . . ."

"Awful?" Violetta finished. She let out a watery laugh. "Yeah, I know."

"I was going to say sad, but all right."

Violetta blinked at him. "Why are you wet?"

"Long story," Ricky admitted. "Uh, so, were you two going somewhere?"

"I decided to take Violetta for a walk around camp to get some fresh air . . . even though we were already outside," Athena explained.

"She's trying to distract me from my first breakup," Violetta added.

Ricky's eyes slightly widened. "Oh. That's why you were—"

"Absolutely bawling my eyes out? Yeah. Rough time."

Violetta's eyes then caught on something in the distance. Athena followed her gaze and Ricky turned, only to see that it was EJ. EJ stopped in his tracks once he saw Violetta. Athena narrowed his eyes at him, daring him to come any closer. EJ turned back around and walked back where he had come from.

"I — um, I actually think I'm gonna go back to the cabin," Violetta revealed quietly. "Maybe go cry in the shower."

Athena frowned. "Vi—"

"I just need some alone time, if you don't mind."

Athena didn't want to leave her, but Violetta's eyes were so pleading and glassy from tears that Athena didn't have it in her to say no. "I don't mind. I'll be back later, okay?"

"Okay," Violetta agreed softly. "Hey, can I borrow your phone? I want to listen to Dear John through my headphones while laying in my bunk and hugging a pillow to my chest."

"That was oddly specific. And sure. It's on my bunk by my pillows."

"'Kay. I'll see you later. Night, Ricky."

"Night, Vi," Ricky voiced as Violetta walked off towards the Honeycomb. Athena continued to stare at EJ's retreating figure, and Ricky followed her gaze. "What are you—"

"I'm going to yell at him," Athena decided.

"Athena, let's think about this for a moment," Ricky insisted.

"Okay." She paused for a moment. "I've thought about it, and I'm still going to yell at him."

She headed up the hill as fast as she could go in her stupid shoes. Athena finally caught up to EJ.

"Hey," Athena called, making EJ stop in his tracks. "Do you want to tell me why Vi just sobbed to the point where she couldn't breathe and called herself stupid? What the hell have you done?"

"What have I done?" EJ responded. "She's the one who just ended it!"

"And she wouldn't have done that for no reason!"

EJ sighed tiredly. "Athena, I really don't need this right now, so if you could please just leave me alone."

Athena crossed her arms. "Not when it involves my best friend. Violetta has been hurt so many times before, and you knew that. She needed someone who would care for her the way that she deserves. I thought that was going to be you." Athena's voice shook. "I — I trusted you."

"'Thena, please—" EJ began.

"No. You had me believing that you could give Violetta the world, but instead you made it all come crashing down. All I've ever wanted was for her to be happy, for her to finally have somebody to call her own. You were supposed to be that person. You were that person." Athena shook her head. "But apparently not anymore."

"Athena, you don't get it."

"But I do," Athena argued. "EJ, I've seen what's going on with you. You're stressed about the director job, you're stressed about the documentary, and you're stressed about college. And you're trying, I know you are. But you also know who else knows that? Violetta. She's been there for you every step of the way, but in turn, you pushed her away and made her feel like she meant nothing to you. You should've seen how she started to seclude into herself, you should've seen that what you were doing to her was breaking her apart. And you know what you did? You did the one thing you said you wouldn't, the one thing I believed you wouldn't." Athena's eyes blazed with anger. "You broke her."

EJ took that blow harder than the others. His body even seemed to recoil from it. EJ averted his gaze to the ground, and Athena started to see his hands shake by his sides.

"And you have to live with that," Athena said quietly. "Congratulations, EJ. Breaking a girl even further than she already was. I hope you're happy."

"I'm not," EJ replied.

Athena stared at him. "Good."

Having absolutely nothing left to say, Athena turned around and walked away from EJ. Anger towards EJ but sadness for him and Violetta was surging through veins. She really didn't know how to deal with it besides screaming, and considering opening night was tomorrow she just couldn't do that, so she decided to do the next best thing to shock her out of her state.

"Attie," Ricky called gently, following after her. "Where are you going?"

"To jump in the pool," Athena answered simply.

"Um . . . why?"

"I'm thinking it'll cool me down and shock me out of this rage I'm having."

"Are you sure that's the best idea?" Ricky questioned.

"No, but I'm going to do it anyways," Athena responded.

She passed the gates into the pool. Nobody was there, thankfully. The blue water was illuminated by the lights around the pool, and it reflected onto Athena's skin. She removed her headband, slipped off her shoes, and took off her socks, leaving them to the side. Without a second thought in her mind, she dove into the water. It was slightly cold since it was nighttime, but she didn't mind.

Athena swam to the surface, her clothes sticking to her skin. She still felt the same emotions that she did before, but at least now she didn't want to scream. Seems like her plan worked.

"Better?" Ricky inquired.

"Almost." She swam over to the edge of the pool and placed her elbows on the concrete, resting her chin on the top of her hands. Athena looked up at him. "It would be better if you were in here with me, though."

"I will if you want me to."

"I mean, you're already wet. Might as well."

Athena watched as Ricky unbuttoned his button-down. He took it off, leaving him shirtless with just a gold chain around his neck. Athena felt her cheeks and the back of her neck get warm and she averted her gaze down to the blue water. She had seen Ricky shirtless countless of times due to her pool and when he changed shirts in front of her, but it still managed to make her completely smitten and weak to her knees.

It was the gold chain's fault this time.

Ricky took off his shoes and socks and dove into the pool. Athena stayed in the same position at the edge of the pool. She felt Ricky swim up next to her and place his elbows on the concrete as well. Athena looked over at him as he put his chin on his hands, just like her.

"Your makeup's running," Ricky commented. He reached to the side and ran a thumb under her eye, sending shivers up Athena's spine. When he pulled it away, it showed both black mascara and the pink of her eyeliner. "You look like you just had a meltdown."

"I was close to one," Athena admitted. "Before I jumped in the pool."

He tapped their elbows together. "What's going on in that pretty little head of yours?"

Athena smiled softly at the compliment, but it fell off of her face a moment later. "I'm worried. For Vi, I mean. I've seen her cry before, but . . . not like that. That was different. You didn't hear her behind the barn. All I want is for her to be happy, but the universe just keeps throwing everything at her."

"Doesn't Vi always say that the universe just screws everything up?"

She let out a small laugh. "Yeah, she does. I was just hoping that it wouldn't screw this up. She was so happy with EJ. I've never seen her glow that much."

"Okay, come here," Ricky voiced. He removed his arms from the concrete and snagged them around Athena's waist, pulling her in closer to him through the water. Athena wound her arms around his neck, staring at him curiously. "Things have gone terribly wrong today, haven't they? Vi broke up with EJ, she cried hard, and you yelled at EJ."

"Where are you going with this?" Athena asked.

"Oh, no, that was it. I'm just stating things."

"Cool." Athena slightly smiled at the way Ricky laughed. "But yeah, things have gone terribly wrong."

"There's always tomorrow," Ricky told her. "And tomorrow's opening night."

"And your birthday."

"I can't wait to get my present," Ricky said, his eyes glinting.

Athena's eyes narrowed at him. "I'm still not telling you what it is."

Ricky scoffed. He removed his arms from around Athena and used his arms to send a huge wave splashing over Athena. She gasped from the sudden water hitting her and splashed him back, giggling at the look on his face. Ricky lunged forwards in the water, and Athena swam away from him, laughing as he chased her around the pool.

At least they ended the night happy.

═ • ° • ✧ • ° • ═

VIOLETTA MY GIRL I'M SO SORRY

also this is so off topic but they KNEW what they were doing when they made josh and matt get shirtless and only have gold chains on while they got water poured over their heads they KNEW

Continue Reading

You'll Also Like

8.7K 449 19
I still do want you to want me like I'm wanting you. [ ej caswell x original character ] [ book three in the fallin' series ] [ part of the good time...
76.5K 2.7K 30
No kissing? Then how are people supposed to believe it? HSMTMTS Season One / Original Character Β©JJ 1/20/2020 - 8/25/2...
181K 4.9K 30
"𝑻𝒆𝒍𝒍 π’Žπ’† π’˜π’‰π’‚π’• π’šπ’π’– π’˜π’‚π’π’• 𝒕𝒐 𝒉𝒆𝒂𝒓 π‘Ίπ’π’Žπ’†π’•π’‰π’Šπ’π’ˆ 𝒕𝒉𝒂𝒕 π’˜π’Šπ’π’ π’π’Šπ’ˆπ’‰π’• 𝒕𝒉𝒐𝒔𝒆 𝒆𝒂𝒓𝒔 π‘Ίπ’Šπ’„π’Œ 𝒐𝒇 𝒂𝒍𝒍 𝒕𝒉𝒆...
19.4K 1K 19
our best days are yet unknown. [ ricky bowen x original character ] [ book four in the goddess series ] [ part of the good times and the bad ones ser...